The Role of Forerunner Weapons in Multiplayer

Recently, there have been a lot of posts about ideas for new Forerunner weapons for multiplayer. I enjoyed to read through them and even suggested my own ideas in some of them but then I have been starting to think about if it is actually ‘right’ how Forerunner weapons are currently implanted into multiplayer.

Currently, Forerunner weapons are either on ‘par’ (ICannon, Binary Rifle, Lightrifle) or even inferior (Scattershot, Suppressor) to their counterparts.
I know that is mostly because you have to balance them for the sandbox but nevertheless we are still talking about Forerunner weapons. Weapons that are created with highly advanced and superior Forerunner technology but I think in their current state they are not doing the superior Forerunner technology justice, aside their aesthetics.

That is why I think ALL Forerunner weapons should be the ultimate power weapons.
Instead of trying to include and fit them into weapon classes like loadout weapons, power weapons and heavy power weapons, make them their own class ‘Forerunner Weapons’. With giving the Forerunner weapons their own class, you could create more unique and special weapons instead of similar copies of other already existing weapons only because they have to fit into a certain class.
Don’t get me wrong I do not want them to be extremely overpowered but I want them to be superior to their ‘counterparts’.

Now how could you implant such powerful and superior weapons into multiplayer?
Of course they have to be really rare but everyone should have an equal chance to get them.
Such a Forerunner weapon should spawn once or perhaps even twice during a match via a Global Ordnance Drop. Of course that GOD (I think that acronym fits perfectly) would not be random. Around one minute before the incoming Ordnance, a waypoint would appear on everyone’s HUD that is leading to a fair location where the Forerunner weapon will be dropped.
In the end the team or individual that can control the location gets the weapon and has the chance to sow doom over its enemies.

To sum up, in my opinion, Forerunner weapons should either be the crème de la crème of the power weapons in multiplayer, primarily to do the superior Forerunner tech justice or should be taken out of it completely, kept for Campaign, Firefight/ SpOps only and focus multiplayer on UNSC and Covenant weaponry.

Now what do you think about that?
Feel free to comment, suggest or criticize as long as it is constructive and related to the topic.

I like your idea, OP. Take away unoriginal weapons with a few little effects, fill their gap with weapons we want to see return (ODST SMG, Plasma Rifle, etc), and add new arsenal of powerful forerunner weapons that would be really rare to get in multiplayer or be exclusive to Campaign/firefight/SpOps.

I would certainly prefer your idea over the boring reskins in Halo 4. Out of an otherwise stellar weapon Sandbox, Forerunner weapons disappointed. The only remotely unique weapon is the BoltShot and that was BS in multiplayer. I think the Suppressor should be replaced with a laser weapon or something else that is different and at least one of the power weapons too (Scattershot, Binary Rifle, Incendiary Canon). And yes, making them actually befit the Forerunner legacy will help.

Guns like the Light Rifle are here to stay, although perhaps boring play an important role in the sandbox. Without them Forerunner enemies would all have to use power weapons relegating them to special units in campaign instead of the main opposition. The Light Rifle is fairly unique in the sandbox 1 shot zoomed in 3 out is pretty cool. The Bolt Shot’s secondary mode is also neat. Incineration Cannon and Scattershot are interesting weapons as well. I would like to see more high powered Forerunner weapons even if they were limited to Player v Enemy gamemodes.

> Guns like the Light Rifle are here to stay, although perhaps boring play an important role in the sandbox. Without them Forerunner enemies would all have to use power weapons relegating them to special units in campaign instead of the main opposition. The Light Rifle is fairly unique in the sandbox 1 shot zoomed in 3 out is pretty cool. The Bolt Shot’s secondary mode is also neat. Incineration Cannon and Scattershot are interesting weapons as well. I would like to see more high powered Forerunner weapons even if they were limited to Player v Enemy gamemodes.

Well, I think the Prometheans can still be one of the main opposition, even though all would have power weapons.
Let’s take the Knights as an example.
I think in their current state they are sadly more or less just predictable bulletsponges that are only dangerous in their encounter when they melee you or use their current power weapons.
Now with giving them for example a Light Rifle that can kill you with 3 shots in case of a headshot, making their teleportation ability and encounters less predictable and keeping them resistant (current bulletsponges) to UNSC and Covenant weapons but making them prone to their own, what would make sense as well, you would probably have deadly, smart and challenging enemies.
Of course they would hard to fight with UNSC and Covenant weapons now but once you get your hands on a Forerunner weapon things would even out.
Besides, I think giving Crawlers stronger weapons would help them as well. Currently, if they are not supported by Watchers they are easier to fight than Grunts in my opinion.

So in conclusion, I think even Campaign or something like Firefight or SpOps could profit from stronger Forerunner weapons.

