The REAL reason the Forge maps aren't in yet

The reason 343i are holding back the three built-in Forge maps from matchmaking is purely due to the cynical longterm marketing strategy they have adopted. When they eventually insert them into rotations they’ll make a big song and dance about it in a bulletin like they’re doing us all a favour, as if they’re giving us a freebie. They already know players will at that point be getting seriously tired of the minuscule number of things like 4v4 Slayer maps and so by artificially holding them back until a time they have obviously deemed to be of optimal impact beforehand, their plan is to inject renewed vigour into matchmaking with some content that is already readily available offline. And remember: they will ‘sell’ it like they’re doing us a favour: “Aren’t we cool for looking after you all like this, enjoy the maps - you’ve earned them!”

I can imagine bs angel’s fake cheery tone even now.

And of course, we’ll be expected to be ever so grateful… for finally being permitted to properly make use of the content we already purchased some time ago.

Wouldn’t have happened on Bungie’s watch, right?

It’s called reverse psychology. Look it up. Don’t let them lull you in.

Peace.

One of the reasons. The other one is promoting map packs.

Such a negative outlook.

Yes, there are a limited number of maps. Yes, I look forward to getting more. No, I don’t think I’ve been cheated. No, I don’t want user made maps in the matchmaking rotation.

I was not a fan of having forge maps in Reach and I won’t support their cause now. The maps all looked the same and felt “boxy” as they substituted rocks etc. with blocks. I hope that we don’t see these maps come back, though I recognize there are more forge options in H4 so it would at least be an improvement.

The most unfortunate thing about the maps is not the lack of them (again I wish there was more but who doesn’t?) but rather the voting selection. It’s a bummer playing Exile or Ragnarok one after the other for 5 or more times in a row. I feel that I play the game more than most and I still don’t have enough experience on Meltdown or Vortex to make any real judgement call on the quality of these maps.

I really don’t like your attitude and think that your “criticism” is unfounded.

On Bungies watch we would have gotten 2 real maps and 6 Forge maps at launch.

well, im not bothered about them not being in yet
i just want to know if they will be in at one point
one thing that made reach so amazing for me was them
if they comfirm them at some point i’ll be happy

Maybe we’ll get some decent maps.

Marketing and Publishers run the show. I’m fairly certain 343 has no real control. Bungie may have been able to call their own shots. Sure they couldn’t release Bungie made maps with original assets for free, but they could put out community maps, and their own Forged maps. I think they had just enough control. But 343 is just the babysitter now. They only have as much control as MS gives them.

I’m sure there are many at 343 that would love to upload their own forged maps, or community maps to boost the map count. I’m sure there are plenty that wished they had more time to iron things out, and ensure all features in Halo 4 worked, and worked properly. I’m sure some wishes they had the time and resources to be as involved with the community as Bungie had been. But it’s not their call. They’re essentially limited to what “corporate” wants them to do.

> I was not a fan of having forge maps in Reach and I won’t support their cause now. The maps all looked the same and felt “boxy” as they substituted rocks etc. with blocks. I hope that we don’t see these maps come back, though I recognize there are more forge options in H4 so it would at least be an improvement.

> The reason 343i are holding back <mark>the three built-in</mark> Forge maps from matchmaking is purely due to the cynical longterm marketing strategy they have adopted.

Also, have you seen many blocks on Ascent and Settler? Relay doesn’t feel “boxy” to me either. It’s not like we’re asking MM to be flooded with forged maps. We have 3 maps from 3 environments now, not 5+ from one.

I just hope it doesn’t turn out like Reach where every map in matchmaking is a forge map.

The game needs variety but I don’t want to play forged maps the entire time.

Though for some reason I didn’t mind forged maps in Halo 3.

Also, that Lockout/Guardian hybrid someone made. If nothing else add that.

> The reason 343i are holding back the three built-in Forge maps from matchmaking is purely due to the cynical longterm marketing strategy they have adopted. When they eventually insert them into rotations they’ll make a big song and dance about it in a bulletin like they’re doing us all a favour, as if they’re giving us a freebie. They already know players will at that point be getting seriously tired of the minuscule number of things like 4v4 Slayer maps and so by artificially holding them back until a time they have obviously deemed to be of optimal impact beforehand, their plan is to inject renewed vigour into matchmaking with some content that is already readily available offline. And remember: they will ‘sell’ it like they’re doing us a favour: “Aren’t we cool for looking after you all like this, enjoy the maps - you’ve earned them!”
>
> I can imagine bs angel’s fake cheery tone even now.
>
> And of course, we’ll be expected to be ever so grateful… for finally being permitted to properly make use of the content we already purchased some time ago.
>
> Wouldn’t have happened on Bungie’s watch, right?
>
> It’s called reverse psychology. Look it up. Don’t let them lull you in.
>
> Peace.

