The return of equipment in Halo Infinite

I always liked how H3 added a non intrusive 4th layer to the tried and tested: melee, grenade and shoot formula, via equipment.

As a 1 time use map pick up it encouraged players to traverse and if you were clever with them could help turn the tide. With the updated info feed from H5, seeing who picks up what, i always thought it could work well if it returned.

Also I liked how the enemies used them in campaign too. Would be real decent if these returned and some new ones were thrown into the mix! C’mon 343 you know it makes sense!

Nonintrusive is the keyword. Since equipment was a pick-up, it was up to the map designer wether a given piece of equipment appeared on a given map, and therefore there was no expectation that you should be able to use a particlular (or indeed any) piece of equipment in a match. Which was a good thing because the equipment seen in Halo 3 was mostly a hit and miss. They were mostly gimmicks that did not serve any deep purpose in gameplay, and a couple of them were outright detrimental to the flow of combat. i think what they lacked in competitive merit, they made for in a more relaxed social setting where they could be used for all kinds of shenanigans.

Which is all to say, if some new iteration of equipment were to come back, I guess I wouldn’t be against it.

If equipment is re-introduced, I’d make it a special grenade type which you can only have one of, and not pick up several different ones.

I never liked them, one of the two main reasons I like H2 over H3.

What I personally would love to see in Infinite is a loadoat like we had in H5 + equipment item. They could also make some of the armor abilites to equipment items.
Would love to see the return of regenerator, sentry, bubble shield, shield drain, gravity lift, flash, hologram & promethean vision.

I’ve never cared for Halo 3’s equipment. Some pieces could occasionally be useful, but they were mostly pointless. They’re my least favourite implementation of a 4th layer to gameplay, so wouldn’t want to see them back.

Ability pick-ups like Overshield and Active Camo are better.

I’ve said this all before but I’ll say it again. Make the Spartan abilities and Armor Abilities map pickups like equipment and or power ups.
The base gameplay is halo 2/3 with slightly higher movement speed and maybe add thrusters but that’s it. Armor abilities and spartan abilities will be placed on maps that they work well with. Armor abilities will be for the most part one time uses like equipment in halo 3, though depending on the ability you could balance it to be used multiple times or for a set duration of time after activated. Spartan abilities will act as power ups like Overshield and speed boost. They will only stay active for a set amount of time, let’s say 1 minutes as this set time can be easily changed if it’s too long or too short. I can go more in depth on each Armor ability and spartan ability and how they would work if people want to know. Allowing all of this to be customizable in forge and custom games is an added bonus.

I wouldn’t have an issue with equipment or something around that idea coming back at all. I liked how they were single use map pick up items. The possibilities with equipment is pretty near endless if you think about it. Tons of potential, especially in modes like firefight.

I enjoyed them and hope they return. Many disliked them for no real reason. Idk why ppl want a bare bones halo game.

Personally, I’d rather 343 ditch this 4th element of the Halo sandbox altogether. But, compared to what equipment evolved into in the following games, I’d rather we get that than the terrible armor abilities mechanic or the slightly improved spartan abilities of Halo 5. As Tsassi says, most equipment was a simple gimmick that was either mostly worthless or negatively affected combat flow. Halo MP was at it’s best in 1 & 2, and hopefully Infinite will go back to that.

I’d prefer Armor abilities as they had more utility and with some of the equipment (i.e. flares) they often were inconsequential and you even forgot you had them or simply didn’t use them. You say the word unintrusive but you might as well say irrelevant for having no effect. Also before one of them (sprint) was made a standard ability you had to chose between a defensive one or a one that granted you more mobility.

Now for armor abilities it would be nice if you could just tweak them for duration and recharge rate (even turning off the recharge) on a per ability basis. I can see something like evade having a recharge but you could take the jet pack lengthen the duration but no recharge to simulate fuel/energy. When you are out you have to pick up a new one, (also good map designs will have more than one to keep one person from taking it and staying out of reach.

I liked equipment in H3, especially for Campaign! I prefer it over armor abilities.
I like how equipment was one time use items, you had to choose the right moment to drop your bubble shield or regen!
That was all kinda ruined for me when they turned those into abilities that you could use an infinite number of times… lame…

Equipment definitely had merit. People did not use them in competitive because you have no radar and die the second you get caught out. Power drain in big team was fantastic. Bubble shield was a get out of jail free card against snipers, and vehicles. I have no idea why people would not want them in the game. I for one would be happy to have them.

> 2533275031939856;4:
> I never liked them, one of the two main reasons I like H2 over H3.

