Things that should not return in halo infinite

Your thoughts?

Spartan charge. Of all the new mobility features H5 introduced, it was the most heinous for me in MP. I didn’t dislike thrusters, ground pound took at least some skill with timing to effectively utilize, but spartan charge gave players an incentive to run blindly around the map and still get kills, as opposed to a quieter, slower, more tactical approach (which is my preferred method in Halo).

And because of my play style, I often felt like I was playing H5’s MP defensively and more passively-- just trying to survive, rather than seeking kills-- while most players seemed to be playing offensively and more aggressively, which made for much frustration.

I don’t think stuff like sprint needs to be removed entirely, but I would like to see a return to gameplay that also equally awards players who prefer not running headlong into danger.

Spartan Charge, Ground Pound, Clamber (I want the skill of crouch jump/grenade jump back), Sprint (but I suppose if it HAS to be there, I can live with it if it worked like Halo Reach. I don’t want people running from engagements with enemies. If you start a fight, intend to finish it or get finished.) Basically, everything Halo 5 did. Why? Because I don’t think it fits in Halo AND it clogs up the controller. Too much junk going on and in H5, a good example of the Spartan Charge getting in your way is when an enemy runs from you rather than staying and fighting, you sprint after them so they don’t get away and you want to punish them with an assassination. Well too bad, within a few seconds, your insufferable Spartan Charge ability has readied itself and instead of the assassination, you slam your body into them and either get lucky and get the kill or you knock out their shields, send them flying forward and they can retaliate and kill you instead.

PSA: Bring back the less cluttered classic gameplay and control schemes please.

This is a silly request from me, but I hate at the beginning of a slayer match being told I have to “Kill the enemy Team to score”

It’s like… what else would ‘slayer’ be? I figured it out years ago all on my own, so it’s not like humanity has collectively forgotten how to play a game mode, or can’t figure out how it works.

Sorry had to get that off my chest lol

Yeah, I’m not a huge fan of Spartan Charge. Like, really; As someone who used sprint as a vehicle to get more melee kills, especially assassinations, sprinting into some lame charge is just… Well, it’s stupid. Of all the Spartan Abilities 5 introduced, Spartan Charge is the only one I actually want to disappear, instead of not caring if it disappears.

Warzone is such a crapshoot, I would prefer to see dedicated BTB maps.

I think they should remove the weapon timers. Make the players keep track of when the weapons spawn like you had to in the past games. I also hope they actually put starting weapons on the map to walk over/pick up instead of having to get your ammo from a kill or teammate’s death.

Spartan charge, aim down sight, reach/4 style armor abilities, H5 armor customization, H5 squad mechanics, weapon timers, and micro transactions. I’m sure there are more, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

Spartan charge first and foremost. Get rid of thrust as well.

If they can add ability to shoot while sprinting, charging and clambering - that could fix a lot of problems.

I don’t want any ‘free’ updates. Get rid of MTs. Add a donation button to the main menu and charge money for worth-while things like Map-packs and story add-ons.

From Halo 5:

• Most of the advanced mobility by default. Many of these mechanics should not be base spartan abilities, but instead be tied to weapons/equipment (the sandbox). Ground pound? Lame. A weapon that lets you do the ground pound thing? Cool. - The aesthetic. Looks like this wish is being granted. H5 was just trying too hard to seem futuristic, Halo is supposed to feel relatable/tangible in some ways. - The music. This wish may be granted as well. The H5 music was good, and fit the aesthetic, but didn’t give me Halo vibes. - The writing. The Infinite trailer was great, but i want to see the campaign reveal before i say this wish was granted. I think all of H5’s story elements could have worked, but it just didn’t come together in a satisfying way. - A feature-lacking launch. Not all players are satisfied with campaign and slayer. All the classic modes, customs browser, firefight, forge, and theater (w/campaign support) need to be there at launch. An additional big/new mode can be there at launch to wow us, or save dev time and release that mode later, but don’t cut the classics. - Req packs. I don’t necessarily think microtransactions completely ruin a game, but armor customization is important in Halo. Armor sets should reflect a player’s skill regarding specific playstyles and preferences, and therefore should be unlocked via achievements and progression. Additionally, making gear in Warzone a 1-time use (and mildly pay-to-win) was a bad move, don’t do that again. - Teen rating. The game doesn’t need to be as gory as Doom, but lets not bubble-wrap warfare into a 13-year-old package. It’s honestly more yoinked up to portray killing as cartoon violence so children can participate (and give Microsoft money).From MCC (PC):

