This is just the first Step

There are countless threads right now not too happy about the ranking system being “only on Waypoint”. When I first read this I also thought this isn’t amazing news, because our ranks won’t be available in game.

However this is just the first step in making that happen. For starters, Waypoint profiles could very well be moving into the game. Maybe this is a stretch, but it seems that 343i would want to give us access to this easily in game. Similar to our service record from previous Halos. Maybe it wouldn’t be right next to our name in matchmaking, but it would be easily accessible.

It’s so clear that 343i is working to please those of us who do want a rank system, that if something in game is wanted badly enough, it will happen. They are tuning this CSR and making it as good as possible for people to use. They don’t want it to fall by the wayside.

So while it may seem like a long ways away from in game ranks, this is just the first step to it happening.

I have posted this elsewhere, but same goes for here…
EDIT: Although you make a good point that it could be useful for your rank to be visible ONLY to yourself in-game on say, your player card.

I understand it will only be visible in Waypoint (as per the announcement) for the following reasons…

In Halo 4, you shouldn’t need to see how good the other players in the lobby are anyway because the TrueSkill system will be matching you up with players of a very similar skill level to you. Therefore in theory, however good you are is about how good they will all be…

Also, most people I saw complaining were after arguing that they wanted visibe ranks so that the could see how well they themselves are performing. The CSR is not likely to fluctuate after every match, so this system 343 suggested will work fine.

What they are doing is giving a good system, that will be way better than Reach’s BPR, that will allow competitive players to see their own CSR on Waypoint, while at the same time largely avoiding the negative aspects that DO occur if they had made it visible to all in the lobby (being ego-fueled a-holes, boosters, account sellers etc etc etc).

Essentially, it’s a COMPROMISE; people who want to see their rank get the ability to do so, while people who dont want to deal with that, don’t have to.

They did say that there won’t be a visible rank in the UI from the start. Leads me to believe that they have plans to implement a visible one in-game and not just on waypoint.

I do see what you’re saying, but a lot of people don’t use Waypoint. I obviously don’t know the numbers, but I would venture to guess that 95%+ don’t use it. So it’s basically going to be hidden to a huge portion of the population.

I have 4 friends who all play Halo and are fans since CE, none of them use Waypoint or come to this site at all.

> There are countless threads right now not too happy about the ranking system being “only on Waypoint”. When I first read this I also thought this isn’t amazing news, because our ranks won’t be available in game.
>
> However this is just the first step in making that happen. For starters, Waypoint profiles could very well be moving into the game. Maybe this is a stretch, but it seems that 343i would want to give us access to this easily in game. Similar to our service record from previous Halos. Maybe it wouldn’t be right next to our name in matchmaking, but it would be easily accessible.
>
> It’s so clear that 343i is working to please those of us who do want a rank system, that if something in game is wanted badly enough, it will happen. They are tuning this CSR and making it as good as possible for people to use. They don’t want it to fall by the wayside.
>
> So while it may seem like a long ways away from in game ranks, this is just the first step to it happening.

I was about to leave these forums forever and give up on halo 4. But you have given me new hope. you absolutely right! i know they just forged up the plans for there current way point visible rank they just announced. the fact they we have to wait months for it, is proof to support this theory. But your right, we need to keep pushing this hard and not let up!

> I do see what you’re saying, but a lot of people don’t use Waypoint. I obviously don’t know the numbers, but I would venture to guess that 95%+ don’t use it. So it’s basically going to be hidden to a huge portion of the population.
>
> I have 4 friends who all play Halo and are fans since CE, none of them use Waypoint or come to this site at all.

It will be up to those people whether or not to check their own statuses. 343i gave them a way and now its up to them whether or not to use it.

> I do see what you’re saying, but a lot of people don’t use Waypoint. I obviously don’t know the numbers, but I would venture to guess that 95%+ don’t use it. So it’s basically going to be hidden to a huge portion of the population.
>
> I have 4 friends who all play Halo and are fans since CE, none of them use Waypoint or come to this site at all.

When the Waypoint CSR launches properly they will likely make it obvious in-game via an announcement (like when you get those announcements on Start-up in Reach). At that time, those people will be able to choose whether they can be bothered using waypoint to check out their CSR; if they choose not to, then it’s obviously not that important to them.

