The Solution to Balance Sprint (NOT Remove it)

Quoting this from another thread I posted. I think we have, here, probably the best solution to balance sprint for both the anti-sprint and pro-sprint crowds. What do you guys think?

> 2592250499813579;10:
> > 2533274793867365;9:
> > I believe the solution to sprint is rather simple. It should behave like a sprint, your over all horizontal maneuverability should be severely limited. Most people when sprinting can only turn in wide arcs, and turning sharply is near impossible even for a super soldier, it is simple physics. Sprint should function in a few simple steps.
> >
> > - One you sprint shields do not recharge, this is a good feature keep it in.
> > - Once you start sprinting your ability to aim and shoot is taken away.
> > - You can move fast in a straight line, your ability to turn is limited to wide arc/slow turns.
> > - Strafing is impossible as your forward momentum prevents you from doing so.
> > These changes would make sprint a valuable map crossing mechanic, vehicle evasion mechanic, and bugging out mechanic. However, it would not be advisable to perform if the enemy has a bead on you, or there is not a clear path far enough to make changes before slamming into a wall.
>
> Agreed, would contribute to realism while making sprint more balanced.
>
> Another thing is, when you run full speed into a wall, it is going to stun you for a brief moment. I like that the shoulder charge mechanic does this to you, but I feel that if you hit a wall while sprinting it should:
> 1.) Knock you out of sprint immediately, forcing you to re-engage it
> and
> 2.) Stun/slow you for just a very brief moment, as you just faceplanted a wall/corner and need to regain your bearings (maybe 1/2 or 1/3 the time of the shoulder charge stun effect)
>
> This would make sprinting while under fire a much riskier choice unless you had a clear target you were sprinting for, as “panic sprinting” would likely get you killed when you run straight into a corner.

I think these are the most constructive solutions to the issue. As it would increase the skill needed to be aware of when to use sprint. Knocking into a wall would not only force a player to pay attention to where he is going. The limited mobility would decrease the cheapness of running away and turning sharp corners.

Sprint is already well balanced as it is because it delays shield regeneration. If you’re such a good shot then you should be more than capable of draining the target’s shields and then planting the headshot. Otherwise quit complaining, it’s perfect as it is.

Can we get some good discussion on this between the sprint haters and sprint lovers?

> 2533274824466008;3:
> Sprint is already well balanced as it is because it delays shield regeneration. If you’re such a good shot then you should be more than capable of draining the target’s shields and then planting the headshot. Otherwise quit complaining, it’s perfect as it is.

Completely disregarding my post and attacking an assumption, congrats. I don’t hate sprint and I’m not complaining. If it weren’t for the massive outcry against it, I wouldn’t even have thought anything about it.

But, in an attempt to bring the two sides to peace, and to offer constructive suggestions to 343i, I created this thread. Now, instead of flaming me for your assumptions, please contribute to meaningful discussion or leave the thread.

You will get no input because sprint has no place in Halo.

And when guys like you (nothing personal) try to nerf a feature that shouldnt even be in the game in the first place to the point where it is virtually rendered useless… You gotta say… Why is it even in the game?

As both a Halo lover and a fan of the sprint mechanic I think the proposed solution works very well. Personally, I would like it to be exactly the same as H4, I found that to be both helpful and hurtful in many situations. I don’t see this new look at the function being much different.

> 2533274822537587;5:
> You will get no input because sprint has no place in Halo.
>
> And when guys like you (nothing personal) try to nerf a feature that shouldnt even be in the game in the first place to the point where it is virtually rendered useless… You gotta say… Why is it even in the game?

Crawl out from under ur rock dude. Ur a spartan…fighting a war…they can run really F’ing fast. This look at sprint is a great balance for MP. However, in the SP the chief should be able to run at racehorse speeds.

That do you think about this solution: Sprint, Thruster, Charge, Hover, and Ground Pound are all tied together. They all activate the thruster cooldown period. Using one of the abilities requires you to wait for the cooldown to use an ability again. Hover and you can’t thruster or ground pound from that position, you fall straight down unless you clamber to a ledge. Charge and Sprint and you cant thruster for 4 seconds. It takes 4 seconds to reach full sprint speed after using thruster or charge. You can’t use thruster for 4 seconds after using ground pound, and all the combinations you can think of. They all use the same thruster energy pool. Most of the annoying engagements are because of the thruster peekaboo, and I see people sprint into a room full of bad guys and immediately thruster away to safety.

I find Sprint sufficiently balanced, it could use a bit more nerfing but it’s not terrible. What I do find OP is thrusters. Easy way to escape certain death.

I find Halo 4’s sprinting counterbalance more effective. Sure, your shields recharge while you’re sprinting, but if you try to sprint under fire, you’re slowed down so much that it’s as if you’re not even sprinting, but you still can’t shoot.

Agree with this in conjunction with how it already is in H5

> 2533275004372869;8:
> That do you think about this solution: Sprint, Thruster, Charge, Hover, and Ground Pound are all tied together. They all activate the thruster cooldown period. Using one of the abilities requires you to wait for the cooldown to use an ability again. Hover and you can’t thruster or ground pound from that position, you fall straight down unless you clamber to a ledge. Charge and Sprint and you cant thruster for 4 seconds. It takes 4 seconds to reach full sprint speed after using thruster or charge. You can’t use thruster for 4 seconds after using ground pound, and all the combinations you can think of. They all use the same thruster energy pool. Most of the annoying engagements are because of the thruster peekaboo, and I see people sprint into a room full of bad guys and immediately thruster away to safety.

Nice, that’s actually not a bad solution either. You see all of these abilities activate the thruster pack on the Spartan’s back when they use them, so it only makes sense that it would deplete this energy source as well. Sounds like a pretty fair solution, as about 90% of people who sprint away from the fight are going to use the Thrusters first.