• Bugs. This includes button combos from H2, fight me. - Unbalanced aim assist. If Halo Infinite is to be crossplay, it needs to address this issue with input-based matchmaking and/or skill-based matchmaking.Miscellaneous:

• Loadouts. At least not for the classic gamemodes. - Troll skins. No pizza guns please, it breaks the immersion. I’m on the fence regarding weapon/vehicle skins as it is. - 30-60 fps. The next generation of gaming should shoot for 120 fps on console. I don’t care if the shadows look pixelated, i need to track my targets. If the server tick rate could be 120 hz as well, that would be fantastic (but i’d be happy with 60 hz). - Coop without multiplayer armor. The campaign should be playable with 4+ players and the option (maybe a skull) to use your multiplayer armor. So far, i think only Reach allows armor customization in the campaign. Additionally, some sort of campaign matchmaking system would be cool. - Bad campaign combat. I would limit this to H4 and H5, due to prometheans and advanced mobility, but H2 had jackal snipers. - Interruptions. Cutscenes are okay, but some things can be told in-game at the right moment (without halting the player like H3’s cortana/gravemind dialogues). However, don’t tell us everything through comms/radio chatter. - Resurrections. Don’t come up with some lame excuse to bring back every fan-favourite character. Let their deaths mean something, and make new characters that fill their roles in a different way.I admit that some of these are rephrased ways of saying what i do want in the game, but trust me i’ve limited myself to features that have previously existed in Halo. I have an infinite amount of ideas for what should be added to Halo Infinite.

I don’t want see sprint as it was in H4/H5. If sprint returns, I hope it’s like Reach where it gives you a small boost and you have some lag when you stopped sprinting, so you can’t immediately shoot and are in disadvantage. In a nutshell, I want sprint to take skill.

I don’t want to be supposed to be sprinting the whole time and I don’t want see maps being elongated because of that. When I first played H5 I felt like there was something wrong with the map design, then I understood they were elongated due sprint.

If sprint was to return I 100% agree with you but don’t make it a equipment slot/ It should be more strategic when dealing with sprint. If it did not return i only wish that the base movement is already pretty speedy

Hitmarkers and ADS need to be jettisoned.

Hitmarkers are completely pointless in Halo. Everything you need to know about whether or not you hit a target should be confirmed by a combination of shield flares, blood shots, killfeed(in multiplayer) and animations(versus AI) If there is any doubt as to whether you hit you target or not, that is a failure on the part of the developers. Hitmarkers are a waste of time and screen space for lazy developers. I would argue a big reason that some folks don’t enjoy fighting prometheans is that they don’t have interesting reactions to being shot, their shields in Halo 4 a barely visible and they don’t “bleed” or spark in any meaningful way when unshielded. It makes fighting them feel like you are going up against MMO enemies rather than ones meant for a fast paced action game, particularly in Halo 5.

Speaking of a waste of space, ADS or “smart scope” is also a pointless addition that offers worse visibility compared to traditional zoom and isn’t lore friendly to boot(though this isn’t the biggest problem by any means.) Even if you like the aesthetics, giving every weapon the ability to ‘scope’(even a bloody sword) only makes the sandbox feel more generic. There are much better uses for the scope button than just giving every weapon the exact same ability. The ODST SMG was interesting because it is a automatic weapon with a scope which we hadn’t seen before, but if you had given every weapon in ODST the ability to scope, suddenly it becomes just another automatic weapon.