I’d still prefer equipment over spartan abilities. If they chose either armor abilities (Reach and 4), or equipment like H3, I’d be fine with either of those. Also hoping for the return of firebombs… and please 343 remove the spartan abilities from H5 in infinite.

> 2535433024916972;14:
> > 2533275031939856;4:
> > I never liked them, one of the two main reasons I like H2 over H3.
>
> I’d still prefer equipment over spartan abilities. If they chose either armor abilities (Reach and 4), or equipment like H3, I’d be fine with either of those. Also hoping for the return of firebombs… and please 343 remove the spartan abilities from H5 in infinite.

Spartan abilities gotta go. Keep it simple.

> 2535451336993939;15:
> > 2535433024916972;14:
> > > 2533275031939856;4:
> > > I never liked them, one of the two main reasons I like H2 over H3.
> >
> > I’d still prefer equipment over spartan abilities. If they chose either armor abilities (Reach and 4), or equipment like H3, I’d be fine with either of those. Also hoping for the return of firebombs… and please 343 remove the spartan abilities from H5 in infinite.
>
> Spartan abilities gotta go. Keep it simple.

100%. The spartan abilities didn’t feel like the classic, but still new halo. Reach and 4 did it well… even tho 4 had some useless ones like promethean vision. But still, the spartan abilities need to stay in H5 only.

> 2535433024916972;14:
> > 2533275031939856;4:
> > I never liked them, one of the two main reasons I like H2 over H3.
>
> I’d still prefer equipment over spartan abilities. If they chose either armor abilities (Reach and 4), or equipment like H3, I’d be fine with either of those. Also hoping for the return of firebombs… and please 343 remove the spartan abilities from H5 in infinite.

I’m kinda in the middle. I actually prefer spartan over armour abilities because it keeps everyone on a level playing field. No loadouts where everyone has something different and then everything is designed around a definite gameplay style. However some of the spartan abilities themselves I did not like, like spartan charge and ground pound for examples. Personally if I had to choose between equipment, armour abilities, or spartan abilities I would choose spartan abilities depending on which abilities are present.

> 2533275031939856;17:
> > 2535433024916972;14:
> > > 2533275031939856;4:
> > > I never liked them, one of the two main reasons I like H2 over H3.
> >
> > I’d still prefer equipment over spartan abilities. If they chose either armor abilities (Reach and 4), or equipment like H3, I’d be fine with either of those. Also hoping for the return of firebombs… and please 343 remove the spartan abilities from H5 in infinite.
>
> I’m kinda in the middle. I actually prefer spartan over armour abilities because it keeps everyone on a level playing field. No loadouts where everyone has something different and then everything is designed around a definite gameplay style. However some of the spartan abilities themselves I did not like, like spartan charge and ground pound for examples. Personally if I had to choose between equipment, armour abilities, or spartan abilities I would choose spartan abilities depending on which abilities are present.

I definitely don’t want to bring back loadouts. If they had armor abilities spawning around the map, that’d be so much better than loadouts. For spartan abilities, if they kept sprint and maybe ground pound(mainly for fun minigames), then I think I’d be fine. Halo 5 was just too much “ability” in general. Trying to hit a shot and the opponent boosting behind cover is extremely annoying to me.

Equipment was cool and all in Halo 3 but it often threw me off a bit in game by the level of randomness. Halo Reach and 4 had armor abilities which was a little better since it was less random but it threw away the even playing field even more (although I commend it because it allowed us to implement our own style gameplay style even more) Despite my mixed feelings, I wouldn’t mind it returning with new ones but definitely won’t miss it if it doesn’t return.

Hmm. Some armor abilities I’d say were fitting … some I’d say are not . Same with spartan abilities. Same with equipment.

Often times I think about how gameplay ties into the universe … and thinks like thrusters on Spartans make sense … but not to avoid or dodge projectiles… rather to help traverse zero g… and to break falls… maybe to assist clearing a gap with a leap. Maybe even assisting navigation while in air.

For dodging something I believe evade is more appropriate… you might think that what about when jumping ? Well that’s the trade off. You are more vulnerable when jumping … it’s always been that way.

As for moving faster I’d think just have a higher base speed … having an initial speed closer to the current one and the new one like sprint … and have an acceleration mechanic where the longer you run in a straight line the faster you go.

i think some equipments appropriate are the drop shield/ bubble shield … hard light sheild/jackle gauntlet… active camo… over shield… gravity lift… jet pack … radar jammer… etc
they should be single use , and map pickups.