Theory to Precursor Origin

So I had this theory that’s been on my mind for a while now, what if the Primordial was (namesake) the 1st being to exist in the Halo Universe and the Precursors were just his spawns that became self-aware, evolved and eventually imprisoned him as a way to sever his connection from them, since the Primordial gave off spores, it makes sense somewhat. And what if the time the Precursors went into stasis by turning their bodies into a powdery material, they basically just devolved back into their initial form? It would perfectly explain the Precursor’s and Flood’s origin and it would explain how the Primordial was connected to them despite not being around when they were Precursors. It will also answer the question of how the Primordial was found in capsule with no one to take responsibility of who imprisoned it.

Wasn’t Primordial Precusor?

This is interesting. I find the Precursors to be the most fascinating piece of Halo lore. Greg Bear did an amazing job at making us understand how incredibly powerful they were, without letting us know exactly what or who they were.

The exact nature of the Primordial is unclear, but he is, for all intent and purposes, the last living Precursor. He was probably imprisonned by early Forerunners at the end of the genocide the Forerunners committed against the Precursors, or may have put himself in stasis.

Forthencho does note that it was probably made up of several creatures, but that does not contradict his being a Precursor. The thing is, Precursors had no true form (according to Silentium), living in whatever shape they desired. They also appeared not to be subjected to the individual/collective dichotomy; they all existed as once and several at the same time. All of these are concepts we can barely grasp.

I don’t know if it makes a lot of sense. I like to think of them as we think of God: impossible to define. God’s only certain attributes is his being at the origin of everything and, for the lack of a better explanation, being God. The same goes for the Precursors; they were around before the universe even existed (remember, our universe is currently theorized to be approximately 13.7 billion years old, yet the Gravemind says the Domain contains 500 billion years of knowledge), and are apparently responsible for pretty much everything in this universe. The impossible nature of the Precurors prevents us from defining them in any other way than “Precursors”.

So in that way, you’re not wrong when you say it’s the first being in the universe - just the way all Precursors were. His incarnation (as in: bodily form) as seen in Primordium might have not been around then, but if there was only one Precursor, then his “conciousness” was already there. I don’t believe he was responsible for spawning the other Precursors, as that would make him above other Precursors - and thus make him an individual, when it is established that the Precursors were neither individuals nor a collective.

My point is: to me, the Primordial is no different from any other Precursor, because they are shapeless, transentient, and above any understanding. The only reason he is called “the Primordial” is not because he is special in any way; it is because both the Humans and Forerunners who knew of him were incapable of grasping his nature, and thus thought of him as an individual. He himself never gave himself any title, only claiming to be “the last Precursor” - and even that is ambiguous.

I was under the impression that the Primordial was a Precursor but became the first Flood, a sort of Gravemind. But this is an interesting theory, and I may have gotten some of my own memories of reading the Forerunner trilogy mixed up.

> 2533274946753626;3:
> This is interesting. I find the Precursors to be the most fascinating piece of Halo lore. Greg Bear did an amazing job at making us understand how incredibly powerful they were, without letting us know exactly what or who they were.
>
> The exact nature of the Primordial is unclear, but he is, for all intent and purposes, the last living Precursor. He was probably imprisonned by early Forerunners at the end of the genocide the Forerunners committed against the Precursors, or may have put himself in stasis.
>
> Forthencho does note that it was probably made up of several creatures, but that does not contradict his being a Precursor. The thing is, Precursors had no true form (according to Silentium), living in whatever shape they desired. They also appeared not to be subjected to the individual/collective dichotomy; they all existed as once and several at the same time. All of these are concepts we can barely grasp.
>
> I don’t know if it makes a lot of sense. I like to think of them as we think of God: impossible to define. God’s only certain attributes is his being at the origin of everything and, for the lack of a better explanation, being God. The same goes for the Precursors; they were around before the universe even existed (remember, our universe is currently theorized to be approximately 13.7 billion years old, yet the Gravemind says the Domain contains 500 billion years of knowledge), and are apparently responsible for pretty much everything in this universe. The impossible nature of the Precurors prevents us from defining them in any other way than “Precursors”.
>
> So in that way, you’re not wrong when you say it’s the first being in the universe - just the way all Precursors were. His incarnation (as in: bodily form) as seen in Primordium might have not been around then, but if there was only one Precursor, then his “conciousness” was already there. I don’t believe he was responsible for spawning the other Precursors, as that would make him above other Precursors - and thus make him an individual, when it is established that the Precursors were neither individuals nor a collective.
>
> My point is: to me, the Primordial is no different from any other Precursor, because they are shapeless, transentient, and above any understanding. The only reason he is called “the Primordial” is not because he is special in any way; it is because both the Humans and Forerunners who knew of him were incapable of grasping his nature, and thus thought of him as an individual. He himself never gave himself any title, only claiming to be “the last Precursor” - and even that is ambiguous.

