The Real Reason You Don't Like Halo Anymore

The reason is party chat. Party chat ruined Halo and online gaming in general.

Now, I fall into the category of players that holds Halo 2 as the standard for not only Halo games, but competitive shooters in general. Halo 2 was hands down the best multiplayer experience many of us have ever had, and that likely won’t change. But a large part of why Halo 2 was so incredible is because party chat didn’t exist and everyone used mics. Not only this, but Halo 2 features proximity chat, so you could hear people after you killed them or when they were trying to sneak around.

In an honest evaluation of Halo 5’s beta, I can say straight faced that I think it’s the best Halo game in terms of gameplay since Halo 2. It feels perfectly balanced and buttery smooth, not to mention incredibly fun. However, I noticed that my enjoyment of Halo 5’s beta was directly correlated to the frequency with which I came across other people with mics.

Halo is a competitive, small team game that relies heavily on team collaboration. That feeling has been lost over time as people have isolated themselves by either using party chart or not using mics at all. I hope you all reinvest in the re-invigoration of the Halo community by using your mics in lobbies and games as they are intended to be. Help bring back that shared, magical feeling of the glory days by never using party chat.

Not everyone wants to chat with everyone they come across. They don’t have to be in party chat to ignore people. Me personally I mute anyone I see with a mic. Its nothing personal but I don’t want to hear multiple voices that aren’t programmed into the game while I play.

Bro counter strike is THE competitive shooter, not Halo 2. But the reason I don’t use mics is because of all the people who used Kinects and that scarred me for life.

> 2533274888579326;3:
> Bro counter strike is THE competitive shooter, not Halo 2. But the reason I don’t use mics is because of all the people who used Kinects and that scarred me for life.

Yeah, I’ll give you that point. The Kinect default chat revealed way more abusive homes and dysfunctional families than any of us ever wanted.

Well its kinda true.

Before I could just say “hi!” And instantly, I was almost guaranteed to make friends I could play with all day. Now you say hi and you’re lucky if one person responds!

> 2533274857398125;5:
> Well its kinda true.
>
> Before I could just say “hi!” And instantly, I was almost guaranteed to make friends I could play with all day. Now you say hi and you’re lucky if one person responds!

Most people either mute you before you can say anything, or just wait online with their mics to tell you to -Yoink- off when you make a peep. It’s ridiculous.

Wahat if I told you that exist people that don’t know english, or that don’t want to speak english, or that don’t like to speak english, or like myself, that don’t feel comfortable speaking english. Would you then consider the posibility that people may don’t want to use there mics and just play and have fun instead of loosing focus of the game because they need to think what they are saying?

> 2533274896750290;7:
> Wahat if I told you that exist people that don’t know english, or that don’t want to speak english, or that don’t like to speak english, or like myself, that don’t feel comfortable speaking english. Would you then consider the posibility that people may don’t want to use there mics and just play and have fun instead of loosing focus of the game because they need to think what they are saying?

That’s what region filtering is for.

On topic… Proximity chat… probably one of the most fun and trolly things in H2. Creep into an enemy base and taunt them to try and find you.

Can I just point out the elephant in the room real quick? The presumptuous title.

I still like Halo.

  1. I love Halo so much, more than before
  2. If some people were a bit polite, I would put my mic on, sure, without problem

> 2661949065475413;8:
> > 2533274896750290;7:
> > Wahat if I told you that exist people that don’t know english, or that don’t want to speak english, or that don’t like to speak english, or like myself, that don’t feel comfortable speaking english. Would you then consider the posibility that people may don’t want to use there mics and just play and have fun instead of loosing focus of the game because they need to think what they are saying?
>
>
> That’s what region filtering is for.
>
> On topic… Proximity chat… probably one of the most fun and trolly things in H2. Creep into an enemy base and taunt them to try and find you.

As far as I know region filtering was only in Reach, and even then, it would search for people in al West Europe, and there is a bunch of languages.