In addition, I agree with you that the Light Rifle and Boltshot are kind of unique. However, I would much rather see them as power weapons, especially the Light Rifle. You could keep the Light Rifle’s unique fire mode and maybe make it a 3sk when scoped and a 4sk when un-scoped.
But I think the Incineration Cannon is more or less a Rocket Launcher and the Scattershot, well, is a inconsistent Shotgun with a ricochet-effect that is either ineffective or in most situations useless. Nevertheless, it is funny to watch people accidentally disintegrate themselfs with the Scattershot.

I’ve also thought of this idea and like the way you explained that they should be on a different tier than loadout weapons. I’ve always thought that Halo 4’s Promethean arsenal were watered-down to allow for more variation in loadouts, but it isn’t consistent with what they’re trying to do. They want to make Prometheans a greater threat than the Covenant ever was, but resorted to balancing them into the same level threat. In response to how to prevent things like Crawlers from having overpowered weapons, that can be remedied by giving them a variant of Suppressor built in and non-retrievable (same can go for Watchers). Alternatively, they can just have fewer Crawlers/Watchers at any time.

For multiplayer, I think the Promethean standards like the Suppressor and Light Rifle should be treated and balanced as more powerful variants (I like your idea for a 3sk LR when zoomed), but don’t feel that those particular weapons deserve the “GOD” treatment, but could still be important weapons to control on the map. The Binary Rifle, on the other hand, is already a brilliant weapon that met my expectations of what a Forerunner would use, and so that and improved/re-invented Scattershot and Incin. Cannon would do nicely for that purpose.

Aside from standard multiplayer modes, I’d like to see a return of Invasion and Invasion Slayer, as i could see the UNSC and “Storm” Covenant fight over weapons caches of Promethean weaponry. Another thought that occurred to me is that the current Prometheans were designed to combat the Flood specifically… What if the Didact redesigned/fine-tuned them and some of their weapons to be more effective against his current enemy, Humanity?

I think a good way to make the Incineration Cannon more differential to the Rocket Launcher and/or Fuel Rod Cannon would be to make it function similarly to the Missile Pod of Halo 3 e.g. locking onto enemy vehicles (and possibly infantry in this case). It could be a support weapon like the Chaingun or Plasma Cannon that isn’t mounted at any point in multiplayer, thus having finite ammunition. Alternatively, it could behave similarly to the Plasma Launcher of Halo: Reach… Just a thought.

Agreed,

All Forerunner weapons should be power weapons.

The Scatter Shot and Suppressor are a Joke.

The Scatter Shot, Suppressor should be feared when seen.

The Binary Rifle and Incinerator Cannon both have this affect.

> I’ve also thought of this idea and like the way you explained that they should be on a different tier than loadout weapons. I’ve always thought that Halo 4’s Promethean arsenal were watered-down to allow for more variation in loadouts, but it isn’t consistent with what they’re trying to do. They want to make Prometheans a greater threat than the Covenant ever was, but resorted to balancing them into the same level threat. In response to how to prevent things like Crawlers from having overpowered weapons, that can be remedied by giving them a variant of Suppressor built in and non-retrievable (same can go for Watchers). Alternatively, they can just have fewer Crawlers/Watchers at any time.
>
> For multiplayer, I think the Promethean standards like the Suppressor and Light Rifle should be treated and balanced as more powerful variants (I like your idea for a 3sk LR when zoomed), but don’t feel that those particular weapons deserve the “GOD” treatment, but could still be important weapons to control on the map. The Binary Rifle, on the other hand, is already a brilliant weapon that met my expectations of what a Forerunner would use, and so that and improved/re-invented Scattershot and Incin. Cannon would do nicely for that purpose.
>
> Aside from standard multiplayer modes, I’d like to see a return of Invasion and Invasion Slayer, as i could see the UNSC and “Storm” Covenant fight over weapons caches of Promethean weaponry. Another thought that occurred to me is that the current Prometheans were designed to combat the Flood specifically… What if the Didact redesigned/fine-tuned them and some of their weapons to be more effective against his current enemy, Humanity?

I really like your idea about Invasion.
However, of course you would have to make sure that the weapon caches are balanced to give a team still the chance to turn the game around or to capture the next weapon cache and gets not directly stomped and dominated after the other team got his hands on the powerful Forerunner weapon(s).

In addition to your last thought, I think because of the fact the weapons were designed to combat the Flood they are already deadly enough to humanity. I mean the weapons disintegrate the entire target to ensure the elimination of every single infected cell or spore. How deadly can a weapon get for a organic being? :wink:
Besides, the average human body is already very vulnerable.
Nevertheless, I like where your mind is going.

