The wildlife in Requiem

So do think we might have some problems on requiem in Halo 4 like we saw in Halo reach with the Moas and the guetta just a thought I’m thinking of as we did dee that creature floating about in the E3 demo.

maaaybe… that would be kinda cool

Hopefully. Like the bit with the massive tusked things attacking you and the Grunts in the valley.

In one of the E3 gameplay videos there is some kind of flying squid.

Here’s a bad picture of it. It’s the thing that knocks the leaves down in the demo.

> In one of the E3 gameplay videos there is some kind of flying squid.
>
> Here’s a bad picture of it. It’s the thing that knocks the leaves down in the demo.

Wow I’ve never seen that!

[deleted]

> > In one of the E3 gameplay videos there is some kind of flying squid.
> >
> > Here’s a bad picture of it. It’s the thing that knocks the leaves down in the demo.
>
> Wow I’ve never seen that!

I don’t think a lot of people have. It was only really shown in one video (at least I think so). I’ll have a quick look on youtube for it.

Edit: Here it is!

I hope this time they’re implemented properly. And by that, I mean placed outside of combat.

Moa and Guta were both ridiculous and at their extremes. Moa frequently got in the way (you had to be extremely lucky for a tagged Moa to blow up your enemies instead of you) and Guta were just the equivalent of a massive explosion launching scenery objects at you and flipping your vehicle all over the place. But the most annoying thing about them is that they’re both faster than you, a Spartan III…

I certainly hope so. Because to be honest, I didn’t think Halo: Reach provided a vibrant and interesting wildlife for planet Reach. Moa were just stupid. While I like the idea of non-hostile and even domesticated alien creatures, I think that they were silly in that they weren’t convincing, or interesting and their game mechanics were awful.

I mean, they look almost exactly the same as Earth’s Moa – right down to the name. I have indeed heard of Convergent Evolution and Homoplasy, but the thought of an Ratite-like creature evolving on an alien world doesn’t seem very likely or even particularly interesting. Plus I found them to be nuisance; they were always getting in the way of things.

As for Gúta, while they looked more alien and surprisingly threatening, but they were far to easy to beat. For how infrequently they appeared, you would think that they would be much harder to kill. But besides from the poorly implemented Moa and Gúta, Reach needed more wildlife to give a better impression that this is an alien world. So I hope Halo 4 will feature more interesting and challenging wildlife.

An alien tiger like creature would sound pretty cool. Sneaks up on you then WAM!

It needs more space squirrels.

I would love there to be a wide selection of passive animals that were just along a ridgeline or at the edge of the players view, out of reach, but noticable. For example, deer like creatures on ledges out of the players reach that watched when you pass. Also, they could fit in well with enemies, like the covenant could regard them as pests or the prometheans regard them as local life forms and protect them. Aside my ideas, i think it will be really interesting to see how 343 has developed their ideas.

> I hope this time they’re implemented properly. And by that, I mean placed outside of combat.
>
> Moa and Guta were both ridiculous and at their extremes. Moa frequently got in the way (you had to be extremely lucky for a tagged Moa to blow up your enemies instead of you) and Guta were just the equivalent of a massive explosion launching scenery objects at you and flipping your vehicle all over the place. But the most annoying thing about them is that they’re both faster than you, a Spartan III…

The Guta were basically a mini boss-fight. They were supposed to be strong and fast.

And who the heck tags a Moa instead of just an enemy grunt or something except for the lulz?

> > I hope this time they’re implemented properly. And by that, I mean placed outside of combat.
> >
> > Moa and Guta were both ridiculous and at their extremes. Moa frequently got in the way (you had to be extremely lucky for a tagged Moa to blow up your enemies instead of you) and Guta were just the equivalent of a massive explosion launching scenery objects at you and flipping your vehicle all over the place. But the most annoying thing about them is that they’re both faster than you, a Spartan III…
>
> The Guta were basically a mini boss-fight. They were supposed to be strong and fast.
>
> And who the heck tags a Moa instead of just an enemy grunt or something except for the lulz?

I read somewhere that the Guta were meant to occur in the game more than once, but due to time constraints, they only appear once.

> > > I hope this time they’re implemented properly. And by that, I mean placed outside of combat.
> > >
> > > Moa and Guta were both ridiculous and at their extremes. Moa frequently got in the way (you had to be extremely lucky for a tagged Moa to blow up your enemies instead of you) and Guta were just the equivalent of a massive explosion launching scenery objects at you and flipping your vehicle all over the place. But the most annoying thing about them is that they’re both faster than you, a Spartan III…
> >
> > The Guta were basically a mini boss-fight. They were supposed to be strong and fast.
> >
> > And who the heck tags a Moa instead of just an enemy grunt or something except for the lulz?
>
> I read somewhere that the Guta were meant to occur in the game more than once, but due to time constraints, they only appear once.

Bummer.

Maybe they’ll do that in Halo 4 and we could fight some Forerunner bears or something.

> > > In one of the E3 gameplay videos there is some kind of flying squid.
> > >
> > > Here’s a bad picture of it. It’s the thing that knocks the leaves down in the demo.
> >
> > Wow I’ve never seen that!
>
> I don’t think a lot of people have. It was only really shown in one video (at least I think so). I’ll have a quick look on youtube for it.
>
> Edit: Here it is!

It’s in more than one video. I’ve seen in other people’s videos.

> > I hope this time they’re implemented properly. And by that, I mean placed outside of combat.
> >
> > Moa and Guta were both ridiculous and at their extremes. Moa frequently got in the way (you had to be extremely lucky for a tagged Moa to blow up your enemies instead of you) and Guta were just the equivalent of a massive explosion launching scenery objects at you and flipping your vehicle all over the place. But the most annoying thing about them is that they’re both faster than you, a Spartan III…
>
> The Guta were basically a mini boss-fight. They were supposed to be strong and fast.
>
> And who the heck tags a Moa instead of just an enemy grunt or something except for the lulz?

This is why I find the Halo community unbearable. Merely increasing the base speed and damage does not make a mini-boss nor does it make a genuinely threatening or intelligent enemy. The Guta are pretty much resized Elites or Skirmishers with no guns and decreased responsiveness. Or more accurately, a reskinned Tartarus with no invincibility and new effects that convey their weight.

As a poster pointed out above, you could just stay far back and spam sniper bullets into the Guta. That’s hardly a threatening beast if it gives you the chance to do that.

I’ve seen videos where Covies end up sticking the Moa (keep in mind they never attack the Moa intentionally) and the Moa ends up charging at the player. It happens vice versa as well. Rarely does anyone try it intentionally, obviously.

Both do not contribute to the immersion. They add to the randomness, which destroys immersion. Proper randomness is something that changes gameplay for the better and makes it more thrilling. These “wildlife” did not at all make it exciting.

The T&R boarding battle is and always will be one of the most significant bases to build Halo upon. It’s got a degree of randomness and a degree of customization. Threat level can be contained or maxed out.

Reach’s wildlife was not very exciting.
The context where they were found, not too exciting sometimes, they also just disappeared in front of your eyes as well.

The gueta… It seems odd that they would be in that place… A place between two human settlements and there was only one encounter which wasn’t too interesting… I hope halo 4’s wildlife is better and more immersive.

“The wildlife in Requiem”

Define “-life”.

Because I’m sure there may be some wildcybor-ish things in Requiem that will give us problems…

I wouldn’t mind seeing some Requiem wildlife. Wildlife was poorly implemented in Reach, so I’d like to see them do better with this game.

I imagine they’ll just skip it, though.