The thing I'm Hoping For In MLG

I really hope MLG on Halo 4 isn’t a Grenade-Fest like Halo 3 was. Most frustrating thing ever, when you get destroyed by 4 grenades at the same time before you even know you’re in a "fight. I’m not sure how you can balance grenades, though.

Grenade spam has been in every Halo game, it will be in Halo 4. Brace yourself lol.

Grenade spam is way too effective :frowning:

MLG has the least grenade spam out of any playlist, except for big team.

Grenades need longer fuse times, and less power.

> I really hope MLG on Halo 4 isn’t a Grenade-Fest like Halo 3 was. Most frustrating thing ever, when you get destroyed by 4 grenades at the same time before you even know you’re in a "fight. I’m not sure how you can balance grenades, though.

Seriously? Throwing a grenade on an enemy before he sees you is a skill. It is called predection. To understand where another player goes at all times. This skill never existed in Reach until they dropped sprint from the MLG playlist.

> > I really hope MLG on Halo 4 isn’t a Grenade-Fest like Halo 3 was. Most frustrating thing ever, when you get destroyed by 4 grenades at the same time before you even know you’re in a "fight. I’m not sure how you can balance grenades, though.
>
> Seriously? Throwing a grenade on an enemy before he sees you is a skill. It is called predection. To understand where another player goes at all times. This skill never existed in Reach until they dropped sprint from the MLG playlist.

You understand that this is not the same as grenade spam…
Right?

> > > I really hope MLG on Halo 4 isn’t a Grenade-Fest like Halo 3 was. Most frustrating thing ever, when you get destroyed by 4 grenades at the same time before you even know you’re in a "fight. I’m not sure how you can balance grenades, though.
> >
> > Seriously? Throwing a grenade on an enemy before he sees you is a skill. It is called predection. To understand where another player goes at all times. This skill never existed in Reach until they dropped sprint from the MLG playlist.
>
> You understand that this is not the same as grenade spam…
> Right?

That isn’t what he said. He said: “it was frustrating to die before he even knew he was in a fight.”

That would mean that someone threw a grenade at him from somewhere and he didn’t understand where it came from or who trew it before he died. Which is called to predtict an enemy.

Someone never played CE or Halo 2…

Grenade “spam” is a good thing. It’s used to deter your opponents from taking certain routes. If they still decide to push a route that’s being spammed they deserve to die. Why is blocking access to routes a good thing? Well, it boosts predictability. If you know an opponent is in a room, and that room has three exits it becomes a guessing game as to which exit he’ll use. There’s three possibilities. You can narrow it down by using the game’s circumstances (e.g., route 1 leads to no cover, route 2 and 3 lead to a powerup that will spawn soon. We can assume he won’t take route 1, but either 2 or 3), but it’s still guessing. If we nade spam we can boost the likelihood of him taking a specific route. That’s good because it helps minimise randomness. Anyone disagree?

Nade spam is also good because it punishes bad positioning and awareness. The OP’s situation is a prime example of the latter - OP was unaware of what was happening so he dies. An example of nade spam punishing bad positioning could perhaps be a player camping the front entrance of red base on Battle Creek with a shotgun. Nade spam that room and he’s dead. Come to think of it, nade spam could help with map flow…

Anyway, I’m hoping we can hold 8 grenades again in Halo 4, maybe more :3

> Someone never played CE or Halo 2…
>
> Grenade “spam” is a good thing. It’s used to deter your opponents from taking certain routes. If they still decide to push a route that’s being spammed they deserve to die. Why is blocking access to routes a good thing? Well, it boosts predictability. If you know an opponent is in a room, and that room has three exits it becomes a guessing game as to which exit he’ll use. There’s three possibilities. You can narrow it down by using the game’s circumstances (e.g., route 1 leads to no cover, route 2 and 3 lead to a powerup that will spawn soon. We can assume he won’t take route 1, but either 2 or 3), but it’s still guessing. If we nade spam we can boost the likelihood of him taking a specific route. That’s good because it helps minimise randomness. Anyone disagree?
>
> Nade spam is also good because it punishes bad positioning and awareness. The OP’s situation is a prime example of the latter - OP was unaware of what was happening so he dies. An example of nade spam punishing bad positioning could perhaps be a player camping the front entrance of red base on Battle Creek with a shotgun. Nade spam that room and he’s dead. Come to think of it, nade spam could help with map flow…
>
> Anyway, I’m hoping we can hold 8 grenades again in Halo 4, maybe more :3

I can buy into this explanation, but this doesn’t solve the problem of grenades becoming so useful and overpowered in a 1v1 encounter. Players who are losing a gunfight can easily chuck 1-2 grenades (which are effectively unavoidable thanks to Reach’s movement speed) and kill his opponent easily, as a result of their power.

Grenades should have a longer fuse time, and less power. This way, grenades can still be used strategically to block of routes, etc., but cannot be spammed in a 1v1 encounter.