The Warden Eternal And What Could Be Done With Him

I know that the Warden Eternal is not a well liked aspect of Halo 5: Guardians. However, please don’t cut him from the story or kill him off in the first mission. I see a lot of potential with his character. Perhaps his constant disagreements with Cortana can be explored further. For example, Cortana has the chance to destroy the Master Chief’s home word of Eridanus II (please correct me if the number is wrong) but she hesitates. She could see this as maybe going too far but Warden Eternal does it for her. I know it is not the best idea, I’m no Joseph Staten, but something along these lines.

From a gameplay standpoint, I would like to see him as an enemy again. The Warden Eternal is one of the best bosses in Halo, Scarabs and Tartarus being fun ones as well. I like fighting him but I understand the criticisms people have about the amount of times the player character has to fight him. I would say fighting him three times would be enough. The first two times only one of him is there to fight (this is for new players to get used to his method of fighting and devise some good strategies to take him down) and the last time you fight him would be akin to The Breaking mission in Halo 5: Guardians where three of him are picking a fight.

I know my suggestions are probably not the best, but I really wanted to voice my thoughts as I don’t another wasted character in this series.

I have no evidence, just certain things that have been said by 343i lead me to infer with hope that this game will be open world.

That said, if this game is open world then they can make the Warden a boss in certain areas.

> 2533274808754416;2:
> I have no evidence, just certain things that have been said by 343i lead me to infer with hope that this game will be open world.
>
> That said, if this game is open world then they can make the Warden a boss in certain areas.

Its capacious not completely open maybe like halo ce

> 2535459820668259;1:
> I know that the Warden Eternal is not a well liked aspect of Halo 5: Guardians. However, please don’t cut him from the story or kill him off in the first mission. I see a lot of potential with his character. Perhaps his constant disagreements with Cortana can be explored further. For example, Cortana has the chance to destroy the Master Chief’s home word of Eridanus II (please correct me if the number is wrong) but she hesitates. She could see this as maybe going too far but Warden Eternal does it for her. I know it is not the best idea, I’m no Joseph Staten, but something along these lines.
>
> From a gameplay standpoint, I would like to see him as an enemy again. The Warden Eternal is one of the best bosses in Halo, Scarabs and Tartarus being fun ones as well. I like fighting him but I understand the criticisms people have about the amount of times the player character has to fight him. I would say fighting him three times would be enough. The first two times only one of him is there to fight (this is for new players to get used to his method of fighting and devise some good strategies to take him down) and the last time you fight him would be akin to The Breaking mission in Halo 5: Guardians where three of him are picking a fight.
>
> I know my suggestions are probably not the best, but I really wanted to voice my thoughts as I don’t another wasted character in this series.

I agree with fighting the Warden three times maximum.

I don’t think it would be so easy to kill him off although I wouldn’t be complaining if that were the case. The execution of the Warden Eternal failed miserably. Even if its portrayal is true to the lore, its presence in the Halo universe (or at least in the game-verse) seems off. In fact, they remind me of Transformers, which, coincidentally, also “walk” and talk! I never enjoyed fighting it and I really hope we don’t have to again. An off-handed mention or two would be perfectly fine, though!

I have fought him enough times for an entire lifetime. I would most enjoy never seeing him again. Ever. And while we r at it lets get rid of all the promethians as well.

I like the Warden as a character. As far as gameplay they did make you fight him too often as a boss. For Infinite I would like it if they nerfed him to about the same difficulty level of Hunters. He could be the Promethean version of the hunter, hard to beat but not a complete bullet sponge and spread him throughout the game to make fighting him feel special.

Id be happy to see him leave. Id rather them expierment with a new flood/covie/brute boss

I shall chain two of him to my chariot and they shall convey to my every whim.

> 2535473219036906;6:
> I have fought him enough times for an entire lifetime. I would most enjoy never seeing him again. Ever. And while we r at it lets get rid of all the promethians as well.

