There is no excuse

Halo 2 Vista needs to be tracked on the Halo Waypoint Career system.

For the longest of time, the argument that the career system focuses on console experiences is now invalid. The addition of Halo: Spartan Assault makes the idea of console exclusivity moot. It seems odd that a core Halo entry ported to the PC is not worthy of being tracked, but a spin-off entry also on the PC is being tracked not once, but twice?

Halo 2 PC’s future looks cloudy, but it still deserves to be tracked on Halo Waypoint, after all it is a Halo game with achievements.

8/25 UPDATE

Almost all who have posted agree that Halo 2 PC should be added to Waypoint Career. There is a visible support to add this game into career. I see no reason why 343i has not done so already.

It has been brought up that Halo 2 PC may not posses enough popularity to be added. I think that is an outrageous reason to keep Halo 2 PC from being tracked. Halo: Spartan Assault is not a popular title either, but it is tracked not once, but twice. (A reason to make it unpopular in my opinion)

Overall discussion on the subject of Halo 2 PC being supported on Halo Waypoint is slow. I expected that, there is so much else going on at the moment such as Spartan Assault and Waypoint problems. Please, post anything relevant to the topic to help keep this thread alive.

I plan to update this thread in the future, so please feel free to post and support.

While I agree with you, I’d imagine that there are factors preventing Halo 2 Vista from being merged with the Waypoint system. Perhaps a jungle of red tape is too daunting to pioneer, maybe no one wants to spend the money to make such programming magic happen or that the PC port of Halo 2 may simply not be popular enough to warrant bothering with.

However I think that, even in the case of the latter, integrating Halo 2 Vista achievements and perhaps even statistics would breathe new life in to the classic title. I’d love to see it happen, and I’d love on top of that for a remastered Halo 2 to hit the shelves.

But, alas… Fate has conspired otherwise. For now, anyways.

> While I agree with you, I’d imagine that there are factors preventing Halo 2 Vista from being merged with the Waypoint system. Perhaps a jungle of red tape is too daunting to pioneer, maybe no one wants to spend the money to make such programming magic happen or that the PC port of Halo 2 may simply not be popular enough to warrant bothering with.
>
> However I think that, even in the case of the latter, integrating Halo 2 Vista achievements and perhaps even statistics would breathe new life in to the classic title. I’d love to see it happen, and I’d love on top of that for a remastered Halo 2 to hit the shelves.
>
> But, alas… Fate has conspired otherwise. For now, anyways.

There would be no programing magic, you would add it just like how you would add any other halo game.

Halo 2 Vista is a Games for Windows game, so Achievements are tied to your Microsoft account just like with Xbox 360 games and Spartan Assault.

> or that the PC port of Halo 2 may simply not be popular enough to warrant bothering with.

I do not think Halo: Spartan Assault is much more popular.

343i has to include Halo 2 Vista, it seems like there is a hole in the Waypoint career. Halo 2 Vista would fit nicely between Halo CEA and Halo 3.

I think OP is absolutely right. Now that Spartan Assault, which is a “non-console only” title is included, Halo 2 Vista should be tracked as well.

Also, the achievements for Halo 2 Vista are already tracked on XBOX Live - just look in your achievement list, if you have some of them - so I do not think that there are “technical reasons” preventing Halo 2 Vista from being included into the Waypoint career.

On the other hand, I still believe in a Spartan Assault release for XBOX ONE, if not for XBOX 360 as well, after the (already small) positive effects of PC/tablet/phone exclusiveness have worn off for Microsoft.

So they still could argue that SA os a “console” game in some sense, while Halo 2 Vista is not.

I don’t share that view, it is just what they could say, to defend a further exclusion of Halo 2 Vista from Waypoint.

Even if they were to release an xbox version they are still tracking the pc and phone ones anyway…

That is right, still they could argue that SA is a Halo game with achievements on console as well as on PC/tablet and phone, so that all achievement sets of this game are included into Waypoint, while Halo 2 Vista does not have a console counterpart with achievements.

So the “achievement-console link” can be established with SA, if a console version is released, while Halo 2 Vista has no such link yet.

Very far fetched, but the only to some extent logical explanation they could give us for not including Halo 2 Vista in the Waypoint career, at least the only one I can think of.

Personally I think they should just include it, maybe as a “side list” of achievements.

> Personally I think they should just include it, maybe as a “side list” of achievements.

I had a similar idea, but because Spartan Assault is not tracked as a “side list” that kinda shoots the idea down.

Adding Halo 2 Vista to Waypoint Career would increase the amount of levels and maybe add more content. 343i could create more Section 3 unlocks attached to Halo 2 Vista achievements. I think that would be a creative way to help revitalize the game.

Updated OP.

Achievements would be the easiest (and perhaps the only possible one) to implement.

I’d love it too, but at this point it’s not going to happen. The game is 6 years old and Games for Windows Live is going down permanently in 10 months - you have to be signed into GFWL to unlock any achievements. They’re not going to setup scanners, extra levels, and new content for a game that most people bought and finished a half-decade ago and that will more or less die permanently in less than a year. :\

> I’d love it too, but at this point it’s not going to happen. The game is 6 years old and Games for Windows Live is going down permanently in 10 months - you have to be signed into GFWL to unlock any achievements. They’re not going to setup scanners, extra levels, and new content for a game that most people bought and finished a half-decade ago and that will more or less die permanently in less than a year. :\

At this point it is a little vague of what happens to GFWL.

I am aware that GFWL will be shutting down in 2014, but Microsoft has been quite tight lipped on the situation. After all we discovered that GFWL will shut down through a leak on xbox.com which was quickly removed. At this point we do not know the specifics of what will happen. 343i did state back in July or June they are looking into ways to extend the server life of Halo 2 PC.