> > There are countless threads right now not too happy about the ranking system being “only on Waypoint”. When I first read this I also thought this isn’t amazing news, because our ranks won’t be available in game.
> >
> > However this is just the first step in making that happen. For starters, Waypoint profiles could very well be moving into the game. Maybe this is a stretch, but it seems that 343i would want to give us access to this easily in game. Similar to our service record from previous Halos. Maybe it wouldn’t be right next to our name in matchmaking, but it would be easily accessible.
> >
> > It’s so clear that 343i is working to please those of us who do want a rank system, that if something in game is wanted badly enough, it will happen. They are tuning this CSR and making it as good as possible for people to use. They don’t want it to fall by the wayside.
> >
> > So while it may seem like a long ways away from in game ranks, this is just the first step to it happening.
>
> I was about to leave these forums forever and give up on halo 4. But you have given me new hope. you absolutely right! i know they just forged up the plans for there current way point visible rank they just announced. the fact they we have to wait months for it, is proof to support this theory. But your right, we need to keep pushing this hard and not let up!

You’ll be waiting like 2-3 months tops…and that’s actually about how long it would take for ranks to stabilize and mean anything anyway. Also, note how they need to test the system in the real-world first so they can ensure it works and they ensure they have ways to counter exploits and boosting.

> > There are countless threads right now not too happy about the ranking system being “only on Waypoint”. When I first read this I also thought this isn’t amazing news, because our ranks won’t be available in game.
> >
> > However this is just the first step in making that happen. For starters, Waypoint profiles could very well be moving into the game. Maybe this is a stretch, but it seems that 343i would want to give us access to this easily in game. Similar to our service record from previous Halos. Maybe it wouldn’t be right next to our name in matchmaking, but it would be easily accessible.
> >
> > It’s so clear that 343i is working to please those of us who do want a rank system, that if something in game is wanted badly enough, it will happen. They are tuning this CSR and making it as good as possible for people to use. They don’t want it to fall by the wayside.
> >
> > So while it may seem like a long ways away from in game ranks, this is just the first step to it happening.
>
> I was about to leave these forums forever and give up on halo 4. But you have given me new hope. you absolutely right! i know they just forged up the plans for there current way point visible rank they just announced. the fact they we have to wait months for it, is proof to support this theory. But your right, we need to keep pushing this hard and not let up!

No, you need to be patient and helpful, rather than kick the hornets nest and continue to start an uprising. You know damn well they had this planned, but some of you werent patient enough to even let them tell you before full on freak outs.

> > > There are countless threads right now not too happy about the ranking system being “only on Waypoint”. When I first read this I also thought this isn’t amazing news, because our ranks won’t be available in game.
> > >
> > > However this is just the first step in making that happen. For starters, Waypoint profiles could very well be moving into the game. Maybe this is a stretch, but it seems that 343i would want to give us access to this easily in game. Similar to our service record from previous Halos. Maybe it wouldn’t be right next to our name in matchmaking, but it would be easily accessible.
> > >
> > > It’s so clear that 343i is working to please those of us who do want a rank system, that if something in game is wanted badly enough, it will happen. They are tuning this CSR and making it as good as possible for people to use. They don’t want it to fall by the wayside.
> > >
> > > So while it may seem like a long ways away from in game ranks, this is just the first step to it happening.
> >
> > I was about to leave these forums forever and give up on halo 4. But you have given me new hope. you absolutely right! i know they just forged up the plans for there current way point visible rank they just announced. the fact they we have to wait months for it, is proof to support this theory. But your right, we need to keep pushing this hard and not let up!
>
> You’ll be waiting like 2-3 months tops…and that’s actually about how long it would take for ranks to stabilize and mean anything anyway. Also, note how they need to test the system in the real-world first so they can ensure it works and they ensure they have ways to counter exploits and boosting.

ranks wont stabilize when the ranking is invisible, and 2-3 months? how long have they been making this game? it should have been ready on launch day or close to it.

Sure it’s their fault if they don’t check the site, but to me that’s what causes the issue. I don’t want a rank for a rank; I want ranks so that the games are more competitive. In my experience, in games with a rank they are more competitive. So if everyone knows and cares about these ranks, then this should work great. Which is why I believe this is a great first step.

I am gaining some hope and faith here with 343i. I’m not 100% sold, but they had me on the edge of the cliff yesterday looking over, and reeled me right back in.