Can you prove this?

Also on Bungie’s watch it would be all forge maps, all the time. So much grey in multiplayer it was horrible!

> I just hope it doesn’t turn out like Reach where every map in matchmaking is a forge map.
>
> The game needs variety but I don’t want to play forged maps the entire time.
>
> Though for some reason I didn’t mind forged maps in Halo 3.
>
> Also, that Lockout/Guardian hybrid someone made. If nothing else add that.

From the MLG match? That one looked really good.

> > I just hope it doesn’t turn out like Reach where every map in matchmaking is a forge map.
> >
> > The game needs variety but I don’t want to play forged maps the entire time.
> >
> > Though for some reason I didn’t mind forged maps in Halo 3.
> >
> > Also, that Lockout/Guardian hybrid someone made. If nothing else add that.
>
> From the MLG match? That one looked really good.

Idk if it’s the same one but I have the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx8w486pj0A&list=LL5XyDuBAoVDnjxrQxpQg-Mg

> Such a negative outlook.
>
> Yes, there are a limited number of maps. Yes, I look forward to getting more. No, I don’t think I’ve been cheated. No, I don’t want user made maps in the matchmaking rotation.
>
> I was not a fan of having forge maps in Reach and I won’t support their cause now. The maps all looked the same and felt “boxy” as they substituted rocks etc. with blocks. I hope that we don’t see these maps come back, though I recognize there are more forge options in H4 so it would at least be an improvement.
>
> The most unfortunate thing about the maps is not the lack of them (again I wish there was more but who doesn’t?) but rather the voting selection. It’s a bummer playing Exile or Ragnarok one after the other for 5 or more times in a row. I feel that I play the game more than most and I still don’t have enough experience on Meltdown or Vortex to make any real judgement call on the quality of these maps.
>
> I really don’t like your attitude and think that your “criticism” is unfounded.

It may be a negative outlook, but it’s an ugly truth that we all need to accept.

Oh and btw, the reason Vortex doesn’t get picked is because of the awful fps lag that comes along with that map. And meltdown is a camper’s paradise.

Hang on guys, hold your horses - I’m not advocating a load of ugly user made forge maps to be liberally thrown into the game a la Halo Reach, lord no. Please don’t repeat that again in Halo 4. They absolutely ruined Reach’s matchmaking for me.

No; I’m merely referring to the three developer made ones we already have, which at this stage would add a desperately needed flavor of variety to Infinity Slayer. That’s all I’m getting at with my original post.

Slayer is dying for some maps and Relay and Settler would be just the antidote to the onset of boredom.

Which is precisely why they’re being held back, for now.

Except I’d argue it’s a strategy which backfired about two weeks ago. People are so bored and sick of Haven 24/7 that many of them already moved onto something else. Something with more variety out of the box.

> I can imagine bs angel’s fake cheery tone even now.

You`ve noticed this too? here I though I was special for once :3

> Also on Bungie’s watch it would be all forge maps, all the time. So much grey in multiplayer it was horrible!

Oh, give me a break.

OT: I’m going to assume it was to focus on Crimson. Which I’m not sure is the best choice…

Standard maps in Halo 2: 12
Standard maps in Halo 3: 11
Standard maps in Reach: 9
Standard maps in Halo 4: 10

Halo 4 is just under the average (10.5) amount of maps released at launch for all online playable multiplayer Halo titles.

> Standard maps in Halo 2: 12
> Standard maps in Halo 3: 11
> Standard maps in Reach: 9
> Standard maps in Halo 4: 10
>
> Halo 4 is just under the average (10.5) amount of maps released at launch for all online playable multiplayer Halo titles.

Standard 4v4 maps in Halo 3: 9
Standard 4v4 maps in Halo 4: 5

Also, Reach had 5 standard Forge maps. Asylum, Paradiso, and Hemorrhage were better than most of the regular maps. (Don’t really like Paradiso and Hemorrage but they were definitely much better for BTB than Boneyard and Spire)

Definitely.

The dev made forge maps should be welcome in standard matchmaking. But I’d rather see user ones kept in their own play list.