The Sprint: Pro Players Only!

First let me say I really love The Sprint as it puts a face to the folks who sculpt Halo and its beautiful art and features. But for real, where’s my casual player presence? All we’ve seen is 343 hiring pro players consultants and bringing in other pro players in to giving feedback. That’s cool and all and I know they are well respected in the Halo community, but that leads to a game appealing to the competitive mindset that could ultimately leave the casual player out in the lurch. In addition, I’m pretty sure that the bulk of folks purchasing Halo won’t be on the pro circuit.

Do you agree, disagree or other?

Again I point to Halo 3. Catering to both the competitor and casual in fair ways. Again I’m mentioning how Halo Reach, 4, and now Halo 5 are ignoring this formula…

You seem to be unaware of the totality of the situation. The competitive community in general has sent letters to 343, tried to get their attention in various forums like Team Beyond (http://teambeyond.net/forum/)…and its been ignored. The competitive community has lost hope that 343 will deliver a competitive arena-style FPS game. These aren’t my words, but theirs in general.

Here is a presentation by the Studio Head of 343 that addresses your concerns:
http://youtu.be/bjWQyGi5nME?t=35m4s
One of their pushes “is to make Halo a more accessible multiplayer experience. Historically Halo has been very hardcore and its had a very steep learning curve that has turned off a lot of players. So we want to help new players find success.”
Here is an image from the presentation: http://i.imgur.com/h2MTcl9.png

In other words, don’t worry about the casual friendliness of Halo. Some of the new mechanisms in Halo 5 have been added simply to bring familiarity to the player (like the ADS).

I think casual players can play on a map designed for competitive highly skilled players. Think of it as a professional basketball court, ultimately a group of out-of-shape friends could play there. Even if there were 100 casual basketball players, they would still design it for the professionals would be happy. I guess what I’m saying is I think most casual gamers don’t need maps designed specifically for casual play.

Just to clarify, I identify as a casual gamer.

Reach and 4 were not very competitive. Especially 4 with its huge maps. It didn’t have one good competitive map until the last map pack. Tasks were taken out so feeling wouldn’t get hurt. They added more auto aim and slowed the strafe down so nobody could dodge your shots. Reach and 4 blew.

This game IS super casual. It is not competitively viable, and most competitive players can tell you that.

343 hires pros. Then completely ignores everything they say. So I’d hardly say casuals aren’t getting represented any less.

> 2533274831961512;2:
> Again I point to Halo 3. Catering to both the competitor and casual in fair ways. Again I’m mentioning how Halo Reach, 4, and now Halo 5 are ignoring this formula…

Agreed. But in the end, they will fail and Microsoft might scrap them. I don’t suppose Bungie will ever take up the mantle again? Honestly, I like the “if it an’t broke, don’t fix it!” approach. Reinventing is one thing, but experimentation over time tested is just foolhardy.

> 2533274913936758;7:
> 343 hires pros. Then completely ignores everything they say. So I’d hardly say casuals aren’t getting represented any less.

Your wrong on this one. In one of The Sprint episodes, the guy makes the point that they aimed to make Halo 5 more competitive. Where do you think they got that idea?

Sprint is absolutely pointless in Halo. Just increase movement speed. Boom everyone is happy.

> 2533274831961512;2:
> Again I point to Halo 3. Catering to both the competitor and casual in fair ways. Again I’m mentioning how Halo Reach, 4, and now Halo 5 are ignoring this formula…

Halo 5 isn’t ignoring this, but they are catering a lot to the competitive play of things. However the beta was still just a small sample of things to come. You’re talking about one of the biggest franchises on xbox. Halo is xbox’s baby, I bet that they will put a lot more to Halo than there ever was, very well possible and it has the potential. You are talking about MCC 4.5 games on one disc for the xbox one, that is pretty intense. They have the time and they have been working on it for a long time. So the question is how far is 343 going to push the envelope with a brand new console to play with as well, and all that extra power and space, along with the cloud.

> 2533274825410891;10:
> Sprint is absolutely pointless in Halo. Just increase movement speed. Boom everyone is happy.

