There needs to more serious quit penalties

If 343 isn’t going to allow JIP, at least have a temporary matchmaking ban for those players who quit early. I think less than half my arena games have complete teams on both sides at the end of the match and it really is getting annoying.

For those who quit the first time on any given day (yes, first time - too many players have quit in the games I play and it is as annoying as heck), impose a 3 minute matchmaking ban with bans getting more serious the more the quitting. If he quits too often in a day, impose an x3 CSR penalty or something.

Alternatively, allow JIP - to facilitate this, the new joining player will not record a loss on his service record if his team loses but will record a win if his team wins.

Quite simple isn’t it?

I’m currently ban for 24 hours for quitting games that were so laggy people were straight up disappearing off my screen and not reappearing until after I was long dead

before they start doling out “strongert” penalties they should give us the selectable data centres we were originally promised so I can stop playing games on foreign servers which are absolutely unplayable and unwinnable

> 2533274796069271;1:
> If 343 isn’t going to allow JIP, at least have a temporary matchmaking ban for those players who quit early. I think less than half my arena games have complete teams on both sides at the end of the match and it really is getting annoying.
>
> For those who quit the first time on any given day (yes, first time - too many players have quit in the games I play and it is as annoying as heck), impose a 3 minute matchmaking ban with bans getting more serious the more the quitting. If he quits too often in a day, impose an x3 CSR penalty or something.
>
> Alternatively, allow JIP - to facilitate this, the new joining player will not record a loss on his service record if his team loses but will record a win if his team wins.
>
> Quite simple isn’t it?

No ,no, no, JIP in ranked matches. It is a waste of time for the person who JIP’ed, and can actually hurt some teams. If I am playing and trying to get ranked, or ranked up, why would I ever want to be placed on a team that is being decimated. The game started with 8 players. There should be no more than 8 on the final roster. By not counting losses, you invite griefers who will purposefully lose the match. Occasionally, losing a player helps a team. I was playing a match earlier today, where my team had 4 and the other had 3, one team member went 2/16 (I don’t blame him, he was the lowest ranked guy in the match and was actually trying game stats) but if he were to quit, we would have had a stronger chance of winning. I don’t encourage quitting, the only way people will get better is by playing the game, but if someone is doing poorly and quits, don’t replace them with someone who may be just as bad. That works in social, but not ranked. That being said, I don’t think anyone should quit more than twice in a day, and be able to play for a few hours.

> 2533274832130936;2:
> I’m currently ban for 24 hours for quitting games that were so laggy people were straight up disappearing off my screen and not reappearing until after I was long dead
>
> before they start doling out “strongert” penalties they should give us the selectable data centres we were originally promised so I can stop playing games on foreign servers which are absolutely unplayable and unwinnable

I empathize with this one, but not all the matches I play have this problem and most of the quitters quit because they just started off really badly.

(That said I do agree there is a need to have server select)

> 2533274832089275;3:
> > 2533274796069271;1:
> > If 343 isn’t going to allow JIP, at least have a temporary matchmaking ban for those players who quit early. I think less than half my arena games have complete teams on both sides at the end of the match and it really is getting annoying.
> >
> > For those who quit the first time on any given day (yes, first time - too many players have quit in the games I play and it is as annoying as heck), impose a 3 minute matchmaking ban with bans getting more serious the more the quitting. If he quits too often in a day, impose an x3 CSR penalty or something.
> >
> > Alternatively, allow JIP - to facilitate this, the new joining player will not record a loss on his service record if his team loses but will record a win if his team wins.
> >
> > Quite simple isn’t it?
>
>
> No ,no, no, JIP in ranked matches. It is a waste of time for the person who JIP’ed, and can actually hurt some teams. If I am playing and trying to get ranked, or ranked up, why would I ever want to be placed on a team that is being decimated. The game started with 8 players. There should be no more than 8 on the final roster. By not counting losses, you invite griefers who will purposefully lose the match. Occasionally, losing a player helps a team. I was playing a match earlier today, where my team had 4 and the other had 3, one team member went 2/16 (I don’t blame him, he was the lowest ranked guy in the match and was actually trying game stats) but if he were to quit, we would have had a stronger chance of winning. I don’t encourage quitting, the only way people will get better is by playing the game, but if someone is doing poorly and quits, don’t replace them with someone who may be just as bad. That works in social, but not ranked. That being said, I don’t think anyone should quit more than twice in a day, and be able to play for a few hours.

