The Ultimate Mapmaking Mode

As many of you know, Forge 2.0 is a decent step up from Forge 1.0 with sandbox and foundry. But personally, i believe its time for a HUGE upgrade. Forge should consist of 2 seperate modes. Terraform Mode, and Structure Mode.

>Terraform Mode
You will be given a Blank canvas. Possibly just a wide, circular open spot in the ocean. The map should be completely desolate of anything, except for water. And maybe some rocky outcroppings in this distance, or even mountains.

On this map you will be able to create whatever type of land you want. you can choose from
>Green Grass (similar to forgeworld)
>Sand
>Tall Grass
>Barren Rock
Similar to that of Farcry 2’s map editor. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8YDqdFrHdo
Also add some other cool features and tools such as the tint of the water from various blues to greens. Also 343, please keep the detail of the canvas map to a minimum so we can Forge more with less lag.

>Structure Mode
With structure mode, we will be able to forge blocks and structures onto the maps we create in terraform mode.
Structures will inlude 1 simple block. With this 1 block, you can choose how many units wide and tall it will be. Say i want to make this 1 block 1x16. Then i would get a long slender block with a girth of 1 unit, and as tall as 16 units.

To add variety to our blocks, we should be able to choose a custom skin for each individual block.

Example of some skin options.
>Choose from white, black, or grey. with the option to add
>Built in glass
>Built in Lights (customizable color)
>Built in Designs
or, you may just choose i simple skin without changing each individual block.
>Zealot Covenant skin (with rounded edges on usually sharp corners.)
>Forerunner (like forge world)
>Unsc

The new forge should have atleast double or triple the object variety that forgeworld has. And please keep the block and foregable structure pieces low on detail so we can have more map, and less lag.
Thanks for reading! :slight_smile:

^ This is really good. I reckon that 343i should go all out and make us a nice gigantic like far cry 2 map editor but have it Halo themed, of course. Lots of people would love this if it happened.

What you guys said, excellent Ideas. Maybe they are afraid to break away from forge because its not “Halo” enough? Terrain would be incredible. Even if we got stuck with the same sucky objects I would be fine with all of those terrain options (Grass, Water, Tree’s, Rocks, More Rocks).

> What you guys said, excellent Ideas. Maybe they are afraid to break away from forge because its not “Halo” enough?

Not even close. The thing is, we don’t need that stuff to make a good quality map. Why stress the hell out of the game for something we can make much simpler which Forge 2.0 is. Wanna know why we have frame rate performance issues on maps? There is too much in the game. Bungie pushed Reach to game limits by adding things like forge. Notice how playlists that have community maps are only aloud to have 2 player console limits. If this was added, it would become 1 player per console. I know you guys definitely do not want that.

My point is we don’t need all of this to make good maps. It’s called using your imagination and being creative with what Bungie gives you to work with.

Ive always used map editors in games and have always enjoyed coming up with great maps for me and my buddies to play on. When Bungie announced a Forge editor in H3 I was really excited, but after a while I realized both how limited it was and how limitless the idea of forge is!

I couldnt understand why is wasnt simply better…

Preferably for me I’d have an initial template selection. This would include…

1.) Map Size
2.) Map style (block colours, earth colours, textures… etc.)
3.) Lighting (even a simple brightness editor)

Even with these simple options it would open up and entirely new world for map making. More tools could also be added for easy efficient map creation. Tools such as a elevation editor which create flowing hills and valleys out of once flat surfaces… the list reallys does go on!

You make a good point, I’ll give you that.

But hey, maybe it could increase the time played on H4 in the long run? I know it would for me. I’d spend hours on end just in the forge mode.

> > What you guys said, excellent Ideas. Maybe they are afraid to break away from forge because its not “Halo” enough?
>
> Not even close. The thing is, we don’t need that stuff to make a good quality map. Why stress the hell out of the game for something we can make much simpler which Forge 2.0 is. Wanna know why we have frame rate performance issues on maps? There is too much in the game. Bungie pushed Reach to game limits by adding things like forge. Notice how playlists that have community maps are only aloud to have 2 player console limits. If this was added, it would become 1 player per console. I know you guys definitely do not want that.
>
> My point is we don’t need all of this to make good maps. It’s called using your imagination and being creative with what Bungie gives you to work with.

