There are Other Ways to Innovate

To all the people who say that those complaining about the progressive unlock system shows that they are unwilling to accept change: there are plenty of other ways to innovate without changing the Halo formula. The part we don’t like about a gameplay altering progresssive unlock system is that it completely usurps the basis of Halo multiplayer- <mark>where players start off on equal footing and win through map control and teamwork.</mark> Do you really want the deciding factor in who wins to be who has the most weapon or armor unlocks? That detracts from the fun for both competitive and new players.

And don’t give me the excuse that Halo is composed of vastly different playstyles so they can change whatever they want as that is faulty logic- <mark>that would imply that there is no distinct style in Halo multiplayer, which clearly, there is.</mark>. Here’s a couple of ways how innovation can be done in a way that doesn’t negatively impact what makes Halo distinct:

1. Expanding Firefight- Firefight can be changed in drastic ways as long as it maintains its style since it didnt exist until Halo 3:ODST. Also, it is entirely seperate from campaign and multiplayer, which in contrast, have been in the game for much longer

2. Space combat in singleplayer game modes- expanding the scale of Halo to new environments is intrinsically linked to the feeling of an epic struggle in Halo.

3. New Enemies- most of the games in the series have had new enemies included in them. And this only enhances the feeling of mystery of the game as well.

4. New sprint mechanism which enables classic gameplay to be integrated into new gameplay mechanics without polarizing the community into different playlists. Having sprint being affected by damage taken would simultaneously fix various problems related to sprint such as melee charging and running away from enemies while encouraging players to put shots on the enemy, and so, make it more arena-styled

5. Making distinct vehicles with new physics or suited for different environments would increase the scale of vehicle combat in multiplayer

6. Having weapon customization as pickups would allow for refreshing gameplay but still stay true to Halo’s balanced spawning system

343 needs to realize that the ability to make endless changes without regard to whether they fit within the context of Halo can not be considered a part of what makes Halo unique. That defies all logic.

Slow Clap

I wouldn’t say it defies all logic, just your opinion. I’ll reserve my judgement about the progression system once I have more information about it*

*once I have any information on it.

> To all the people who say that those complaining about the progressive unlock system shows that they are unwilling to accept change: there are plenty of other ways to innovate without changing the Halo formula. The part we don’t like about a gameplay altering progresssive unlock system is that it completely usurps the basis of Halo multiplayer- <mark>where players start off on equal footing and win through map control and teamwork.</mark> Do you really want the deciding factor in who wins to be who has the most weapon or armor unlocks? That detracts from the fun for both competitive and new players.
>
> And don’t give me the excuse that Halo is composed of vastly different playstyles so they can change whatever they want as that is faulty logic- <mark>that would imply that there is no distinct style in Halo multiplayer, which clearly, there is.</mark>. Here’s a couple of ways how innovation can be done in a way that doesn’t negatively impact what makes Halo distinct:
>
> 1. Expanding Firefight- Firefight can be changed in drastic ways as long as it maintains its style since it didnt exist until Halo 3:ODST. Also, it is entirely seperate from campaign and multiplayer, which in contrast, have been in the game for much longer
>
> 2. Space combat in singleplayer game modes- expanding the scale of Halo to new environments is intrinsically linked to the feeling of an epic struggle in Halo.
>
> 3. New Enemies- most of the games in the series have had new enemies included in them. And this only enhances the feeling of mystery of the game as well.
>
> 4. New sprint mechanism which enables classic gameplay to be integrated into new gameplay mechanics without polarizing the community into different playlists. Having sprint being affected by damage taken would simultaneously fix various problems related to sprint such as melee charging and running away from enemies while encouraging players to put shots on the enemy, and so, make it more arena-styled
>
> 5. Making distinct vehicles with new physics or suited for different environments would increase the scale of vehicle combat in multiplayer

This is exactly what I’ve been preaching and I wish more people understood. This concept right here is exactly what makes Halo, Halo. Every player needs to be 100% equal so that the game is completely balanced and all that matters is individual skill. 343 can accomplish this goal without introducing Loadouts/perks to make the game feel like it has new features.

> I wouldn’t say it defies all logic, just your opinion. I’ll reserve my judgement about the progression system once I have more information about it*
>
>
>
> *once I have any information on it.

I can’t blame anyone for complaining. If it’s what we’re all thinking, then I think it’s completely fair for us to not accept it. It doesn’t belong in Halo’s balanced gameplay.

> > This is exactly what I’ve been preaching and I wish more people understood. This concept right here is exactly what makes Halo, Halo. Every player needs to be 100% equal so that the game is completely balanced and all that matters is individual skill. 343 can accomplish this goal without introducing Loadouts/perks to make the game feel like it has new features.
>
> Thats why new features have to be considered in the context of Halo. In the long term, the appeal of these new features won’t benefit 343, because it will alienate fans from the franchise

I agree. Adding perks will definitely make the game much more unbalanced and CoD-esque

> > I wouldn’t say it defies all logic, just your opinion. I’ll reserve my judgement about the progression system once I have more information about it*
> >
> >
> >
> > *once I have any information on it.
>
> I can’t blame anyone for complaining. If it’s what we’re all thinking, then I think it’s completely fair for us to not accept it. It doesn’t belong in Halo’s balanced gameplay.

Oh, that’s fine. I was just pointing out that logic and opinion are very different things, and often, people confuse their opinion with the “right” thing, or the “logical” choice, which isn’t always the case.

My personal preference? Depending on the implementation, a progression system could work very well within Halo’s flavour of multiplayer fragging. Frankie has already said you won’t be unlocking power weapons, etc. as part of it, so that bodes well.

The whole idea of customizable loadouts is still unbalanced at a basic level. And it could be a problem that worsens with time as the amount of unlocks increases.

They should’ve tried weapon customization as pickups. It wouldn’t have been that hard to do and the result would have been much more fitting to the Halo formula and at the same time, still be refreshing for gameplay.