The ranking system for ranked is absolutely meaningless

Yes, I completely agree. I have had several players just try to slay out whenever our team is losing and it is very VERY frustrating. I think if they put more emphasis on the objective aspect of ranking up then it would prevent some of that. Currently, there is definitely too much reward for kills or k/d ratio or however it is done.

1 Like

I’m not saying that it was perfect in Halo 5. There is always room for improvement. I’m just saying that the only changes in Infinite seem to be downgrades. There seem to be tens of thousands of players that got over-ranked and can’t derank. That’s a deep problem. Probably a worse problem than not being able to rank up.

I think the tiers are better than 1-50 in almost every way, even if the difference is just superficial. In 1-50, it just turns into a situation where people are just comparing themselves to the top rank constantly. The tiered system is more like weight classes, and as a result, is more appealing to new players. The goal should be to get as many people comfortable playing ranked as possible (and also to tune the ranking system so it’s as effective as possible, which might not have happened yet).

With 1-50, you’re either “50” or “not 50”.

A tiered system is capable of being functionally identical to 1-50. And when it’s working correctly, it should be an excellent indicator of a player’s skill. It just seems like deranking is currently broken.

With 1-50, you’re either “50” or “not 50”.

I totally disagree with this sentiment. By your logic you’re either Onyx or Not Onyx. In the 1-50 system you had 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, 31-40, 41-50. Those were the tiers. No one I ever played the game with expressed any sort of “I’m not 50 so boo hoo” it was always fun to compare ranks with friends across different playlists. The medal/weight class tiers could be roughly the same, sure, if 343 would make going up or down in them the same as in the 1-50 system.

A tiered system is capable of being functionally identical to 1-50. And when it’s working correctly, it should be an excellent indicator of a player’s skill. It just seems like deranking is currently broken.

I do agree with this. It doesn’t HAVE to be 1-50, it can be Bronze, Silver, Gold, etc as long as there are roughly the same amount of levels and as long as the ranking and de-ranking function the same. I just think the raw number is better.

343 hates ranked. All 3 of the people are was playing with tonight said this game was so smooth, but ranked was already making them bored. There’s literally no point of it. People who love halo want competitive ranked. Not “who can play the most games since you literally can not rank down.”

Why does 343 hate ranked?

1 Like

I think we both seem to agree that the difference is largely superficial, as long as either system is functioning correctly. This system worked in Halo 5, but deranking is not working correctly in Infinite. Personally, I’d rather be a Platinum 5 than a 27 or whatever, but it wouldn’t be the end of the world if they changed it. I just don’t really see any reason why the superficial difference is worth more effort than just fixing the current implementation.

Yeah I get you. Just personal preference is all. Again, if it functions like the old Halo 3 way, but looks like this on the surface then I’ll be mostly fine with it. There’s still one issue, which is the old way made you start at rank 1 and you earned each number up the ladder. Now it places you halfway up that ladder if you’re decent. Miss the journey I guess. Anyways, here’s to hoping the de-ranking is resolved (and hoping we get a long list of ranked playlists, each with its own rank to earn).

1 Like

Rank is a joke hardly inspires competitive halo. 343 just taking one step forward and ten steps back in every subject

2 Likes

Why im getting into games with diamonds and onyx players and i havent even finished my first 10 ranked games? i think thats really unfair.

1 Like

I preferred Halo 5’s system. It rewarded personal skill but was less obvious and aggressive.

Right now you appear to be awarded more for big wins than opponent skill. Not to mention everyone running high. Some of the people I’ve played who are in Diamond are noticeably not Diamond levels players.

1 Like

I think there is a bit of misconception about what the ranking system is.

I am Silver 6. That means I am “better” than everyone ranked lower, and “worse” than everyone ranked higher.

If I consistently lose in engagements against those who are ranked higher, then no, my rank wouldn’t change, because that is to be expected. If I’m losing when ranked with Gold players, but winning against Silver I - V, and on average tieing with Silver VI, then why would my rank change? There is no evidence of a change in skill. On the other hand if I’m losing to lower tier Silvers, then my rank should decrease.

The other part of this is that most people will be centred around Gold IV or so (16th tier of 31 tiers).

And the last part is sample size. The system estimates your rank based on the number of games you have played. That estimate is going to be more accurate and precise for a Silver 6 with 1000 games under their belt rather than one with 10 games.

1 Like

This is logical but I don’t get the impression that the average rank at the moment is mid-Gold; but it might just be that higher-skilled players are spending more time on the game, the forum and other social channels. The impression I’m getting is that more people are Platinum and upwards.

1 Like

I won a match of Team Slayer last night and finished with 12k/9d/4a, 49% accuracy over 4k damage and still lost rank. I am a plat 4 and played against other plat ranks. can someone explain? I also went on a killing spree and got 3 shot caller medals.

Welcome to the community @iTREE !!

Yep. Systems like TrueSkill specifically model your skill as a normal curve. When you start the curve is wide (low confidence in your actual rating). The curve narrows over time as the system gains confidence in your rating. It can ball park you in half a dozen games… but it takes closer to 50 to get a good grip.

I have been diamond 6 for a while. Got my onyx. Lost 2 games. Deranked back to D6 then just won 5 games in a row at the top of the board in slays and objective and still didn’t rank back up. This ranking system is busted.

1 Like