The progression system will kill the game before it even launches

I like the consistency between levels, at least in comparison to H5 where the last 2 levels took just as long as the the first 150.
I agree that the weekly challenges could use some work. Something that actually encourages you to play more than a single evening.

4 Likes

I get where y’all coming from but it is sad state of affairs that progression is so darn important to folks these days. Call me an old man (which is fair, I’m ancient) but having fun with the actual game is far more important to me than getting some fancy pants for my spartan. Getting new cosmetics is cool and all but I’m far more interested in the actual game part of my game.

Yeah, the progression system needs a serious rework but it would be sad if there’s an actual population drop just because of that.

10 Likes

The main thing to note here is that while some people, like yourself, ignore it completely that doesn’t change the fact that some people do care about it and as a result will go out of their way to do whatever is necessary to progress in the battle pass which means they will run around the entire match ignoring the objective while trying to get a kill with the mangler. Those kinds of people will negatively impact your matches and is a perfectly valid reason for someone to quit. Many games have died completely for far less.

6 Likes

Fair enough and I get it completely. Modern Warfare came out over 14 years ago (jeeez), so I understand that for a long time now people have been conditioned to expect “carrot-on-a-stick” progression systems in their games.

And yeah you are correct that having challenge only progression can impact gameplay if people are more interested in getting that bar moving rather than enjoying their matches. Thankfully, being F2P, I doubt the population will drop that significantly before 343 can get some extra xp sources in…

…which will then create a whole new set of issues, as people will start leveling up far to quickly and to that 100 rank long before Season 2 is even close.

3 Likes

100% agreed. I feel bad that I bought the BattlePass thinking it was going to be better than the flight and I feel robbed. It’s a huge problem when a game is CTF and people are fighting over the sword to get the challenge completed. Or that people are opnly using plasma pistols because of the XP, this really takes away from the game and objective of the any game type.
343 needs to implement a Reach like XP system. I played nearly 6 hours today and went up 2 levels.

I feel so cheated and want my $10 back from the BattlePass.

14 Likes

Damn. About half my games were oddball tonight lol

2 Likes

I mean the season lasts until May 2022, if you’re already level 4 chances are you’re on pace to get to level 100 before the new season starts

1 Like

Would your solution - or any solution for that matter - even matter? If you’re not gonna buy the Battle Pass, you’re getting ffuck all from the free tracks anyway. Finally accumulating enough XP and unlocking the first Tier and getting that backdrop thing for my nameplate, gave me no excitement at all.

2 Likes

Try the bot modes. They give progress and if you get the wrong mode you can back out guilt free

6 Likes

Progression is terrible, 343 had this feedback from both flights and didn’t change anything

11 Likes

Does this actually work?

I agree. The challenges are too circumstantial. Kill an enemy with a fusion core? I run around the whole match with a fusion core chucking it at enemies, doing nothing to help, and still probably don’t get the challenge completed. Kill an enemy with a shade turret? Sit in the turret the entire match shooting across the entire map hoping for a kill. Destroy a ghost? Play BTB and hope someone actually drives a ghost, you have something that can destroy it, they don’t get out before it blows up, etc.

The challenges could maybe work, but they need to be way less specific or there needs to be more game modes so that you can fish for the ones you need to complete easier without throwing the match for your team.

Well, technically they did change something. They doubled the xp required for each level. :upside_down_face:

8 Likes

Not all challenges can be completed on bot modes… but yes. I think it specifically mentions “in PvP” if they are only achievable on matchmaking modes.

3 Likes

Ok. Cool. So F me, I guess. :neutral_face: Thanks for the info and brief glimmer of hope.

In fact, I am starting to think that 343’s intention was to let players get their early weekly challenges on bot modes and then move to matchamking. The “in PvP” weekly challenges I got are more… normal. e.g. “Kill 20 spartans in PvP”.

1 Like

I struggle to think there are many out there that actually believe that this game will die instantly because of the progression system. Sure, it can use some work, but this is the most fun with a new Halo I’ve had for a very long time. The drama on here is worse than a high school sorority clique.

4 Likes

Played 6 hours and only hit level 3. Im sorry that is way to slow of progress. I cannot dedicate 6-8 hours a day to this progression system. If it stays like this I can’t justify paying for another pass.

1 Like

It’s nice that there’s some kind of workaround, limited as it may be (bots don’t seem to like driving much, so vehicle challenges are a pain), but we shouldn’t need this workaround in the first place. We need more generalist challenges, like finish matches, kill enemies through non-specific means, etc…

2 Likes

:joy: I already quit as well! Hahaha, ain’t going to bother playing a game without some sort of progression. Biggest turn off I ever had.

1 Like