Rarely (it does happen though) do I get games where having 3 actually helps over having 4 but most of the time the superior numbers count. Further, half the time when there are 3 players left, another one will just quit and then it’s 2 v 4. Also, why do you think there will definitely be people who will want to purposely lose the match? I haven’t encountered any in my games (I just assume that they are just bad or really outmatched).

Anyway, if there is no JIP, there ought to be heavier quit penalties.

This game already has some pretty harsh quit penalties. MCC had the harshest quit penalties I’ve ever seen. You know what two Halo games elevated quitting to epidemic status? This one and MCC. So how on earth do you imagine that penalties are the answer to quitting when the data suggests exactly the opposite? I’m not saying that I have the answer - I’m just saying that the track record for penalty-based anti-quitting policies is abysmal.

> 2533274796069271;5:
> > 2533274832089275;3:
> > > 2533274796069271;1:
> > > If 343 isn’t going to allow JIP, at least have a temporary matchmaking ban for those players who quit early. I think less than half my arena games have complete teams on both sides at the end of the match and it really is getting annoying.
> > > For those who quit the first time on any given day (yes, first time - too many players have quit in the games I play and it is as annoying as heck), impose a 3 minute matchmaking ban with bans getting more serious the more the quitting. If he quits too often in a day, impose an x3 CSR penalty or something.
> > > Alternatively, allow JIP - to facilitate this, the new joining player will not record a loss on his service record if his team loses but will record a win if his team wins.
> > > Quite simple isn’t it?
> >
> >
> > No ,no, no, JIP in ranked matches. It is a waste of time for the person who JIP’ed, and can actually hurt some teams. If I am playing and trying to get ranked, or ranked up, why would I ever want to be placed on a team that is being decimated. The game started with 8 players. There should be no more than 8 on the final roster. By not counting losses, you invite griefers who will purposefully lose the match. Occasionally, losing a player helps a team. I was playing a match earlier today, where my team had 4 and the other had 3, one team member went 2/16 (I don’t blame him, he was the lowest ranked guy in the match and was actually trying game stats) but if he were to quit, we would have had a stronger chance of winning. I don’t encourage quitting, the only way people will get better is by playing the game, but if someone is doing poorly and quits, don’t replace them with someone who may be just as bad. That works in social, but not ranked. That being said, I don’t think anyone should quit more than twice in a day, and be able to play for a few hours.
>
>
> Rarely (it does happen though) do I get games where having 3 actually helps over having 4 but most of the time the superior numbers count. Further, half the time when there are 3 players left, another one will just quit and then it’s 2 v 4. Also, why do you think there will definitely be people who will want to purposely lose the match? I haven’t encountered any in my games (I just assume that they are just bad or really outmatched).
> Anyway, if there is no JIP, there ought to be heavier quit penalties.

If the loss wont count against them, in theory, they wont play as hard. If they dont have anything on the line they’ll just -Yoink- around until the end of the game. You will get some people that will try to help out towards the win, but i can see the majority just screwing around until the end of the game.
I am not a fan of JIP, I feel if you started the match, you should finish it, period. The only way to make sure everyone will finish the game is harsh time penalties for quitting, if they continue to quit, permanently de-rank them. They would not be able to join ranked matches anymore and would only be able to play with other people in the same situation. This would allow those people to play how they want, with who they want, and not bother the people that are really trying to play the game. This would really make people think before they quit because now you will lose out on 95% of the playlists and will never be allowed back…and its THEIR fault…Tie the ban to the console and not the gamertag and it will really send a message out to people.

The problem with making bans too harsh is that it will discourage players from playing the game. For example, if a player going solo with randoms into arena gets wrecked by a party of 4, said player may quit and get a ban - discouraging them from playing and reducing player populations. 343i should work on fixing things like this before changing ban penalties in my opinion.

> 2535428321626321;8:
> The problem with making bans too harsh is that it will discourage players from playing the game. For example, if a player going solo with randoms into arena gets wrecked by a party of 4, said player may quit and get a ban - discouraging them from playing and reducing player populations. 343i should work on fixing things like this before changing ban penalties in my opinion.

