The reworked reach & cea engine for halo 4

We have media confirmation of a reworked Halo engine for Halo 4. Now does this relate to having a major foundation for graphics, netcode, game play mechanics etc?

-EDIT-
Just as I had posted jump to 46 seconds and you’ll hear Frankie himself speak of original kernel pieces from Halo CE in the engine still.

Halo CE kernel can still be found in Halo 4 engine, same as Halo 2, Halo 3, ODST & Reach.

As I said I have no issues with the reworking and re-purposing of game engine, game mechanics, artworks, models etc etc.

After seeing the ViDoc I’m really quite impressed so far. The graphics are looking to be the absolute best the 360 can produce and it was looking as smooth as Halo as has at 30 fps too.

Well played 343i, I as already looking forward to your work but now just that little bit more excited.
-EDIT-

I believe we are going to see Halo 4 with an amalgamation of CEA engine upgrades plus 343i experience combined with base Reach engine and custom upgrades. I was hoping for a new engine that would enable Halo 4 on new consoles but I now believe we’re going to see the sort of iteration improvements that occurred from Halo 3 to ODST and then Reach with just the 360.

In my opinion the graphics and game innovations will be AAA grade but there is little room in terms of game engine performance for Halo 4. This is due to current generation Xbox 360 limitations.

I just do not see the same leaps and bounds available in the current console. There is no direct X 11 support so graphics will rely more on art style than performance available. If AI is ramped up then other areas of the game engine will suffer. In the current generation the engine is all about balance with give and take for various elements that deliver our gaming experience.

I am holding out hope for one of two things:

  1. The media embargo being lifted is not just revealing Halo 4 but a new console to enable leaps and bounds of he game engine itself for the next 10 years of Halo.

OR…

  1. 343i are pulling out all the stops and are hitting a magic formula of gameplay where my awareness of the 360 limitations are distracted. Reach has the very best netcode of any game period. Graphics wise things are A grade but not AAA, AI and bullet sponges on legendary are cheap at best due to resource and therefore engine limitations. All of that added up to a once through on campaign and a splinter multiplayer base. I hope for far better with Halo 4.

CEA’s engine is worse than Reach’s in every conceivable way. 343 are, to the best of my knowledge, simply improving the Reach tech. Which makes sense, after the bugs are ironed out it’ll be as perfect as a Halo engine will ever be on the 360.

343 have said that they are not using Halo CEA’s engine.

If you think about Reach which came out in 2010 with development techniques before that time, I think there is enough dev tricks up 343’s sleeves to make a nice improvement in 2012. It’s been mentioned before, improved Reach engine will be used. I wouldn’t worry about it, they upgrade and change things all the time. It’s probably vastly different now.

There really isn’t many games or a game that beats Bungie’s all round presentation and quality with physics, AI, lighting and those sky boxes! Halo just shines and is really underrated in technical performance as it does so many things well at the same time rather than one specific eye candy that other games do. Reach engine was probably a fantastic starting base to work from as were other Halo engines. Devs learn and improve. Always an ongoing process.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they do a Halo 4 Turn it up to 11 next gen version for the new console in 2013. Max the graphics, chuck in the DLC, 1080p. Would be a nice bargain launch title.

They wont be using the CEA engine as it IS the original H:CE engine, with an addidtional grahpics layer on top.

It will be a heavily modified version of the engine used in Reach which was a modified version of the one used in Halo 3 and so on.

I’m already aware they won’t use the CEA engine directly, I was referring to code libraries, experience, shaders etc which most likely point to the fact we have already seen the graphical capabilities of 343i and their halo game experience.

Sure 3 years development will have some surprises but I just don’t think it’s going to be earth shattering like a next gen title could be.

I hope to eat my words though.

> I’m already aware they won’t use the CEA engine directly, I was referring to code libraries, experience, shaders etc which most likely point to the fact we have already seen the graphical capabilities of 343i and their halo game experience.
>
> Sure 3 years development will have some surprises but I just don’t think it’s going to be earth shattering like a next gen title could be.
>
> I hope to eat my words though.

I don’t think you understand what you’re talking about.

> I don’t think you understand what you’re talking about.

I understand plenty, the assimilation of information in replies for this thread is woeful.

Do you all not think CEA was for 343 to cut their teeth on a Halo game and engine before tackling Halo 4?

I know the Reach engine is the base for Halo 4 engine but developers use snippets, routines, shaders, logic, artwork etc either directly or as reference material. This thread is about how much experience from CEA is being combined with the Reach engine and then how much customization is going on top of that?

Next time read, assimilate and reply with more than a one liner.