> 2533274896750290;11:
> > 2661949065475413;8:
> > > 2533274896750290;7:
> > > Wahat if I told you that exist people that don’t know english, or that don’t want to speak english, or that don’t like to speak english, or like myself, that don’t feel comfortable speaking english. Would you then consider the posibility that people may don’t want to use there mics and just play and have fun instead of loosing focus of the game because they need to think what they are saying?
> >
> >
> > That’s what region filtering is for.
> >
> > On topic… Proximity chat… probably one of the most fun and trolly things in H2. Creep into an enemy base and taunt them to try and find you.
>
>
> As far as I know region filtering was only in Reach, and even then, it would search for people in al West Europe, and there is a bunch of languages.

That sucks

Real Reason has always been the Design of Halo 5 going a different direction and not towards being creative anymore and adding new alien races to play and new world to explore. Halo ODST was already done Halo Reach was already done and Halo 5 feels like it is going back to those games which were weak in my opinion.
Also I am not alone in this as I have asked many gamers or friends online what game mechanics ruined the game for them and what things they didn’t like about ODST or Reach. I am sure 343 already knows about this.
Because like Halo 2 and 3 I liked those in terms of being able to play as the Arbiter or least a completely different character and being able to go invisible for short amounts of time adding new game ideas should be what Halo does best.
In terms of modes they should have never removed Split-screen Coop for those who don’t have internet or just want to play with the Father, Sister, Friends etc.
Now with Halo 5 it just is doing the same stuff and that is sad and the Game Designer of Halo 5 should be fired.
Hire me instead and get Halo back on track

> 2599622463489707;13:
> Real Reason has always been the Design of Halo 5 going a different direction and not towards being creative anymore and adding new alien races to play and new world to explore. Halo ODST was already done Halo Reach was already done and Halo 5 feels like it is going back to those games which were weak in my opinion.
> Also I am not alone in this as I have asked many gamers or friends online what game mechanics ruined the game for them and what things they didn’t like about ODST or Reach. I am sure 343 already knows about this.
> Because like Halo 2 and 3 I liked those in terms of being able to play as the Arbiter or least a completely different character and being able to go invisible for short amounts of time adding new game ideas should be what Halo does best.
> In terms of modes they should have never removed Split-screen Coop for those who don’t have internet or just want to play with the Father, Sister, Friends etc.
> Now with Halo 5 it just is doing the same stuff and that is sad and the Game Designer of Halo 5 should be fired.
> Hire me instead and get Halo back on track

obviously a halo purist

> 2599622463489707;13:
> Real Reason has always been the Design of Halo 5 going a different direction and not towards being creative anymore and adding new alien races to play and new world to explore. Halo ODST was already done Halo Reach was already done and Halo 5 feels like it is going back to those games which were weak in my opinion.
> Also I am not alone in this as I have asked many gamers or friends online what game mechanics ruined the game for them and what things they didn’t like about ODST or Reach. I am sure 343 already knows about this.
> Because like Halo 2 and 3 I liked those in terms of being able to play as the Arbiter or least a completely different character and being able to go invisible for short amounts of time adding new game ideas should be what Halo does best.
> In terms of modes they should have never removed Split-screen Coop for those who don’t have internet or just want to play with the Father, Sister, Friends etc.
> Now with Halo 5 it just is doing the same stuff and that is sad and the Game Designer of Halo 5 should be fired.
> Hire me instead and get Halo back on track

also don’t like it don’t play the game

You make a good point. I’d certainly play more MCC if I had people to play it with, but relying on randoms is just so unfun. I’d rather toss a controller to my dog.

Your text reached my heart. I’ll make an effort to communicate more with strangers I swear. Also thanks for the info about proximity chat in Halo 2. I never knew about this and this piece of information made me understand a lot of jumpy memories.

The real reason I don’t like halo any more is because of the squeaky sound design. Chirp- blip- tink. An- noy- ing

Party chat is NOT the same as bad game design. Even now Halo MCC is still pretty fun because of the trilogy being fun.

I does seem as if the culture has changed. Then again, a lobby full of talkers isn’t always a good thing.