I dont really agree with this because I play solo a lot, and I stick it out until the end. I have been in countless 1v4 slayer AND breakout matches…It’s the only way to learn new tactics and get better. Being in that situation is all about thinking and figuring out how to make this a reasonable game. Run and gun stops and it becomes a chest match. Once you get back in with a full team use what you learned and the game gets easier.

> 2604983891615163;9:
> > 2535428321626321;8:
> > The problem with making bans too harsh is that it will discourage players from playing the game. For example, if a player going solo with randoms into arena gets wrecked by a party of 4, said player may quit and get a ban - discouraging them from playing and reducing player populations. 343i should work on fixing things like this before changing ban penalties in my opinion.
>
>
> I dont really agree with this because I play solo a lot, and I stick it out until the end. I have been in countless 1v4 slayer AND breakout matches…It’s the only way to learn new tactics and get better. Being in that situation is all about thinking and figuring out how to make this a reasonable game. Run and gun stops and it becomes a chest match. Once you get back in with a full team use what you learned and the game gets easier.

Early quitting has really hurt me in qualifying matches because I don’t have a team. Even though I also played a lot of 1v1 and 2v4 slater matches, I finish the game still but really wish there was a more severe method of dissuading others from quitting. It really hurts the game.

Even in WZ matches where I burn a legendary boost and get thrown in to a middle of a losing match because of quitters and in turn lose the best opportunity for the boost.

> 2533274794492347;10:
> > 2604983891615163;9:
> > > 2535428321626321;8:
> > > The problem with making bans too harsh is that it will discourage players from playing the game. For example, if a player going solo with randoms into arena gets wrecked by a party of 4, said player may quit and get a ban - discouraging them from playing and reducing player populations. 343i should work on fixing things like this before changing ban penalties in my opinion.
> >
> >
> > I dont really agree with this because I play solo a lot, and I stick it out until the end. I have been in countless 1v4 slayer AND breakout matches…It’s the only way to learn new tactics and get better. Being in that situation is all about thinking and figuring out how to make this a reasonable game. Run and gun stops and it becomes a chest match. Once you get back in with a full team use what you learned and the game gets easier.
>
>
> Early quitting has really hurt me in qualifying matches because I don’t have a team. Even though I also played a lot of 1v1 and 2v4 slater matches, I finish the game still but really wish there was a more severe method of dissuading others from quitting. It really hurts the game.

I agree it definitely hurts the game. I think the bans should be as harsh as possible, even with permanent de-ranking if they dont stop (I made a post about it above).

> 2533274796069271;1:
> If 343 isn’t going to allow JIP, at least have a temporary matchmaking ban for those players who quit early. I think less than half my arena games have complete teams on both sides at the end of the match and it really is getting annoying.
>
> For those who quit the first time on any given day (yes, first time - too many players have quit in the games I play and it is as annoying as heck), impose a 3 minute matchmaking ban with bans getting more serious the more the quitting. If he quits too often in a day, impose an x3 CSR penalty or something.
>
> Alternatively, allow JIP - to facilitate this, the new joining player will not record a loss on his service record if his team loses but will record a win if his team wins.
>
> Quite simple isn’t it?

I agree, a short ban for any quitting or going afk is appropriate. There are legitimate reasons for quitting or going afk, someone at the door, baby crying, spilled coffee on yourself, ect. All of those things take more than a few minutes to resolve, so people dealing with issues like that would generally not even notice the banhammer. People quitting because they don’t like the game type, don’t want to lose ect, would notice though, when they couldn’t just jump into another game. I also think quitting should always count as a loss on your service record or result in being docked Req/XP points or something.

That said, in order for this to work, 343 would need to come up with ways to decrease disconnects or at the very least ensure that they register differently than quitting the game. People who have a disconnect shouldn’t receive any ban. The problem is then that people who want to quit could just unplug their modem to avoid the ban.

I’m in favor of short bans and Req/XP losses for any quitting, with a system in place to better differentiate between quitting and disconnects.

Overgrowth is by far the worst map for quitters. I have yet to play a full match with both teams being full.
As a side note. This game DESPERATELY NEEDS MORE MAPS across all gametypes.

