Theory of what's going on with Cortana

So, today we got a little bit more campaign stuff for Infinite. The big stuff we got today was a section of a cutscene between Chief and a Cortana-like AI called “the Weapon” talking about Cortana. The Weapon says that Cortana is gone, and has been deleted. She continues, saying, her mission was to imitate Cortana, and lock her down for retrieval, which Chief would then bring her to the Infinity to deletion. The Weapon further says that upon completion of her task, she would be deleted as well, yet she is still around. Chief tells her that something stopped the deactivation from being completed, and they need to find out why. I have a theory as to why this has occurred, the Harbinger. The Harbinger was 1st mentioned last July in Escharum’s speech, “The Harbinger and the Banished share the same goal. We fight together to honor the will of Atriox.” I doubt the Banished could do something too bad to Cortana, as they’re not that advanced. I suspect this Harbinger is behind many things going on. That it or they are working alongside the Banished, pretending to have the same goals of them, but is/are actually manipulating the Banished. Then also I suspect it/they have done something with Cortana where she was not deleted, and thus so neither was the Weapon. 1 definition of the term harbinger is actually a forerunner of something. This leads me to suspect perhaps something Forerunner is involved and there’s something even bigger going on. These are just some thoughts of mine, what do you think? Have a great 1!

They brought a good version back because people wouldn’t shut up about her dying than coming back more Rouge.

Tbh I see this just as hey guys see she’s back! And covered up too like why halo 4 was a bit much you could argue but in the classic games?

> 2533274840469109;1:
> So, today we got a little bit more campaign stuff for Infinite. The big stuff we got today was a section of a cutscene between Chief and a Cortana-like AI called “the Weapon” talking about Cortana. The Weapon says that Cortana is gone, and has been deleted. She continues, saying, her mission was to imitate Cortana, and lock her down for retrieval, which Chief would then bring her to the Infinity to deletion. The Weapon further says that upon completion of her task, she would be deleted as well, yet she is still around. Chief tells her that something stopped the deactivation from being completed, and they need to find out why. I have a theory as to why this has occurred, the Harbinger. The Harbinger was 1st mentioned last July in Escharum’s speech, “The Harbinger and the Banished share the same goal. We fight together to honor the will of Atriox.” I doubt the Banished could do something too bad to Cortana, as they’re not that advanced. I suspect this Harbinger is behind many things going on. That it or they are working alongside the Banished, pretending to have the same goals of them, but is/are actually manipulating the Banished. Then also I suspect it/they have done something with Cortana where she was not deleted, and thus so neither was the Weapon. 1 definition of the term harbinger is actually a forerunner of something. This leads me to suspect perhaps something Forerunner is involved and there’s something even bigger going on. These are just some thoughts of mine, what do you think? Have a great 1!

Good theory, there!! Mine’s not nearly as involved as your own. But seeing ALL that death & destruction with NO SURVIVORS UNSC, Banished, or otherwise, except for sweet, innocent, little Cortana 2.0 got me to thinking: What if SHE was behind it ALL?!! …What if it’s a trick to get John to get her aboard the Infinity!!? …Could be wrong, but man, it sure would be a nice trick! After all, she did try playing on his emotions in GUARDIANS by appealing to his humanity the closer he & Blue Team got to stopping her plans for galactic domination_ Just saying!:upside_down_face:

Mendicant Bias: CTL, ALT, Delete !
This is my guess on what happened to Cortana in Infinite.

> 2533274883624877;4:
> Mendicant Bias: CTL, ALT, Delete !
> This is my guess on what happened to Cortana in Infinite.

Could be interesting, though MB is currently no on Zeta Halo.

I feel like that scene was a few hours into the story, and a lot happened prior to lead up to it. Plus I don’t think Cortana’s was just Thanos snapped out of the picture, we’re definitely missing something.

That being said, the tragedy of Jul M’dama is still fresh on my mind…

> 2533274847563380;6:
> I feel like that scene was a few hours into the story, and a lot happened prior to lead up to it. Plus I don’t think Cortana’s just Thanos snapped out of the picture, we’re definitely missing something.
>
> That being said, the tragedy of Jul M’dama is still fresh on my mind…

I think there’s something bigger at play, my hope is the Didact, but I don’t wanna get my hopes too high.

> 2533274840469109;7:
> > 2533274847563380;6:
> > I feel like that scene was a few hours into the story, and a lot happened prior to lead up to it. Plus I don’t think Cortana’s just Thanos snapped out of the picture, we’re definitely missing something.
> >
> > That being said, the tragedy of Jul M’dama is still fresh on my mind…
>
> I think there’s something bigger at play, my hope is the Didact, but I don’t wanna get my hopes too high.

Didact would be amazing, but for some reason they imprisoned him in a comic book a few years ago. (The story in that comic should have been half of Halo 5 IMO)

> 2533274847563380;8:
> > 2533274840469109;7:
> > > 2533274847563380;6:
> > > I feel like that scene was a few hours into the story, and a lot happened prior to lead up to it. Plus I don’t think Cortana’s just Thanos snapped out of the picture, we’re definitely missing something.
> > >
> > > That being said, the tragedy of Jul M’dama is still fresh on my mind…
> >
> > I think there’s something bigger at play, my hope is the Didact, but I don’t wanna get my hopes too high.
>
> Didact would be amazing, but for some reason they imprisoned him in a comic book a few years ago. (The story in that comic should have been half of Halo 5 IMO)

Would really lame how they cut him out of Halo 5. Would be so cool if his return is alluded to and hinted at in this campaign. Could easily explain who he is to new players and satisfy long time fans.

What if it’s “Cortana” posing as “The Weapon”. Consider this the AI look similar and AI are able to transfer the look of their avatar. Perhaps Cortana erased the weapon, uploaded fragment information from her and is now playing a ruse. Cortana has been looking for the infinity for months now, why chase it still when chief can bring her right in…

> 2533274792708587;10:
> What if it’s “Cortana” posing as “The Weapon”. Consider this the AI look similar and AI are able to transfer the look of their avatar. Perhaps Cortana erased the weapon, uploaded fragment information from her and is now playing a ruse. Cortana has been looking for the infinity for months now, why chase it still when chief can bring her right in…

That’d be an interesting twist.

Well I’m guessing that infinite will be the end of Cortana, if not chief.

Maybe Mendicant Bias deleted Cortana?

Let me direct everyone to this GamesRadar article last year after the July reveal. In the article, it says this,

> With resources sparse, Chief will need to utilize everything that he can get his hands on to fight off against the Banished and the larger, looming threat of the mysterious “Harbinger”

I don’t know if GamesRadar got this incorrect (wouldn’t surprise me), but it could also mean that the Banished aren’t actually the true biggest threat in the campaign, that the Harbinger actually is, and the Banished are more of a footnote. Maybe I’m getting my hopes up, but this is interesting.

Just thought I’d throw this in here. From what we’ve seen of her, this “dumb A.I.” version of cortana is really interesting. She seems to have her own characteristics aside from what was just programed of her. When watching the cutscene I noticed that when chief is actively looking at her she is in some sort of parade rest or “ready to listen sir” position. But there’s a part where she breaks out of that position to make some gesture, but when chief turns back around she immediately resumes the parade rest. Maybe the weapon isn’t as much as a "dumb A.I. as 343 wants her to be viewed so far.