The Warthog and Vehicles in General

A suggestion I have for 343 in the Title Update, though it is probably too late, is to make the warthog more effective. I realize it was horribly overpowered in Halo 3, and needed to be balanced with its hyper-accurate gun and near indestructibility. I feel like now it is a screaming metal death trap that can be flipped over too easily. Seriously, it is a two ton vehicle that flies over molehills, can be tipped over by a DMR, and can be destroyed with 5 sniper rifle bullets. The handling was, in my opinion perfect in Halo 3, a nice combination of physics and the requirement of some skill to drive.

Vehicles in general have had a massive nerf, which I feel was unneeded, and making power weapons, other vehicles, or sticky grenades, not a necessity to destroy vehicles. I would like to see vehicles become more powerful and less like tissue paper covered explosives.

The Warthog wasn’t “horribly overpowered” in Halo 3. People just sucked, couldn’t take it out a smart way (Laser, Rockets, Grenades, Plasmas, Plasma Pistol, Brute Shot, Missile Pod, Jacking, other vehicles, etc.), then complained about it. That’s why vehicle balance is all over the place in general. It’s just Bungie trying to fix what isn’t broken… again.

drive in the the warthog more often and when you become good at it you will see they are completely balanced if not overpowered.

> drive in the the warthog more often and when you become good at it you will see they are completely balanced if not overpowered.

No they’re not. If you’re facing any decent enemies, they’ll concentrate on the Hog with DMR and Sniper fire, it’ll flip and die.

> drive in the the warthog more often and when you become good at it you will see they are completely balanced if not overpowered.

I figure the biggest problem with the warthog in Reach is that it is too easy to tip over. A grenade or other explosive should definitely destroy or tip the warthog over, but not a DMR that can’t even push a spartan. My other main problem with it is how a team can simply chip away at it with DMRs, and even though the gun is powerful, you will eventually have to ditch it because the team has emptied all their ammo into it.

> The Warthog wasn’t “horribly overpowered” in Halo 3. People just sucked, couldn’t take it out a smart way (Laser, Rockets, Grenades, Plasmas, Plasma Pistol, Brute Shot, Missile Pod, Jacking, other vehicles, etc.), then complained about it. That’s why vehicle balance is all over the place in general. It’s just Bungie trying to fix what isn’t broken… again.

I guess I was exaggerating, as, especially on Standoff, two guys in a warthog could trap your team in your base, if you had no support in trying to take it out. I guess that’s what I get for playing with randoms though.

> > The Warthog wasn’t “horribly overpowered” in Halo 3. People just sucked, couldn’t take it out a smart way (Laser, Rockets, Grenades, Plasmas, Plasma Pistol, Brute Shot, Missile Pod, Jacking, other vehicles, etc.), then complained about it. That’s why vehicle balance is all over the place in general. It’s just Bungie trying to fix what isn’t broken… again.
>
> I guess I was exaggerating, as, especially on Standoff, two guys in a warthog could trap your team in your base, if you had no support in trying to take it out. I guess that’s what I get for playing with randoms though.

Its the same thing in reach most the time everyone is in btb by themselfs so there is no communication so the warthog is still really good unless you play against a full team then it can suck (even on foot it sucks) but it was the same thing with halo 3 so i dont no why everyone has a problem with it

> > The Warthog wasn’t “horribly overpowered” in Halo 3. People just sucked, couldn’t take it out a smart way (Laser, Rockets, Grenades, Plasmas, Plasma Pistol, Brute Shot, Missile Pod, Jacking, other vehicles, etc.), then complained about it. That’s why vehicle balance is all over the place in general. It’s just Bungie trying to fix what isn’t broken… again.
>
> I guess I was exaggerating, as, especially on Standoff, two guys in a warthog could trap your team in your base, if you had no support in trying to take it out. I guess that’s what I get for playing with randoms though.

Yeah, Standoff was pretty bad with that. It needed more Plasma Pistols and plasma grenades in each base, and maybe a brute shot.

