Theories regarding the covies in Halo 4

I have been considering all that has come from 343 about the covenant and I have come up with several theories that might help to explain several things in halo 4.

(1)Why are we fighting the covies?

Theory: There are two possible reasons why we are fighting the covenant and to whom they belong. The first, and what I would consider is the most likely explanation, is that these covenant are apart of the sangheili civil war. We saw the beginning of this in Halo Glasslands with the Servants of Abiding Truth. The second is that the all the sangheili have turned against humanity. They found out that the humans helped to instigate the civil war and thus see it as an indirect attack on them and start the war back up.

(2)The new covenant weaponry and their ships.

Theory: Most of the new covenant weapons appear to be sangheili made. This leads me to beleive that the sangheili rebels have managed to get huragok to create or help create weapons for them. Since all weapons are sangheili made, this lead me to beleive that one of the weapons that we will most likely see returning is the Concussion rifle(considering the similarities of it has to the design of the storm rifle). As far as this new covenanat fleet, the sangheili rebels had to get huragok to repair their ships, since they had no knowledge of how to repair them themselves.

these are just theories based on what little info we have. If anyone else has other ideas please post them and discuss.

I always figured they were just a rouge band of Covenant who were not at Delta Halo when the Great Schism began, and thus were not broken up.

That, or events that happen during Karen Traviss’ The Thursday War that we don’t know about. I think this is the most likely considering the 3-4 year gap between Glasslands and H4. This also has me wondering what the Infinity has been up to as well.

> This also has me wondering what the Infinity has been up to as well.

I wonder if any of the characters from Glasslands are on the Infinity. I hope so, but I don’t know if 343 would connect game and book canon like that

> > This also has me wondering what the Infinity has been up to as well.
>
> I wonder if any of the characters from Glasslands are on the Infinity. I hope so, but I don’t know if 343 would connect game and book canon like that

They already have - 343 want to piece together all the canon, regardless if its book, novel, and put it into one big universe. Why would Infinity be on Halo 4? What was the purpose of the Forerunner Saga? It all ties in with Halo 4 - 343 is connecting everything together.

> > This also has me wondering what the Infinity has been up to as well.
>
> I wonder if any of the characters from Glasslands are on the Infinity. I hope so, but I don’t know if 343 would connect game and book canon like that

I can guess most of those that were trapped in Onyx will be on the infinity. The Spartan IVs belong to Halsey, Parangosky, and Mendez, so at least 1 of the three is there to monitor these new Spartans and their statistics. Mendez is my best guess, along with a veteran S-II or III. I can only hope we get to see Kelly (or who knows, maybe even Kurt)

Some of the ‘Covenant’ still believe in the promise of a ‘Great Journey’. Others just don’t like humans. Maybe both. That’s pretty much why we fight them in Halo 4; beside the fact that they are on Requiem looking for a ‘god’ of theirs.

There are two sides two the Elites. One loyal to Arbiter who is with the humans. The other side is still like the original Covenant.

Not all Elites were happy with the idea of an alliance between their species and humanity. This created a civil war, which split the Elites into multiple factions. The ones we’re fighting in Halo 4 are most likely one of those factions who are against the Arbiter, or perhaps a pirate/rogue group.

> Not all Elites were happy with the idea of an alliance between their species and humanity. This created a civil war, which split the Elites into multiple factions. The ones we’re fighting in Halo 4 are most likely one of those factions who are against the Arbiter, or perhaps a <mark>pirate</mark>/rogue group.

Sangheili aren’t pirates, it goes against their honour. The kig yar are pirates and scavengers, sangheili despise them.

Let’s not forget, the disbanded covenant have every reason to hate humans. We slaughtered them in their thousands. Why the covenant are on requiem is unknown but naturally humans are their enemy, just because the war is over, doesn’t mean everyone feels neutral again.

https://forums.halo.xbox.com/yaf_postst92815_Theory-on-hostile-Elites-and-other-species.aspx
Already been posted, but almost everything in the thread is basically accurate, nice post.

maybe this Covenant force doesnt know that the War is already over,during Glasslands alot of characters said that the comms were down, even Telcam had said it.

(We dont know that,and neither does the Arbiter-or Hood.
Communications are what the humans call patchy.
The Humans have lost many of thier communications Relays,Too,so both sides flounder in the dark and eavesdrop where they can.There are worlds out there where the battles may still be raging. We may not know for years.)