The way I tend to look at it is this: The reason the precursors were so advanced is because they had the time before our universe and the time during it to learn and study they have inherent knowledge of the universe from the outside a vantage point no other race can claim and such an advantage led to their ability to know it much more in depth then the races created inside of it could or can.

i also ten to think of the precursors as a human/Matrix type deal their physical forms exist outside of our known universe but theyI like how they are able to send themselves inside and create bodies for themselves hence why death has no true meaning as we don’t actually kill the “driver” of the vessel we just destroy their means of transport.

I like how we have been given so many glimpses of them and their technology yet their overall mystery isn’t diminished.

also I believe the Domain was quoted as containing 100 billion years of precursor knowledge.

> 2533274887950450;4:
> I was under the impression that the Primordial was a Precursor but became the first Flood, a sort of Gravemind. But this is an interesting theory, and I may have gotten some of my own memories of reading the Forerunner trilogy mixed up.

The Primordial WAS the VERY FIRST Gravemind.

> 2535445800682170;6:
> > 2533274887950450;4:
> > I was under the impression that the Primordial was a Precursor but became the first Flood, a sort of Gravemind. But this is an interesting theory, and I may have gotten some of my own memories of reading the Forerunner trilogy mixed up.
>
>
> The Primordial WAS the VERY FIRST Gravemind.

Unless you have a source that states this I’m inclined to disagree. The Forerunners were fighting the flood on an almost galactic and very organised scale a fair while before the ISO didact came across the Primordal which suggests a gravemind due to their necessity for the Flood to reach the Organised stage.

also doesn’t Rider and Co find a Gravemind or at least the rememneats of one in some ruins on a Halo ring before the ISO didact put the primordial into a reverse stasis bubble.

> 2533274836969644;7:
> > 2535445800682170;6:
> > > 2533274887950450;4:
> > > I was under the impression that the Primordial was a Precursor but became the first Flood, a sort of Gravemind. But this is an interesting theory, and I may have gotten some of my own memories of reading the Forerunner trilogy mixed up.
> >
> >
> > The Primordial WAS the VERY FIRST Gravemind.
>
>
> Unless you have a source that states this I’m inclined to disagree. The Forerunners were fighting the flood on an almost galactic and very organised scale a fair while before the ISO didact came across the Primordal which suggests a gravemind due to their necessity for the Flood to reach the Organised stage.
>
> also doesn’t Rider and Co find a Gravemind or at least the rememneats of one in some ruins on a Halo ring before the ISO didact put the primordial into a reverse stasis bubble.

Primordium hints at it being a Gravemind. Forthencho’s essence notes that his body seems to be made of several bodies from different creatures, and it also has the ability to shift shape and discard limbs, like a Gravemind. There is no concrete evidence I’m afraid, but it seems to be, as Halopedia puts it, “an early form of Gravemind”.

I guess it all depends on your definition of Gravemind. If you simply choose to believe a Gravemind is whatever entity controls the Flood, the Primordial fits the definition. Since it predates the Flood’s war against the Forerunners, and may also predate its war against Humanity, that would make it the first Gravemind.

If you add a constraint by define a Gravemind as being made from living beings turn into Flood biomass, he may or may not fit the definition, as the nature of his body is only guessed at by the characters and never actually stated.

> 2533274946753626;8:
> > 2533274836969644;7:
> > > 2535445800682170;6:
> > > > 2533274887950450;4:
> > > > I was under the impression that the Primordial was a Precursor but became the first Flood, a sort of Gravemind. But this is an interesting theory, and I may have gotten some of my own memories of reading the Forerunner trilogy mixed up.
> > >
> > >
> > > The Primordial WAS the VERY FIRST Gravemind.
> >
> >
> > Unless you have a source that states this I’m inclined to disagree. The Forerunners were fighting the flood on an almost galactic and very organised scale a fair while before the ISO didact came across the Primordal which suggests a gravemind due to their necessity for the Flood to reach the Organised stage.
> >
> > also doesn’t Rider and Co find a Gravemind or at least the rememneats of one in some ruins on a Halo ring before the ISO didact put the primordial into a reverse stasis bubble.
>
>
> Primordium hints at it being a Gravemind. Forthencho’s essence notes that his body seems to be made of several bodies from different creatures, and it also has the ability to shift shape and discard limbs, like a Gravemind. There is no concrete evidence I’m afraid, but it seems to be, as Halopedia puts it, “an early form of Gravemind”.
>
> I guess it all depends on your definition of Gravemind. If you simply choose to believe a Gravemind is whatever entity controls the Flood, the Primordial fits the definition. Since it predates the Flood’s war against the Forerunners, and may also predate its war against Humanity, that would make it the first Gravemind.
>
> If you add a constraint by define a Gravemind as being made from living beings turn into Flood biomass, he may or may not fit the definition, as the nature of his body is only guessed at by the characters and never actually stated.

Thank you. In the book, the Primordial also states, ‘we are the Flood’ just before it’s decomposition.

I always had the idea that the Precursors altogether were God, and the Forerunners who went to war with them were like fallen angels who would further ravage the galaxy (Example: the devolving of Humanity), and for their sins, God sends the Flood. Another idea that relates is the fact that Precursors, like the flood, acted like separate organisms, but ultimately were one in the same. While God acts simultaneously in His creation, He is one being. So to state my theory plainly, the Precursors have no origins, they are simply Infinite.

