Things Halo needs in order to stay relevant.

First off, this is not a game-play thread. I’m not here to talk about if we need AAs or Sprint or whatever, this is strictly a features thread. What I believe the game NEEDS out of the box in order to compete in today’s marketplace. I will then go on to discuss features that will make it stand out as an exceptional title.

• Custom game finder + Spectator mode: One thing that 343 failed to realize is a very simple concept, and denying it only leads to failure, is that high level competitiveness is what gives your game longevity. It does not matter if you don’t play competitively, if the high skill level echelon does not exist, then the lower levels will crumble. Plain and simple. Inspiration should come from the acknowledgement of skill and the aspiration to attain it. It’s not about arbitrary XP and armor unlocks. Custom game finder and a True spectator mode will serve as a foundation to the competitive scene and ensure that it’s always easy to view/Play with serious players.
  • Focus on having QUALITY maps ON DISC and not rely on DLC to supplement: An FPS game lives or dies based on its maps. It is the single most important aspect of the games identity. This extends to the fact that maps should not be designed as “One size fits all” mentality. It takes VASTLY different design philosophies to create a Good Flag map vs a good Slayer map. Trying to make a map that “Works” with all gametypes, means you’ll end up with 1 map that plays every mode “Mediocrely”. This needs to be avoided.
  • Enhanced social features I should be able to find people with similar interests/playstyles as me. Right now there’s NOTHING. I can’t play with people my own skill level, I can’t play with people in my region, I can’t play with people who always have a mic. I NEVER quit matches, why am I still being placed with habitual quitters. I ALWAYS have a mic, why am I placed with people in party chat or no mic plugged in? This should not be occurring and the options should be there for the players to choose.
  • Unified trait set: I am not going to get into the nuances of gameplay but what I will say is it NEEDS to be unified. If I play CS:GO, DOTA2, SC2 it doesn’t matter If I’m playing Diamon league or Bronze the rules are the same, the difference is the caliber of players. As it should be. We Don’t need a classic vs Competetive vs casual divide. It only splinters the community. We need a SOLID single trait set across the board. Plain and simple.

Those are the things that are FUNDAMENTAL in the games success. Here’s what I think the game would benefit greatly from**
- Full featured map editor: Forge mode is a neat way to modify existing maps but as a map creator it is fundamentally flawed. Giving the community the ability to create amazing maps will only add to the longevity of the game and allow for the community to flourish. If you think they wouldn’t do this because it would hinder DLC, you may be right, But what’s better, Selling DLC that splinters the community OR selling more copies of games? Look to CS:GO for your answer.
- Consolidated Playlists: variable lobby size and enhanced voting options. Honestly, GTA 5 has the best voting system I’ve ever seen. 6 Vote Slots on screen at a time, which encompass different modes and party sizes, as well as an option to Veto All. Do this.
- Completely overhauled file browser: I shouldn’t have to go to youtube/google to find strategy videos/custom maps/gametypes etc. It should be versatile, easy and logical.
- Transparency between the community and 343: There needs to be open communication with 343 and the community figuring out what works and what doesn’t. The fact that it took almost a year to get the Weapon balancing TU is an absolute joke, and should NEVER happen again.
That’s all I got for now, and as a player of halo since it’s debut, and currently playing some of the biggest games in the world, DOTA 2, SC2 and CS:GO. This is truly what I believe Halo needs to be able to survive in today’s gaming world.

A very solid idea, and actually I think some of SCII will rub onto Halo since the guy who’s making the ranking system is the same one who made SCII’s. You’ve actually rendered me speechless. Well Done.

> A very solid idea, and actually I think some of SCII will rub onto Halo since the guy who’s making the ranking system is the same one who made SCII’s. You’ve actually rendered me speechless. Well Done.

Thanks, I’ve been thinking about this stuff for a while. It’s harder to come back to Halo after playing Dota 2, Sc2 and CS:GO and have to endure the straight up sub-par features in H4. There are so many quality Forge maps that no-one is playing because it’s so hard to get customs on the go. So much untapped potential that could’ve been made H4 a highlight for the Xbox 360.

Here’s to hoping 343 can knock the ball out of the park with the next iteration.

I like your Focus on having QUALITY maps ON DISC and not rely on DLC to supplement point. Less maps does not equal better quality.