> > I’ve also thought of this idea and like the way you explained that they should be on a different tier than loadout weapons. I’ve always thought that Halo 4’s Promethean arsenal were watered-down to allow for more variation in loadouts, but it isn’t consistent with what they’re trying to do. They want to make Prometheans a greater threat than the Covenant ever was, but resorted to balancing them into the same level threat. In response to how to prevent things like Crawlers from having overpowered weapons, that can be remedied by giving them a variant of Suppressor built in and non-retrievable (same can go for Watchers). Alternatively, they can just have fewer Crawlers/Watchers at any time.
> >
> > For multiplayer, I think the Promethean standards like the Suppressor and Light Rifle should be treated and balanced as more powerful variants (I like your idea for a 3sk LR when zoomed), but don’t feel that those particular weapons deserve the “GOD” treatment, but could still be important weapons to control on the map. The Binary Rifle, on the other hand, is already a brilliant weapon that met my expectations of what a Forerunner would use, and so that and improved/re-invented Scattershot and Incin. Cannon would do nicely for that purpose.
> >
> > Aside from standard multiplayer modes, I’d like to see a return of Invasion and Invasion Slayer, as i could see the UNSC and “Storm” Covenant fight over weapons caches of Promethean weaponry. Another thought that occurred to me is that the current Prometheans were designed to combat the Flood specifically… What if the Didact redesigned/fine-tuned them and some of their weapons to be more effective against his current enemy, Humanity?
>
> I really like your idea about Invasion.
> However, of course you would have to make sure that the weapon caches are balanced to give a team still the chance to turn the game around or to capture the next weapon cache and gets not directly stomped and dominated after the other team got his hands on the powerful Forerunner weapon(s).
>
> In addition to your last thought, I think because of the fact the weapons were designed to combat the Flood they are already deadly enough to humanity. I mean the weapons disintegrate the entire target to ensure the elimination of every single infected cell or spore. How deadly can a weapon get for a organic being? :wink:
> Besides, the average human body is already very vulnerable.
> Nevertheless, I like where your mind is going.

By the Promethean design changing, I was referring to how the Knights fought. Their tactics against the Flood were to burrow into an infected ship’s hull and destroy it from within (as shown in one of the Terminals) and their weapons’ design was based around area-of-effect damage in many cases (Scattershot/Incineration Cannon/Pulse Grenade). They were up against a purely organic threat, which Humanity is not, nor are we in as numerous hordes as the Flood. I think the disintegration is a good aspect of a weapon against any enemy, but in regards to how some of the weapons behave (firing rate, spread, etc.), I feel that the Promethean arsenal could be tweaked to be more effective against the UNSC.

> By the Promethean design changing, I was referring to how the Knights fought. Their tactics against the Flood were to burrow into an infected ship’s hull and destroy it from within (as shown in one of the Terminals) and their weapons’ design was based around area-of-effect damage in many cases (Scattershot/Incineration Cannon/Pulse Grenade). They were up against a purely organic threat, which Humanity is not, nor are we in as numerous hordes as the Flood. I think the disintegration is a good aspect of a weapon against any enemy, but in regards to how some of the weapons behave (firing rate, spread, etc.), I feel that the Promethean arsenal could be tweaked to be more effective against the UNSC.

I guess I misread something then.
I understand your thought now but could you explain to me how you think in which way they could be tweaked to be more effective against humans? Do you mean that the weapons could be more accurate for example?

In addition, I think all Forerunner weapons should have this ‘disintegration-effect’.

> > By the Promethean design changing, I was referring to how the Knights fought. Their tactics against the Flood were to burrow into an infected ship’s hull and destroy it from within (as shown in one of the Terminals) and their weapons’ design was based around area-of-effect damage in many cases (Scattershot/Incineration Cannon/Pulse Grenade). They were up against a purely organic threat, which Humanity is not, nor are we in as numerous hordes as the Flood. I think the disintegration is a good aspect of a weapon against any enemy, but in regards to how some of the weapons behave (firing rate, spread, etc.), I feel that the Promethean arsenal could be tweaked to be more effective against the UNSC.
>
> I guess I misread something then.
> I understand your thought now but could you explain to me how you think in which way they could be tweaked to be more effective against humans? <mark>Do you mean that the weapons could be more accurate for example?</mark>
>
> In addition, I think <mark>all Forerunner weapons should have this ‘disintegration-effect’</mark>.

For many of them, yes. The Suppressor and Scattershot seem to be designed for combat against multiple targets (Infection forms, perhaps?), but Humans are fewer in number and larger targets with a definite weak spot (the head). The Binary Rifle is a good example of just how deadly Promethean tech can be against Humans.

