There's something about this logic that I don't understand...

Hello Waypoint folks, dude527 here again with another thread, because I know you all love to see me squabble! Wow, squabble is actually a word? I was only using it because it sounded right in that context, but I didn’t realize it would actually be a word. Note to self: Look up squabble in the dictionary later. Now what was I saying?.. Oh, right! The logic about Halo Anniversary that I didn’t understand! On with it then!

Now, before I start the thread proper, I want to put in a little disclaimer. First of all, and most importantly, I am in no way debating the should-be existence of classic Combat Evolved multiplayer in Anniversary. I fully understand that no matter what any of us have to say on the matter, Reach multiplayer will be part of the deal in Anniversary. So this thread is not about that; please don’t steer it in that direction. Secondly, I am not trying to be ungrateful, or even inquisitive. I thoroughly appreciate that 343 Industries is bringing back my all-time favorite campaign, beefing it up, and allowing me to love it even more ten years later. I generally try not to question that or demand more out of the package (though let it be noted that that does not stop me making suggestions). Rather, this thread is purely to point out what I see as an anomaly in one of the particular facets of reasoning regarding the disinclusion of Combat Evolved multiplayer in Anniversary, just for the sake of pointing it out. I’m not trying to make any specific points to help the cause of bringing my favorite multiplayer to the console. All that said, let’s get on with the thread.

Now to start, I want to post a quote from Frank O’Connor of 343 Industries. It’s from the very first Halo Bulletin on June 7, 2011. This quote describes one of the reasons he cites for choosing not to include Combat Evolved’s multiplayer in Anniversary: “If we added netcode to Halo CE’s console gameplay, it would change it irrevocably. It would NOT be the same game you remembered – it would be a compromised vision of it, with the pros and cons that lag, latency and more can bring.” I’m sure you’re all familiar with this reasoning Frankie provides. It’s been mirrored by countless people at 343 since Frankie originally said it, for one thing. It’s also probably the first reply anybody who criticizes the exclusion of Combat Evolved multiplayer on these forums gets.

I want to say that I understand this reasoning on principle, as a standalone. Many people played Combat Evolved on LAN, where lag was not a factor. I’ll give 343 that much ground on the matter. What I don’t understand is 343’s solution to this problem. In short, their solution is to give us some of our favorite classic maps in the current Halo multiplayer game, which is review, again, for many of us. This puzzles me. Let me tell you why.

I’ll start with intent. That’s at the core of my bewilderment, so it’s a good place to cut into. Let me be clear: One of 343’s intents is clearly to please the “hardcore” fanbase of Halo: Combat Evolved. Many people at 343 have expressed this. Frank O’Connor is again one of them, in this video: “… we’re certainly doing stuff with matchmaking to make those maps feel as close to the original matchmaking feel - simplicity, for example - as possible, plus some other stuff that we haven’t talked about yet, that’ll make some of the really hardcore vociferous complainers, right now, a little bit happier. We’ll never be able to make them ecstatic, but we’ll do our best.” This quote clearly expresses a desire to at least try to please people who want Combat Evolved multiplayer.

And so with intent clear, they present another solution, beyond just giving us our maps: They also want to allow us to play these maps in what they describe as a “more classic” way. I’ll just let another quote do the talking, this one from Dan Ayoub in this video: “What we’re also going to let you do is play those classic maps without these new additions, so it’s exactly as you remember from the first time.” This quote, along with Frankie’s earlier one, and the frequent hinting of other 343 personnel, makes it clear that 343 is poised to attempt to make Reach’s multiplayer mimic Combat Evolved’s multiplayer.

This is what I don’t understand. To reiterate: One of the reasons 343 chose not to provide Combat Evolved multiplayer in Anniversary was because they felt that it would compromise the original experience; what some people remember of that multiplayer. So instead of doing that, they’re offering these people an attempt at mimicking these memories in Reach. My question: How isn’t this also a “compromised” version of the multiplayer we remember? Why does 343 feel it’s not OK to compromise our original experience in an attempt to give us that original experience, while simultaneously feeling that it’s perfectly OK to compromise that original experience even more severely by offering an imitation of it, rather than a (probably not all that) “laggy” version that’s genuine? That’s what I don’t understand. Why would it ruin our memories to give us a version of our original multiplayer with modern netcode? How does offering an imitation of our fond memories not ruin them? Or, more succinctly, what does 343 feel it will do better than a direct updated port to enhance them?

That’s all I’ve got, people. Feel free to discuss.

