The Pulse Carbine - Expectations vs Reality

I wanted to start a conversation about the Pulse Carbine as it currently appears in the Halo Infinite flight. Its a decent weapon with an adequate time to kill and is reasonably fun to play with. I do however a few concerns about design choices and naming conventions.

The physical appearance is a cross between the storm rifle and the classic Covenant Carbine, but despite it’s name it draws more from the former than the latter. Unlike the Covenant Carbine which served opposite the BR with a single round precision weapon rather than a burst configuration, the Pulse Carbine feels more like a burst variant of the Storm Rifle or Plasma Repeater. The “venting” reload mechanism and plasma damage type especially channel more of a Plasma Repeater feel. With the apparently removal of the Plasma and Storm Rifles from the sandbox this is a logical adaptation to fill that combat role.

While new players will readily accept the new name and design, my concern is that veteran players will be alienated by the difference between the expectation of what a carbine should be, and what the weapon in the game provides. While uninspiring, I think “Pulse Rifle” would provide a better bridge between expectation and reality. Given that “carbine” has come to be associated with a mid to long range single shot precision weapon and the Pulse Carbine fills more of a mid to close range suppressor, especially against moving targets. Overall, pulse carbine seems to serve more as a counterpoint to the Commando given it’s mild homing and high shots to kill (2 burst headshot kill on static enemies to the BR65’s 4) but substantially lower accuracy against moving targets.

I do think the weapon definitely has a place in the sandbox. My concern is that it doesn’t fill the role players are going to expect based off experience with other Halo titles given it’s name and appearance. It strikes me steps could be taken to avoid a beam rifle / focus rifle scenario. These are just my initial thoughts given my experience in the firing range and PvE play, and I know tuning is subject to change. Maybe I am just overthinking; I want to hear your thoughts and start a dialogue.

I agree fully. A carbine, in Halo, is a precise, direct weapon with fairly ample magazine capacity and moderate damage.

Agreed on all accounts.

I agree,

I currently do not like this gun. I do not like how much projectile tracking I have seen thus far. Though it is a confusing weapon, calling it a carbine we think of the classic halo carbine IE distance and precision…this gun is the opposite of that. Which leads me to ask, will the classic carbine be put into the game/or a equal counter-part. If the answer to that is no, I think we have a problem as the balance is needed. Halo always shines have a finely balanced arsenal of human vs covi weapons. I struggle to find its place because I do not know what other weapons in the sandbox we will be seeing. Will there be a carbine, plasma rifle/repeater, storm rifle?? The presence of other available weapons impacts the pulse carbines place in the gameplay.

Its underwhelming as a new weapon, it in no ways excites me or interests me. I find myself just wanting it to be a classic carbine. I’m struggling to find its place other than being a good weapon for newbies. However accommodating new players is already is already happening with the arsenal and weapon balancing, like making automatic weapons such as the AR stronger. That I like as a change.

I would rather see the gun as a counterpart to the BR or Commando. Increase projectile speed and reduce tracking. I think that would make it more fun to use, as of right now its not.

All of this just my personal experience and opinion from 4 hours of playing.

Late reply, but the Pulse Rifle is already a thing in Halo lore, being an ancient San’Shyuum weapon. (Source)

> 2533274824152095;1:
> I wanted to start a conversation about the Pulse Carbine as it currently appears in the Halo Infinite flight. Its a decent weapon with an adequate time to kill and is reasonably fun to play with. I do however a few concerns about design choices and naming conventions.
>
> The physical appearance is a cross between the storm rifle and the classic Covenant Carbine, but despite it’s name it draws more from the former than the latter. Unlike the Covenant Carbine which served opposite the BR with a single round precision weapon rather than a burst configuration, the Pulse Carbine feels more like a burst variant of the Storm Rifle or Plasma Repeater. The “venting” reload mechanism and plasma damage type especially channel more of a Plasma Repeater feel. With the apparently removal of the Plasma and Storm Rifles from the sandbox this is a logical adaptation to fill that combat role.
>
> While new players will readily accept the new name and design, my concern is that veteran players will be alienated by the difference between the expectation of what a carbine should be, and what the weapon in the game provides. While uninspiring, I think “Pulse Rifle” would provide a better bridge between expectation and reality. Given that “carbine” has come to be associated with a mid to long range single shot precision weapon and the Pulse Carbine fills more of a mid to close range suppressor, especially against moving targets. Overall, pulse carbine seems to serve more as a counterpoint to the Commando given it’s mild homing and high shots to kill (2 burst headshot kill on static enemies to the BR65’s 4) but substantially lower accuracy against moving targets.
>
> I do think the weapon definitely has a place in the sandbox. My concern is that it doesn’t fill the role players are going to expect based off experience with other Halo titles given it’s name and appearance. It strikes me steps could be taken to avoid a beam rifle / focus rifle scenario. These are just my initial thoughts given my experience in the firing range and PvE play, and I know tuning is subject to change. Maybe I am just overthinking; I want to hear your thoughts and start a dialogue.

