Theory about the Yonhet

So if you haven’t heard of the new species that was introduced to the Halo universe, here’s a link that explains their backstory.

What I and many other people noticed (and rather disliked) was that fact that they looked very human, in terms of body design and basic facial features. The only alien race in Halo that looked that similar to humans were the Forerunners, and it’s theorized that they had a common ancestry.

Theory: the Yonhet have a common ancestry with humanity and Forerunners.

Beyond the fact that they share many physical similarities with humans/Forerunners, there’s also this part in Axl’s bio in the link above:

> “fledgling Covenant warlords have begun to turn to the Yonhet more often to take advantage of their natural skill at sniffing out Forerunner relics.”

Natural skill at sniffing out Forerunner relics? Sure, it might just be saying that Yonhet are good at discovering things, but what if they’re specifically good at finding Forerunner relics? How would that be the case? Perhaps the Forerunners did something to the Yonhet prior to Halo’s activation that gave them the ability to find their technology?

I’d prefer this explanation than the Yonhet just coincidentally evolving a very similar appearance to humans, which is quite unlikely. What do you guys think?

Yeah I guess they do look pretty similar huh? I personally feel that at the moment they are a needless race. At least Axl is needless. But who knows, maybe they will have some common ancestry and become interesting?

Interesting…but need to wait to find out more about them.

Interesting idea though, OP.

I think IF we have a common ancestry, including Humans, Forerunners and Yohnet, it will be single celled life forms or sea scorpions (which are hinted to have been seeded on various worlds by Precursors.) I think, however, that the only similarities we have are because we were engineered by the Precursors in such a way. The Precursors came to the conclusion that the “humanoid” form is a good, adaptable form for those that uphold the Mantle. Humans, Forerunners and Yohnet were merely all possible candidates for the Mantle, which is why they all look similarly humanoid.

> Natural skill at sniffing out Forerunner relics? Sure, it might just be saying that Yonhet are good at discovering things, but what if they’re specifically good at finding Forerunner relics? How would that be the case? Perhaps the Forerunners did something to the Yonhet prior to Halo’s activation that gave them the ability to find their technology?
> I’d prefer this explanation than the Yonhet just coincidentally evolving a very similar appearance to humans, which is quite unlikely. What do you guys think?

I’d definitely prefer some explanation as to why the Yonhet look like humans. Perhaps they undergo drastic surgery to more resemble their trading clients–or to aid in smuggling operations? I can definitely see an alien species doing something wacky like that.

As to someone engineering the Yohnet to find Forerunner technology…I like the idea, but if someone did that, it wasn’t the Forerunners. Look at the kind of stuff Forerunners make: Engineers, Monitors, Sentinels, Enforcers, Prometheans. I don’t see a reason they would engineer a species to look like humans, to search for their own artifacts. They’ve already got the Janus Key.

But hey, as long as we’re throwing out ideas, the way the Librarian was going on about our gene variety, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Yonhet were a subspecies of humanity that got dumped on an insignificant planet by the Librarian as another precautionary measure. Who knows?

> 2533274880692195;5:
> >
>
>
>
> As to someone engineering the Yohnet to find Forerunner technology…I like the idea, but if someone did that, it wasn’t the Forerunners. Look at the kind of stuff Forerunners make: Engineers, Monitors, Sentinels, Enforcers, Prometheans. I don’t see a reason they would engineer a species to look like humans, to search for their own artifacts. They’ve already got the Janus Key.

No, no, I didn’t mean to suggest they were engineered to look like humans. Rather, the idea is that Yonhet have a common ancestry with humans, and so just like the Forerunners did some things to humans like adding geas (not sure if that’s how it’s spelt), my idea is that they gave the Yonhet the ability to find their technology.

> 2533274877162049;6:
> No, no, I didn’t mean to suggest they were engineered to look like humans. Rather, the idea is that Yonhet have a common ancestry with humans, and so just like the Forerunners did some things to humans like adding geas (not sure if that’s how it’s spelt), my idea is that they gave the Yonhet the ability to find their technology.

Whoops. I thought both of your theories were linked. As I said, I really like your idea, but I just don’t see the point of the Forerunners doing that. They’ve got the Janus Key to locate every Forerunner artifact in the galaxy [Spartan Ops], so modifying an entire species to do the same thing is a bit pointless.
Now if the Precursors or another advanced alien species [hey, the galaxy is a big place, and there’s more than one of them, right?] were using the Yonhet as spies and/or looters of Forerunner technology, that I could see happening. The Yonhet could have even done it to themselves more recently–after all, if you have no military might and you have this big, threatening war-mongering Covenant armada you keep neighbours with, what do you do?
I’m pretty sure geas [or geis, take your pick, they’re both correct], in Halo are simply a set of genetic instructions or commands, which can be passed down through generations and triggered by a specific set of circumstances or invoked by Forerunners. In short, it’s used for controlling or subjugating individuals or an entire species. Nasty.