> > > The Warthog wasn’t “horribly overpowered” in Halo 3. People just sucked, couldn’t take it out a smart way (Laser, Rockets, Grenades, Plasmas, Plasma Pistol, Brute Shot, Missile Pod, Jacking, other vehicles, etc.), then complained about it. That’s why vehicle balance is all over the place in general. It’s just Bungie trying to fix what isn’t broken… again.
> >
> > I guess I was exaggerating, as, especially on Standoff, two guys in a warthog could trap your team in your base, if you had no support in trying to take it out. I guess that’s what I get for playing with randoms though.
>
> Its the same thing in reach most the time everyone is in btb by themselfs so there is no communication so the warthog is still really good unless you play against a full team then it can suck (even on foot it sucks) but it was the same thing with halo 3 so i dont no why everyone has a problem with it

It’s not the same thing. The Warthog wasn’t made of paper back then, and good drivers didn’t have to worry about getting flipped and killed by normal fire.

> > > > The Warthog wasn’t “horribly overpowered” in Halo 3. People just sucked, couldn’t take it out a smart way (Laser, Rockets, Grenades, Plasmas, Plasma Pistol, Brute Shot, Missile Pod, Jacking, other vehicles, etc.), then complained about it. That’s why vehicle balance is all over the place in general. It’s just Bungie trying to fix what isn’t broken… again.
> > >
> > > I guess I was exaggerating, as, especially on Standoff, two guys in a warthog could trap your team in your base, if you had no support in trying to take it out. I guess that’s what I get for playing with randoms though.
> >
> > Its the same thing in reach most the time everyone is in btb by themselfs so there is no communication so the warthog is still really good unless you play against a full team then it can suck (even on foot it sucks) but it was the same thing with halo 3 so i dont no why everyone has a problem with it
>
> It’s not the same thing. The Warthog wasn’t made of paper back then, and good drivers didn’t have to worry about getting flipped and killed by normal fire.

once you hit 500 wheelman you can talk about the quality of a warthog. I have over 4000 i have a bit more experience and i think the physics are fine.

> > > > > The Warthog wasn’t “horribly overpowered” in Halo 3. People just sucked, couldn’t take it out a smart way (Laser, Rockets, Grenades, Plasmas, Plasma Pistol, Brute Shot, Missile Pod, Jacking, other vehicles, etc.), then complained about it. That’s why vehicle balance is all over the place in general. It’s just Bungie trying to fix what isn’t broken… again.
> > > >
> > > > I guess I was exaggerating, as, especially on Standoff, two guys in a warthog could trap your team in your base, if you had no support in trying to take it out. I guess that’s what I get for playing with randoms though.
> > >
> > > Its the same thing in reach most the time everyone is in btb by themselfs so there is no communication so the warthog is still really good unless you play against a full team then it can suck (even on foot it sucks) but it was the same thing with halo 3 so i dont no why everyone has a problem with it
> >
> > It’s not the same thing. The Warthog wasn’t made of paper back then, and good drivers didn’t have to worry about getting flipped and killed by normal fire.
>
> once you hit 500 wheelman you can talk about the quality of a warthog. I have over 4000 i have a bit more experience and i think the physics are fine.

I don’t have to hit 4000 wheelmen to say that something is wrong. That’s like saying you have to be a Field Marshall in Reach to know how to play Reach. Most people disagree with you about the physics being “fine”. When a Warthog gets flipped and destroyed easily by DMR and Sniper fire, something is wrong.

Vehicle tipping should stay in in exchange for either making vehicles tougher, or switching to the Halo 3 style of damage. That doesn’t mean that a pinneedle should be able to flip Warthogs like they do now, but vehicle tipping was a skill aspect in Infantry vs. Vehicle combat.

> Vehicle tipping should stay in in exchange for either making vehicles tougher, or switching to the Halo 3 style of damage. That doesn’t mean that a pinneedle should be able to flip Warthogs like they do now, but vehicle tipping was a skill aspect in Infantry vs. Vehicle combat.

Vehicle tipping happened in Halo 3: A well placed grenade could do the trick. Or the Brute Shot. Not fire from a regular rifle.