> > > There are countless threads right now not too happy about the ranking system being “only on Waypoint”. When I first read this I also thought this isn’t amazing news, because our ranks won’t be available in game.
> > >
> > > However this is just the first step in making that happen. For starters, Waypoint profiles could very well be moving into the game. Maybe this is a stretch, but it seems that 343i would want to give us access to this easily in game. Similar to our service record from previous Halos. Maybe it wouldn’t be right next to our name in matchmaking, but it would be easily accessible.
> > >
> > > It’s so clear that 343i is working to please those of us who do want a rank system, that if something in game is wanted badly enough, it will happen. They are tuning this CSR and making it as good as possible for people to use. They don’t want it to fall by the wayside.
> > >
> > > So while it may seem like a long ways away from in game ranks, this is just the first step to it happening.
> >
> > I was about to leave these forums forever and give up on halo 4. But you have given me new hope. you absolutely right! i know they just forged up the plans for there current way point visible rank they just announced. the fact they we have to wait months for it, is proof to support this theory. But your right, we need to keep pushing this hard and not let up!
>
> No, you need to be patient and helpful, rather than kick the hornets nest and continue to start an uprising. You know damn well they had this planned, but some of you werent patient enough to even let them tell you before full on freak outs.

if they had this planned they could have announced it a long time ago, but they didnt. they instead announced that their attemp at true “skill” would be invisible. the community goes crazy and like 3 days later they announce a system that wont be ready for months, and say they have been working on it all along? Ya i believe it!

> No, you need to be patient and helpful, rather than kick the hornets nest and continue to start an uprising. You know damn well they had this planned, but some of you werent patient enough to even let them tell you before full on freak outs.

The thing is that they said yesterday there would be no visible ranks…that caused the biggest up-rise.

Should we have stayed patient despite the announcement there wouldn’t be a rank system?

> > > > There are countless threads right now not too happy about the ranking system being “only on Waypoint”. When I first read this I also thought this isn’t amazing news, because our ranks won’t be available in game.
> > > >
> > > > However this is just the first step in making that happen. For starters, Waypoint profiles could very well be moving into the game. Maybe this is a stretch, but it seems that 343i would want to give us access to this easily in game. Similar to our service record from previous Halos. Maybe it wouldn’t be right next to our name in matchmaking, but it would be easily accessible.
> > > >
> > > > It’s so clear that 343i is working to please those of us who do want a rank system, that if something in game is wanted badly enough, it will happen. They are tuning this CSR and making it as good as possible for people to use. They don’t want it to fall by the wayside.
> > > >
> > > > So while it may seem like a long ways away from in game ranks, this is just the first step to it happening.
> > >
> > > I was about to leave these forums forever and give up on halo 4. But you have given me new hope. you absolutely right! i know they just forged up the plans for there current way point visible rank they just announced. the fact they we have to wait months for it, is proof to support this theory. But your right, we need to keep pushing this hard and not let up!
> >
> > No, you need to be patient and helpful, rather than kick the hornets nest and continue to start an uprising. You know damn well they had this planned, but some of you werent patient enough to even let them tell you before full on freak outs.
>
> if they had this planned they could have announced it a long time ago, but they didnt. they instead announced that their attemp at true “skill” would be invisible. the community goes crazy and like 3 days later they announce a system that wont be ready for months, and say they have been working on it all along? Ya i believe it!

You arent listening, be patient. The game has gone gold, they need a few months to make it happen. The visible side was never planned, so let them try to fix it, so calm down and be patient.

> > No, you need to be patient and helpful, rather than kick the hornets nest and continue to start an uprising. You know damn well they had this planned, but some of you werent patient enough to even let them tell you before full on freak outs.
>
> The thing is that they said yesterday there would be no visible ranks…that caused the biggest up-rise.
>
> Should we have stayed patient despite the announcement there wouldn’t be a rank system?

Yes, i stand by what i said, be patient.

> > > No, you need to be patient and helpful, rather than kick the hornets nest and continue to start an uprising. You know damn well they had this planned, but some of you werent patient enough to even let them tell you before full on freak outs.
> >
> > The thing is that they said yesterday there would be no visible ranks…that caused the biggest up-rise.
> >
> > Should we have stayed patient despite the announcement there wouldn’t be a rank system?
>
> Yes, i stand by what i said, be patient.

Really? So when they announce something, I shouldn’t listen?

I don’t get people sometimes…

> > > > No, you need to be patient and helpful, rather than kick the hornets nest and continue to start an uprising. You know damn well they had this planned, but some of you werent patient enough to even let them tell you before full on freak outs.
> > >
> > > The thing is that they said yesterday there would be no visible ranks…that caused the biggest up-rise.
> > >
> > > Should we have stayed patient despite the announcement there wouldn’t be a rank system?
> >
> > Yes, i stand by what i said, be patient.
>
> Really? So when they announce something, I shouldn’t listen?
>
> I don’t get people sometimes…

I dont need you to “get” me. You guys asked, they listened, now shut up about it. you are coming off as spoiled children.