> 2533274880692195;7:
> > 2533274877162049;6:
> > No, no, I didn’t mean to suggest they were engineered to look like humans. Rather, the idea is that Yonhet have a common ancestry with humans, and so just like the Forerunners did some things to humans like adding geas (not sure if that’s how it’s spelt), my idea is that they gave the Yonhet the ability to find their technology.
>
>
>
> Whoops. I thought both of your theories were linked. As I said, I really like your idea, but I just don’t see the point of the Forerunners doing that. They’ve got the Janus Key to locate every Forerunner artifact in the galaxy [Spartan Ops], so modifying an entire species to do the same thing is a bit pointless.
> Now if the Precursors or another advanced alien species [hey, the galaxy is a big place, and there’s more than one of them, right?] were using the Yonhet as spies and/or looters of Forerunner technology, that I could see happening. The Yonhet could have even done it to themselves more recently–after all, if you have no military might and you have this big, threatening war-mongering Covenant armada you keep neighbours with, what do you do?
> I’m pretty sure geas [or geis, take your pick, they’re both correct], in Halo are simply a set of genetic instructions or commands, which can be passed down through generations and triggered by a specific set of circumstances or invoked by Forerunners. In short, it’s used for controlling or subjugating individuals or an entire species. Nasty.

True, though I’m trying to find an explanation for why they’re humanoid, like Forerunners and humans, and perhaps link that to their ability to ‘find Forerunner relics’.

343i could’ve done their introduction into the universe a lot better. It’s just unnatural for the humans to act like Axl’s part of some common run of the mill Covenant species. The existence of the Yohnet is fairly new information to them as well and after only seeing very alien-looking species they suddenly have something closely resembling humans in front of them. That should bring their fricking world around and make them wonder if they possibly have the same ancestry as humanity somehow. Hearing Locke say “I’m not interested in you” to Axl kinda didn’t make sense in that regard (even though the statement’s not supposed to have much meaning) unless there’s already an explanation to why they look so similar.

> 2533274880692195;5:
> I’d definitely prefer some explanation as to why the Yonhet look like humans. Perhaps they undergo drastic surgery to more resemble their trading clients–or to aid in smuggling operations? I can definitely see an alien species doing something wacky like that.

I really like this theory. Anything so 343i can dodge a bullet and make it so the species isn’t naturally that humanoid. Otherwise it’ll just bring the universe upside down and make this dumb so far half–Yoinked!- race way more important/noticeable than it should be. Would give them about the same level of depth and interest that the other ones have and make it all fit very neatly. I just hope 343i realizes this error in believability they’ve set loose in the Halo universe and correct it sooner rather than later.

> 2533274818518143;9:
> I just hope 343i realizes this error in believability they’ve set loose in the Halo universe and correct it sooner rather than later.

Me too.

I do feel like the Yonhet were conceived because they needed a cheep alien… I do not like their humanoid appearance as well.

So far, Nightfall has been a disappointment. Lekgolo on steroids as a primary antagonist. Boring protagonist in Locke. The introduction of a star-trek style humanoid character? Cost-cutting by using live action instead of CGI development is my guess. Ugh, Jury is still out since the show is only 2/5 complete, but for now, this is disappointing.

> 2533274809255188;12:
> Lekgolo on steroids

Heh heh, best way to describe them.

Yonhet exist because humans with latex masks don’t eat into your budget like CGI does. From a storytelling perspective, they’re utterly pointless, adding nothing of any value.

I suppose that’s quite fitting for Nightfall.

From the link provided in the original post about Axl’s backstory there is an entry about the Covenant Fringe. If there is a lot of other minor species by chance one of them would be similar to human. Of course they would choose this one to avoid CGI :wink:

From the link
The Yonhet are considered part the “Covenant fringe”, a collection of species scattered throughout the Orion Arm that both provide various strategic and infrastructure-related advantages as well as posing no real military threat to Covenant empire. With the war focus shifting, and attentions turned back towards human expansion and rebuilding efforts, ONI and the UNSC are just beginning to gather the first bits of intelligence on the exact nature and size of the Fringe.

> 2535453136521472;15:
> If there is a lot of other minor species by chance one of them would be similar to human.

The chances of an alien species evolving into a shape that similar to us is highly unlikely, unless we were talking millions of species. The Covenant Fringe is unlikely to be anymore than a few dozen species.