The solution is so simple

Personally, I think nearly all the spartan abilities are absolutely fine and can work well, except sprint. I understand that they are going to try balance it with shields not recharging, but that isn’t really gonna fix it all too much.

Now the obvious thing to say here is “Just get rid of sprint”, but that isn’t an option now after how far they’ve progressed. Could you imagine playing a 2v2 on truth without sprint? Yea, that’s not going to work. 343 have probably created at least half of the maps that will release in the final game and they’re all designed to work with Spartan Abilities, so to just say remove sprint at this point is pointless. There’s no going back.

So then, if we’re stuck with sprint how do we balance it? It’s honestly quite simple. If you get shot while sprinting, it puts you back out of sprint. This isn’t a new revolutionary idea, in fact it was discussed back in Halo 4 to try balance sprint. Still to this day I can still not find a single con to this idea.

If you are playing on a BTB map, for example Valhalla and you get killed and spawn back at your base while the main battle is happening on the other side of the map, normally it can be quite boring walking all the way back to the battle only to be killed straight away again. If we had sprint then this problem would disappear and we could quickly get back into battle.

Now on the opposite side of the spectrum you are playing on a small map such as midship and you are in a 1v1 against somebody. You get them no shields and just before you go for the headshot, they spin around and sprint back into cover and you only manage a final burst in their back. Here if we made it so you get kicked out of sprint when shot, then you would’ve easily killed that person.

If we make it this way this will fix both the problems of making slow and boring gameplay (trying to walk around slowly finding enemies) as well as fixing the cat and mouse gameplay of sprinting away mid battle.

What does everyone think of this system?
Can you detect any flaws with this that I could not?

Hopefully if sprint is making for poor gameplay in the beta, 343 can implement this system into the final game.

Well, it isn’t going to be until late next year that the game comes out, so sprint can still be kicked out and maps can still be refitted. My only other problem with the SA’s is clamber. They basically discourage players to make those skill jumps because it would require sprint, and the clamber animation is long enough to get you weak or dead depending on your shield strength. If those two SA’s were scrapped, then they could really focus the maps on smaller, more manageable maps that have more of a map control aspect rather than sprinting around for power weapons and devaluing callouts. Just up the base movement speed.

> 2533274850524527;1:
> Personally, I think nearly all the spartan abilities are absolutely fine and can work well, except sprint. I understand that they are going to try balance it with shields not recharging, but that isn’t really gonna fix it all too much.
>
> Now the obvious thing to say here is “Just get rid of sprint”, but that isn’t an option now after how far they’ve progressed. Could you imagine playing a 2v2 on truth without sprint? Yea, that’s not going to work. 343 have probably created at least half of the maps that will release in the final game and they’re all designed to work with Spartan Abilities, so to just say remove sprint at this point is pointless. There’s no going back.
>
> So then, if we’re stuck with sprint how do we balance it? It’s honestly quite simple. If you get shot while sprinting, it puts you back out of sprint. This isn’t a new revolutionary idea, in fact it was discussed back in Halo 4 to try balance sprint. Still to this day I can still not find a single con to this idea.
>
> If you are playing on a BTB map, for example Valhalla and you get killed and spawn back at your base while the main battle is happening on the other side of the map, normally it can be quite boring walking all the way back to the battle only to be killed straight away again. If we had sprint then this problem would disappear and we could quickly get back into battle.
>
> Now on the opposite side of the spectrum you are playing on a small map such as midship and you are in a 1v1 against somebody. You get them no shields and just before you go for the headshot, they spin around and sprint back into cover and you only manage a final burst in their back. Here if we made it so you get kicked out of sprint when shot, then you would’ve easily killed that person.
>
> If we make it this way this will fix both the problems of making slow and boring gameplay (trying to walk around slowly finding enemies) as well as fixing the cat and mouse gameplay of sprinting away mid battle.
>
> What does everyone think of this system?
> Can you detect any flaws with this that I could not?
>
> Hopefully if sprint is making for poor gameplay in the beta, 343 can implement this system into the final game.

Interesting idea, and at least worth some consideration and internal testing. I remember Halo 1’s plasma pistol would seemingly stop you in your tracks. If not ‘take you out of Sprint’, maybe reduce your speed some?

With the state it in now, this would be overshooting a little.

As someone who got to play at Halo Fest pointed out, with the new balancing of sprint, when you see someone sprinting, they’re more than likely running away with no shields, so pop a few quick headshots (with what looks like the Halo 2 magnum?) for what will probably be an easy kill.

We just kill the Batman…

Clamber is really dumb. I don’t like the idea, the animation, the time of the animation, or the skill it weakens.

> 2533274883669557;5:
> As someone who got to play at Halo Fest pointed out, with the new balancing of sprint, when you see someone sprinting, they’re more than likely running away with no shields, so pop a few quick headshots (with what looks like the Halo 2 magnum?) for what will probably be an easy kill.

The catch is that we get huge maps like Big-aF-ship. It still slows down gameplay. Just increase the base movement speed, and the pace of the game will move much faster than when you have sprint.

If you sprints your shield doesn’t recharges, yes but to be honest when your in combat with sprint is easier to get away, making the enemy engage one of your teammates, that probably ends you in a grave, wich would make you angry at some point.

I honestly think we gotta wait until the beta and see how it’s gonna work first. Maybe it’s great, maybe it’s horrible. Either way they have a year to make changes.

> 2533274883669557;5:
> As someone who got to play at Halo Fest pointed out, with the new balancing of sprint, when you see someone sprinting, they’re more than likely running away with no shields, so pop a few quick headshots (with what looks like the Halo 2 magnum?) for what will probably be an easy kill.