Also, I agree that all of their weapons should have that disintegration effect. :slight_smile:

> > I guess I misread something then.
> > I understand your thought now but could you explain to me how you think in which way they could be tweaked to be more effective against humans? <mark>Do you mean that the weapons could be more accurate for example?</mark>
> >
> > In addition, I think <mark>all Forerunner weapons should have this ‘disintegration-effect’</mark>.
>
> For many of them, yes. The Suppressor and Scattershot seem to be designed for combat against multiple targets (Infection forms, perhaps?), but Humans are fewer in number and larger targets with a definite weak spot (the head). The Binary Rifle is a good example of just how deadly Promethean tech can be against Humans.
>
> Also, I agree that all of their weapons should have that disintegration effect. :slight_smile:

I exactly thought about the Suppressor and Scattershot and their possibly reasons for their design as well when I was asking you this question. :slight_smile:

So, what do you think could/should change (if anything) about the Incineration Cannon?

> So, what do you think could/should change (if anything) about the Incineration Cannon?

I think it is fine now, I even make it more powerful, with an even slower reload time than it currently does.

I love to see dissolve vehicles as well.

> So, what do you think could/should change (if anything) about the Incineration Cannon?

Well, that’s a tricky question. Currently, the Incineration Cannon is more or less a Forerunner reskin of the Rocket Launcher. Of course you could add some kind of target-locking-system for vehicles and infantry like you suggested but then you would probably have more or less a Forerunner reskin of the Plasma Launcher.

So maybe we would have to redesign the Incineration Cannon to make it more different, preferably slightly in aesthetics as well then.

As a suggestion, instead of firing a hard light ‘rocket’ it could possibly shoot something like a concentrated energy impulse that disintegrate every single living being with that it gets in contact on its way until it hits hard surface or goes out of the map. In case of vehicles it could only affect the occupants and would let stay the vehicle intact and unaffected. I think that would be kind of unique.

> I think it is fine now, I even make it more powerful, with an even slower reload time than it currently does.
>
> I love to see dissolve vehicles as well.

Sure it is actually fine how it is but it is not really significant different to its ‘counterparts’.

I don’t know, disintegrating vehicles would be kind of meaningless in my opinion since that effect has been probably designed for eliminating every single infected cell or Flood spore.

> As a suggestion, instead of firing a hard light ‘rocket’ it could possibly shoot something like a concentrated energy impulse that disintegrate every single living being with that it gets in contact on its way until it hits hard surface or goes out of the map. In case of vehicles it could only affect the occupants and would let stay the vehicle intact and unaffected. I think that would be kind of unique.

That sounds a lot like an infantry-specific Spartan Laser the way I read it (cool nonetheless). I really do think we need another heavy weapon in the game designed to excel at vehicular destruction (like the Spartan Laser), though, as the Rockets’ projectile move too slowly to do so. Then again, one designed to handle infantry specifically is a nice twist.

> > As a suggestion, instead of firing a hard light ‘rocket’ it could possibly shoot something like a concentrated energy impulse that disintegrate every single living being with that it gets in contact on its way until it hits hard surface or goes out of the map. In case of vehicles it could only affect the occupants and would let stay the vehicle intact and unaffected. I think that would be kind of unique.
>
> That sounds a lot like an infantry-specific Spartan Laser the way I read it (cool nonetheless). I really do think we need another heavy weapon in the game designed to excel at vehicular destruction (like the Spartan Laser), though, as the Rockets’ projectile move too slowly to do so. Then again, one designed to handle infantry specifically is a nice twist.

Well, I imagined it more to rather shoot an concentrated impulse wave than an concentrated beam like the Spartan Laser does. Nonetheless it would travel pretty fast.
And like you said a heavy power weapon that would kill infantry specifically, even in vehicles but would not destroy or affect them, would be a nice twist. :wink:

However, I agree with you that another heavy power weapon, aside the Spartan Laser, that is specifically designed to destroy vehicles would be nice to see/have, especially from an other faction.

> Well, I imagined it more to rather shoot an concentrated impulse wave than an concentrated beam like the Spartan Laser does. Nonetheless it would travel pretty fast.
> And like you said a heavy power weapon that would kill infantry specifically, even in vehicles but would not destroy or affect them, would be a nice twist. :wink:
>
> However, I agree with you that another heavy power weapon, aside the Spartan Laser, that is specifically designed to destroy vehicles would be nice to see/have, especially from an other faction.

That said, they could bring back the Plasma Launcher… as well as include your idea.

I love, love, love the idea in hindsight.

Except for two things. First of all, it’s just too late. I realize that gameplay isn’t canon, but it’d be weird for it to change that much between Halo 4 to 5.

And the other thing is that I think that had they done this, human weapons (and alien weapons, too) should have slowly become as powerful, or surpass, Forerunner weapons while armor and defense systems also improved.

Basically, I wish they did this, and as the Reclaimer trilogy progressed - that they’d slowly start having other (non Forerunner) species technology improve until they’re just as good.

That’d be great for the story. Oh well, it’s too late. They could implement some of this, but they’d basically have to remove a couple of the existing Forerunner weapons…