> 2533274810989728;3:
> Spartan Charge, Ground Pound, Clamber (I want the skill of crouch jump/grenade jump back), Sprint (but I suppose if it HAS to be there, I can live with it if it worked like Halo Reach. I don’t want people running from engagements with enemies. If you start a fight, intend to finish it or get finished.) Basically, everything Halo 5 did. Why? Because I don’t think it fits in Halo AND it clogs up the controller. Too much junk going on and in H5, a good example of the Spartan Charge getting in your way is when an enemy runs from you rather than staying and fighting, you sprint after them so they don’t get away and you want to punish them with an assassination. Well too bad, within a few seconds, your insufferable Spartan Charge ability has readied itself and instead of the assassination, you slam your body into them and either get lucky and get the kill or you knock out their shields, send them flying forward and they can retaliate and kill you instead.
>
> PSA: Bring back the less cluttered classic gameplay and control schemes please.

I definitely do not like spartan charge. It messes up assassinations, rewards players for running around recklessly, and is just an overall annoyance. And I do miss the skill jumping with grenades or crouching. I would like to see an option to make a custom control scheme too. I think sprint should stay, because it rewards players when they are careful with not sprinting around corners, but punishes others for not being careful. Thrust… kinda nice to mix up gameplay, but rewards players for bad positioning.

> 2535433024916972;15:
> > 2533274810989728;3:
> > Spartan Charge, Ground Pound, Clamber (I want the skill of crouch jump/grenade jump back), Sprint (but I suppose if it HAS to be there, I can live with it if it worked like Halo Reach. I don’t want people running from engagements with enemies. If you start a fight, intend to finish it or get finished.) Basically, everything Halo 5 did. Why? Because I don’t think it fits in Halo AND it clogs up the controller. Too much junk going on and in H5, a good example of the Spartan Charge getting in your way is when an enemy runs from you rather than staying and fighting, you sprint after them so they don’t get away and you want to punish them with an assassination. Well too bad, within a few seconds, your insufferable Spartan Charge ability has readied itself and instead of the assassination, you slam your body into them and either get lucky and get the kill or you knock out their shields, send them flying forward and they can retaliate and kill you instead.
> >
> > PSA: Bring back the less cluttered classic gameplay and control schemes please.
>
> I definitely do not like spartan charge. It messes up assassinations, rewards players for running around recklessly, and is just an overall annoyance. And I do miss the skill jumping with grenades or crouching. I would like to see an option to make a custom control scheme too. I think sprint should stay, because it rewards players when they are careful with not sprinting around corners, but punishes others for not being careful. Thrust… kinda nice to mix up gameplay, but rewards players for bad positioning.

I’d say a good example of what I feel the Halo fans want, at least a majority I think I can safely say, is ChrisRayGun’s “Make Halo Great Again” video. He actually managed to put my thought process behind Sprint into words about why it really shouldn’t be in Halo and even made me realize, I probably wouldn’t hate some of these abilities or advanced movement from H5 if they were tied to equipment like H3 or weapons found on the map. He actually almost made me want a grappling hook in Halo. Not that I do. But almost! I’d give it a watch as it really does get a lot of points across and he’s right in there too that the video came far too late to make a difference towards Halo Infinite, but hopefully HI does extremely, extremely well and isn’t just another FPS game, but a Halo game. And if they manage to do what people would like to see/expect from a Halo game, then it’d be amazing. We will probably dislike/like Halo Infinite. What we all want to do is to LOVE Halo Infinite. 343 needs to make us love it.

I hope they can do that.

Enhanced Mobility, in my opinion it breaks the fundamental gameplay of Halo. From sprint making vehicles practically redundant, to clamber taking the skill out of crouch and nade jump. Spartan Charge just rewards you for running around and pressing a button, the closest example to that I can think of is the Titan Shoulder charge in Destiny 2 and Ground Pound I found was almost never used. The ADS should also be removed, there is no reason for an SMG to have ADS, it breaks the weapon’s role in the sandbox and makes it accurate from along distance. Furthermore Hitmarkers and Grenade Indicators should be removed, there is no reasons for these things to be present, shield flares acted as hitmarkers and grenade indicators make grenades far to easy to dodge. I hope the extremely linear campaign level design from 4 and 5 doesn’t return either, I find it makes for less interesting combat encounters than levels from say Halo 3 or CE. Also no Req packs, customization should NOT be locked behind an RNG system, it should be earned like in Reach, 4 and 3.