It sucks, but, you cannot force people to enjoy something they are not having fun with. You canNOT force them to do something they don’t want to do. Also remember many people have issues with the servers and get lag out from them, and and the mayority of the maps are unbalanced too. They introduce more penalties they are going discourage the players from playing. The devs need to really check how their game behaves intead of taking it out on other people

> 2533274796069271;5:
> > 2533274832089275;3:
> > > 2533274796069271;1:
> > > If 343 isn’t going to allow JIP, at least have a temporary matchmaking ban for those players who quit early. I think less than half my arena games have complete teams on both sides at the end of the match and it really is getting annoying.
> > >
> > > For those who quit the first time on any given day (yes, first time - too many players have quit in the games I play and it is as annoying as heck), impose a 3 minute matchmaking ban with bans getting more serious the more the quitting. If he quits too often in a day, impose an x3 CSR penalty or something.
> > >
> > > Alternatively, allow JIP - to facilitate this, the new joining player will not record a loss on his service record if his team loses but will record a win if his team wins.
> > >
> > > Quite simple isn’t it?
> >
> >
> > No ,no, no, JIP in ranked matches. It is a waste of time for the person who JIP’ed, and can actually hurt some teams. If I am playing and trying to get ranked, or ranked up, why would I ever want to be placed on a team that is being decimated. The game started with 8 players. There should be no more than 8 on the final roster. By not counting losses, you invite griefers who will purposefully lose the match. Occasionally, losing a player helps a team. I was playing a match earlier today, where my team had 4 and the other had 3, one team member went 2/16 (I don’t blame him, he was the lowest ranked guy in the match and was actually trying game stats) but if he were to quit, we would have had a stronger chance of winning. I don’t encourage quitting, the only way people will get better is by playing the game, but if someone is doing poorly and quits, don’t replace them with someone who may be just as bad. That works in social, but not ranked. That being said, I don’t think anyone should quit more than twice in a day, and be able to play for a few hours.
>
>
> Rarely (it does happen though) do I get games where having 3 actually helps over having 4 but most of the time the superior numbers count. Further, half the time when there are 3 players left, another one will just quit and then it’s 2 v 4. Also, why do you think there will definitely be people who will want to purposely lose the match? I haven’t encountered any in my games (I just assume that they are just bad or really outmatched).
>
> Anyway, if there is no JIP, there ought to be heavier quit penalties.

Regarding the 3v4. This is because 343 have turned the game into a fast moving Spartan charge and grenade spam which takes most of the skill out of the game.

There aren’t many opportunities for 1v1 battles. If you do survive a battle, then another member of the opposing team will be there to finish you off with his assault rifle from half the map away.

A double or triple in this game is based on whether I got lucky with my grenade spam (or whether I’ve got the Sword on Undergrowth).

I used to be able to get double/triples with the Battle Rifle/DMR in previous Halo’s. You can hardly do this with the smaller maps and the constant sprint in H5.

> 2604983891615163;7:
> > 2533274796069271;5:
> > > 2533274832089275;3:
> > > > 2533274796069271;1:
> > > > If 343 isn’t going to allow JIP, at least have a temporary matchmaking ban for those players who quit early. I think less than half my arena games have complete teams on both sides at the end of the match and it really is getting annoying.
> > > > For those who quit the first time on any given day (yes, first time - too many players have quit in the games I play and it is as annoying as heck), impose a 3 minute matchmaking ban with bans getting more serious the more the quitting. If he quits too often in a day, impose an x3 CSR penalty or something.
> > > > Alternatively, allow JIP - to facilitate this, the new joining player will not record a loss on his service record if his team loses but will record a win if his team wins.
> > > > Quite simple isn’t it?
> > >
> > >
> > > No ,no, no, JIP in ranked matches. It is a waste of time for the person who JIP’ed, and can actually hurt some teams. If I am playing and trying to get ranked, or ranked up, why would I ever want to be placed on a team that is being decimated. The game started with 8 players. There should be no more than 8 on the final roster. By not counting losses, you invite griefers who will purposefully lose the match. Occasionally, losing a player helps a team. I was playing a match earlier today, where my team had 4 and the other had 3, one team member went 2/16 (I don’t blame him, he was the lowest ranked guy in the match and was actually trying game stats) but if he were to quit, we would have had a stronger chance of winning. I don’t encourage quitting, the only way people will get better is by playing the game, but if someone is doing poorly and quits, don’t replace them with someone who may be just as bad. That works in social, but not ranked. That being said, I don’t think anyone should quit more than twice in a day, and be able to play for a few hours.
> >
> >
> > Rarely (it does happen though) do I get games where having 3 actually helps over having 4 but most of the time the superior numbers count. Further, half the time when there are 3 players left, another one will just quit and then it’s 2 v 4. Also, why do you think there will definitely be people who will want to purposely lose the match? I haven’t encountered any in my games (I just assume that they are just bad or really outmatched).
> > Anyway, if there is no JIP, there ought to be heavier quit penalties.
>
>
> If the loss wont count against them, in theory, they wont play as hard. If they dont have anything on the line they’ll just -Yoink- around until the end of the game. You will get some people that will try to help out towards the win, but i can see the majority just screwing around until the end of the game.
> I am not a fan of JIP, I feel if you started the match, you should finish it, period. The only way to make sure everyone will finish the game is harsh time penalties for quitting, if they continue to quit, permanently de-rank them. They would not be able to join ranked matches anymore and would only be able to play with other people in the same situation. This would allow those people to play how they want, with who they want, and not bother the people that are really trying to play the game. This would really make people think before they quit because now you will lose out on 95% of the playlists and will never be allowed back…and its THEIR fault…Tie the ban to the console and not the gamertag and it will really send a message out to people.

