Things change...

Well, I couldn’t have asked to become a believer in this game at a better time considering we are about a week and a half away from playing it. Throughout all of this time since it was announced, I was mega skeptical. I played Halo 1, 2 and 3 with zero complaints (save halo 2’s ending lol), but with Halo:Reach… I have broken two controllers AND the disc. I ended up getting another copy via a friend who didn’t want it though. The controllers however, turned out to be a very pricey fit of rage. My whole point here is that, for me (and many others), Halo stopped being fun when reach came out. It became a chore. It became a random roll of the dice kind of game, and I’m not a gambling man. So I looked at it like, “Well, I’ve never had the urge to choke a newborn kitten to death whilst playing Halo 1, 2 or 3… So I must conclude that these changes are horrible.” Now, I’m not defending the dreadful implementation on Bungies part. What I’m defending, are the ideas. For the longest time, all I was seeing was the return of these things that I felt ruined Halo to begin with. Armor abilities and bloom etc. so imagine my dismay upon hearing about “tactical packages” and “support upgrades”, “Unlockable gameplay items” and “specializations”. I felt they were running this franchise into the ground.

But recently I’ve been playing a lot of Halo 3 and some Halo: Reach, and I must say, it’s time for something new. It’s time for something exciting. Halo 3 is a great skill based game, but lacks depth. Halo: Reach did well in the depth department but miserably dismantled the dichotomy that existed between hardcore players and casual players. Halo 4 appears to be trying to set a sizeable skill gap while making sure not to alienate casuals. All the while layering in tons of new options and features to make the game completely fresh.

So my prediction for this game is that it will be like Halo 3 and Halo: Reach had a baby and only the good genes were passed on, and with enough new content to make it feel like a brand new game.

I’m ready for something new. Is it November 6th yet?!

+1

Thats how I felt as well, I’ve learned to look at Reach with alot rage, hate, and yet I feel Halo 3 and Halo 2 still offer me a great experience regardless, yet Halo 3 definately need a upgrade in some regards. Yet I enjoy the idea of Armor Abilities, and something that changes up the same ole frag fests that I have come to enjoy from Halo 1-3, and occasionally Reach when its played with Sprint only or classic.

I feel some of the Armor Abilities provide very interesting conflicts, and add a fun twist to the matches, a twist that I feel needs to be added to allow the game to evolve itself and not stay stuck in one spot all its lifetime. I feel Bungie however simply did not take the time to work with them or balance them, and seemingly rushed Reach as a title in general, the Maps alone are enough evidence of this.

I applaud 343i for going further, and making maps strictly designed for certain elements, while also allowing those same concepts to be balanced for everything the sandbox offers, this says alot about them as a whole, they are hard workers. Also not ripping maps straight from the Campaign and tweaking them slightly, which was one of Reach’s major issues, as none were designed with anything competitive in mind at all, is a god send.

I am happy to see others are looking at Halo 4 as a evolution, and a place that the series may just need to go to become a funner, and overall greater experience than we have gotten before, it honestly looks like its going to be a lot of fun :).

Change is not always good.

AGGH so many mental images.

So what you’re saying is Reach is the deadbeat dad with a fixation for booze, skydiving, and flashy Vegas lights, while Halo 3 is the -Yoink!- Mom with a heart of gold and quirky sense of hygiene. Out comes Junior and he’s going to be Hannibal Lecture sans the whole eating people draw back and can play the banjo while moon walking when auditioning on America’s got talent.

Well November is going to be dynomite!!!

I too, broke one of my controllers playing Halo Reach… lol.

You had the urge to choke a newborn kitten before? That’s not dark at all. Not funny.

I agree with a few points but then again I’ve never doubted where 343i will lead halo.

no-one is against change itself, however when the changes are pointless or horrible thats when people hate them.

> Change is not always good.

Not always bad, either

> +1

x100

> Well, I couldn’t have asked to become a believer in this game at a better time considering we are about a week and a half away from playing it. Throughout all of this time since it was announced, I was mega skeptical. I played Halo 1, 2 and 3 with zero complaints (save halo 2’s ending lol), but with Halo:Reach… I have broken two controllers AND the disc. I ended up getting another copy via a friend who didn’t want it though. The controllers however, turned out to be a very pricey fit of rage. My whole point here is that, for me (and many others), Halo stopped being fun when reach came out. It became a chore. It became a random roll of the dice kind of game, and I’m not a gambling man. So I looked at it like, “Well, I’ve never had the urge to choke a newborn kitten to death whilst playing Halo 1, 2 or 3… So I must conclude that these changes are horrible.” Now, I’m not defending the dreadful implementation on Bungies part. What I’m defending, are the ideas. For the longest time, all I was seeing was the return of these things that I felt ruined Halo to begin with. Armor abilities and bloom etc. so imagine my dismay upon hearing about “tactical packages” and “support upgrades”, “Unlockable gameplay items” and “specializations”. I felt they were running this franchise into the ground.
>
> But recently I’ve been playing a lot of Halo 3 and some Halo: Reach, and I must say, it’s time for something new. It’s time for something exciting. Halo 3 is a great skill based game, but lacks depth. Halo: Reach did well in the depth department but miserably dismantled the dichotomy that existed between hardcore players and casual players. Halo 4 appears to be trying to set a sizeable skill gap while making sure not to alienate casuals. All the while layering in tons of new options and features to make the game completely fresh.
>
> So my prediction for this game is that it will be like Halo 3 and Halo: Reach had a baby and only the good genes were passed on, and with enough new content to make it feel like a brand new game.
>
> I’m ready for something new. Is it November 6th yet?!

I dunno about choking a kitten, but i do agree with u 99%