There is no incentive to win in Halo: Reach

I was playing Objective gametypes today and it amazed me how many people ignored the objective and simply went out for kills. I then realized that this is fitting for Reach because without an incentive to win, why bother risking going negative one game for the sake of capturing a flag.

The only incentive Reach offers is that you get maybe 100-200 more credits for winning, which is almost negligible to the prices of items in the armory. And besides, you get plenty of credits if you are on the losing team too, so winning is not of vital importance.

While Halo 3’s ranking system had some flaws (boosting, level-locking, etc.) it provided a great long-term incentive to keep players not only wanting to win, but also wanting to play. I believe this is a large factor as to why Halo 3 kept a strong and consistent population for three years. The incentive to win in Halo 3 also brought with it communication. People realized that great communication led to more victories and also led to bonds that only an intense game of Halo could create. This communication factor is absent in Reach.

343, for Halo 4 please give the player incentive to win.

What do you think?

in halo 3 the incentive was XP and ranking up, because it meant you acomplished something.

REACH rank means nothing so no incentive to win :frowning:

I agree completely

I agree but it sucks when you get nothing for losing i think you should get something whether you win or lose but get a LOT more when you win.

> I agree but it sucks when you get nothing for losing i think you should get something whether you win or lose but get a LOT more when you win.

I disagree. If you get anything for losing, it reduces the incentive to win. No rewards for an outright loss.

Massive rewards for games where the objective is capped quickly (i.e., 3-0 flag match that lasts 1:30 would garner more credits than a 3-2 game that went to the end).

Lower credit rewards for kills in Objective gametypes.

Boom. People try to win and they try to win fast.

> I agree but it sucks when you get nothing for losing i think you should get something whether you win or lose but get a LOT more when you win.

" If you’re not first you’re last." -Heinz

The number of wins in your service record is your incentive.

I think you should get at least 1000-2000 extra credits when you win, that’d be an incentive.

You could do so good, and yet the guy who went -10 could get more credits than you. I agree, there is no incentive to win.

You get bonus credits for victory and you also do not get high jackpots when you lose.

KDR -Yoink!- is the culprit for people abusing multi team and team objective.

> The number of wins in your service record is your incentive.

Tell that to all of the randoms who don’t wanna go for the objectives.

OP, I agree completely. Heck, randoms were better in the past Halo games than they are now because if you didn’t win, you lost and you didn’t get anything. The only way to advance was to win. Bungie tried to make everyone a winner, which is a bad philosophy in my opinion; however it is truth when it comes to making a competitive game.

Very well said my friend.

I agree OP. This game gives me no incentive to win. All the past Halo games did and I think it was all due to rank and EXP. I hate the ranking system/ Cr system in this game.

> You get bonus credits for victory and you also do not get high jackpots when you lose.
>
> KDR -Yoink!- is the culprit for people abusing multi team and team objective.

While that may be true, it’s not like the higher the cost of the armor you are wearing translates into how good you are at the game. For example, this would mean that players who have Inclement Weather active would be better than everyone else who do not, and as we all know this is not the case a lot of the times. While getting more bonus credits for winning may be nice, people realize that the amount of credits you have does not translate to skill. If it did, winning would mean a lot more because of the increased winning bonus and jackpot.

> I agree OP. This game gives me no incentive to win. All the past Halo games did and I think it was all due to rank and EXP. I hate the ranking system/ Cr system in this game.

I’m glad to see a lot of people agree with me :slight_smile:

If I don’t see a 1-50 next to my name then I don’t care.

Exactly.

There aren’t even any objective-related medals. I don’t think the current credit-armory system works efficiently enough in Reach. I hope 343 takes the time to get a legitimate progression system into their next game.

> Exactly.
>
> There aren’t even any objective-related medals. I don’t think the current credit-armory system works efficiently enough in Reach. I hope 343 takes the time to get a legitimate progression system into their next game.

Well, there’s still Flag Captured, Flag Dropped, Flag Carrier Killed, Bomb Armed, Bomb Carrier Killed, etc.

I think you mean Commendations.

the thing is, even if you received a cR bonus for winning in Reach I wouldn’t care.

Rank doesn’t matter, I don’t care for armor, and there is no 1-50 ranking system. So all in all I go for kills in slayer, objective, or w/e the gametype is … because it doesn’t matter.

It’s also why I play Halo 3, so much better and good reasons to want to win.

1000 cR bonus for winning a game and staying till the end.

BOOM. incentive.