The 'Storm' Covenant

So we have all these ‘storm’ covenant: storm rifle, storm grunts, and now the storm jackals. This got me thinking. What does the Storm prefix indicate? Here’s what I think it could be:

1. The faction we are fighting (Storm Covenant?): the covenant was dissolved after the great schism. The Prophets & Engineers dissappeared, the brutes fell into anarchy while the elites continued to exterminate them, the jackals and grunts remained loyal to whoever commanded them, and the Elites allied with the humans.
    Now the Elite’s society is fractured with some still demanding the destruction of humans. So my guess is that this Storm is a faction of hostile elites with their Jackal and Grunt subordinates. Also it seems they employ a different subspecies of Jackals.

Edit: The Storm might be the military organization of The Servants of the Abiding Truth or a seperate secret organization. (thx for Arbiter Pinkie and OrKuun Byundis for these great ideas!)

1. A class of shock troopers and weapons(hence the name ‘Storm’): so we have a hostile faction (like the Servants of the Abiding Truth) and they employ a class of shock troopers named “Storm”, and the storm rifle is their assault rifle. They also employ a different subspecies of Jackals, (like the skirmishers who harrased the enemy) with a different role than the original Jackals (who sniped), something like direct assault.

These are my theories.

Also we havent seen a storm Elite yet, which supports the 2. theory.

I think it’s different subspecies of the covenant species. Hence why they look so different.

> I think it’s different subspecies of the covenant species. Hence why they look so different.

Only the Jackel’s anatomy looks different, indicating its a subspecies. The Elites and grunts have different armor and equipment (by different I mean less), likely because they are a different faction.

I like theory 1. Assuming theory 1 is correct, and that is the covanant were fighting in halo 4, are we going to continue to see the “storm covanant in halo 5 and 6?”

I am excited about the new enemy, the forunner promethians. However, ive been following halo since the first one over ten years ago, and when i think of halo, i think of all battles against the covanant to keep our civilization alive. The battles not for victory, but for survival. A foe so vast and with far superior technology. I agree with the change, i just hope they never fully eliminate the threat of the remaining hostile covanant.

> I like theory 1. Assuming theory 1 is correct, and that is the covanant were fighting in halo 4, are we going to continue to see the “storm covanant in halo 5 and 6?”
>
> I am excited about the new enemy, the forunner promethians. However, ive been following halo since the first one over ten years ago, and when i think of halo, i think of all battles against the covanant to keep our civilization alive. The battles not for victory, but for survival. A foe so vast and with far superior technology. I agree with the change, i just hope they never fully eliminate the threat of the remaining hostile covanant.

Well I hope we’ll see the normal elites tho.

It could be a new faction of Covenant which call themselves ‘the storm’?

> It could be a new faction of Covenant which call themselves ‘the storm’?

Yes thats theory 1. But the covenant exist no more.

> > It could be a new faction of Covenant which call themselves ‘the storm’?
>
> Yes thats theory 1. <mark>But the covenant exist no more.</mark>

Except for the Loyalists.

I agree theory 1 not so sure about the subspecies theory or theory number 2 but they are plausible.

Do you think it could be both theories involved? What I mean to say is that the term “storm” could refer to the new covenant faction but also may have “storm” ranks categorized into the covenant enemies we have seen from Halo 4. Maybe?

> > > It could be a new faction of Covenant which call themselves ‘the storm’?
> >
> > Yes thats theory 1. <mark>But the covenant exist no more.</mark>
>
> Except for the Loyalists.

Well no, not really. The Loyalists fleet was destroyed, the Prophets dissappeared, the brutes fell into anarchy killing eachother (some still work for the elites tho) the jackals returned to piracy and trading, so the Covenant exists no more.

> > > > It could be a new faction of Covenant which call themselves ‘the storm’?
> > >
> > > Yes thats theory 1. <mark>But the covenant exist no more.</mark>
> >
> > Except for the Loyalists.
>
> Well no, not really. The Loyalists fleet was destroyed, the Prophets dissappeared, the brutes fell into anarchy killing eachother (some still work for the elites tho) the jackals returned to piracy and trading, so the Covenant exists no more.

Their appearance in Halo 4 says otherwise. And when the Grunt spots the Chief he shouts “Demon, demon!” Sounds like this particular group is still loyal enough to the old religious way.

> > > > It could be a new faction of Covenant which call themselves ‘the storm’?
> > >
> > > Yes thats theory 1. <mark>But the covenant exist no more.</mark>
> >
> > Except for the Loyalists.
>
> Well no, not really. The Loyalists fleet was destroyed, the Prophets dissappeared, the brutes fell into anarchy killing eachother (some still work for the elites tho) the jackals returned to piracy and trading, so the Covenant exists no more.

All true. Yet it’s ridiculous to assume SOME Loyalists do not exist and that the Covenant exists no more. After all, all that info you listed was revealed in The Return, which is set two years AFTER Halo 4. So up to 2557, are ALL the Brutes against each other? We don’t know. Are ALL the Prophets gone? We don’t know.

I’m inclined to believe that the faction the Elites are leading has “Storm” in its name. The Jackals and Grunts I believe are subspecies, and are referred to as “Storm Jackals” and “Storm Grunts” because they are both largely associated with that group. Same with the Storm Rifle.

Maybe their an insurgent dissident faction that has a similar anatomy of the old Covenant Empire?

> i just hope they never fully eliminate the threat of the remaining hostile covanant.

They’re only a threat in that they might stumble upon something that when unleashed could spell disaster for the galaxy. They will probably never be Earth-threatening levels ever again though, MC pretty much broke their back in the first trilogy.

So what you’re saying is in Halo 4 we will be facing… Storm Troopers?

Storm Covenant eh? That is actually pretty interesting, with a great upshot being that possibly the Plasma Rifle hasn’t been phased out at all. The Storm Rifle is simply a rival faction equivalent.

Im kind of hoping that they are sub-species, that way there might be a possibility of the normal? ones still being in halo 4.