Theater: The Bungie Dilemma

I’m big with films, clips, and screenshots. It’s been a third of the pleasure I get from this game and I’ve enjoyed Halo 3 by occassionaly glancing at the good times I had with friends in the best days of the game.

But we know nothing of 343’s plans with Theater. Bungie had to make a decission with a looming deadline and strained resources to improve it in one of two ways (not both).

1. Smooth out the bumps people had with group watching films and clips.
  2. Allow film clips of campaign and other modes (FireFight).

Their choice was the better and Theater came out with one of two wishes. But will 343 make Halo 4 with one, two, or none of these options? It kind of worries me as the content sharing this community does expands the game in ways the creators couldn’t imagine (Grifball, Blame Stosh, bs angel’s screenshot pics, etc.).

Good point.
I myself don’t care much about Theater, but would hate ti see it go.
I hope they do it justice.

Off topic:
I’m off to bed, it’s 2:30.
Good night guys.

I wish they would just take the theater back to how it was in Halo 3, so you could watch film clips with friends.

Well that was the problem initialy. Watching film clips with friends became an almost impossible venture. I remember sitting in a loading screen for 3 minutes before it either started or failed. And it failed a lot. Some people apparently had no problem but I for one experienced it every time. It was enough of an issue that Bungie raised it when discussing Theater in Reach.

> I wish they would just take the theater back to how it was in Halo 3, so you could watch film clips with friends.

And the screen shots were much better in H3 as well .

Don’t let us down 343i

> > I wish they would just take the theater back to how it was in Halo 3, so you could watch film clips with friends.
>
> And the screen shots were much better in H3 as well .
>
>
> Don’t let us down 343i

How were the screenshots better in Halo 3? They look the same to me.

One thing I hope for is the ability to view any players view in first person perspective, It’s always bugged me when I want to see what another player has done but I can only see it from third person.

> > > I wish they would just take the theater back to how it was in Halo 3, so you could watch film clips with friends.
> >
> > And the screen shots were much better in H3 as well .
> >
> >
> > Don’t let us down 343i
>
> How were the screenshots better in Halo 3? They look the same to me.

Because instead of a smaller version, Reach loads the full resolution of the screen everytime you select a screenshot in the menu/file sharing, which is utterly annyoing (loading times). The game should ask you if you want to see it full screen or not.

> > > > I wish they would just take the theater back to how it was in Halo 3, so you could watch film clips with friends.
> > >
> > > And the screen shots were much better in H3 as well .
> > >
> > >
> > > Don’t let us down 343i
> >
> > How were the screenshots better in Halo 3? They look the same to me.
>
> Because instead of a smaller version, Reach loads the full resolution of the screen everytime you select a screenshot in the menu/file sharing, which is utterly annyoing (loading times). The game should ask you if you want to see it full screen or not.

• you cant view screen shots in pre game lobby / only post game same with the file share

I’m not really bothered about group watching, hardly used it in Halo 3 myself. What I’d like to see is some sort of instant clip saving so that perhaps with a double tap of the back button the cool thing that just happened gets saved. Snagging clips is such a tedious process at the moment.

Or if that can’t be done, then using the same double tap of the back button to highlight that point in time to easily find it later on in theatre mode and then letting me choose what time in the film to skip to instead of being only capable of fast forwarding like I’m playing a VHS would be nice. That way I could jump into theatre mode, play the film, find the clip, record the clip and be done in a minute or less instead of several minutes.

> Well that was the problem initialy. Watching film clips with friends became an almost impossible venture. I remember sitting in a loading screen for 3 minutes before it either started or failed. And it failed a lot. Some people apparently had no problem but I for one experienced it every time. It was enough of an issue that Bungie raised it when discussing Theater in Reach.

I experienced problems with clips but not with full films, didn’t really matter to me anyway as when you’re in theater with a friend it’s mainly because you can’t be bothered to do anything else.

Though Theater is important, I think hud control (i.e. disabling the shield meter, the crosshair, etc.) should be the next step. Not everyone has a Xbox 360 hard drive. Theater has always required one to be usable. You can’t use a usb drive to compensate, no matter how big the gb is.

Why should I have to go out and buy a 20 GB hard drive just to gain access to a feature? So if this can’t be resolved, I’d like to be able to remove hud elements, something that can be done at any point during a campaign mission.

Add skipping forward without the need to fast forward it to that point first, also would be good to view clips in groups and record campaign and other modes aswell. And to be able to look at other peoples first person view.

Maybe they could add a feature where you could click on a player or NPC and view from their perspective.

I wish you can watch film clips with friends provided they ‘quick download’ it first. This way, Multiplayer, Firefight AND Campaign can be viewed.

I also wish that the camera isn’t “Lagging behind” your controls, as if the data going towards your monitor from the Xbox was suddenly slower. This way, Machinima filming will be much more easier.