Wasn’t the Flood the most annoying part of Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2? Didn’t they fix them and make them an actual enjoyable enemy (except in the level Cortana) in Halo 3? Maybe 343 Industries could do the same thing for the Prometheans. Not to mention, that would totally screw up the lore and just make a lot of people mad.

If he returns, I’d like to see him rely less on his face beam and gravity ball, and use his sword more. Chase me down, force me to keep moving, block bullets with the sword. Be dynamic and not so bullet spongy. Maybe make the face gun stun/slow instead of OHK, so it helps him run you down. Maybe make the gravity ball more dynamic, like it moves slower but tracks you around cover, so it’s another way of preventing you from bunkering down without unfairly going through walls. Maybe contextual damage sites on him, like shoot out a leg to slow him down or change his attack pattern to use more ranged attacks.

Just don’t make him so predictable, static, and bullet-spongy as he was in Halo 5. The Warden fight in The Breaking was probably the best one because different Wardens attacked differently, so bring back that kind of fight if he returns (when facing multiple Wardens, some stay back to fire ranged attacks, others try to chase you down with the sword).

> 2533275031939856;7:
> I like the Warden as a character. As far as gameplay they did make you fight him too often as a boss. For Infinite I would like it if they nerfed him to about the same difficulty level of Hunters. He could be the Promethean version of the hunter, hard to beat but not a complete bullet sponge and spread him throughout the game to make fighting him feel special.

I don’t know about that, the Knights seem to fit the role of the Hunter. Even though they are very commonplace, more so than Hunters.

> 2533274817408735;11:
> If he returns, I’d like to see him rely less on his face beam and gravity ball, and use his sword more. Chase me down, force me to keep moving, block bullets with the sword. Be dynamic and not so bullet spongy. Maybe make the face gun stun/slow instead of OHK, so it helps him run you down. Maybe make the gravity ball more dynamic, like it moves slower but tracks you around cover, so it’s another way of preventing you from bunkering down without unfairly going through walls. Maybe contextual damage sites on him, like shoot out a leg to slow him down or change his attack pattern to use more ranged attacks.
>
> Just don’t make him so predictable, static, and bullet-spongy as he was in Halo 5. The Warden fight in The Breaking was probably the best one because different Wardens attacked differently, so bring back that kind of fight if he returns (when facing multiple Wardens, some stay back to fire ranged attacks, others try to chase you down with the sword).

Yeah, I like those ideas. The sword felt like something out of anime with it being huge and all, even though Warden Eternal is huge. It could have become his signature weapon people remember him by, but instead people only remember his face attack and gravity ball attack. And I do like the idea of shooting off his limbs to damage him. Reminds me of a Necromorph from Dead Space.

Give him different forms with different and unique capabilities.

<blockquote class=“box-quote” data-username=“SmallestPond888” data-postid=“10”>
<blockquote class=“box-quote specific specific6” data-username=“MolonLabeColt45” data-postid=“6”>
<p>I have fought him enough times for an entire lifetime. I would most enjoy never seeing him again. Ever. And while we r at it lets get rid of all the promethians as well.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Wasn’t the Flood the most annoying part of Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2? Didn’t they fix them and make them an actual enjoyable enemy (except in the level Cortana) in Halo 3? Maybe 343 Industries could do the same thing for the Prometheans. Not to mention, that would totally screw up the lore and just make a lot of people mad.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>The halo ce flood was one of the things that made it such a fantastic game. There’s a reason so many people call for the return of the flood. I don’t tend to see the same amount of love for the prometheans. Maybe that’s just me tho. And personally I’d love to see what the flood looks like with modern graphics capabilities.</p>

> 2533274808754416;2:
> I have no evidence, just certain things that have been said by 343i lead me to infer with hope that this game will be open world.
>
> That said, if this game is open world then they can make the Warden a boss in certain areas.

