This game needs an incentive to play

I honestly really enjoy Halo 4’s gameplay and multiplayer (I know im a minority) but this game desperately needs a reason to keep playing. Being the average player I am, I hit 130 within months of release and now have nothing to play for. Then 343 finally announces CSR but its only online and is individual. What a joke! At least in Reach the progression system went on forever so you had something to do. Now I play Halo 4 alot but would be much more invested if there was ANYTHING to play for. I feel like this game is actually very good but just lacks any reason to play.

Not all CSR’s are individually calculated though. A lot of them are team based.

> Not all CSR’s are individually calculated though. A lot of them are team based.

Well even with that being the case nobody can ever see your CSR because you have to check online so it really doesn’t matter

> this game desperately needs a reason to keep playing.

How about this reason:

> I honestly really enjoy Halo 4’s gameplay and multiplayer

That’s the best reason of all.

When I started playing video games (late 80s early 90s) that was the only incentive. Playing video games in itself is a reward. Not everyone has that luxury. If a game isn’t rewarding without a rewards system (i.e. “fun”), it’s not a good game.

I too am in that minority who is open about my love for Halo 4. Maybe someday we can be accepted for who we are and not have to face so much prejudice. lol.

> > this game desperately needs a reason to keep playing.
>
> How about this reason:
>
>
>
> > I honestly really enjoy Halo 4’s gameplay and multiplayer
>
> That’s the best reason of all.
>
> When I started playing video games (late 80s early 90s) that was the only incentive. Playing video games in itself is a reward. Not everyone has that luxury. If a game isn’t rewarding without a rewards system (i.e. “fun”), it’s not a good game.
>
> I too am in that minority who is open about my love for Halo 4. Maybe someday we can be accepted for who we are and not have to face so much prejudice. lol.

Ok, I agree with you but every other game has much more to offer. Its hard to put in Halo 4 when all my other games have new things

I would have been more engaged in Halo 4 if it had followed Reach’s system of XP/Ranking/Commendations/Challenges.

The whole setup was built to last. The commendations were broad and deep (rifles, automatics, sidearms, etc, with 20,000 kills to earn Onyx - Max. Twenty thousand!

Whereas Halo 4’s were narrow and shallow, with each weapon requiring maybe 500 kills for Mastery. Some were mighty easy to earn, others near impossible (plasma pistol, anyone?).

I found it a lot easier to work toward Reach challenges in Campaign and Firefight. Their H4 counterparts in Campaign and SpOps suffered the same narrow focus, becoming too much of a grind.

If you’re going to do away with a 1-50 VIGR, then at least follow the Reach model, not the H4 model. Much better in terms of replayability and engagement. That Inheritor Rank was a billion times more prestigious than SR 130.

I think it would have been better if the climb to reaching 130 was just to gather the armor abilities, but your rank remained as a recruit until you reached 130.
From then on you started to rank up, similar to reach. So up to 130 was just like boot camp.
As far as incentives go, well you need to create your own, set yourself targets etc, I set myself a goal of getting x amount of kills with the ghost, then set new targets when I achieved it.

Can always play CTF. That was my go to gameplay when I had a 360.

Yeah I agree. I don’t play Halo 4 as much as I use to or at all really. And I may never go back because there’s no reason to. Besides, I already hit the max rank back in September of 2013.

> When I started playing video games (late 80s early 90s) that was the only incentive. <mark>Playing video games in itself is a reward.</mark> Not everyone has that luxury. If a game isn’t rewarding without a rewards system (i.e. “fun”), it’s not a good game.

If you ignore trying to beat other people’s highscores around that time in the 80s and 90s in the arcades, sure.

> I would have been more engaged in Halo 4 if it had followed Reach’s system of XP/Ranking/Commendations/Challenges.
>
> The whole setup was built to last. The commendations were broad and deep (rifles, automatics, sidearms, etc, with 20,000 kills to earn Onyx - Max. Twenty thousand!
>
> Whereas Halo 4’s were narrow and shallow, with each weapon requiring maybe 500 kills for Mastery. Some were mighty easy to earn, others near impossible (plasma pistol, anyone?).
>
> I found it a lot easier to work toward Reach challenges in Campaign and Firefight. Their H4 counterparts in Campaign and SpOps suffered the same narrow focus, becoming too much of a grind.
>
> If you’re going to do away with a 1-50 VIGR, then at least follow the Reach model, not the H4 model. Much better in terms of replayability and engagement. That Inheritor Rank was a billion times more prestigious than SR 130.

Reach system is too, flawed. why? because people have lives. Plus reach and 4’s are pretty much the same. they hold no value in what they are other than to show how many games or how long you’ve been playing.

true skill is the best incentive. it shows you your true skill. makes you want to get better and attain a higher skill level. and when you max out you don’t feel like it was nothing because you earned it, can lose it, and have to continue to work to keep it.

My incentive to keep playing is
A.) I want full weapon mastery and I’m over 2/3 done
B.) Halo 4 is actually pretty fun now compared to how it was when it first came out

It sucks that I’m a completionist and the past few months have just been me playing Action Sack to farm kills.
Remember way back in H3 when there was only 8 or so pieces of armor instead of 60 and you just had to get achievements?