The Switch from Bungie.net

I know the actual bungie guys dont own it anymore but seriuosly the new thing suckjs… i like it before when i could just look through all my stuff right on that one page… all my medals and all my kills and the heatmaps and stuff like that. I mean, it doesnt even work for me on here…

Bungie had how many years to perfect their website?

343 Industries is fairly newish company, give them as long as Bungie and you will think theirs was trash.

Giving how this website is fairly new, I’d say 343i has done a good job.

Did you expect it to be better than Bungie.net? Bungie has been around donkey’s years.

Bungie built the forums from scratch and has 10+ years history with them. These forums are using forum software that has restrictions and are less than a year old in their current incarnation.

Patience. :slight_smile:

try looking at your halo 3 stats at b.net, then you’ll notice how similair it is to waypoint …

> Bungie had how many years to perfect their website?
>
> 343 Industries is fairly newish company, give them as long as Bungie and you will think theirs was trash.

Exactly

I just came from that site also, but I wish the design template of the forums would look a little better. I like the design of the website, but it just feels clunky…

This forum isn’t that new. There’s no excuse, just laziness.

> This forum isn’t that new. There’s no excuse, just laziness.

This forum was created in late 2011. I don’t think it’s that old. Wait until Halo 4 comes out, they’ll probably put more resources into their website and other cool things. :stuck_out_tongue:

> > This forum isn’t that new. There’s no excuse, just laziness.
>
> This forum was created in late 2011. I don’t think it’s that old. Wait until Halo 4 comes out, they’ll probably put more resources into their website and other cool things. :stuck_out_tongue:

These forums to be exact, launched on November 14th 2011, there was an older forum software which was abandoned for Yet Another Forums software.

These forums are still fairly new.

With time these forums will much surpass the old B.net forums. “Rome was not built in a day”

Eh, halo waypoint is about 1.7 years old now. As far as websites go, that’s not really new anymore. The web team does seem to be making improvements and changes every once in a while, which is nice, so they are definitely trying. It’s possible that they have stupid amounts of regulations they need to go through before they can alter/improve/fix anything here since 343 is a part of microsoft and waypoint is using a subdomain of xbox.com. It’d probably be frowned upon for them to release a fix for something here that rapes the rest of xbox.com.

But some of the excuses offered about forum software restrictions are silly. This forum software is open source…that basically means they’re able to go into the code and edit whatever the hell they want. If they wanted stuff on the forum to look/work better, they could just do it. Only reasons why issues are not better already would be that they don’t know how to fix them, don’t care about the problem, and/or have other priorities.

Some of the forum issues are complicated, like why it randomly eats/deletes posts when you try to submit them. Other weird things are caused by features that they might consider important, like how each post tends to have a stupid amount of blank space below the text/content, which is needed because of the layout they use for the user profiles, listing avatar, rank, posts, 2-3 lines of thanks, and a link back to the top for everybody. And strange login behavior is probably not entirely their fault as they’re using general xbox login information and that can do weird stuff sometimes on its own, though it does seem to have more trouble here than just on xbox.com.

As far as the stats pages being slow and hard to navigate, that’s in large part because of overusing java/ajax sillyness and a few confusing coding choices. They likely know about most of the issues by now, it’s just a matter of do they care. I believe bungie announced that halo would be switching over to waypoint sometime around last summer, and microsoft/343 probably knew about that before hand, so they’ve had a decent amount of time to get their -Yoink- together. But for them reach might not really feel like their game so it’s entirely possible they simply don’t care.

Current best case senario is that they develop a decent API for halo 4 and community people who care about stats and functionality can making something cool and user friendly, and waypoint can keep focusing on looking flashy.

Was pretty hard because of how slow this website is in comparison. But I’ve gotten used to it I guess.

What we need is a off-topic section if anybody is tired of the Halo 4 talk after the game is released.

> Current best case senario is that they develop a decent API for halo 4 and community people who care about stats and functionality can making something cool and user friendly, and waypoint can keep focusing on looking flashy.

If I actually had money to bet, I’d be willing to bet money that they’re currently putting all their effort toward this and other Halo 4-related services – hence the relatively scarce website updates right now.

This website is slow and finding things are very difficult

I assume they are going to release a major update to the site right around the release of Halo 4. I think it would be a huge mistake not to have the file sharing and rendered videos that Halo fans have come to expect and love.

I do agree that Bungie’s website was easier to use, but I also take note at how new Halo Waypoint is. Though I would like for them to have a filebrowser and Halo 3 stats as well on here, I know they are busy with Halo 4 and it will take some time before they can improve their website.

Don’t mind the forums or waypoint, it’s no big deal. But is it much to ask that you guys at 343 at least keep track again of our Halo 3 and ODST stats and give us BACK the abbility to change our nameplates?

> > This forum isn’t that new. There’s no excuse, just laziness.
>
> This forum was created in late 2011. I don’t think it’s that old. Wait until Halo 4 comes out, they’ll probably put more resources into their website and other cool things. :stuck_out_tongue:

Um… no. The site itself is a few years old at this point. These new iteration of the forum have nothing to do with the stats section of the website.

Also, they literally have a PRIME example of how to do stats for any of the halo games (over on Bungie.net). Literally all they had to do was copy/paste the information over there, not try to put in some other super crazy stat which is totally irrelevant and stupid because of the fact that (at least, when I was last on) we don’t know how it works exactly, and make it fit the overall color scheme of this website (which is the bloody same as Bungie.net, but a bit of a lighter shade of blue) and… boom! You have a read-made stats section.

Don’t get me wrong, I know it’s not THAT easy, but for how long they’ve been working on it, and with the next to unlimited resources you have being a subsidiary of Microsoft, you’d think they’d have a better product by now.

And please, for the love of God, don’t give me the “they have more important things like making a video game to do” excuse. Bungie.net’s web team, in all, is comprised of less than 15 people. 15 people in the sea of people who work for 343 is nothing at all and wouldn’t affect the output product in the slightest bit.