The Sword in The Arena

I think we can all agree that the way that the sword currently works in The Arena does not do the playlist any favors. On the small maps where it is featured (Sword Base, Countdown) it typically ends up getting at 15-20 of the total kills during the match and it is often the weapon of choice for 2 or more players.

Possible solutions.

1. Remove Sword from all maps in The Arena
  2. Increase drop time for Sword (make it only appear once or twice per match)
  3. Lower “ammo” on the Sword. Make it so the sword only gets 3 or 4 swings each time it is put on the map.

I’m sure there is a huge list of things that would make The Arena better, but this small change would lower the annoyance factor of the playlist quite a bit.

Discuss.

If you can time a Sword Block and have some teammates to aid you then swordsmen are no problem.

Oh noez, it functions like a power weapon.

There’s two sides to it and you already have taken up one side. The other side is that if you had your hands on the power weapon, I doubt you’d be complaining as much but it sounds like you’re on the death end most of the time. Which isn’t a knock against you but it distorts perception.

The bottom line is that the sword is a power weapon and it’s on the map. Be aware of that fact and act accordingly. Think that everyone will be going for it and plan accordingly. It will help strategize your movements better.

> Oh noez, it functions like a power weapon.

The problem with this is that most power weapons have lower ammo. Sniper 8 shots. Rockets 4 shots. Only the shotgun has more ammo than the sword.

The shotgun could possibly be argued the same way, as both weapons promote standing in one area of the map and waiting for the game to come to you. I’m not advocating that we remove all possible close quarter weapons or camping areas (it’s a legitimate strategy), but the sword does lend itself toward drastically unbalanced gameplay.

++++

In other news they are removing the “sword block” or “sword cancel” with the upcoming Title Update. As of Oct. 2 (not sure on the exact date) you will no longer be able to survive a sword lunge.

> There’s two sides to it and you already have taken up one side. The other side is that if you had your hands on the power weapon, I doubt you’d be complaining as much but it sounds like you’re on the death end most of the time. Which isn’t a knock against you but it distorts perception.
>
> The bottom line is that the sword is a power weapon and it’s on the map. Be aware of that fact and act accordingly. Think that everyone will be going for it and plan accordingly. It will help strategize your movements better.

I usually don’t pickup the sword, but I also rarely die by the sword (49 kills, 63 deaths over 296 games in Arena). It is, however, frustrating to play match after match where 1/3 or more of all kills on the map came from one single weapon. Although this happens somewhat on Sword Base, the inclusion of the grenade launcher as well as the sniper helps counteract the sword domination.

It is most apparent on Countdown where there are endless corners, levels, and ways to traverse to almost any spot on the map. Almost all of which can lead to quick death by sword. In my opinion it would be much better to have rockets on Countdown in the place of the sword.