The reason there was no beta……...

I think they realized after a long development cycle and huge investment, plus a multitude of COD like changes, the game wasn’t up to the standard set by previous games. Rather than have a MP beta and let the cat out of the bag, which would have probably cut sales by 1/3rd or more I would guess from how quick the online pop is dying, they rode the Halo name and hype machine and just released the game.

It worked for sales at 220MM in week one, but come Halo 5 there will be a lot more skepticism and I would bet much lower sales. A shame for sure. At this point, I think everyone realizes how important continuity of a developer is. Whether you like COD or not, Treyarch and Infinity Ward keep delivering and people eat it up. The game is pretty much the same every year except for maps and killstreaks. I think I would have been happier with a giant Halo 3 or Reach map pack for $40. People who like COD will clearly buy COD every year. People who liked Halo over the years would have too BUT probably not anymore because it strayed away from Halo and into Call of Halo. Some still like it. Many do not.

For a FPS in future, I would love if Bungie and Lucas got together to make a Star Wars Battlefield game. I don’t even need the Halo characters anymore just want a great game. Not even a Star Wars fanatic but imagine the marketability of such a game.

they may have not done a beta to keep people from seeing all the new features, but i doubt it had anything to do with them “knowing” that it would kill sales.

im guessing it would have been easier to just re-skin the halo 3 MP then to add a bunch of new stuff. so why would they make a game they knew people wouldnt like?

its just silly to think that 343i didnt do a beta just to scam us into buying a game that they figured people would hate.

I am not saying it was a “scam” but there comes a point in R&D where you evaluate what you have developed and assess how the product is versus internal expectations and the competitive market (and perhaps previous titles). If you are 85% done but you don’t feel confident about your product you may choose just to release and not do a beta. All the time and money is already sunk so you are going to release the game but doing a beta is risky. In drug development clinical trials, one of the ballsiest trials to do is a head to head comparison with an on market drug (EU actually requires it). If results are good then great success, but if inferior obviously you slit your own wrist. Sometimes it is better just not to know and go the middle of the road.

Very logica response Frankie.

I have to agree with you though. If they did a beta, the population decrease we are seeing now would have just turned into lost sales instead.

That is why halo 3 was so great. They released a beta. Some people decided not to get it based on the beta, but it still rocked the market.

P.S. If they did do a beta, we wouldn’t have half of these crappy problems.

> Very logica response Frankie.
>
> I have to agree with you though. If they did a beta, the population decrease we are seeing now would have just turned into lost sales instead.
>
> That is why halo 3 was so great. They released a beta. Some people decided not to get it based on the beta, but it still rocked the market.
>
>
> P.S. <mark>If they did do a beta, we wouldn’t have half of these crappy problems</mark>.

Oh yeah, like SO much changed from Reach beta to Reach launch.

That’s purely an example, I loved Reach.

Medal of Honor had a beta, and I hear that that game is horrendous.

This game at its core is still great, but so many thing have been fixed with a beta. If I remember right, 343 said they didn’t have one because they said it would take half the dev team to run one… guess fixing what is broken is a bad idea to them.

For a series of this magnitude, Halo doesn’t need a beta. But if you are doing MASSIVE changes, you should probably have one and listen to the feedback of the players. Not “pros” or select people.

Part of me wants to hate Halo 4 but I’m holding out on it. I think going the CoD way was the wrong thing to do.

> > Very logica response Frankie.
> >
> > I have to agree with you though. If they did a beta, the population decrease we are seeing now would have just turned into lost sales instead.
> >
> > That is why halo 3 was so great. They released a beta. Some people decided not to get it based on the beta, but it still rocked the market.
> >
> >
> > P.S. <mark>If they did do a beta, we wouldn’t have half of these crappy problems</mark>.
>
> Oh yeah, like SO much changed from Reach beta to Reach launch.
>
> That’s purely an example, I loved Reach.

Actually alot of annoyances were fixed from the Reach beta to launch.