…lol you did not even read…This thread is about The Sprint which is a mini series on The Halo Channel. This has nothing to do with the game mechanic.

> 2533274825410891;10:
> Sprint is absolutely pointless in Halo. Just increase movement speed. Boom everyone is happy.

Nope, not everyone is happy, in fact that was a big reason why most people didn’t even get into MLG playlists because the movement speed was increased, it was too fast for people to shoot precisely compared to normal speed. The reason why speed was increased for MLG was because Halo as a competitive stand point was to slow, and even with it being at a slightly higher pace, was good but it lacked a lot more depth. The other thing was a lot of players didn’t like playing competitive because of BR starts, but that would be it. Other than that, I am a competitive halo player, and love it through and through, and Halo 5 is kind of hitting it on the sweet spot, to make speed a variable now.

> 2533274808635409;1:
> First let me say I really love The Sprint as it puts a face to the folks who sculpt Halo and its beautiful art and features. But for real, where’s my casual player presence? All we’ve seen is 343 hiring pro players consultants and bringing in other pro players in to giving feedback. That’s cool and all and I know they are well respected in the Halo community, but that leads to a game appealing to the competitive mindset that could ultimately leave the casual player out in the lurch. In addition, I’m pretty sure that the bulk of folks purchasing Halo won’t be on the pro circuit.
>
> Do you agree, disagree or other?

Disagree.

Why would they hire casual players as advisers? Anyone can give feedback on what would be casual fun.

> Nope, not everyone is happy, in fact that was a big reason why most people didn’t even get into MLG playlists because the movement speed was increased, it was too fast for people to shoot precisely compared to normal speed.

I call complete and utter -Yoink- on that.

> 2533274825410891;10:

So you can’t get kills in Halo 5 because of sprint, I see…

Casuals dont know how work a game. They dont play a game deeply, they just play.

> 2533274808635409;9:
> > 2533274913936758;7:
> > 343 hires pros. Then completely ignores everything they say. So I’d hardly say casuals aren’t getting represented any less.
>
>
> Your wrong on this one. In one of The Sprint episodes, the guy makes the point that they aimed to make Halo 5 more competitive. Where do you think they got that idea?

“Aiming” to make a game more competitive is different than actually doing it. No pros would tell 343 they should add sprint, AAs (renamed to SAs), zoom on autos, clamber or any other of the gimmicks in H5. The only thing the former pros at 343 do is playtest. 343 doesn’t ask them for feedback or guidance in design. If they did, the game wouldn’t be so bad.

Bringing back equal starts wasn’t because of pros. It was because the entire community lashed out as one.

> 2533274808635409;9:
> > 2533274913936758;7:
> > 343 hires pros. Then completely ignores everything they say. So I’d hardly say casuals aren’t getting represented any less.
>
>
> Your wrong on this one. In one of The Sprint episodes, the guy makes the point that they aimed to make Halo 5 more competitive. Where do you think they got that idea?

They said the same things during Halo 4’s production time.

Should you really listen to them anymore?

None of this has anything to do with whether or not H5 can be used as a competitive platform. Any game can be. The question is whether or not H5 will get close enough to the H3 standard for the people who knew and loved that game. I sympathize with the fact that they liked that game and see no reason for Halo to change…

But 343 has a responsibility to bring new people into the franchise. If lowering the bar to some degree can make it possible for a new player to get past the historically steep learning curve, then I’m personally OK with it. It doesn’t matter how passionate the pros are - if they don’t have casuals who will play the game then they don’t have a game at all.

> 2533274873843883;19:
> None of this has anything to do with whether or not H5 can be used as a competitive platform. Any game can be. The question is whether or not H5 will get close enough to the H3 standard for the people who knew and loved that game. I sympathize with the fact that they liked that game and see no reason for Halo to change…
>
> But 343 has a responsibility to bring new people into the franchise. If lowering the bar to some degree can make it possible for a new player to get past the historically steep learning curve, then I’m personally OK with it. It doesn’t matter how passionate the pros are - if they don’t have casuals who will play the game then they don’t have a game at all.

Halo 3 still says hi, with it’s ranked and social playlists.