The reintroduction of Covenant species

The Covenant seem like they are going to return going from the ending of Spartan Ops, I was thinking that they should include some old Covenant species like the Yanme’e and the Sharquoi.

We’ve seen the Yanme’e (Drones) before in 2, 3, Reach, ODST and I remember listening to something and Frankie was saying people didn’t like fighting them because they were “annoying”. I don’t think that’s really a valid reason for them to not be included, Drones were always that one thing I dreaded to fight on my recent playthrough of Halo 3 Legendary, they were challenging because they swarmed you.

The Sharquoi are enemies we haven’t seen ingame but they canonically exist in the Universe

> No. I do not think that is the reasoning. They continue to lose territory, and pattern or no pattern, these defenses must be part of a perimeter. I suspect we are forcing them into a tighter arena than they care to fight in - soon we may be able to use the Sharquoi. And their victories, however few, always rely on the same thing - strategy, brute force, or luck. No. The only secret they hold is the location of their homeworld.

The Sharquoi are known for their “herculean strength” so they could probably be something like the Gúta (from the mission Nightfall on Reach) and Mgalekgolo. Here is a render of one and I think it could go through some sort of a redesign as it reminds me of an enemy from Rayman 2.

And something very unexpected, the Skirmishers. They wouldn’t be with the Covenant Remnant though, they’d be with Human Insurrectionists.

If you haven’t read/finished the Kilo-5 Trilogy don’t read this unless you don’t intend on reading them

The Kilo-5 Trilogy is focusing on a Planet called Venezia which both Human Rebels and various Covenant species live on in peace. The Insurrectionists want to attack Earth and one the Insurrectionists, Staffan Sentzke works with a Skirmisher called Sav Fel

I’m can’t remember if Brutes live there but if they do they could return and we could have a enemy faction with Brutes, Humans and Skirmishers

Enemies in Halo need to have more strategy to them. Add more species and add more ranks with unique abilities. Drones, Skirmishers, Engineers, bring em all back.

> Enemies in Halo need to have more strategy to them. Add more species and add more ranks with unique abilities. Drones, Skirmishers, Engineers, bring em all back.

Totally. But I hope they get the AI right for the Elites, Grunts, Jackals and Hunters

People found the drones to be annoying… as in not fun to play against…

That actually seems like a very, very good reason not to include them in the game.

> People found the drones to be annoying… as in not fun to play against…
>
> That actually seems like a very, very good reason not to include them in the game.

I think the Elites are frustratingly easy on Legendary and boring to face, get rid of them

The Grunts are mere cannon fodder and don’t need to be included, get rid of them and focus on another enemies AI

Same to the Jackals

Oh yeah, I’d like to see some more returning Covies.

As for Drones not being fun to fight, that was in Halo 2, Halo 3, and ODST, where they could soak up bullets and fly up in your face. In Reach, you could finally headshot them and they weren’t so frequent.

> > People found the drones to be annoying… as in not fun to play against…
> >
> > That actually seems like a very, very good reason not to include them in the game.
>
> I think the Elites are frustratingly easy on Legendary and boring to face, get rid of them
>
> The Grunts are mere cannon fodder and don’t need to be included, get rid of them and focus on another enemies AI
>
> Same to the Jackals

“Easy is too easy!” Then turn up the difficulty maybe…

One person’s opinion doesn’t compare to an overwhelming amount of feedback. Even if you actually do feel that way about the Covenant units, the point isn’t that one or two people found drones annoying. It was a consensus opinion that they were not fun enemies.

I just wanna kill some flood again lol. Was funner than killing Prometheans. Can we get a flood Firefight mode? :o

> > > People found the drones to be annoying… as in not fun to play against…
> > >
> > > That actually seems like a very, very good reason not to include them in the game.
> >
> > I think the Elites are frustratingly easy on Legendary and boring to face, get rid of them
> >
> > The Grunts are mere cannon fodder and don’t need to be included, get rid of them and focus on another enemies AI
> >
> > Same to the Jackals
>
> <mark>“Easy is too easy!” Then turn up the difficulty maybe…</mark>
>
> One person’s opinion doesn’t compare to an overwhelming amount of feedback. Even if you actually do feel that way about the Covenant units, the point isn’t that one or two people found drones annoying. It was a consensus opinion that they were not fun enemies.

I play Legendary pretty much all the time :l, when I’m not playing Legendary, I’m playing Heroic

What Ghost brought up with the Drones in Reach is true

> > >
> > > That actually seems like a very, very good reason not to include them in the game.
> >
> > I think the Elites are frustratingly easy on Legendary and boring to face, get rid of them
> >
> > The Grunts are mere cannon fodder and don’t need to be included, get rid of them and focus on another enemies AI
> >
> > Same to the Jackals
>
> “Easy is too easy!” Then turn up the difficulty maybe…
>
> One person’s opinion doesn’t compare to an overwhelming amount of feedback. Even if you actually do feel that way about the Covenant units, the point isn’t that one or two people found drones annoying. It was a consensus opinion that they were not fun enemies.

