The Proverbial Perils of the Lone Wolf in MM

At times, playing matchmaking solo in Halo 4 can be frustrating to say the least. Through a combination of coming up against groups of organised and well drilled Spartans, and having ‘Team-Mates’ with the combined intellectual capacity of a single root vegetable. Things can get tiresome fast.

You know what it’s like, you’ve probably experienced it before. For anyone who is unclear what I’m talking about allow me to paint you a picture. 5 4 3 2 1… The timer reaches zero, and you spawn. A portion of your fellow Spartans dart off in random directions, and proceed to be outnumbered and consequently killed immediately. Gift wrapping the initial advantage to the opponent. Resistance is minimal as the enemy eases into the strategically important places on the map, picking up the majority of the power weapons in their stride. They know they’ve acted with a swift and clinical efficiency, they know they’re soon to be in complete control.

Meanwhile back at base, trouble is afoot. Spartan ‘Special’ as I dub him, is throwing a tantrum because he didn’t get ‘his’ vehicle and has decided to EMP and/or double stick the poor sods who would otherwise have flipped the hog in enemy territory 10 seconds later. The driver has rage-quit, leaving you a man down. The gunner is now per-occupied with his plan to get his revenge, it involves a ghost, a team splatter, and further hindrance to your teams chances of success.

On top of the above farce, some chaps younger brother (you know… the ‘guest’) is just stood there motionless. Probably off giggling at assorted pictures of kittens with ‘hilarious’ subtitles plastered on them. He’s AFK, and that’s if you’re fortunate. If you’re not, prepare to meet your newest ally, a fully-fledged member of the 1 for 30 brigade. Assault Rifle, courage, and a learning disability come as standard.

28 seconds later…

The intelligent individuals who just got themselves killed trying to replicate Rambo’s exploits early on in the match have already embarked on their second wave of attack. They repeat their previous actions, the result is not any different. They are outnumbered and dispatched with consummate ease. Handing the opponents their Personal Ordinance on a silver platter.

Another 28 seconds later…

The match has reached its tipping point, the opposition have organised themselves further and have made a collective decision to advance on your position, power-weapons/vehicles at the ready. You and your motley crew of would-be heroes are now spawn trapped with little chance of escape.

Using simple communication and tactics combined with team chemistry built up over time spent playing with one another on a regular basis, the people who chose no to fly solo get to enjoy their deserved reward, 10 minutes of target practice, the victory, and healthy boost to the old K/D ratio.

So Spartans, it appears you have a choice. Fight ALONE and suffer the disadvantage, with frustration a regular feature of matchmaking? Or alternatively, fight TOGETHER and take advantage of the uncoordinated masses, eliminating your adversaries at will with ruthless demonstrations of teamwork?

I was hoping this could prompt some discussion regarding the benefits of playing with friends in an organised fashion in Halo 4, and gripes about the perils of playing solo. Share your experiences good and bad, share some tips on teamwork, how do the people you run with operate on the battlefield what works what doesn’t? Even recall some of your more bemusing experiences when it comes to ‘Team-Mates’. Discussion is welcomed.
Thanks for sticking with me I’m aware I went on a bit of a tangent :slight_smile:
- British Fiasco.
[I’ve enjoyed the best, and suffered the worst of both worlds]

Topic sounded interesting and I would read it but that blue was hurting my eyes. Change it too white and I will.

It hasn’t come out right has it, give me a second.

Edit: Fixed.

If a game is that bad in the first place, nothing is stopping you from leaving.

i play solo and pull a 2.65 k/d and 41% win rate. yay

> i play solo and pull a 2.65 k/d and 41% win rate. yay

While I find that K/D impressive, especially for a lone wolf. I can’t help but imagine what you’d pull with an organised team backing you up, nullifying the enemies ability to kill you.

I think many people are in the same boat as you when it comes to Win/Loss ratio, teammates can be appalling at times. When I go solo, I lose over half my games as well. However, with a team the win is pretty much guaranteed.

The benefits of playing with a regular group of people are massive on this edition of Halo, more so than previously titles due to the failure of matchmaking to pair party teams against other party teams.

> If a game is that bad in the first place, nothing is stopping you from leaving.

I didn’t say there was, and I do quit when all hope is lost and tide of battle has swung to the point where there is no freedom of movement, and I’m getting killed with 2-4 seconds of spawning. Until ranked playlists (if ever) people will quit, it’s a problem that needs sorting by 343 but there are thousands of topics discussing that so I won’t go any further. JIP into those kind of games suck the most though, I feel sorry the poor sod who has to fill my boots.

That has never happened to me before in that intensity. You must have really bad luck to be paired with people on your team who have the collective intelligence of a LEGO brick

An interesting read, but to tell the truth I enjoy being a Lone Wolf. I hardly come across organised teams anyway.

> > i play solo and pull a 2.65 k/d and 41% win rate. yay
>
> While I find that K/D impressive, especially for a lone wolf. I can’t help but imagine what you’d pull with an organized team backing you up, nullifying the enemies ability to kill you.
>
> I think many people are in the same boat as you when it comes to Win/Loss ratio, teammates can be appalling at times. When I go solo, I lose over half my games as well. However, with a team the win is pretty much guaranteed.
>
> The benefits of playing with a regular group of people are massive on this edition of Halo, more so than previously titles due to the failure of matchmaking to pair party teams against other party teams.