> 2533274798408828;4:
> I agree,
>
> I currently do not like this gun. I do not like how much projectile tracking I have seen thus far. Though it is a confusing weapon, calling it a carbine we think of the classic halo carbine IE distance and precision…this gun is the opposite of that. Which leads me to ask, will the classic carbine be put into the game/or a equal counter-part. If the answer to that is no, I think we have a problem as the balance is needed. Halo always shines have a finely balanced arsenal of human vs covi weapons. I struggle to find its place because I do not know what other weapons in the sandbox we will be seeing. Will there be a carbine, plasma rifle/repeater, storm rifle?? The presence of other available weapons impacts the pulse carbines place in the gameplay.
>
> Its underwhelming as a new weapon, it in no ways excites me or interests me. I find myself just wanting it to be a classic carbine. I’m struggling to find its place other than being a good weapon for newbies. However accommodating new players is already is already happening with the arsenal and weapon balancing, like making automatic weapons such as the AR stronger. That I like as a change.
>
> I would rather see the gun as a counterpart to the BR or Commando. Increase projectile speed and reduce tracking. I think that would make it more fun to use, as of right now its not.
>
> All of this just my personal experience and opinion from 4 hours of playing.

> 2533274884198112;2:
> I agree fully. A carbine, in Halo, is a precise, direct weapon with fairly ample magazine capacity and moderate damage.

i think you guys dont know how the pulse carbine works.

1. its a replacement for the plasma pistol at long/medium range. 1 shot = no shield then switch to br for kill. There is video evidence of 343 pro team heinz using it like this.

2. In order for a guarantee hit with tracking, you must keep the reticule red and lead your shot at the same time

3. pulse carbine is useless at close range.

4. plasma pistol is useless at long range. if you jump or move left or right, it will miss. plasma pistol is now close range only.

> 2533274821485400;5:
> Late reply, but the Pulse Rifle is already a thing in Halo lore, being an ancient San’Shyuum weapon. (Source)

Not having read that novel, is it ever described in detail?
I’m essentially wondering if it would make sense to just rename the Pulse Carbine to Pulse Rifle and have it be the same weapon?
(Maybe an Elite or Banished redesign of it, like many other in their equipment.)

> 2533274821485400;5:
> Late reply, but the Pulse Rifle is already a thing in Halo lore, being an ancient San’Shyuum weapon. (Source)

Thank you for the heads up on that. I was not aware of the potential confusion in changing naming conventions could cause.

> 2535424690681893;6:
> > 2533274824152095;1:
> > I wanted to start a conversation about the Pulse Carbine as it currently appears in the Halo Infinite flight. Its a decent weapon with an adequate time to kill and is reasonably fun to play with. I do however a few concerns about design choices and naming conventions.
> >
> > The physical appearance is a cross between the storm rifle and the classic Covenant Carbine, but despite it’s name it draws more from the former than the latter. Unlike the Covenant Carbine which served opposite the BR with a single round precision weapon rather than a burst configuration, the Pulse Carbine feels more like a burst variant of the Storm Rifle or Plasma Repeater. The “venting” reload mechanism and plasma damage type especially channel more of a Plasma Repeater feel. With the apparently removal of the Plasma and Storm Rifles from the sandbox this is a logical adaptation to fill that combat role.
> >
> > While new players will readily accept the new name and design, my concern is that veteran players will be alienated by the difference between the expectation of what a carbine should be, and what the weapon in the game provides. While uninspiring, I think “Pulse Rifle” would provide a better bridge between expectation and reality. Given that “carbine” has come to be associated with a mid to long range single shot precision weapon and the Pulse Carbine fills more of a mid to close range suppressor, especially against moving targets. Overall, pulse carbine seems to serve more as a counterpoint to the Commando given it’s mild homing and high shots to kill (2 burst headshot kill on static enemies to the BR65’s 4) but substantially lower accuracy against moving targets.
> >
> > I do think the weapon definitely has a place in the sandbox. My concern is that it doesn’t fill the role players are going to expect based off experience with other Halo titles given it’s name and appearance. It strikes me steps could be taken to avoid a beam rifle / focus rifle scenario. These are just my initial thoughts given my experience in the firing range and PvE play, and I know tuning is subject to change. Maybe I am just overthinking; I want to hear your thoughts and start a dialogue.
>
>
>
> > 2533274798408828;4:
> > I agree,
> >
> > I currently do not like this gun. I do not like how much projectile tracking I have seen thus far. Though it is a confusing weapon, calling it a carbine we think of the classic halo carbine IE distance and precision…this gun is the opposite of that. Which leads me to ask, will the classic carbine be put into the game/or a equal counter-part. If the answer to that is no, I think we have a problem as the balance is needed. Halo always shines have a finely balanced arsenal of human vs covi weapons. I struggle to find its place because I do not know what other weapons in the sandbox we will be seeing. Will there be a carbine, plasma rifle/repeater, storm rifle?? The presence of other available weapons impacts the pulse carbines place in the gameplay.
> >
> > Its underwhelming as a new weapon, it in no ways excites me or interests me. I find myself just wanting it to be a classic carbine. I’m struggling to find its place other than being a good weapon for newbies. However accommodating new players is already is already happening with the arsenal and weapon balancing, like making automatic weapons such as the AR stronger. That I like as a change.
> >
> > I would rather see the gun as a counterpart to the BR or Commando. Increase projectile speed and reduce tracking. I think that would make it more fun to use, as of right now its not.
> >
> > All of this just my personal experience and opinion from 4 hours of playing.
>
>
>
> > 2533274884198112;2:
> > I agree fully. A carbine, in Halo, is a precise, direct weapon with fairly ample magazine capacity and moderate damage.
>
> i think you guys dont know how the pulse carbine works.
>
> 1. its a replacement for the plasma pistol at long/medium range. 1 shot = no shield then switch to br for kill. There is video evidence of 343 pro team heinz using it like this.
>
> 2. In order for a guarantee hit with tracking, you must keep the reticule red and lead your shot at the same time
>
> 3. pulse carbine is useless at close range.
>
> 4. plasma pistol is useless at long range. if you jump or move left or right, it will miss. plasma pistol is now close range only.

