The Slipspace Engine

Does anybody have any ideas what the Slipspace Engine will be capable of? Based from what I saw in the trailer, the Engine will have amazing graphical capabilities, large environments, and maybe some advanced A.I scripting. I believe that 343 Industries is hiding what other things the Engine is capable of and they will probably release small doses of information in the following months. Maybe the Engine will support playable Elites? Who knows. I am pretty excited for this Engine and I hope it will be the next Source Engine in terms of wow factor.

I believe it is capable of fully autonomous AI and will mark the take over of man kind by computers.

I hope we get lots of wildlife.

I don’t think playable Elites was ever limited by the engine. That is to say, I don’t think Halo 4 and 5 lacked playable Elites because of the engine, but rather because of a conscious decision not to put them in the game that way.

I’m sure the Slipspace engine will be capable of havin playable Elites; whether Infinite will feature them is another story.

> 2535473219036906;2:
> I believe it is capable of fully autonomous AI and will mark the take over of man kind by computers.

So the Engine was made by Cortana and her Created forces?

> 2533274817408735;4:
> I don’t think playable Elites was ever limited by the engine. That is to say, I don’t think Halo 4 and 5 lacked playable Elites because of the engine, but rather because of a conscious decision not to put them in the game that way.
>
> I’m sure the Slipspace engine will be capable of havin playable Elites; whether Infinite will feature them is another story.

Its a beatiful notice The slipspace is OP!

Don’t think they’ve released any details yet. I’m hoping for destructible environments and real time physics.

> 2533275031939856;7:
> Don’t think they’ve released any details yet. I’m hoping for destructible environments and real time physics.

Me too

> 2533275031939856;7:
> Don’t think they’ve released any details yet. I’m hoping for destructible environments and real time physics.

I always find the term “destructable environments” very vague. In every Bungie Halo title after the first, you could blow up barrels, crates, pallets, vehicles, small structures (such as the Covenant sniper towers), even walls and doors of larger buildings (like the bollard compartments on Metropolis). So when you say that you’re hoping for destructable environments, to what extent?

> 2533275031939856;7:

What do you even mean by “real time physics”? It’s not like you can make an FPS without real time physics.

> 2535415876049274;9:
> > 2533275031939856;7:
> > Don’t think they’ve released any details yet. I’m hoping for destructible environments and real time physics.
>
> I always find the term “destructable environments” very vague. In every Bungie Halo title after the first, you could blow up barrels, crates, pallets, vehicles, small structures (such as the Covenant sniper towers), even walls and doors of larger buildings (like the bollard compartments on Metropolis). So when you say that you’re hoping for destructable environments, to what extent?

I wouldn’t go too crazy with it. Just a step further than what we already have. For example being able to melee a door, denting it, maybe if you hit it enough times it’ll pop off. Shooting a pillar with an assault rifle would chip away at the concrete like in Cyberpunk 2077. Basically I wouldn’t want to be able to just blow up an entire base because that would ruin level design but make environmental damage more realistic with debris and dust flying everywhere and whatnot instead of just a little bullet texture on top of a surface after you shoot it.

> 2533274825830455;10:
> > 2533275031939856;7:
> > Don’t think they’ve released any details yet. I’m hoping for destructible environments and real time physics.
>
> What do you even mean by “real time physics”? It’s not like you can make an FPS without real time physics.

Maybe the world I’m looking for is dynamic? I don’t know, I’m not savvy with engine terminology. What I mean is fine detail stuff like sand or snow reacting realistically to being walked/ran on or if you threw a grenade the sand/snow would fly up and come back down in a realistic manner. Or if there was something that recently blew up like a vehicle and the smoke from the fire would rise and move based on what’s in/happening in the environment like if it were under a bridge the smoke would rise up to the bottom of the bridge and then move around it. I’d imagine to have that kind of realism you’d need ridiculous firepower though which the XB1 probably can’t provide.

> 2533275031939856;11:
> > 2533274825830455;10:
> > > 2533275031939856;7:
> > > Don’t think they’ve released any details yet. I’m hoping for destructible environments and real time physics.
> >
> > What do you even mean by “real time physics”? It’s not like you can make an FPS without real time physics.
>
> Maybe the world I’m looking for is dynamic? I don’t know, I’m not savvy with engine terminology. What I mean is fine detail stuff like sand or snow reacting realistically to be walked/ran in or if you threw a grenade the sand/snow would fly up and come back down in a realistic manner. Or if there was something that recently blew up like a vehicle and the smoke from the fire would rise and move based on what’s in/happening in the environment like if it were under a bridge the smoke would rise up to the bottom of the bridge and then move around it. I’d imagine to have that kind of realism you’d need ridiculous firepower though which the XB1 probably can’t provide.

I guess I would say that you simply want more visual effects that are physics based, i.e., that can interact with and be affected by the environments and entities. I’m not sure there’s a more concise way of expressing it in an understandable way.