Also, addendum (it wouldn’t fit in my first post): I am not taking any of the other reasoning provided for not including Combat Evolved’s multiplayer into consideration with this post (pistol--Yoink!-, interrupting Reach’s population). I am aware of all of that reasoning, and in fact, do agree with most of it, but please don’t bring it up; this thread is not about that. It’s about the one facet of this reasoning I talk about above.

If Frankie wants us Reach haters happy, he should consider making the TU add that classic factor.

-No bloom*
-No fall damage
-Melee bleedthrough or 3 melee kill
-No Armor Lock * / Nerf Armor Lock
-Nerf Grenades
-Division Symbol Vislbe Everywere

*At least for the Team Classic playlist.

Also, I don’t care if there is no HCEA MP, but Reach should last till Halo 4.

> If Frankie wants us Reach haters happy, he should consider making the TU add that classic factor.
>
> -No bloom*
> -No fall damage*
> -Melee bleedthrough or 3 melee kill
> -No Armor Lock * / Nerf Armor Lock
> -Nerf Grenades
> -Division Symbol Vislbe Everywere
>
> *At least for the Team Classic playlist.

This thread isn’t trying to talk about changes to Reach that could satisfy people who didn’t like Reach. Thanks for your input anyways, though! (:

(Also wanted to note that fall damage is pretty much necessary for maps like Spire to work as intended)

I just wanted to say that it’s 1 in the morning and I tried to read it, but it just confused me, so I’m going to read it when I wake up in a few hours and see if it makes sense.

> I just wanted to say that it’s 1 in the morning and I tried to read it, but it just confused me, so I’m going to read it when I wake up in a few hours and see if it makes sense.

That’s fair enough. I’ve always been told by my teachers that I’m a very wordy writer, so I understand.

> > I just wanted to say that it’s 1 in the morning and I tried to read it, but it just confused me, so I’m going to read it when I wake up in a few hours and see if it makes sense.
>
> That’s fair enough. I’ve always been told by my teachers that I’m a very wordy writer, so I understand.

It’s not that… I’m just exhausted.

Thats what I dont understand either…How are they going to get Reach multiplayer to play like Halo CE? Why not just port it over so its as close as we can get to the original. Or is the netcode or technical issues really that bothersome? Does that mean the mimick of HCE multiplayer will have hitscan weapons and the weapons wont be the same? I dont know what to make of their reasoning and actions either.

I’ll try to summarise why I think we’re getting an imitation and not a recreation of the original CE MP.
One word “Community”

343 obviously want to appease all their markets. There are people that love Reach. There are people that will come back to Halo with the release of Halo CE:A. I think what 343 are simply trying to do is keep everything in one place. From a marketing perspective you don’t want the community split. That would be a bad move for the Halo franchise.
The saying pulling in different directions comes to mind.

If the multilayer uses Reaches engine and we get an imitation CE MP then all 343’s resources are devoted to the Reach community.

If we had 2 Halo communities CE:A and Reach then it stands to reason 343 would have to split their team and we all end up with diluted support as 343 will be stretching themselves too much.

Now obviously 343 has MS support, (it’s effectively a wing of MS studio’s with some of the top guys from the early Halo days poached from Bungie). But the fact remains they haven’t made a penny off Halo yet (in theory) so to be splitting the teams to support 2 titles at this stage would be ludicrous.

Im happy with the way they’re going about things and I actually think that 343 could save Halo. I felt from Halo 3 Bungie had lost their way abit.

> I’ll try to summarise why I think we’re getting an imitation and not a recreation of the original CE MP.
> One word “Community”
>
> 343 obviously want to appease all their markets. There are people that love Reach. There are people that will come back to Halo with the release of Halo CE:A. I think what 343 are simply trying to do is keep everything in one place. From a marketing perspective you don’t want the community split. That would be a bad move for the Halo franchise.
> The saying pulling in different directions comes to mind.
>
>
> If the multilayer uses Reaches engine and we get an imitation CE MP then all 343’s resources are devoted to the Reach community.
>
> If we had 2 Halo communities CE:A and Reach then it stands to reason 343 would have to split their team and we all end up with diluted support as 343 will be stretching themselves too much.
>
> Now obviously 343 has MS support, (it’s effectively a wing of MS studio’s with some of the top guys from the early Halo days poached from Bungie). But the fact remains they haven’t made a penny off Halo yet (in theory) so to be splitting the teams to support 2 titles at this stage would be ludicrous.
>
>
> Im happy with the way they’re going about things and I actually think that 343 could save Halo. I felt from Halo 3 Bungie had lost their way abit.

