Thoughts on the early beta and current state

What are your impressions…for those THAT HAVE ACTUALLY HAVE PLAYED!!!

I’m sick of reading opinions from people that have only watched videos and THINK they might know something.

I played all 3 days and here are some thoughts…

Back to controlling the power weapons
Thruster and clamber
Halo feel has returned

Dislikes:
Movement seemed a little too fast to control the board
AR range
Cheesy cutscenes and announcer
Grenades seemed a bit weak

• lower amount of aim assist
  • br and dmr are balanced and both feel nice
  • spartan abilities were not used nearly as much as expected
  • spartan abilities do not ruin the game and i actually rather enjoyed their presence
  • i thought they did a good job with midship on redesigning it to accomodate the new abilities. it played beautifully
  • the sound effects were all fantastic except for the sniper
  • empire is a good map despite my distain for all halo 4 maps
  • map control was possible despite the increased movements
  • the pistol is perfect. not halo 1 strong but also very very useful and a great starting weapon
  • it simply felt great in my hands. the gunplay was great as was the movement

dislikes:

• the ar and smgs range and power both need to be taken down a notch, not too much but to the point where they are not defeating brs and dmrs at mid range or dominating them at closer range
  • sword seems op now when the user has the ability to sprint and thrust
  • graphics are very meh for a next gen game

> 2564773180660216;2:
> dislikes:
>
> - the ar and smgs range and power both need to be taken down a notch, not too much but to the point where they are not defeating brs and dmrs at mid range or dominating them at closer range

Heaven forbid autos actually becoming good, especially at a close distance am I right? Lol

Treason I say! Sentence them to death for even daring to dethrone the righteous god and king of us all, the BR!

New Pacing
Sound effects were pretty good
A useful pistol again
New sword is cool
Actual weapon balancing, more than one automatic weapon is viable

Dislikes:
The Announcer sounds horrible/Overly enthusiastic
Showing power weapon locations on HUD as well as spawn times
Grenades don’t have a very large blast radius?
Upon death immediate cut to killcam
Sadly I felt like I was playing a Halo game with a lot of COD influence

> 2533274808578327;3:
> > 2564773180660216;2:
> > dislikes:
> >
> > - the ar and smgs range and power both need to be taken down a notch, not too much but to the point where they are not defeating brs and dmrs at mid range or dominating them at closer range
>
>
> Heaven forbid autos actually becoming good, especially at a close distance am I right? Lol
>
> Treason I say! Sentence them to death for even daring to dethrone the righteous god and king of us all, the BR!

He said mid-range. Your rant is invalid.

Another beta impressions thread: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/my-beta-impressions/8d7476de-0d64-4d03-849c-5a7377ee925a/posts

Weapon balancing thread: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/halo-5-beta-weapon-balancing/d031f784-33ab-4787-88e6-1bc76ebe3284/posts

My post:
I have played all the Halos and have enjoyed them all. Halo 4’s biggest fault with MP was the inability to keep a large population of players around. I didn’t like the decision to have loadouts and weapon drops in Halo 4, but the game plays fantastically well if you allow yourself to get past some of the fundamental design/decision flaws. Halo 5 feels the most different from previous Halo games compared to any other new Halo that came out. However, it still certainly feels like Halo and feels like an evolution of the smooth/great controls that Halo 4 had.

I see and understand both sides of the sprinting argument and don’t have a strong feeling one way or the other. However, I will say that I did feel more like a Spartan moving around than any Halo I’ve played due mostly to the sprint and clamber. It feels awesome. I also feel like the inability to recharge your shields while sprinting is a good tradeoff. I was often able to chase down people that choose to flee and get the kill if I wanted to.

Regarding smart scope, I don’t feel that using the smart scope should increase accuracy and dislike this aspect. Traditionally, the scope has never affected a weapons accuracy in Halo. It might be hard to see what you’re shooting at, but the sniper/BR/DMR/etc have the same accuracy whether or not you’re zoomed in. I have no issue with the smart scope being in Halo 5. In fact, I kind of like it. However, there should be no change in accuracy when using ADS regardless of the weapon. Please maintain this fundamental Halo methodology of shooting on the move without smart scope changing shot accuracy! All that being said, it’s really a minor complaint and nothing anywhere near making me dislike the game.

Halo 5 feels like it rewards skilled players more than most Halos have, which is great. Some have complained that you can kill/be-killed to quickly, but overall I think it’s in line with previous Halos. In most encounters, you have a fighting chance or at least a chance to escape unlike many other FPS games. This is one of the things I’ve always loved most about Halo MP and it’s preserved in Halo 5.

Another thing I love about Halo 5 is the weapon balancing. I think the weapon balancing I’ve seen so far for the Halo 5 beta is overall the best I’ve seen in ANY Halo MP:

• The SMG is very effective at close range, and ineffective otherwise.
  • The AR is effective, and not just at close range. It’s about time the AR was a weapon worth having.
  • Not having a BR or DMR is no longer a death sentence. The BR is not a power weapon, and success shouldn’t depend on having one.
    The biggest imbalance with the weapons is the pistol. At medium range, I feel like the pistol should dominate the AR, but doesn’t. At closer range, I feel like the pistol should have an advantage over the BR, but doesn’t. Some may argue that the pistol is just a pistol, a sidearm, and shouldn’t be as powerful, but I disagree and feel like the fundamental weapon balance Halo strives for disagrees. I don’t know what the solution is, and I don’t think the pistol needs much of a damage boost, but something needs to change. Based on my playtime, I’d say it’s a small minority of players that choose to use the pistol instead of the AR, and I think that’s telling of the imbalance. Perhaps the pistol should do slightly more damage with body (non-head) shots. Perhaps the BR should do a bit less damage with body shots. Or perhaps the AR should be slightly less effective at mid-range. Again, I don’t know what a good solution is, but I think an improvement can be made without ruining the excellent balancing that is in place.

I actually like the balance between the pistol and the AR because it’s whatever you feel more comfortable c kids with. Again the range on the AR might need a little tweak though.

> 2535424017285038;5:
> > 2533274808578327;3:
> > > 2564773180660216;2:
> > > dislikes:
> > >
> > > - the ar and smgs range and power both need to be taken down a notch, not too much but to the point where they are not defeating brs and dmrs at mid range or dominating them at closer range
> >
> >
> >
> > Heaven forbid autos actually becoming good, especially at a close distance am I right? Lol
> >
> > Treason I say! Sentence them to death for even daring to dethrone the righteous god and king of us all, the BR!
>
>
> He said mid-range. Your rant is invalid.

Still completely valid, all starting weapons are effective up close. The SMG is strictly for such distance so the AR now needs something to be different, like increased range.