I cant hope enough that this DOESN’T happen

> 2535459820668259;12:
> > 2533275031939856;7:
> > I like the Warden as a character. As far as gameplay they did make you fight him too often as a boss. For Infinite I would like it if they nerfed him to about the same difficulty level of Hunters. He could be the Promethean version of the hunter, hard to beat but not a complete bullet sponge and spread him throughout the game to make fighting him feel special.
>
> I don’t know about that, the Knights seem to fit the role of the Hunter. Even though they are very commonplace, more so than Hunters.

Yeah they kind of do, not as threatening though. They’re kinda in the middle of an Elite and a Hunter. I just want to not only like Warden’s character but like fighting him more too. He’s a really cool character and I’d hate for them to scrap him just because they didn’t utilize him in the best way in H5.

They’ve already undone a substantial portion of Greg Bear’s work by contradicting key elements of the Forerunner Saga, not to mention the original lore; so I don’t really care what they do with the Warden at this point. I’ll say this though—if he does show up in Infinite he’s likely going to get the Jul 'Mdama treatment.

I think they’re going to, wisely, ignore his very existence.

New Promethean enemies, I’m all for. Even Warden-like bosses. But the character himself in my opinion should never, ever be given another second of screen time.

Honestly, I’d like the Warden to be akin to how I described him in my article: The Warden Eternal Is An Objectively Bad Character (And It’s Okay To Admit That 343)

The Warden just straight up is not interesting to fight. At all. You usually get stuck in an arena-like environment (which isn’t inherently bad of course), but it exposes the flaws the Warden Eternal has as an enemy. The environment tends to be larger enough that he can laser blast you AND small enough that he can run to you to hit you with his massive -Yoink–off sword. I cannot think of a time I used any of the Spartan Abilities to really make a difference. Furthermore, you just shoot at him over and over, preferably on his massive glowing weak spot (really?). He is a bullet sponge, plain and simple. Add in the fact you fight him about 7 times and you have an enemy whose gameplay contributions wear out their welcome quickly. Is it a wonder that many opted to exploit their way out of the final Warden Eternal fight? Then you throw in how he tends to have offensive support from Promethean units and its just becomes too much of a hassle to fight him and his Knights, Soldiers, etc.

If I were to be given the chance to change the way the Warden Eternal played, I’d approach his gameplay by giving him different “forms” that are contingent on the scenarios he experiences. When you first encounter him, he should be given a massive shield that projects in front of him. This is similar to how Watchers project shields on other enemies. That said, there should be enough space for the Warden to thrust his sword as if it were a lance if he were to get close. However, in this form he’d be unable to shoot his laser blast. The shield itself should be projected by two specialized Watcher units with a third specialized unit hovering towards the back that protects the first two. While you can avoid the Warden from the distance, you’d have to risk taking out the back Watcher by getting closer. However, these would ideally be the only other units you fight, no need to teleport in Knights to make the whole thing more difficult. When the first Watcher dies, the others can be taken down and when one falls then half of the Warden’s shield will sputter out and disappear which opens up the Warden to damage.

Remember how I said I’d give him hardight armor in the design section? This is where that comes in. The armor should be plated and be able to be individually destroyed. Think of it like a Jackal’s shield. You keep hitting the plating and the color changes until it ultimately blinks out. This would allow the Warden Eternal to be defeated in different ways. Say you shoot his sword arm off after exposing enough of his skeletal frame and destroying it, he can’t use that anymore. He’ll use his laser, yes, but it won’t be too effective at close range. He might try hitting you with his remaining arm, but players can boost out of the way OR Spartan Charge his arm and cause damage. Once both arms are gone, perhaps that can leave him open to being clambered on for an easy assassination once players cause enough damage to cause what armor he has on his head to fade away. Or a head shot, whatever works. Depending on the method used to take him down could theoretically lead to different ways he fights back.
Now, obviously, this would probably only be relevant in campaign. In Warzone or whatever it’s equivalent may be in Halo 6, everybody will be using tanks to probably wipe him out quickly. I’d like to think the shield set up would at least cause people to re-evaluate how they would attack the Warden in Warzone.