I think they dont was created

> 2535452785098607;10:
> I always had the idea that the Precursors altogether were God, and the Forerunners who went to war with them were like fallen angels who would further ravage the galaxy (Example: the devolving of Humanity), and for their sins, God sends the Flood. Another idea that relates is the fact that Precursors, like the flood, acted like separate organisms, but ultimately were one in the same. While God acts simultaneously in His creation, He is one being. So to state my theory plainly, the Precursors have no origins, they are simply Infinite.

As far as has been stated so far the Precursors existed before this universe and potentially before the last one and so on all the way back a 100 billion years. But given that it’s never stated that they created the universe itself just that they comprehend it in a way we can’t they must have had a beginning.

wether they were a singular race of beings that managed to become stupidly advanced enough to survive the death of their universe into the birth of the next one who knows. Seeing as they existed before our universe it’s much more than possible that they were entirely alien in their original form .

perhaps they were a collection of species similar to the covenant but none hostile that became advanced enough to change their forms similar to Forerunner mutations.

or maybe it’s a mix.

one thing I love about 343’s current storytelling is we get tidbits on the Precursors without learning enough to have everything set in stone. We know of them but we don’t know what they were, we know they are older then the universe but not wether they came from a universe before this one or if something else existed before at all. So many answers and so many questions.

> 2535452785098607;10:
> I always had the idea that the Precursors altogether were God, and the Forerunners who went to war with them were like fallen angels who would further ravage the galaxy (Example: the devolving of Humanity), and for their sins, God sends the Flood. Another idea that relates is the fact that Precursors, like the flood, acted like separate organisms, but ultimately were one in the same. While God acts simultaneously in His creation, He is one being. So to state my theory plainly, the Precursors have no origins, they are simply Infinite.

The parallels between the Precursors and God are very strong indeed. The galaxy before the Forerunner rebellion is reminescent of the Garden of Eden, with the Forerunners comitting the original sin. The Flood, the Ark and such are clear biblical references. One of my favorite Biblical references is when the Primordial says this:

“All that is created will suffer. All will be born in suffering, endless grayness shall be their lot.”

To me it is very reminescent of the Book of Genesis (3:16), in which God says:

“To the woman He said, ‘I will greatly multiply Your pain in childbirth, In pain you will bring forth children’ […]”.

I’m sure there’s plenty more references to be found.

> 2533274946753626;13:
> > 2535452785098607;10:
> > I always had the idea that the Precursors altogether were God, and the Forerunners who went to war with them were like fallen angels who would further ravage the galaxy (Example: the devolving of Humanity), and for their sins, God sends the Flood. Another idea that relates is the fact that Precursors, like the flood, acted like separate organisms, but ultimately were one in the same. While God acts simultaneously in His creation, He is one being. So to state my theory plainly, the Precursors have no origins, they are simply Infinite.
>
>
> The parallels between the Precursors and God are very strong indeed. The galaxy before the Forerunner rebellion is reminescent of the Garden of Eden, with the Forerunners comitting the original sin. The Flood, the Ark and such are clear biblical references. One of my favorite Biblical references is when the Primordial says this:
>
> “All that is created will suffer. All will be born in suffering, endless grayness shall be their lot.”
>
> To me it is very reminescent of the Book of Genesis (3:16), in which God says:
>
> “To the woman He said, ‘I will greatly multiply Your pain in childbirth, In pain you will bring forth children’ […]”.
>
> I’m sure there’s plenty more references to be found.

There are dude, another great example is the Master Chief’s name, “John 117(1.17)”.

Was reading Halo Mythos not too long ago, the Primordial is apparently just a Precursor modified to survive throughout time…kind of throws my theory out of window but adds a question of how it was destroyed in that stasis capsule thing when the Didact (can’t recall if it’s Ur or ISO incarnation during the time) basically “aged” it to death.

> 2533274887950450;4:
> I was under the impression that the Primordial was a Precursor but became the first Flood, a sort of Gravemind. But this is an interesting theory, and I may have gotten some of my own memories of reading the Forerunner trilogy mixed up.

My impression as well but i could be wrong. I am married after all. ha ha lol

> 2533274870308953;15:
> Was reading Halo Mythos not too long ago, the Primordial is apparently just a Precursor modified to survive throughout time…kind of throws my theory out of window but adds a question of how it was destroyed in that stasis capsule thing when the Didact (can’t recall if it’s Ur or ISO incarnation during the time) basically “aged” it to death.

Many think that it’s consciousness was preserved, however. I don’t have evidence to back it, but I agree so as well. I think that he imprinted into the Domain, and survived that way.

> 2535445800682170;6:
> > 2533274887950450;4:
> > I was under the impression that the Primordial was a Precursor but became the first Flood, a sort of Gravemind. But this is an interesting theory, and I may have gotten some of my own memories of reading the Forerunner trilogy mixed up.
>
>
> The Primordial WAS the VERY FIRST Gravemind.

In addition, he was the catalyst to The Flood.