Thing is, 343 is already supporting more than one title: They have had Halo Wars for a while, they acquired Halo 3 and ODST with Bungie Day (I think), and they’re about to acquire Reach. Halo Wars, Halo 3, and Reach already all have viable communities, so I don’t think that’s the reason. At least, I don’t think it’s a legitimate reason. In other words, I think you’re right, but I don’t agree with it. They’re going to have to support more than a single title at some point. To boot, they don’t even have to make Anniversary large. It’s not a game that needs matchmaking; a simple lobby search system would do the game really well. Those kinds of systems support niche communities - which is what Combat Evolved has on the console - really well, while the matchmaking system of Reach and Halo 3 supports large populations, and is ideal for that.

The point with that statement is that there are more ways to solve this problem than just folding the page (so to speak) on the Combat Evolved community, so that we have “half a page” of each (that was a really bad analogy). Anniversary doesn’t have to be a “main” multiplayer release. If they correctly emphasize the fact that it’s a direct port of an old multiplayer and support that statement by putting in a lobby search system, I think a lot of people would turn away from actually getting into it, while the people who would actually get into it would smile, satisfied. I don’t know. It’s 5:30 AM here now and my brain’s not functioning right, so my words aren’t coming out well…

> > I’ll try to summarise why I think we’re getting an imitation and not a recreation of the original CE MP.
> > One word “Community”
> >
> > 343 obviously want to appease all their markets. There are people that love Reach. There are people that will come back to Halo with the release of Halo CE:A. I think what 343 are simply trying to do is keep everything in one place. From a marketing perspective you don’t want the community split. That would be a bad move for the Halo franchise.
> > The saying pulling in different directions comes to mind.
> >
> >
> > If the multilayer uses Reaches engine and we get an imitation CE MP then all 343’s resources are devoted to the Reach community.
> >
> > If we had 2 Halo communities CE:A and Reach then it stands to reason 343 would have to split their team and we all end up with diluted support as 343 will be stretching themselves too much.
> >
> > Now obviously 343 has MS support, (it’s effectively a wing of MS studio’s with some of the top guys from the early Halo days poached from Bungie). But the fact remains they haven’t made a penny off Halo yet (in theory) so to be splitting the teams to support 2 titles at this stage would be ludicrous.
> >
> >
> > Im happy with the way they’re going about things and I actually think that 343 could save Halo. I felt from Halo 3 Bungie had lost their way abit.
>
> Thing is, 343 is already supporting more than one title: They have had Halo Wars for a while, they acquired Halo 3 and ODST with Bungie Day (I think), and they’re about to acquire Reach. Halo Wars, Halo 3, and Reach already all have viable communities, so I don’t think that’s the reason. At least, I don’t think it’s a legitimate reason. In other words, I think you’re right, but I don’t agree with it. They’re going to have to support more than a single title at some point. To boot, they don’t even have to make Anniversary large. It’s not a game that needs matchmaking; a simple lobby search system would do the game really well. Those kinds of systems support niche communities - which is what Combat Evolved has on the console - really well, while the matchmaking system of Reach and Halo 3 supports large populations, and is ideal for that.
>
> The point with that statement is that there are more ways to solve this problem than just folding the page (so to speak) on the Combat Evolved community, so that we have “half a page” of each (that was a really bad analogy). Anniversary doesn’t have to be a “main” multiplayer release. If they correctly emphasize the fact that it’s a direct port of an old multiplayer and support that statement by putting in a lobby search system, I think a lot of people would turn away from actually getting into it, while the people who would actually get into it would smile, satisfied. I don’t know. It’s 5:30 AM here now and my brain’s not functioning right, so my words aren’t coming out well…

There is no more support for Halo 3, it is what it is, and it will never change, same for Halo wars. Halo 3 odst requires no support because it has no matchmaking what so ever. The only focus for them right now is Reach. They are tweaking the mechanics from reach for a special playlist when CE: anniversary comes out, so that they playlist plays AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE like the original, without the ridiculous lag and whatnot from the original.