The Covies are stale, the best 343i could do for them was flanking. They had their chance to shine (and they did so more prominently than the Prometheans, which were said to eclipse their threat).

As for the Drones, there was a good change starting with Reach (no more blasted shielded Drones like in ODST, headshot vulnerability, rarity) then that was completely disregarded in Halo 4.

> > >
> >
> >
> >
> > Same to the Jackals
>
> “Easy is too easy!” Then turn up the difficulty maybe…
>

If you ask me i think you need to look at that post more clearly. Spartan said Elites are frustratingly easy on Legendary not that they are easy on easy. Upping the difficulty from Legendary is impossible. Turning on all the skulls doesn’t make the AI better just more defense and attack.

Drones might of been annoying but they were a threat. You wouldn’t just burn through them. If you ask me 343i should go back to how Halo was like in CE but with Halo 2s numbers.

Make is so a single Elite is a fight even a minor and make it alot of them. Even on normal, make them as fierce as drinking liquidated Ghost peppers mixed with salt, make the elites demons.

Make the grunts, actually useful. The Kamikaze grunts are easily disposed of, the Covenant is low on troops grunts would get better armor. Give some helmets like in Reach, a speed boost when they go kamikaze and have the little guys do their best to stay in packs and overwhelm the player.

Have jackals use Carbines with their shields up along with Heavy Jackals only being headshotable only after their helmet is blown off. Allow them to shield bash players, and have them actually use their shields in a cohesive manner rather than being separated.

Hunters should be as they are described in the books, fast, powerful accurate and even more fierce than elites.

Brutes should be the ultimate bullet sponge, shrugging them of and doing very unpredictable things even turning on their allies. Brutes can even last a while even after getting their brains blown out so add that in.

I don’t know if many engineers are in the Covenant but if they are i’m sure the Covies would have them geared with shields and armor of a Hunter and like it was said in ODST but we didn’t really see, if humans get to close they should blow up in our faces like a wraith shoot.

Drones were a pain in the -Yoink- but that is what halo needs. We shouldn’t just blow thought waves of Covenant. The reason the Spartans were better than the advance Covenant was because they were better trained not because they were super soldiers and they were scarred of everything Spartan. Anyone who believes Halo MP should be competitive again should agree that the Campaign should be just as had. Save every bullet, utilize every thing you are given and live the true life of a Spartan.

343 can always have Covenant interact more with there environment kinda like the guys from Rage , maybe not completely though.

To be honest, I have no idea why Covenant don’t use cover an burst fire at us as from legitimate cover, throw very good grenade lobs at us, and why they run around in the open battlefield. I guess that’s obviously the main reason why we won the war. sarcasm

Imo, Covenant AI just needs to be smart and more tactical as well as realistic. Not to mention being scripted to give a -Yoink- about their lives. >.>

EDIT: As for seeing the return of older species… Yeah, that’s cool as long as it works. I’d love to see a Sharquoi in Xbox One graphics.

If they don’t want drones to be annoying then they should make them scary. Like have a giant drone that shoots those halo 3 hunter glassing plasma cannon thing, and it has swords in it’s arms. Like a boss fight.

As far as Engineers go, I’d like to see some friendly ones at the very least. There were supposed to be many of them on the Infinity and we never saw a single one. :confused:

I would rather have Real Forerunner Prometheans and Builder Security introduced.

I’m sorry but after 7 years of fighting the Covenant in 4 games I just don’t think 343 will get them improved anymore.

> <mark>I would rather have Real Forerunner Prometheans and Builder Security introduced.</mark>
>
> I’m sorry but after 7 years of fighting the Covenant in 4 games I just don’t think 343 will get them improved anymore.

Might be a bit of a problem since they really have no reason to fight humanity anymore.

I hate it when people want enemies removed because they are hard, yea that’s the point to the game, play on easy or get over it.

I’ve suggested it before, but why don’t we start mixing and matching elements of the Covenant and Prometheans? We saw the Covies using Promethean weapons, why not both? How about a melee-oriented Knight with it’s arm blade and an Energy Sword? How about Watchers using Needle-based weapondry?

Maybe we could even get Covenant-turned-Pronethean units later on in the story. Flying Watcher/Grunts that activate plasma grenades and come hurtling towards you upon death anyone?

I’m actually surprised the forerunner weapons felt like advanced human weapons as opposed to advanced covenant ones. Especially since the storm rifle concept art explicitly shows it using forerunner components. Would have been an easy way to keep the covie weapon variants introduced in reach.

I don’t know if I really like the idea of covies and promethians sharing gear too much though, as it leads to them feeling even more samey. I can see maybe high ranking members doing it, but that’s about it.