I know where your coming from but its very frustrating for me as an artist to play so many maps which look and feel the same… I dont understand why bungie used forge to recreate asscention instead of remaking the map from scratch (showing off forge’s capabilities perhaps). The same goes for sanctuary. Thus when community maps are released into a playlist they all look and feel the same…
Now I am no where near short in imagination, but from an artists p.o.v, what a waste!

> I know where your coming from but its very frustrating for me as an artist to play so many maps which look and feel the same . . . Thus when community maps are released into a playlist they all look and feel the same…
> Now I am no where near short in imagination, but from an artists p.o.v, what a waste!

The only limits are the ones you can’t overcome.

Well, okay, that’s an exaggeration, but you know what I mean. It’s entirely possible to make maps that look good and original in Forge. I’ve even seen some some things that literally look like they came from built-in maps.

> > I know where your coming from but its very frustrating for me as an artist to play so many maps which look and feel the same . . . Thus when community maps are released into a playlist they all look and feel the same…
> > Now I am no where near short in imagination, but from an artists p.o.v, what a waste!
>
> The only limits are the ones you can’t overcome.
>
> Well, okay, that’s an exaggeration, but you know what I mean. It’s entirely possible to make maps that look good and original in Forge. I’ve even seen some some things that literally look like they came from built-in maps.

true… just would have liked to see more studio made maps, especially asscention and sanctuary in the game, instead of remakes via forge!

My interpretation of Forge is that it is accessable to everyone, regardless of skill level. The Far cry 2 map editor is powerful, yet far from simple and accesable. I will agree that Forge 2.0 is a huge improvement over the original, and 3.0 can be improved, but it can’t be overly complicated. Forge should be as simple as possible, yet have enough features to allow forgers to greate the things they want. a better forge is not neccicarily a more complicated one.

> My interpretation of Forge is that it is accessable to everyone, regardless of skill level. The Far cry 2 map editor is powerful, yet far from simple and accesable. I will agree that Forge 2.0 is a huge improvement over the original, and 3.0 can be improved, but it can’t be overly complicated. Forge should be as simple as possible, yet have enough features to allow forgers to greate the things they want. a better forge is not neccicarily a more complicated one.

You kidding man? Far cry was so easy!

> My interpretation of Forge is that it is accessable to everyone, regardless of skill level. The Far cry 2 map editor is powerful, yet far from simple and accesable. I will agree that Forge 2.0 is a huge improvement over the original, and 3.0 can be improved, but it can’t be overly complicated. Forge should be as simple as possible, yet have enough features to allow forgers to greate the things they want. a better forge is not neccicarily a more complicated one.

I wouldnt want a forge engine to be created that is any bit more complicated than the previous ones. I just want one created with more options, and more options always mean less complication… think about it.

Instead of having to build things from scatch by joining blocks here and there, there could simply be more preset options. A better forge is most definitely NOT a more complicated one. More options will prevent this.

Even though I think these are great ideas; I think we need some focus on the developers making quality maps and not putting all the focus on forge I think that was one of the problems with reach maps.

> Even though I think these are great ideas; I think we need some focus on the developers making quality maps and not putting all the focus on forge I think that was one of the problems with reach maps.

Id have no problem with this solution. The main reason I used forge in Reach so much was as an outlet for making good MP maps… The reason being was I just wasnt overly fond of the maps they gave us… Even if they took aspects of community made maps and made into ‘‘proper’’ maps for release.

Due to however this being the first halo with spartan and elite loadouts such as the jetpack, the maps this time round HAD to be made differently to accommodate different player loadouts

I can’t understand people who don’t want this. How is an extra, amazing map making feature a bad thing? They’re just afraid of change, I’m assuming. Either way, they’re extremely selfish.

If we’re terraforming, it should be called ‘Forerunner mode’ hehe.

OP. Are you still here? I have an idea to tell you.

we also need these tools.[

http://halo.xbox.com/forums/games/f/9/t/12548.aspx

](http://halo.xbox.com/forums/games/f/9/t/12548.aspx)

Ya king, im still here. Shoot.

Vehicle/Weapon creator/editor