> 2533274810989728;16:
> > 2535433024916972;15:
> > > 2533274810989728;3:
> > > Spartan Charge, Ground Pound, Clamber (I want the skill of crouch jump/grenade jump back), Sprint (but I suppose if it HAS to be there, I can live with it if it worked like Halo Reach. I don’t want people running from engagements with enemies. If you start a fight, intend to finish it or get finished.) Basically, everything Halo 5 did. Why? Because I don’t think it fits in Halo AND it clogs up the controller. Too much junk going on and in H5, a good example of the Spartan Charge getting in your way is when an enemy runs from you rather than staying and fighting, you sprint after them so they don’t get away and you want to punish them with an assassination. Well too bad, within a few seconds, your insufferable Spartan Charge ability has readied itself and instead of the assassination, you slam your body into them and either get lucky and get the kill or you knock out their shields, send them flying forward and they can retaliate and kill you instead.
> > >
> > > PSA: Bring back the less cluttered classic gameplay and control schemes please.
> >
> > I definitely do not like spartan charge. It messes up assassinations, rewards players for running around recklessly, and is just an overall annoyance. And I do miss the skill jumping with grenades or crouching. I would like to see an option to make a custom control scheme too. I think sprint should stay, because it rewards players when they are careful with not sprinting around corners, but punishes others for not being careful. Thrust… kinda nice to mix up gameplay, but rewards players for bad positioning.
>
> I’d say a good example of what I feel the Halo fans want, at least a majority I think I can safely say, is ChrisRayGun’s “Make Halo Great Again” video. He actually managed to put my thought process behind Sprint into words about why it really shouldn’t be in Halo and even made me realize, I probably wouldn’t hate some of these abilities or advanced movement from H5 if they were tied to equipment like H3 or weapons found on the map. He actually almost made me want a grappling hook in Halo. Not that I do. But almost! I’d give it a watch as it really does get a lot of points across and he’s right in there too that the video came far too late to make a difference towards Halo Infinite, but hopefully HI does extremely, extremely well and isn’t just another FPS game, but a Halo game. And if they manage to do what people would like to see/expect from a Halo game, then it’d be amazing. We will probably dislike/like Halo Infinite. What we all want to do is to LOVE Halo Infinite. 343 needs to make us love it.
>
> I hope they can do that.

Well, it’s true it’s probably too late to change much about core gameplay. We only have one week to go til we see what happens. To be honest, I do enjoy H5’s chaotic gameplay style sometimes (except the spartan charge), but there’s also the old pure skill base of the old games. Being able to mix those to get a balanced, still skill based, but sometimes chaotic gameplay style would be fun.

The grappling hook… maybe as a MP spawn weapon/ability thing, or maybe a campaign easter egg. Not going to lie, swinging around in TF2 on the grapple is fun as heck, but it would need to be made to fit into Halo.

