Thoughts of a Halo player

So before you read what I have to say please take these points into account.
First, I am not attacking Bungie or 343i I am simply being honest with what I see.
Second, these are my thoughts and opinions I claim them as neither right nor wrong so do not assume otherwise. Third, if you post at least take the time to read what I’ve written.

I’m not quite sure where to start so I guess I’ll begin by talking about how I think Halo really changed direction starting with Reach. For the past few years I have continued to play Halo 3 instead of Reach, I even resisted ever owning my own copy of Reach. Now this is not because Reach was/is bad but simply because I never quite saw the logical jump from H3 to it. I started playing halo back when 2 was launched and when I had a chance to get H3 I jumped on it. The jump from H2 to H3 felt natural, easy like it was the logical progression. Sure the game had changed but on the base level it still felt the same. Weapons had changed, maps had changed but at the core it still had the same feel of H2.
Halo in those days was not what I would consider a very fast game, instead opting for a slower more calculated playstyle. In lower levels of matchmaking players could get away with a lone wolf playstyle. However, in higher levels teamwork was required to have any hope of winning. If your team wanted map control you would need coordinate when and where to push and keep track of where the power weapons where. A sniper rifle could (in the right hands) lock down large portions of a map and win you the game. That’s why small maps only had one, to promote balance and force players to work together. Halo games at this point never had that rushed COD feel to it. Don’t get me wrong I really like COD, but I played halo because it was a slower game. In COD you die in a blink, Halo always gave you time to prevent your death. At heart I think this fact alone is what drew me into the game.

Fast forward a few years
Halo REACH comes out, new weapons, new maps, and armor abilities. From a Halo 3 point of view it’s not the same game. Sure it has Halo in the title but it fails to play like the Halo that I love. The game is faster, jet packs now add a new level of play. Sprint is like a bad dream, the game no longer has that feeling of calculated play. I feel like it’s reverting to who sees who first…and I hate it. So I don’t play it, I ignore it. I keep playing halo 3 because what else can I do? So I wait hoping that H4 will be my savior. Hoping that H4 will return Halo to the play style that I love.

Halo 4

  • Weapon spawns are no longer a huge part of the game
  • Power weapons are given out like candy
  • Everyone has sprint AND an armor ability
  • Ordinance drops
  • A single player with a DMR can hold down just about anything they want to
  • Perks, I really miss powerup spawns

My point is I think Halo has gotten too fast. Before it was never about speed but about tactics and true skill, I just don’t get that feeling anymore. I don’t feel like I’m playing Halo at all anymore but some hybrid monster. I don’t have the satisfaction of trying to gain rank as it’s exp based and not skill based. I doubt very many players would call H3 a “Stale copy” of H2, so why was the decision made to fix things that weren’t broken. As a long term player I’m sad to see how the game has evolved, just another shooter with little to separate it from the rest. I will continue to play H4 because it’s at heart a decent game, but the Halo that I knew died a while back.

Thanks for reading

Happy Gaming

I agree u use to have to be very methodical and plan ur attack but now its just rush rush rush. Im still outplaying people but i gotta think on my toes more. I also agree that power weapons and map control was the greatest part of the game. Its hella random now which isnt good for a competive style of play. I still love halo 4 though and think with couple tweaks it will be the best halo to date. Good job 343 keep it up listen to the fans on how to tweak it but dont listen to the complainers when hella people are talking smack about the dmr. Dont change it there dumb and need to learn how to fight each weapon and not just come on forums and complain.

Yeah I agree as well. The change from H3 to Reach was massive, and the change from Reach to H4 just amplified all of those changes.

This is honestly the first time I’ve ever had a brand new Halo game and not felt the urge to play it constantly… With H2, H3, ODST and even Reach I was playing it constantly for the first week… and I don’t have that with H4 which is extremely saddening.

I think H4 has made me realise that although I am a massive Halo fan I am a bigger Bungie fan… know what I mean?

I’ve discussed this in another topic:

Halo 4 is Microsoft’s attempt to beat Call of Duty, just take a look at multiplayer and how much they’ve casualized it and made it easier for newbies.

And take a look at the features they’ve taken from CoD:

Custom loadouts
Tactical Package and Support Upgrade (Perks)
SitRec (Killcam)
Hitmarkers
Progression System
Spartan Points (COD points)
Spartan Ops (Special Ops)
Instant respawn
Weapon Skins
Commendations (Challenges)

The spirit of Halo is gone, it’s safe to say that Halo is dead.

I agree thank you for posting this.

I always enjoyed the map control and planning traps and having like a real battle of thinking but now it’s just rushing and keeping your finger on the trigger constantly.

> Yeah I agree as well. The change from H3 to Reach was massive, and the change from Reach to H4 just amplified all of those changes.
>
> This is honestly the first time I’ve ever had a brand new Halo game and not felt the urge to play it constantly… With H2, H3, ODST and even Reach I was playing it constantly for the first week… and I don’t have that with H4 which is extremely saddening.
>
> I think H4 has made me realise that although I am a massive Halo fan I am a bigger Bungie fan… know what I mean?

This is exactly my case. Halo 4 is my first ever Halo game I could get at launch but now I just regret it.