Do you have a link for the footage for point 1? I’d love to see that in action. Definitely makes sense with the gunplay the weapon provides, but it was not a strategy I personally considered testing during the beta window. This behavior and approach does bring it more in line with my desire for a plasma-based marksman rifle.

I have since reviewed footage from others during the beta, I did note what you mentioned for point 2. Thought leading the shot and keeping within red reticule buffer is an awkward balancing act a long ranges. Perhaps an increased exponential acceleration of the bolts would require less lead time and provide a more precision-weapon experience at longer ranges, while still limiting the weapon’s close range viability. This could provide a more similar feeling the to the marksman rifle experience, where if you track your target at range you land reliable hits.

I do want to reiterate, I like the weapon and the niche that it fills. A plasma damage type rifle that does not occupy the same range space as the plasma pistol has been sorely needed for some time in the Halo sandbox. My greatest concern is with naming conventions and expected behavior. While occupying the range space and name of the Carbine, it feels and behaves more similarly to the Plasma Rifle variants, which has resulted in some confusion among veteran players who are expecting the weapon to exhibit behavior closer to a Covenant Carbine, DMR, or BR.

I agree, Pulse Rifle sounds like it would be a better name for that weapon in particular. Pulse Repeater could work, too. But Pulse Carbine implies that it’s a Carbine. And a carbine, it is not.

Found the projectiles to be too slow.

> 2535446427305943;10:
> I agree, Pulse Rifle sounds like it would be a better name for that weapon in particular. Pulse Repeater could work, too. But Pulse Carbine implies that it’s a Carbine. And a carbine, it is not.

Pulse Repeater would be a good alternate name. That still telegraphs a ranged weapon without setting up the expectations of the Carbine and prevents potential conflict with existing lore that Wylyth1992 brought up earlier in the thread.

However it is, it will be one of my favorite guns to use.