> 2533274825830455;12:
> > 2533275031939856;11:
> > > 2533274825830455;10:
> > > > 2533275031939856;7:
> > > > Don’t think they’ve released any details yet. I’m hoping for destructible environments and real time physics.
> > >
> > > What do you even mean by “real time physics”? It’s not like you can make an FPS without real time physics.
> >
> > Maybe the world I’m looking for is dynamic? I don’t know, I’m not savvy with engine terminology. What I mean is fine detail stuff like sand or snow reacting realistically to be walked/ran in or if you threw a grenade the sand/snow would fly up and come back down in a realistic manner. Or if there was something that recently blew up like a vehicle and the smoke from the fire would rise and move based on what’s in/happening in the environment like if it were under a bridge the smoke would rise up to the bottom of the bridge and then move around it. I’d imagine to have that kind of realism you’d need ridiculous firepower though which the XB1 probably can’t provide.
>
> I guess I would say that you simply want more visual effects that are physics based, i.e., that can interact with and be affected by the environments and entities. I’m not sure there’s a more concise way of expressing it in an understandable way.

I think it’d also be cool if armour reacted realistically to being hit. Like if you shot an elites helmet with a sniper or shotgun it would blow off into pieces. Same with any body part. Or if you cut someone with an energy sword it would cleanly cut the armour apart and leave a big burn in the victim. Or hell go all the way and be able to slice enemies into pieces, Metal Gear Rising style.

> 2533275031939856;13:
> > 2533274825830455;12:
> > > 2533275031939856;11:
> > > > 2533274825830455;10:
> > > > > 2533275031939856;7:
> > > > > Don’t think they’ve released any details yet. I’m hoping for destructible environments and real time physics.
> > > >
> > > > What do you even mean by “real time physics”? It’s not like you can make an FPS without real time physics.
>
> I think it’d also be cool if armour reacted realistically to being hit. Like if you shot an elites helmet with a sniper or shotgun it would blow off into pieces. Same with any body part. Or if you cut someone with an energy sword it would cleanly cut the armour apart and leave a big burn in the victim. Or hell go all the way and be able to slice enemies into pieces, Metal Gear Rising style.

I’d like to see nods to certain novel scenes in gameplay (shattering Elite skulls with melee strikes, sniper-rifle decapitation), but I think utter dismemberment from their torso may harm the dramatic effect the flood give off - if they return.

> 2533275031939856;13:
> I think it’d also be cool if armour reacted realistically to being hit. Like if you shot an elites helmet with a sniper or shotgun it would blow off into pieces. Same with any body part. Or if you cut someone with an energy sword it would cleanly cut the armour apart and leave a big burn in the victim. Or hell go all the way and be able to slice enemies into pieces, Metal Gear Rising style.

I don’t think we’ll ever get to the point where body parts are blown apart or cut off in Halo (outside of the Flood). That’s never been what the franchise was about. The idea about contextual damage showin on armor is inrteresting, though it would need to be done in a way that doesn’t change the mechanics of enemies who rely on energy shields. We don’t want our Elites turning into Brutes with how their armor works.

> 2533274817408735;15:
> > 2533275031939856;13:
> > I think it’d also be cool if armour reacted realistically to being hit. Like if you shot an elites helmet with a sniper or shotgun it would blow off into pieces. Same with any body part. Or if you cut someone with an energy sword it would cleanly cut the armour apart and leave a big burn in the victim. Or hell go all the way and be able to slice enemies into pieces, Metal Gear Rising style.
>
> I don’t think we’ll ever get to the point where body parts are blown apart or cut off in Halo (outside of the Flood). That’s never been what the franchise was about. The idea about contextual damage showin on armor is inrteresting, though it would need to be done in a way that doesn’t change the mechanics of enemies who rely on energy shields. We don’t want our Elites turning into Brutes with how their armor works.

Very true. Maybe not limbs flying off but I’d still like it if they tried to incorporate the armour damage though in some way. I didn’t think about shields, they’d definitely have to be careful about it.

> 2535415876049274;9:
> > 2533275031939856;7:
>
> I always find the term “destructable environments” very vague. In every Bungie Halo title after the first, you could blow up barrels, crates, pallets, vehicles, small structures (such as the Covenant sniper towers), even walls and doors of larger buildings (like the bollard compartments on Metropolis). So when you say that you’re hoping for destructable environments, to what extent?

I think 5 years ago, these points would be pretty valid. In current times, destructable environments to myself, my friends, and all my work colleagues pretty much universally means what frostbite is capable of.

I’m very excited about slipspace because watching frostbite evolve from launch shows what awesome features can spring from a proprietary engine being iterated on can do for a franchise :slight_smile:

Sounds like the capabilities of the BLAM! engine. It’d be interesting to watch a GDC panel on Slipspace that details all of its possibilities. The Bungie engineering director, Chris Butcher, did an interview in 2016 at Handmade Con where he was discussing the history and tribulations of the Tiger engine, and apparently he thought that the updated Halo engine was still pretty capable (he actually made it sound more capable than Tiger by comparison). So it really would be cool if 343 did something which accurately detailed the advantages of the new engine given all of the hype surrounding it.

I just want to know how fast this engine is and how much stellar drift there is? Oh yea and how much it takes to get to the distention once in slipspace?

XD, be neat to hear more about the engine. Like if they focused on smarter AI so we can have challenging enemies to fight. And if the engine has new features that allow more things going on like large amount of AI and participle effects. Or hey new engine allows a lot of new things in Forge like weather or player made AI pathing.