Thoughts on the Hydra

Let me start off by saying, I think the Hydra is a good addition to Halo 5… I don’t want 343i to remove it. But, there are some things I want to talk about.

First off, this is a n00b gun… Literally a lock on grenade launcher/rocket launcher, whatever. It takes no skill to use at all, and I can understand why people don’t like it. That being said, it’s still a fun gun to use. When I get it, I don’t overuse it or spam it. I get maybe 2 kills, before I switch back to whatever guns I used before.

Here is what I would like 343i to change. The name of the gun. The human guns in the game outside the books have very common names. Assault Rifle, Battle Rifle, DMR, Grenade Launcher, Shotgun. Hydra… Just doesn’t fit. It’s a mythological creature. If this gun was re-skinned to be a covenant gun, it would actually make sense maybe. Although, even most Covenant weapons have common names. What do I think they should call it? The Missile Pod…. I’m serious, it may not look like it, but maybe it’s just a newer model. They operate the exact same, just now it can lock on to people too.

Well, what do you think? Do you like the Hydra? Do you want to rename it? What would you rename it?

it’s def a noob gun. basically hands you kills for just being able to pick it up…

I really love being 4 shot before it locks on to my target, fantastic weapon lol

the hydra sucks dude
its good vs people who have never encountered it before and then they realize that you just thrust around a wall and you live
I think it needs a better design and more utility

Maybe they should turned it into a Covenant weapon and rename it to “Plasma Launcher”.

> 2533274825353387;5:
> Maybe they should turned it into a Covenant weapon and rename it to “Plasma Launcher”.

Yeah this gun would be a lot cooler if it was Covenant, they can even keep the name, it would still fit.

> 2533274825353387;5:
> Maybe they should turned it into a Covenant weapon and rename it to “Plasma Launcher”.

I miss the Plasma Launcher, better in every way than the Hydra.

I do agree that the name is ridiculous also

I’ve only been able to get kills with it on Regret because of the open map. On Orion there’s so much stuff in the way that the rockets always blow up on something before they get to the target. They need some obstacle avoidance, at least a little bit.

Hail Hy… oh wait.

Hydra’s is easy to use, but I like it. I have a feeling it’ll be very advantagous to have in open BTB maps. It could possibly use a nerf to its lock on time though.

This gun is essentially a slightly more useful Needler.

Decent at flanking, absolutely terrible in direct fights.

Don’t call it a missile pod…it isn’t.

> 2533274825353387;5:

This.

> 2533274819302824;11:
> This gun is essentially a slightly more useful Needler.
>
> Decent at flanking, absolutely terrible in direct fights.
>
> Don’t call it a missile pod…it isn’t.

I dunno, I think the Needler might be a bit better. Don’t need to lock on.

I think it is a good addition. At first when I heard 343 was adding a rocket launcher that held like 6 rockets I was VERY skeptical but after using it I think it is alright. It is not too dominate yet it is still good enough to be a power weapon

I think it’s a great weapon. Hydra is an appropriate name (6 rockets, 6 heads on a hydra) and just because its name stands out doesn’t make it worse. It’s a way more interesting name than missile pod or plasma launcher. I think it’s also not easy to get a kill with if used up close or against somebody good. It’s better used from a distance and with tactical aiming. It’s not overpowered, which makes it a great weapon. If you don’t like it then don’t pick it up, but it’d be much worse to have it be extremely unbalanced.

I like the name and think that its actually a really skillful wepon to use.