> > > I’ll try to summarise why I think we’re getting an imitation and not a recreation of the original CE MP.
> > > One word “Community”
> > >
> > > 343 obviously want to appease all their markets. There are people that love Reach. There are people that will come back to Halo with the release of Halo CE:A. I think what 343 are simply trying to do is keep everything in one place. From a marketing perspective you don’t want the community split. That would be a bad move for the Halo franchise.
> > > The saying pulling in different directions comes to mind.
> > >
> > >
> > > If the multilayer uses Reaches engine and we get an imitation CE MP then all 343’s resources are devoted to the Reach community.
> > >
> > > If we had 2 Halo communities CE:A and Reach then it stands to reason 343 would have to split their team and we all end up with diluted support as 343 will be stretching themselves too much.
> > >
> > > Now obviously 343 has MS support, (it’s effectively a wing of MS studio’s with some of the top guys from the early Halo days poached from Bungie). But the fact remains they haven’t made a penny off Halo yet (in theory) so to be splitting the teams to support 2 titles at this stage would be ludicrous.
> > >
> > >
> > > Im happy with the way they’re going about things and I actually think that 343 could save Halo. I felt from Halo 3 Bungie had lost their way abit.
> >
> > Thing is, 343 is already supporting more than one title: They have had Halo Wars for a while, they acquired Halo 3 and ODST with Bungie Day (I think), and they’re about to acquire Reach. Halo Wars, Halo 3, and Reach already all have viable communities, so I don’t think that’s the reason. At least, I don’t think it’s a legitimate reason. In other words, I think you’re right, but I don’t agree with it. They’re going to have to support more than a single title at some point. To boot, they don’t even have to make Anniversary large. It’s not a game that needs matchmaking; a simple lobby search system would do the game really well. Those kinds of systems support niche communities - which is what Combat Evolved has on the console - really well, while the matchmaking system of Reach and Halo 3 supports large populations, and is ideal for that.
> >
> > The point with that statement is that there are more ways to solve this problem than just folding the page (so to speak) on the Combat Evolved community, so that we have “half a page” of each (that was a really bad analogy). Anniversary doesn’t have to be a “main” multiplayer release. If they correctly emphasize the fact that it’s a direct port of an old multiplayer and support that statement by putting in a lobby search system, I think a lot of people would turn away from actually getting into it, while the people who would actually get into it would smile, satisfied. I don’t know. It’s 5:30 AM here now and my brain’s not functioning right, so my words aren’t coming out well…
>
> There is no more support for Halo 3, it is what it is, and it will never change, same for Halo wars. Halo 3 odst requires no support because it has no matchmaking what so ever. The only focus for them right now is Reach. They are tweaking the mechanics from reach for a special playlist when CE: anniversary comes out, so that they playlist plays AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE like the original, without the ridiculous lag and whatnot from the original.

Yes, I said as much in the OP.

> > If Frankie wants us Reach haters happy, he should consider making the TU add that classic factor.
> >
> > -No bloom*
> > -No fall damage*
> > -Melee bleedthrough or 3 melee kill
> > -No Armor Lock * / Nerf Armor Lock
> > -Nerf Grenades
> > -Division Symbol Vislbe Everywere
> >
> > *At least for the Team Classic playlist.
>
> This thread isn’t trying to talk about changes to Reach that could satisfy people who didn’t like Reach. Thanks for your input anyways, though! (:
>
>
> (Also wanted to note that fall damage is pretty much necessary for maps like Spire to work as intended)

Well that and you can’t have the Classic CE gameplay without Reach’s reduced jump height, powerful grenades or fall damage. That’s not a list of CE-classic elements, it’s a list of Halo2-classic elements.

> If Frankie wants us Reach haters happy, he should consider making the TU add that classic factor.
>
> -No bloom*
> -No fall damage
> -Melee bleedthrough or 3 melee kill
> -No Armor Lock * / Nerf Armor Lock
> -Nerf Grenades
> -Division Symbol Vislbe Everywere
>
> *At least for the Team Classic playlist.
>
>
> Also, I don’t care if there is no HCEA MP, but Reach should last till Halo 4.

This is probably what’s going to happen. Add options for all of this in a TU, incorporate it into a Classic playlist, hardcore are a little happier.

Regarding the OP:

I wonder if you read THIS HALO BULLETIN.

It hints at steps 343 are taking that I feel hold the answer to your question.

