The Problem with Halo Reach "Challenges" - Please Fix This

The Problem: "Time required doesn’t equal credit payout."

Another supporting thread

Bungie/343 please, we are not Warrant Officers anymore. Challenges that are worth less than 3,000 aren’t even worth the time if they are Campaign or Firefight. I recall seeing a post by our Bungie.net Overlord, Achronos, that the “hard-mode” style achievements and challenges are to be done by completing these challenges. Read the post for yourself:

[

> Posted by: Achronos
> Because with Challenges and Commendations, we use the Achievements to make sure everyone knows and experiences all of the game’s features.
>
> More traditional “Hard-mode” style things can be found with our Daily Challenges and Commendations progressions.

](http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=46977153&postRepeater1-p=2#47072862)
The problem is that the time required to complete the challenge however doesn’t add up. Lets take this weeks Weekly Challenge for instance:
Complete 75 rounds of Firefight Matchmaking this week

> 75 ROUNDS? Wait you mean 325 waves of firefight? For 8,000 credits? Forgive me on my math here (You might want to double check this Hyle :P)
>
> 1 game of FF Arcade = approx 15 minutes = 3 Rounds
>
> 25 games of FF Arcade = Completing this challenge
>
> Thats 6.25 HOURS of just Firefight. For 8,000 credits. Now if you take the 8,000 credits and divide that by the number of games required to complete this you get:
>
> An extra 320 credits added on to each game for this challenge.
>
> I don’t know about you, but playing almost 6 1/2 hours of straight firefight for a measly 8,000 credits isn’t worth it to me. At Forerunner rank, I get 9,000+ credits for 1 game of Firefight Doubles. I am better off just playing regular matchmaking with friends.

The Challenges aren’t challenging, they’re just time consuming.

> There isn’t any point to completing them. Lets look at those LASO Campaign Challenges. Assuming you cannot speedrun through the whole mission like Nightfall, an average LASO mission would take approx 90 minutes. Some people complete them faster, some slower, I’ll just use 90 minutes as an average.
>
> How much were they worth? 12,000-15,000 average. Say 13,000 credits for now. You just spent 90 minutes gaining 13,000 credits? Anyone who is Legend/Mythic or higher should just stop wasting their time if they want to maximize their credit gain.
>
> If you spent those 90 minutes playing Multiplayer Matchmaking instead you would have accomplished approx 8-9 games of Matchmaking. At Mythic rank thats about 3,500 a game which = over 30,000 credits. Thats only at MYTHIC rank. What about people who are Eclipse, Nova, Forerunner? Its just a waste of time for those LASO Challenges.

A Proposal to fix this problem

As your rank increases, so does the challenge payouts*. The ratio of credits would be the same as if you were a lower rank. This would increase incentive to actually play the campaign challenges at higher ranks. Why would I waste 20 minutes in campaign shooting 100 grunts with the AR for 1,000 credits, when I can play 2 games of BTB in Matchmaking for 10,000 credits? It just doesn’t add up.
> Recruit - Lt Colonel = 1,000 credits
>
> Commander = 1,200 credits
>
> Colonel = 1,400 credits
>
> Brigadier = 1,750 credits
>
> General = 2,000 credits
>
> Field Marshall = 2,200 credits
>
> Hero = 2,500 credits
>
> Legend = 2,750 credits
>
> Mythic = 3,000 credits
>
> Noble = 3,250 credits
>
> Eclipse = 3,750 credits
>
> Nova = 4,000 credits
>
> Forerunner = 4,500 credits
>
> Reclaimer = 5,000 credits
>
> Inheritor = 6,000 credits
Keep in mind that this would be directly proportional to whatever the lowest rank group would earn for a said challenge. So if a challenge started at 750 credits, all the amounts would be lower and vice versa. This adds incentive to actually do them.
When you’re Eclipse or Higher and you need 2 million+ credits to rank up, it sucks when you see the challenges for 1,000 or 1,200 credits for the dailies. You see the weekly challenge for a lousy 8,000 credits.
The bottom line is this: Completing challenges outside of Multiplayer Matchmaking simply just aren’t worth your time at higher ranks. You’d be wasting your time if you did them.

Your math doesn’t add quite up because you completely ignore the credits you earn while doing the challenge(s). Taking the weekly challenge as example, the 8,000 cR are to be considered a bonus you get on top of what you earn for those 25 FF Arcade games.

Whether you play 25 multiplayer games or 25 FF games doesn’t make much of a difference when it comes to overall credit payout for the games played. But if you play FF, you get 8,000 cR as a bonus. IMO it’s well worth it.

I do agree to some extent, I was even disappointed at Bungie’s challenges on 7/7, I expected nice challenges such as ‘Play Against a Bungie Employee and Win’ or ‘Kill 20 People with Flames’, instead they we’re the same as the whole week.

For this weekly challenge, it is quite a measly amount of CR for the amount of time it takes, as you’ve stated.

I hope that we have more interesting challenges once 343 gain the reins, but right now, I’m settling with playing just normal matchmaking.

> Your math doesn’t add quite up because you completely ignore the credits you earn while doing the challenge(s). Taking the weekly challenge as example, the 8,000 cR are to be considered a bonus you get on top of what you earn for those 25 FF Arcade games.
>
> Whether you play 25 multiplayer games or 25 FF games doesn’t make much of a difference when it comes to overall credit payout for the games played. But if you play FF, you get 8,000 cR as a bonus. IMO it’s well worth it.

i see where you’re coming from, and I agree to some extent. To someone that is an avid firefight player, this challenge may be worth it to them. What I’m most concerned about is the time vs the payout relationship.

6 - 6.5 hours of firefight is some true dedication to that playlist, but a measily 8,000 credits? For someone at my rank, Forerunner, its literally pointless to get those LASO challenges done.

I can spend 90 minutes getting 14,000 credits in campaign - or 90 minutes getting over 60,000 credits in multiplayer matchmaking. (Yes, its that bad)

The Challenge system has way to much potential to be what it currently is in Halo Reach. So many adjustments could be made to it to please everyone. I just only hope that some may consider the same thing when reading this post.

Yeah I completely agree with you, I stopped doing Challenges a good number of ranks ago and I am ranking up a lot faster now.