> I’m already aware they won’t use the CEA engine directly, I was referring to code libraries, experience, shaders etc which most likely point to the fact we have already seen the graphical capabilities of 343i and their halo game experience.
>
> Sure 3 years development will have some surprises but I just don’t think it’s going to be earth shattering like a next gen title could be.
>
> I hope to eat my words though.

CEA’s graphics were limited by the CE engine. There’s really no point in even mentioning it - that game was simply a gift to the more nostalgic fans, it’s useless as an example by which to judge 343.

What we do have, on the plus side, is a series of Halo maps Certain Affinity have produced for Halo over the years, and they’re certainly encouraging. Then there’s 343’s various info releases and interviews, their concept art and their experience - it would be ludicrous not to give them provisional assent.

> > I don’t think you understand what you’re talking about.
>
> I understand plenty, the assimilation of information in replies for this thread is woeful.
>
> Do you all not think CEA was for 343 to cut their teeth on a Halo game and engine before tackling Halo 4?
>
> I know the Reach engine is the base for Halo 4 engine but developers use snippets, routines, shaders, logic, artwork etc either directly or as reference material. This thread is about how much experience from CEA is being combined with the Reach engine and then how much customization is going on top of that?
>
> Next time read, assimilate and reply with more than a one liner.

There’s no need. You’re saying that because Sabre made the CEA engine/graphics overlay (whatever you want to call it), 343i automatically get the experience from the project - which doesn’t make sense.

> > I don’t think you understand what you’re talking about.
>
> I understand plenty, the assimilation of information in replies for this thread is woeful.
>
> Do you all not think CEA was for 343 to cut their teeth on a Halo game and engine before tackling Halo 4?
>
> I know the Reach engine is the base for Halo 4 engine but developers use snippets, routines, shaders, logic, artwork etc either directly or as reference material. This thread is about how much experience from CEA is being combined with the Reach engine and then how much customization is going on top of that?
>
> Next time read, assimilate and reply with more than a one liner.

No offense, but I think you are confused.

The Halo: CEA engine will have NOTHING to do with Halo 4. They didn’t even program an engine for it. It runs on the orginal Halo: Combat Evolved engine. All Saber did (the company 343 got to do the new grahpics) was add a new fancy graphics layer ontop.

You best point of reference would be to look at Reach, as it will be the most recent version of the Halo engine that will have been modified for Halo 4. But then, that wont really give you much clue as to what Halo 4 will be like. Just wait till Monday I guess.

> > > I don’t think you understand what you’re talking about.
> >
> > I understand plenty, the assimilation of information in replies for this thread is woeful.
> >
> > Do you all not think CEA was for 343 to cut their teeth on a Halo game and engine before tackling Halo 4?
> >
> > I know the Reach engine is the base for Halo 4 engine but developers use snippets, routines, shaders, logic, artwork etc either directly or as reference material. This thread is about how much experience from CEA is being combined with the Reach engine and then how much customization is going on top of that?
> >
> > Next time read, assimilate and reply with more than a one liner.
>
> There’s no need. You’re saying that because Sabre made the CEA engine/graphics overlay (whatever you want to call it), 343i automatically get the experience from the project - which doesn’t make sense.

I believe both Saber and 343 gained experience from their joint develment of CEA. You seem to think 343 did nothing but hire Saber and just wait for the finished remake.

The replies are focusing on just one aspect of many in the OP. I’d like to hear some thoughts on the other points in the thread.

> I believe both Saber and 343 gained experience from their joint develment of CEA. You seem to think 343 did nothing but hire Saber and just wait for the finished remake.

and you seem to think that they did everything.

Halo CEA has nothing to do with Halo 4 engine wise. I’m not going to argue with you because frankly, I don’t need to try and convince myself that I’m right.

i would be sad if halo 4 looks like reach… But if so,Lets hope its more like previous halo games

Every single Halo game to date has been created with a reworked version of the previous engine. (minus Halo Wars of course…) So to me this is not a big deal what so ever. When it comes down to it it’s better than starting a new engine from scratch. If they were going to do that they might as well wait until the next gen console.

343 Have confirmed that the technology used with CEA has NOTHING to do with Halo 4 technology.

> i would be sad if halo 4 looks like reach… But if so,Lets hope its more like previous halo games

Don’t worry. What a game looks like has more to do with the art style than the prowess of the graphics engine. Reach had a theme that suited it very well, but Halo 4 is a completely different game and will, correspondingly, have a completely different art style.

using the reach engine is fine considering how good it was but i would have prefered a new engine with a bit smarter ai’s

> CEA’s engine is worse than Reach’s in every conceivable way. 343 are, to the best of my knowledge, simply improving the Reach tech. Which makes sense, after the bugs are ironed out it’ll be as perfect as a Halo engine will ever be on the 360.