Here is an article I wrote for my website that discusses this very issue:

This weeks’ Halo Bulletin, care of 343 Indutries’ Community Manager BS Angel, contained some interesting little tidbits about the future of Halo Reach.
In particular, it was revealed that a Title Update for Halo Reach is in the works. Very few details have been given at this point, although it is clear that the focus of the Title Update will be hooking in some form of integration between Halo Reach and Halo CE Anniversary. Now, this gets a little complicated, so here’s some background to get you up to speed: **
Halo CE Anniversary is an HD remake of the original Halo CE. Developed by Saber Interactive and 343 Industries, Halo CEA runs on Bungie’s original 2001 game engine, with a secondary graphics engine running over top of it. This means that the core gameplay experience will be exactly the same as Halo CE, just with improved visuals. Well, that’s how the campaign will work. Halo CE Anniversary’s Multiplayer is a slightly different story. Rather than take the original Halo CE multiplayer and add online functionality, CE Anniversary’s multiplayer will take the form of content added to the existing Halo Reach multiplayer. CEA will ship with 7 new multiplayer maps (6 competitive and 1 Firefight), developed by Certain Affinity, that will become part of the Halo Reach multiplayer experience. **
Here’s where it gets a little complicated: Players who own Halo Reach and Halo CE Anniversary will get access to both game’s multiplayer components in 1 seamless experience. Boot up Halo Reach, and you’ll get to play all the standard maps, plus the 7 new ones. If you only have Halo CE Anniversary, you will get access to the 7 new maps included with the game, but not the full Reach online experience. Here’s where the Title Update comes into play. Halo Reach currently has all the coding it needs to separate multiplayer content into different groups, thanks to its “Playlist” system. For example, the Noble and Defiant map packs have their own dedicated playlists, since not everyone who plays Reach owns the premium map packs. 343 has not yet detailed the exact manner in which Halo CE Anniversary’s maps will appear in Reach matchmaking, but a dedicated “CE Anniversary Playlist” is a logical guess. Based on the information in this week’s Bulletin, it looks like 343 is taking things a step farther. “… will not only sit side-by-side with Reach’s existing gameplay and will be accessible by both Reach and Anniversary players, but will allow us to make fairly significant changes to multiplayer gameplay within the confines of Matchmaking. We’ve talked about this as a way to better recreate the classic Halo: CE feel for the new classic maps, and it will let us do some things in gameplay that simply aren’t possible now.” – BS Angel Ok, time for some speculation on my part. To me, this clearly indicates that the focus of this Title Update is not to make sweeping changes to Reach’s existing gameplay mechanics, but rather add a new set of gameplay options and mechanics to suit the Classic Maps that ship with Halo CE Anniversary. BS Angel gives this example in the Bulletin: “…an example scenario would be allowing you to play, say, [REDACTED] with zero fall damage.” – BS Angel This brings about some exciting possibilities. It looks to me like 343 is giving themselves the ability to re-create Halo CE’s gameplay within the Halo Reach multiplayer engine. If they can “turn off” gameplay mechanics such as fall-damage, we might also see them making adjustments to player speed, jump height, health and shield mechanics, weapon damage, etc. The best part? These changes could be included into specific playlists, without effecting the mainline Reach multiplayer. In other words, we might see playlists that contain nothing but “classic” maps with “classic” gameplay, while other playlists will continue to feature the standard Reach gameplay settings. Why is this so cool? Because it pleases everyone. The Halo community is quite decidedly split into two camps: Those who love Halo Reach’s game mechanics, and those who prefer Halo CE’s mechanics. If 343 uses this Title Update the way I suspect, it will allow them to cater to both camps equally, without taking away from either one. I would personally be happy to play standard Reach multiplayer on the new classic maps, but there are others who don’t agree with me. From what we know so far, it looks like 343 is taking steps to make both options available. In theory, we could even see these “classic” gameplay changes added as a pre-set gametype, meaning they could be added into all of Reach’s matchmaking in an optional way. Of course, most of this is conjecture on my part. For now, there are many questions left unanswered, such as “Will these gameplay options be added into Reach’s Custom Game menu?”, or “Will classic weapons be added into the classic maps to go with the classic gameplay?”. As usual, I’ll keep you all posted!

> > If Frankie wants us Reach haters happy, he should consider making the TU add that classic factor.
> >
> > -No bloom*
> > -No fall damage
> > -Melee bleedthrough or 3 melee kill
> > -No Armor Lock * / Nerf Armor Lock
> > -Nerf Grenades
> > -Division Symbol Vislbe Everywere
> >
> > *At least for the Team Classic playlist.
> >
> >
> > Also, I don’t care if there is no HCEA MP, but Reach should last till Halo 4.
>
> This is probably what’s going to happen. Add options for all of this in a TU, incorporate it into a Classic playlist, hardcore are a little happier.