Edit: wrong topic

> 2533274824152095;9:
> > 2535424690681893;6:
> > > 2533274824152095;1:
> > > I wanted to start a conversation about the Pulse Carbine as it currently appears in the Halo Infinite flight. Its a decent weapon with an adequate time to kill and is reasonably fun to play with. I do however a few concerns about design choices and naming conventions.
> > >
> > > The physical appearance is a cross between the storm rifle and the classic Covenant Carbine, but despite it’s name it draws more from the former than the latter. Unlike the Covenant Carbine which served opposite the BR with a single round precision weapon rather than a burst configuration, the Pulse Carbine feels more like a burst variant of the Storm Rifle or Plasma Repeater. The “venting” reload mechanism and plasma damage type especially channel more of a Plasma Repeater feel. With the apparently removal of the Plasma and Storm Rifles from the sandbox this is a logical adaptation to fill that combat role.
> > >
> > > While new players will readily accept the new name and design, my concern is that veteran players will be alienated by the difference between the expectation of what a carbine should be, and what the weapon in the game provides. While uninspiring, I think “Pulse Rifle” would provide a better bridge between expectation and reality. Given that “carbine” has come to be associated with a mid to long range single shot precision weapon and the Pulse Carbine fills more of a mid to close range suppressor, especially against moving targets. Overall, pulse carbine seems to serve more as a counterpoint to the Commando given it’s mild homing and high shots to kill (2 burst headshot kill on static enemies to the BR65’s 4) but substantially lower accuracy against moving targets.
> > >
> > > I do think the weapon definitely has a place in the sandbox. My concern is that it doesn’t fill the role players are going to expect based off experience with other Halo titles given it’s name and appearance. It strikes me steps could be taken to avoid a beam rifle / focus rifle scenario. These are just my initial thoughts given my experience in the firing range and PvE play, and I know tuning is subject to change. Maybe I am just overthinking; I want to hear your thoughts and start a dialogue.
> >
> >
> >
> > > 2533274798408828;4:
> > > I agree,
> > >
> > > I currently do not like this gun. I do not like how much projectile tracking I have seen thus far. Though it is a confusing weapon, calling it a carbine we think of the classic halo carbine IE distance and precision…this gun is the opposite of that. Which leads me to ask, will the classic carbine be put into the game/or a equal counter-part. If the answer to that is no, I think we have a problem as the balance is needed. Halo always shines have a finely balanced arsenal of human vs covi weapons. I struggle to find its place because I do not know what other weapons in the sandbox we will be seeing. Will there be a carbine, plasma rifle/repeater, storm rifle?? The presence of other available weapons impacts the pulse carbines place in the gameplay.
> > >
> > > Its underwhelming as a new weapon, it in no ways excites me or interests me. I find myself just wanting it to be a classic carbine. I’m struggling to find its place other than being a good weapon for newbies. However accommodating new players is already is already happening with the arsenal and weapon balancing, like making automatic weapons such as the AR stronger. That I like as a change.
> > >
> > > I would rather see the gun as a counterpart to the BR or Commando. Increase projectile speed and reduce tracking. I think that would make it more fun to use, as of right now its not.
> > >
> > > All of this just my personal experience and opinion from 4 hours of playing.
> >
> >
> >
> > > 2533274884198112;2:
> > > I agree fully. A carbine, in Halo, is a precise, direct weapon with fairly ample magazine capacity and moderate damage.
> >
> > i think you guys dont know how the pulse carbine works.
> >
> > 1. its a replacement for the plasma pistol at long/medium range. 1 shot = no shield then switch to br for kill. There is video evidence of 343 pro team heinz using it like this.
> >
> > 2. In order for a guarantee hit with tracking, you must keep the reticule red and lead your shot at the same time
> >
> > 3. pulse carbine is useless at close range.
> >
> > 4. plasma pistol is useless at long range. if you jump or move left or right, it will miss. plasma pistol is now close range only.
>
> Do you have a link for the footage for point 1? I’d love to see that in action. Definitely makes sense with the gunplay the weapon provides, but it was not a strategy I personally considered testing during the beta window. This behavior and approach does bring it more in line with my desire for a plasma-based marksman rifle.
>
> I have since reviewed footage from others during the beta, I did note what you mentioned for point 2. Thought leading the shot and keeping within red reticule buffer is an awkward balancing act a long ranges. Perhaps an increased exponential acceleration of the bolts would require less lead time and provide a more precision-weapon experience at longer ranges, while still limiting the weapon’s close range viability. This could provide a more similar feeling the to the marksman rifle experience, where if you track your target at range you land reliable hits.
>
> I do want to reiterate, I like the weapon and the niche that it fills. A plasma damage type rifle that does not occupy the same range space as the plasma pistol has been sorely needed for some time in the Halo sandbox. My greatest concern is with naming conventions and expected behavior. While occupying the range space and name of the Carbine, it feels and behaves more similarly to the Plasma Rifle variants, which has resulted in some confusion among veteran players who are expecting the weapon to exhibit behavior closer to a Covenant Carbine, DMR, or BR.

I may have suffered from the Mandella effect here. From my memory, the footage made it obvious I am correct. And I am actually not positive who is playing, although I am certain that there is footage of 343 pro Heinz playing.

None the less, from this footage, you can see a 343 employee using the pulse carbine to drain shields and then switch to precision. And you can also see multiple fails of trying to use the weapon at close range. I did use the pulse carbine against bots and pvp. It worked just as I described. One of my best moments was when I knew a guy with rockets was gonna come out from a corner (pvp). I drained his shields and finished him with a headshot before he even had the opportunity to exit the sprint animation.

Here is the link. Halo Infinite | Multiplayer Technical Preview Overview - YouTube