They could add JIP in progress, with the caveat that if you join a game you lose less CSR than the rest of the team (and the person who left gets hit with the amount your’s has been reduced by).

However, all of this should only be done if and when they fix the servers so that European players aren’t penalised. In my opinion, I’m in my right to leave those games.

That and fix the uneven matchmaking (which with the JIP might it easier for Golds to play Golds, Platinum to play Platinum, etc).

I’m not a fan of harsher penalties until they fix the servers and the match making.

> 2533274825101441;14:
> Overgrowth is by far the worst map for quitters. I have yet to play a full match with both teams being full.
> As a side note. This game DESPERATELY NEEDS MORE MAPS across all gametypes.

This map does suck. Totally the wrong power weapons for such a narrow map.

This map is usually a 50-30 for one team or the other. (Whoever keeps getting the Sword and Shotgun, and heaven help you if they also have the Camo).

> 2533274839690428;13:
> > 2533274796069271;1:
> > If 343 isn’t going to allow JIP, at least have a temporary matchmaking ban for those players who quit early. I think less than half my arena games have complete teams on both sides at the end of the match and it really is getting annoying.
> >
> > For those who quit the first time on any given day (yes, first time - too many players have quit in the games I play and it is as annoying as heck), impose a 3 minute matchmaking ban with bans getting more serious the more the quitting. If he quits too often in a day, impose an x3 CSR penalty or something.
> >
> > Alternatively, allow JIP - to facilitate this, the new joining player will not record a loss on his service record if his team loses but will record a win if his team wins.
> >
> > Quite simple isn’t it?
>
>
> I agree, a short ban for any quitting or going afk is appropriate. There are legitimate reasons for quitting or going afk, someone at the door, baby crying, spilled coffee on yourself, ect. All of those things take more than a few minutes to resolve, so people dealing with issues like that would generally not even notice the banhammer. People quitting because they don’t like the game type, don’t want to lose ect, would notice though, when they couldn’t just jump into another game. I also think quitting should always count as a loss on your service record or result in being docked Req/XP points or something.
>
> That said, in order for this to work, 343 would need to come up with ways to decrease disconnects or at the very least ensure that they register differently than quitting the game. People who have a disconnect shouldn’t receive any ban. The problem is then that people who want to quit could just unplug their modem to avoid the ban.
>
> I’m in favor of short bans and Req/XP losses for any quitting, with a system in place to better differentiate between quitting and disconnects.

I empathize with you. I have a 3yr old a 2yr old and a 5mo old. I have loved halo since the begging and really like 5. But there are times when life comes into play. I was hit with a 57min ban. That sucked. I really am trying to not quit. I used to quit a lot because I was doing so poorly that I was hurting our team. I just thought I was doing them a favor by not being there. The worst is when you do stick it out then get ripped by your randoms pretty explicitly and blamed for the loss. (Discouraging) Now I’ll be in the middle of a match and one of the kids wake up and I have to put them back in bed or something. But what can you do? Hopefully not get hit with a permanent ban :-/

Still love the game.

It’s unfortunate to see how often people are quitting, but I don’t think harsher penalties will help. imo the only real solution is to play with a party of 3-4 as much as you can. Right now a lot of people just got the game, so that probably led to a sharp increase in quitting. Hopefully it will get back to normal in the next few days.