Theory on the Grunts new appearance.

Before we get started let me clarify. I am in favor of the Grunts new look. I like it better than the old one. This is an attempt to understand why the Grunts appearance has changed.

Now it is a known fact that species(At lest on Earth) evolve over time. It could be a long time or a short time depending on the evolution. As many have pointed out, the Unggoy are classified as being Arthropods by Human standards and as such have an Exoskeleton. I forget who, mentioned that their homeworld, Balaho, which is a swamp planet with a primarily Methane atmosphere, has large cliffs which the Unggoy evolved to be able to climb with ease, but a single fall with an endoskeleton would kill them. Thus they evolved to have an exoskeleton to survive such falls. However, how long has it been since most Unggoy in employ of the Covenant, have even seen their homeworld? Most of them lived on High Charity. Then, after the end of the Human-Covenant War, a portion of the remaining ones went with the Sangheili back to Sangheilios to help as farmers. Now, after all of this time away from the planet that they evolved to be able to survive on, isn’t it possible that they have evolved again to survive elsewhere? On High Charity, they had no need for their exoskeleton. On Sangheilios, they have no need for it, nor for any other planet they’ve been to during their long time as part of the Covenant. With an exoskeleton no longer being needed, is it not possible that over the 5 years since Halo 3, could they not have evolved to have an endoskeleton with the plates on their arms and legs being the only indication that they once had an exoskeleton. Now before anyone goes off on a limb and says that 5 years is too short a time for such an evolution, yes i’m aware of this. It could have been happening over a long period of time, slowly, and unnoticeable. To explain why the changes were never shown in the games, obviously it might not have been something Bungie thought about, or just graphical limitations.

Thanks for your contribution, but we have the bulletin.

I read the bulletin, hence why I added the part stating that the Unggoy are Arthropods by Human Standards. 343 stated this in the bulletin. Alien species cannot be held by our standards. Even though the bulletin clarifies things that one Grunt thread with 35 pages is still going.

Evolution can happen dramatically, but that’s just with the mutation part. I takes longer for the species to go in that direction, Natural Selection.

> Evolution can happen dramatically, but that’s just with the mutation part. I takes longer for the species to go in that direction, Natural Selection.

How long exactly. I don’t have my Halo Encyclopedia near me, but it has been somewhere around 10,000+ plus years since the Covenant employed Grunts have been to their homeworld of Balaho. Would that be enough time? I’m a Science nut, but thats for Astronomy only. Everything else i’m kinda bad at.

343i got caught with their pants down and decided to play the evolution card. Nothing more.

> > Evolution can happen dramatically, but that’s just with the mutation part. I takes longer for the species to go in that direction, Natural Selection.
>
> How long exactly. I don’t have my Halo Encyclopedia near me, but it has been somewhere around <mark>10,000+</mark> plus years since the Covenant employed Grunts have been to their homeworld of Balaho. Would that be enough time? I’m a Science nut, but thats for Astronomy only. Everything else i’m kinda bad at.

That could be enough time, depending on the length of time that separates each generation.
Fruit Flies have very little time between generations, so they change faster.

Guys, there is already a 36 page thread discussing this. Feel free to carry on there :slight_smile:

http://halo.xbox.com/Forums/yaf_postst76173_New-Unggoy-breaks-canon-343-responded-update.aspx

How do we know the grunts are even associated with the Covenant? Could they possibly be in the employ of the new enemy, living in isolation of their Balaho counterparts for millenia?

How do we know the grunts are even associated with the Covenant? Could they possibly be in the employ of the new enemy, living in isolation of their Balaho counterparts for millenia?

Edit: Funneling this discussion into the other thread is silly. A 35 page thread is not particularly conducive to discussion. It is better the forums are left to self-moderate, as threads live and die based upon merit.