> 2535433024916972;18:
> > 2533274810989728;16:
> > > 2535433024916972;15:
> > > > 2533274810989728;3:
> > > > Spartan Charge, Ground Pound, Clamber (I want the skill of crouch jump/grenade jump back), Sprint (but I suppose if it HAS to be there, I can live with it if it worked like Halo Reach. I don’t want people running from engagements with enemies. If you start a fight, intend to finish it or get finished.) Basically, everything Halo 5 did. Why? Because I don’t think it fits in Halo AND it clogs up the controller. Too much junk going on and in H5, a good example of the Spartan Charge getting in your way is when an enemy runs from you rather than staying and fighting, you sprint after them so they don’t get away and you want to punish them with an assassination. Well too bad, within a few seconds, your insufferable Spartan Charge ability has readied itself and instead of the assassination, you slam your body into them and either get lucky and get the kill or you knock out their shields, send them flying forward and they can retaliate and kill you instead.
> > > >
> > > > PSA: Bring back the less cluttered classic gameplay and control schemes please.
> > >
> > > I definitely do not like spartan charge. It messes up assassinations, rewards players for running around recklessly, and is just an overall annoyance. And I do miss the skill jumping with grenades or crouching. I would like to see an option to make a custom control scheme too. I think sprint should stay, because it rewards players when they are careful with not sprinting around corners, but punishes others for not being careful. Thrust… kinda nice to mix up gameplay, but rewards players for bad positioning.
> >
> > I’d say a good example of what I feel the Halo fans want, at least a majority I think I can safely say, is ChrisRayGun’s “Make Halo Great Again” video. He actually managed to put my thought process behind Sprint into words about why it really shouldn’t be in Halo and even made me realize, I probably wouldn’t hate some of these abilities or advanced movement from H5 if they were tied to equipment like H3 or weapons found on the map. He actually almost made me want a grappling hook in Halo. Not that I do. But almost! I’d give it a watch as it really does get a lot of points across and he’s right in there too that the video came far too late to make a difference towards Halo Infinite, but hopefully HI does extremely, extremely well and isn’t just another FPS game, but a Halo game. And if they manage to do what people would like to see/expect from a Halo game, then it’d be amazing. We will probably dislike/like Halo Infinite. What we all want to do is to LOVE Halo Infinite. 343 needs to make us love it.
> >
> > I hope they can do that.
>
> Well, it’s true it’s probably too late to change much about core gameplay. We only have one week to go til we see what happens. To be honest, I do enjoy H5’s chaotic gameplay style sometimes (except the spartan charge), but there’s also the old pure skill base of the old games. Being able to mix those to get a balanced, still skill based, but sometimes chaotic gameplay style would be fun.
>
> The grappling hook… maybe as a MP spawn weapon/ability thing, or maybe a campaign easter egg. Not going to lie, swinging around in TF2 on the grapple is fun as heck, but it would need to be made to fit into Halo.

Yeah, he was basically spitballing ideas that came to mind of equipment or weapons that could grant advanced movement mechanics. Like how he demonstrated the lunge trick to make yourself move faster when using the energy sword or the brute shot to rocket jump without damaging yourself too much. That was always fun to do as well. Halo just needs to find its identity again, which basically was the fact it was a fun arena shooter. Things would get pretty chaotic thanks to the vehicles and power weapons and fun game modes. Most maps weren’t super gigantic so a lot could be done in terms of gameplay without the need to focus on how to get around and if it was big enough, that’s what the vehicles were there for. For all intents and purposes, people seem to believe Halo 5 is a good game. But not a good Halo game and people come to Halo for well… Halo. We want Halo back. Plain and simple. There’s so many ways to innovate and improve Halo without fiddling with the core mechanics and pacing of the franchise. I know many will argue about it and say otherwise, but Halo was a trend setter. Now it’s a trend follower and it doesn’t really distance itself from other FPS games on the market these days. It’s lost its uniqueness in my eyes and that’s painfully hard to admit because I love Halo. I hate, absolutely hate, talking negatively about it. But I do because I love it.

I just want Halo to be great again, really. I think we all do. Brothers in Arms till the day I die, but I fear I may be stepping off the Halo train for good if Infinite can’t find itself.

> 2535441367822132;17:
> Enhanced Mobility, in my opinion it breaks the fundamental gameplay of Halo. From sprint making vehicles practically redundant, to clamber taking the skill out of crouch and nade jump. Spartan Charge just rewards you for running around and pressing a button, the closest example to that I can think of is the Titan Shoulder charge in Destiny 2 and Ground Pound I found was almost never used. The ADS should also be removed, there is no reason for an SMG to have ADS, it breaks the weapon’s role in the sandbox and makes it accurate from along distance. Furthermore Hitmarkers and Grenade Indicators should be removed, there is no reasons for these things to be present, shield flares acted as hitmarkers and grenade indicators make grenades far to easy to dodge. I hope the extremely linear campaign level design from 4 and 5 doesn’t return either, I find it makes for less interesting combat encounters than levels from say Halo 3 or CE. Also no Req packs, customization should NOT be locked behind an RNG system, it should be earned like in Reach, 4 and 3.

You want an example of an annoying shoulder charge, the REAL annoying one was in Destiny 1 in the early months of The Taken King.

Also, I should point out that the ADS in Halo 5 doesn’t increase accuracy, it’s just a zoom-in and that’s it. It’s honestly an entirely pointless change. We already had a zoom-in by clicking the stick, why change it to the grenade button?