They're, There, and Their LEARN IT PEOPLE!!!!

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

Apparently most of the forums have a sickness called bad grammar. So all you kids out “there” can know where to use these three very important words.

“They’re - There - Their” are pronounced the same,
but spelled differently according to usage:

“There” refers to a place.
Examples: There is a library in the first building. It is over there.
Hint: If you can use the word “here,” you have it right!

“They’re” is a contraction of “they are”
Example: They’re not in this building.
Hint: “They” is a pronoun and “are” is the verb.
If you can substitute “We are” you have it right!

“Their” is the posessive pronoun.
Example: Their library is located on the next street.
Hint: If you can substitute “our” you have it right!

If you need a quiz to test your skills then here is a link.
Better English.com quiz

That’s the American education system for you.

Tehere where ware and we’re?

Its a game right?

I’m more concerned about people confusing “then” and “than”, which seems to get a lot less attention.

Then is a sequence of time.
Than is comparing things.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Halo 4.

> This has absolutely nothing to do with Halo 4.

It has everything to do with the HALO 4 forums.

And why is this posted in the “Halo 4” section instead of the “General Discussion”?

Also, you do realize that many people who come here aren’t native English speakers. No this is not an excuse for them(and me), but it isn’t reasonable to expect perfect grammar from them.

As a non-native English speaker I find the difference between “then” and “than” harder than: their, they’re, there, your, you’re.

This annoys me also. If I was a monitor I would spend all day correcting people’s grammar for them.

I can get excempt from this because english isn’t my native language? =D (OK, no)

Watch out guys, we got a grammar -Yoink!-!

Why do you care so much about other people’s grammar? Just take pride that you have superior grammatical skills than them and leave it at that.

Your k/d with grammar must be astoudingly high to be posting about it in the Halo 4 forum

> Also, you do realize that many people who come here aren’t native English speakers. No this is not an excuse for them(and me), but it isn’t reasonable to expect perfect grammar from them.

Except in general those not native to the English language seem to type it better. Especially better than Americans because of their asinine “No Child Left Behind” BS.

They’d rather everyone be dumb than the people to peak at their capacity.

> Watch out guys, we got a grammar -Yoink!-!
>
> Why do you care so much about other people’s grammar? Just take pride that you have superior grammatical skills than them and leave it at that.

If people cared more about other people’s intelligence/knowledge the world would be a better place.

Lol, well done OP :slight_smile:

> > This has absolutely nothing to do with Halo 4.
>
> It has everything to do with the HALO 4 forums.

No it does not, this thread is discussing grammar not discussing Halo 4 so it shouldn’t be here.

what is this engrish yous speek off i wants know pleeze can teech i grammer is pour

I was bored, don’t ask.

Why do so many people get so butthurt over bad grammar on the internet?
I understand caring in real life, but why on a -Yoinking!- video game forum?

This is an off topic thread. But like many others of this type, I don’t think no one really cares.

Back to the point.

I don’t type English as well as I speak it, but they’re others world wide who post here, and in order to do so. THEY MUST POST IN ENGLISH. (Read that right here on these very forums) So they have to paste their concerns/replies onto a translation site, and then post it here. So you could say that a lot of things has been “lost in translation” so to speak.

A forum is a forum, whether it be about games or politics.

Forums are supposed to be places of intellectual discussion.

Agree with the OP 100%. Some others the bug the crap out of me :

affect/effect

those who spell paid as “payed”

and those who excuse themselves by saying one of the following:

“it’s the internetz, who cares”
“does it matter, you understood what I wrote.”

If you are going to attempt to make a point, you will get a lot further if you actually use proper English to get it across so you don’t look like an uneducated fool. A lot of these errors could be prevented if people actually PAID attention to their spell checker.