I can’t find a team that I play well with. and the few times I have played with a full team of 8 in btb, we always get matched against other full teams. I find myself constantly getting matched against the highest ranked people on halo tracker, and mlg pros.

honestly i agree. i prefer team play and the lone wolfs who -Yoink- to other players because his team just lost, might have been able to pull a victory if he had been helping his team instead of running off. no matter your k/d spread if you can not help your team work together when the other team is working together than you just helped contribute to losing…thanks.

while it is rare to have all those things happen in one game any number or assortment of them occur constantly. it appears personal glory is more important than a win lose ratio. go play a free for all game.

i prefer lone wolf. Normally i am on teams where they just want to sit back and use the dmr/br which is just down right boring to me. between that and having team mates get in the way when i am trying to move i would rather be by myself

Fiasco, you’ve just described almost every game I’ve played on BTB Longbow.
You spawn as Blue, a teammate rushes forward and grabs the Sniper rifle, then stands still and gets shot by the first Red to race to the upper level, meanwhile, another teammate dashes for the Rocket Launcher at the top of the hill. He then proceeds to fire TWO rockets at the oncoming Red Warthog, misses both times and is a) splattered or b) mown down by the 'Hog Gunner.
And the game proceeds in the same chaotic fashion.
It is funny, though.

Unfortunately I always have to play alone. No one I know in the real world plays like I do, and forget about online “friends.” They just want to play everything you don’t.

As much as I don’t like the join-in-progress system, they could at least make good use of it. If a player registers no input at all for 60 seconds, they should be booted in favor of someone who actually wants to play.

It all boils down to your luck, really - I’ve been in games where total strangers spontaneously decide to stick together for the duration of the game and fight as a loosely-coordinated fireteam.

There’s nothing wrong with being a ‘lone wolf’ per se as long as you’re still helping the overall performance of your team by flanking the enemy or hunting snipers.

At least this dis generating some discussion, this doesn’t happen to me every game. Only when I come up against a team when playing solo does this usually occur, however when I’m playing on a full team myself it’s pretty much a walkover and I’ve yet to have the matchmaking system match us against other ‘big’ teams, usually just duos and trios. I’ve got some questions to ask some of you based on your replies and personal experiences but it will have to wait for now, back to work for me. Damn night shift >:( boo!

> when I’m playing on a full team myself it’s pretty much a walkover and I’ve yet to have the matchmaking system match us against other ‘big’ teams, usually just duos and trios.

I played a few games with some teams in the last few days. we got matched against Uncle ballball’s team (#1 vehicle kills #1 tank in the world) Roo5ter’s (#1 in my state) and two other teams with players ranked in the top 50 on HTR. these were all just in a few games.
playing solo in the last 2 days I got matched against Heinz (mlg pro) M U R D A (#1 on HTR) black screeen (#2 dominion i think) pistola (mlg pro) and countless other teams and high ranks on HTR. guess i’m just lucky?

> I played a few games with some teams in the last few days. we got matched against Uncle ballball’s team (#1 vehicle kills #1 tank in the world) Roo5ter’s (#1 in my state) and two other teams with players ranked in the top 50 on HTR. these were all just in a few games.
> playing solo in the last 2 days I got matched against Heinz (mlg pro) M U R D A (#1 on HTR) black screeen (#2 dominion i think) pistola (mlg pro) and countless other teams and high ranks on HTR. guess i’m just lucky?

That’s interesting. Considering the frequency in which you are coming across these organised teams, I’m surprised I haven’t encountered any myself as of yet. Maybe there are over factors coming into play which are causing this, I presume the teams you mentioned are US based groups? I primarily play with people from the UK exclusively which leads me to wonder whether or not the matchmaking system avoids pairing two teams from different continents to avoid severe connection issues. Of course that’s only my own speculation perhaps anyone can shed some light?

> It all boils down to your luck, really - I’ve been in games where total strangers spontaneously decide to stick together for the duration of the game and fight as a loosely-coordinated fireteam.
>
> There’s nothing wrong with being a ‘lone wolf’ per se as long as you’re still helping the overall performance of your team by flanking the enemy or hunting snipers.

I have also experienced this, some games it just clicks with the randoms. Occasionally it’s possible to get matched with people who understand the importance of teamwork in Halo unfortunately in my personal experience this scenario occurs too few and far between. I remember the days in Halo 2 and Halo 3 people were far more interested in actually winning due to the 1-50 ranks, but nowadays the majority of people only seem interested doing well individually. Victory means little now, I mean we all get the same exp right? No incentive to win. I’d be willing to bet most people who fly solo have a W/L ratio well below 50%. I commend people who use the team ethos regardless of whether they play solo or with a group, it’s admirable.

This is why I prefer 4v4 slayer for teamwork, you = 25% of your team - therefore have more say in the overall outcome and there isn’t so much fighting over vehicles which are deathtraps anyway.

BTB maps are crap anyway.

When I do play BTB its just to go on a 1 man killspree - find some camocampers and have my wicked way with them behind the mongoose shed.