They shouldn’t just make it for a Classic playlist. Incorporate that across all of Reach. They game will still, excuse me, suck if they don’t.

Honestly, if that’s the best they can do, add all the improvements into one playlist. Then I’ll be done with Reach. Game doesn’t deserve what little time I give to it anyway.

> Regarding the OP:
>
> I wonder if you read THIS HALO BULLETIN.
>
> It hints at steps 343 are taking that I feel hold the answer to your question.
>
> Here is an article I wrote for my website that discusses this very issue:
>
> REDACTED FOR SPACE

I read all of the Halo Bulletins, just for future reference, and have also read all of the Bungie Weekly Updates since Halo 3’s release (just to show how habitual a Halo nut I am). To clear a few things up, I do understand the reasoning for offering an imitation in the Reach engine; they want to attempt to consolidate communities and offer the maps to both parts. It’s reasonable.

That said, why don’t they just say as much? Users pretty much have to read between the lines, and I think this thread proves as much. Why don’t they just say it’s for some convenience and accessibility purposes, rather than trying to tell us that they’re trying not to tarnish our memories? We all clearly want to relive our multiplayer memories in Combat Evolved, making that reasoning crap and causing some people to think 343 is ignoring the Combat Evolved multiplayer fans. Accessibility through consolidation is much more reasonable, so again, why not just say as much?

(I also know that no matter what they said, they still would have gotten masses of complainers)

> > Regarding the OP:
> >
> > I wonder if you read THIS HALO BULLETIN.
> >
> > It hints at steps 343 are taking that I feel hold the answer to your question.
> >
> > Here is an article I wrote for my website that discusses this very issue:
> >
> > REDACTED FOR SPACE
>
> I read all of the Halo Bulletins, just for future reference, and have also read all of the Bungie Weekly Updates since Halo 3’s release (just to show how habitual a Halo nut I am). To clear a few things up, I do understand the reasoning for offering an imitation in the Reach engine; they want to attempt to consolidate communities and offer the maps to both parts. It’s reasonable.
>
> That said, why don’t they just say as much?

They did say as much. Frankie spoke very clearly to this issue on the latest episode of the Sparkast.

> > > If Frankie wants us Reach haters happy, he should consider making the TU add that classic factor.
> > >
> > > -No bloom*
> > > -No fall damage
> > > -Melee bleedthrough or 3 melee kill
> > > -No Armor Lock * / Nerf Armor Lock
> > > -Nerf Grenades
> > > -Division Symbol Vislbe Everywere
> > >
> > > *At least for the Team Classic playlist.
> > >
> > >
> > > Also, I don’t care if there is no HCEA MP, but Reach should last till Halo 4.
> >
> > This is probably what’s going to happen. Add options for all of this in a TU, incorporate it into a Classic playlist, hardcore are a little happier.
>
> They shouldn’t just make it for a Classic playlist. Incorporate that across all of Reach. They game will still, excuse me, suck if they don’t.
>
> Honestly, if that’s the best they can do, add all the improvements into one playlist. Then I’ll be done with Reach. Game doesn’t deserve what little time I give to it anyway.

You’re completely ignoring the MASSIVE portion of the community that is completely happy with Reach as it is. Don’t you think it would be better in the long run to give players both options? That way people who prefer Halo CE gameplaya are happy, people who prefer Reach gameplay are happy, and people who like to play both are also happy. Win/win/win :slight_smile:

1: Making something more like something old will be piss of less people than trying to add new features to something old.

2: Its much easier to work with Reach than it is to work with Halo: CE.

3: They know that trying to split the Halo population over three games (Halo 3, Reach, CEA) would absolutely murder it. Unlike some of the people on this board and B.Net, most publishers and developers realize that CoD is the new king of the mountain and if you’re going to be competing against it you need to offer a consolidated effort; even just splitting the Halo population between Reach and CEA would almost certainly open the door for CoD to murder it. So you tweak and polish and push the newest, freshest entry in the series (which is Reach) to give it some more staying power and save the radical paradigm-changers for the next big entry in the series (Halo 4).

4: Also, the subtle implication of Frankie’s “wouldn’t be the same” line is less about the actual quality of the game and more about the fact of how many people’s perception of Halo:CE would be shattered if it was exposed in such a way, and no longer was what they actually wanted. (IE: Those people expecting to gods of Halo when they go on then getting ROFLSTOMP’d and quitting, etc.)