The thing with this is because everyone’s just going to be sprinting around the map with no shields, the amount of assists is probably going to increase greatly. Imagine you’re in a 1v1 and you get the enemy to no shields, then they turn around and sprint away only to get killed by your teammate. I’ve got nothing against getting assists, but when everyone’s sprinting around with no shields it kind of makes each kill less meaningful. All you have to do is wait behind a corner and headshot enemies running away from previous encounters.

Awesome idea, recieving a hit slows or stops sprint. I like it.

To be knocked out of sprint from one bullet would actually make it more like Call of Duty where whoever shoots first wins. If you get knocked out of sprint immediately, then whoever has sights on you will kill you every time. A better solution would be to interrupt sprint for one second when your shields fully deplete. It still allows for player movement, the shields still don’t recharge while sprinting, and you are slowed down just enough but not too much if you can’t sprint for one second.

> 2533274820608837;7:
> Clamber is really dumb. I don’t like the idea, the animation, the time of the animation, or the skill it weakens.

This thread is about sprint and OP doesn’t even mention clamber. If you want to complain about clamber then make you own thread for it.

Well, with such an adjustment to sprint you would basically kill it as a movement mechanic.

Firstly, as a movement mechanic sprint boils down to allow you to perform quick charges as well as quick retreats during combat.
When taking damage would knock you out of sprint you won’t be able to perform either of them. So what will be its purpose then?
Flanking and closing distances faster outside of combat? Pointless/insignificant if you ask me.

Secondly, 343i would need to adjust the proportions and scales of all maps they have designed so far, what is an absurd task when you could already argue that sprint works just fine.
There is a reason why the maps are not only larger but also more open: because you have to offer longer sight durations when combining sprint with long killtimes.
One should consider that it was still fairly possible to successfully retreat in the classic Halos when getting caught in the open, it just required more “skillful footwork” than it does nowadays with sprint. Anyway, when you would now get caught in the open, try to retreat by sprinting to the next cover and get knocked out of it because you are under fire, you would very likely have to face a distance that is designed around sprint speed while trying to close it at base movement speed.

Lastly, getting prevented from sprinting/moving by the outside would feel just awful and frustrating in my opinion, likely even worse than experiencing flinch.

In conclusion, balancing things is of course important but balance isn’t everything when it comes to successfully designing and incorporating mechanics and eventually you can also balance/nerf things to death/irrelevance.
As it seems (to me) balance in regards to sprint won’t even be an issue in H5. As it seems sprint will be fairly balanced in it and also will get properly incorporated into its combat gameplay.
The issue I have with sprint is not even balance. What bothers me about it is that it kind of removes the finesse and significance of Halo’s classic smooth run n gun gameplay, its rhythmic combat dances that it has characterized and turns it more into a hectic and choppy run-shoot-run-shoot gameplay.
I simply do not see a place for it in Halo because of that. I think it does not even add immersion since it is just not supernatural enough what makes it in the end nothing more than a (quite controversial) convention.
Therefore there does also not exist a solution for sprint in Halo for me and all what the devs can actually do is allaying the issue sprint to a certain extent in Halo in my eyes, what they already did, likely in the “best” possible way, with linking sprint to shields.

Better idea: no sprint.

Sprint adds nothing beneficial to the game and creates a host of gameplay balance and map design problems. I don’t know why 343 needs more evidence after Reach/H4 that sprint is a bad idea.

sprint has been already unnecessarily nerfed, and the rest of spartan abilities is awesome

Oh yeah, I made plenty of posts about this for Halo 4 as well. If you get hit, you drop sprint for 2-3 seconds.

> 2592250499807011;16:
> Better idea: no sprint.
>
> Sprint adds nothing beneficial to the game and creates a host of gameplay balance and map design problems. I don’t know why 343 needs more evidence after Reach/H4 that sprint is a bad idea.

Personally I actually quite like sprint, but only to get to the battles (mainly in btb). If sprint worked this way then it would still be useful when you can’t find anyone, but once you’ve engaged in a battle there would be no escaping. On most of the smaller 4v4 maps sprint would become nearly useless and as such wouldn’t affect the map design at all.

> 2533274850524527;19:
> > 2592250499807011;16:
> > Better idea: no sprint.
> >
> > Sprint adds nothing beneficial to the game and creates a host of gameplay balance and map design problems. I don’t know why 343 needs more evidence after Reach/H4 that sprint is a bad idea.
>
>
> Personally I actually quite like sprint, but only to get to the battles (mainly in btb). If sprint worked this way then it would still be useful when you can’t find anyone, but once you’ve engaged in a battle there would be no escaping. On most of the smaller 4v4 maps sprint would become nearly useless and as such wouldn’t affect the map design at all.

I actually agree that sprint can work well in BtB; but that’s largely because the maps are typically very large, vehicles dominate, and it’s not a competitive gametype. Sprint acts as an effective tool in BtB to balance out vehicles (since you can get away more easily) and keep the pace up in combat.

I disagree that the mechanic in the OP would make sprint nearly useless in smaller 4v4 games, though. I just don’t see ANY benefit from sprint for competitive modes. In addition to not seeing any benefits, I see the following problems:
-Even with OP’s suggested mechanic, it will still occasionally enable people to get away from situations where they should die because they did something dumb.
-It enables you to pick up a power weapon and much more quickly set up with that weapon at a control point elsewhere on the map. This IMO is the problem it creates for map design.
-It enables you to rush a power weapon without having to be near the power weapon’s spawn attempting to control it. Again, a map design and map control problem.

The only thing I could see argued as a benefit is that people perceive Halo as “slow” after spending time with CoD/BF/etc, but I’d argue that’s just a perceived problem and not an actual one.