> I’ve discussed this in another topic:
>
> Halo 4 is Microsoft’s attempt to beat Call of Duty, just take a look at multiplayer and how much they’ve casualized it and made it easier for newbies.
>
> And take a look at the features they’ve taken from CoD:
>
> Custom loadouts
> Tactical Package and Support Upgrade (Perks)
> SitRec (Killcam)
> Hitmarkers
> Progression System
> Spartan Points (COD points)
> Spartan Ops (Special Ops)
> Instant respawn
> Weapon Skins
> Commendations (Challenges)
>
> The spirit of Halo is gone, it’s safe to say that Halo is dead.

Agreed, my friend. and with this I’d like to point out this interesting fact I have about 7 male friends who always played Black Ops and MW3 together and never got into Reach Halo 3 but when I look at my friends list right now, all 7 are going nuts on Halo 4. So I’m sorta seeing something there…

> This is honestly the first time I’ve ever had a brand new Halo game and not felt the urge to play it constantly… With H2, H3, ODST and even Reach I was playing it constantly for the first week… and I don’t have that with H4 which is extremely saddening.
>
> I think H4 has made me realise that although I am a massive Halo fan I am a bigger Bungie fan… know what I mean?

This.

I agree, although I feel like this game has more Halo in it than Reach did to be honest. Just a little more.

I will play the game for fun. There’s no point to play competitively though.

Great read i agree with the vast majority of your post.

  • Weapon spawns are no longer a huge part of the game
  • Power weapons are given out like candy
  • Everyone has sprint AND an armor ability
  • Ordinance drops
  • A single player with a DMR can hold down just about anything they want to
  • Perks, I really miss powerup spawns
  1. I like the idea. It stops a lot of spawn trapping since everyone has a chance at power weapons, not just the guy who gets there first/betrays for it and you have something to dig yourself out of a trap

  2. So? with instant spawn in many types they quickly get used up

  3. Good! Sprint needs to be a staple, you shouldnt need a chip in your -Yoink- to run

  4. Drops are awesome, call in some support, help break traps by getting a sniper at a great time, add more variability and flow to the game instead of ‘I have rockets no one can oppose your tank!’

  5. No, just no. DMR is great, but still is not what your post implies

  6. Again, breaks up map chokes, besides, the perks are small things, not overshields and whatnot.

Everything you hate is something that breaks up the power weapon control portion of Halo, which i enjoy. Nothing sucked more than having a game where the enemy team got rockets or sword or shotgun and you had the smg or br or dmr to fight back and got destroyed. Now no matter what situation you get into if you can get a drop you have a great chance of fighting back. Much harder for an enemy team to trap me in my spawn if i can go invisible and start sniping them all.

> I’ve discussed this in another topic:
>
> Halo 4 is Microsoft’s attempt to beat Call of Duty, just take a look at multiplayer and how much they’ve casualized it and made it easier for newbies.
>
> And take a look at the features they’ve taken from CoD:
>
> Custom loadouts
> Tactical Package and Support Upgrade (Perks)
> SitRec (Killcam)
> Hitmarkers
> Progression System
> Spartan Points (COD points)
> Spartan Ops (Special Ops)
> Instant respawn
> Weapon Skins
> Commendations (Challenges)
>
> The spirit of Halo is gone, it’s safe to say that Halo is dead.

Also Dominion (Domination)

> - Weapon spawns are no longer a huge part of the game
> - Power weapons are given out like candy
> - Everyone has sprint AND an armor ability
> - Ordinance drops
> - A single player with a DMR can hold down just about anything they want to
> - Perks, I really miss powerup spawns
>
> 1. I like the idea. It stops a lot of spawn trapping since everyone has a chance at power weapons, not just the guy who gets there first/betrays for it and you have something to dig yourself out of a trap
>
> 2. So? with instant spawn in many types they quickly get used up
>
> 3. Good! Sprint needs to be a staple, you shouldnt need a chip in your -Yoink!- to run
>
> 4. Drops are awesome, call in some support, help break traps by getting a sniper at a great time, add more variability and flow to the game instead of ‘I have rockets no one can oppose your tank!’
>
> 5. No, just no. DMR is great, but still is not what your post implies
>
> 6. Again, breaks up map chokes, besides, the perks are small things, not overshields and whatnot.
>
> Everything you hate is something that breaks up the power weapon control portion of Halo, which i enjoy. Nothing sucked more than having a game where the enemy team got rockets or sword or shotgun and you had the smg or br or dmr to fight back and got destroyed. Now no matter what situation you get into if you can get a drop you have a great chance of fighting back. Much harder for an enemy team to trap me in my spawn if i can go invisible and start sniping them all.

  1. It also make vehicles useless and causes seasoned players to die in the most redundant of ways. You’re rewarded for playing, not being good.

  2. Yea they do making them just another staple gun and nothing to be proud of.

  3. Halo was never about speed and I think it manged just fine without sprint.

  4. Drops are to make up for the lack of weapon spawns. Weapon spawns have always been a huge part of halo, replacing them with this mess makes me sick. Also I wanted halo not COD style care packages.

  5. DMR is great, for wrecking snipers and everyone else you see.

  6. Perks…again suppose to be halo we’re taking about, Perks are a COD thing.