The problem isn't that Halo 4 has faults

The problem is how disconnected I feel to the development team.

Yeah, the pre release vidocs were great. They made me believe that Halo was going to be safe with 343 and I still have hope that it will be. But I don’t think a twitter account and a weekly bulletin really cut the cake when it comes to communication.

Maybe I’m unreasonable with this but I don’t think I’m the only one that feels this way.

I played a lot of League of Legends after I stopped playing Reach and the one thing that I always appreciated was the involvement Riot Games has with it’s community. They give feedback on literally everything and even though players didn’t always like what they heard, you could at least try to understand the logic behind the changes. With 343 i feel a lot of decisions and calls they made should be addressed by them to us.

I agree completely. But 343 will never say a word to us.

Just stopping in to say that they disagree with us, or to defend their decisions would make a world of difference. Not to mention, I’m sure they would find SOME good ideas here!

Right I mean the feedback doesn’t have to be all negative! I know a lot of it is but this community has always been a creative bunch.

I know I’m beating a dead horse already, but in League of Legends an insane amount of in game content was generated by the community itself. The Dev team responds constantly to feedback both positive and negative and strive to keep a game balanced. And if you’ve played League you know what a nearly impossible task it is to balance that game. They know not everyone will be happy but they still strive to communicate why they do what they do.

Lets be really honest.

Look at the first page. Do you see a lot of support or good will? There is an endless stream of hostility and general discontent as people find every little issue to be angry about and blow it up.

This entire forum can’t stop arguing over a fraction of a seconds difference in killtimes for the DMR and BR. Seriously, this entire community is at a standstill over .2 seconds.

It is like people have forced themselves to be SO unhappy that the whole thing imploded and now people think a fraction of a second matters.

An angry implosion. Consider that.

What in the hell do you think they could POSSIBLY say that this forum wouldn’t spit back in their face and be generally angry about?

All they can do is try to act on everything as soon as it can be made possible.

It is like people forget that is costs $40k to put a patch out on an XBOX360 title. 343i isn’t exempt from that. It is a lot of money to put into a patch. Each patch has to smash as many things as possible.

The League forums are just as bad and they still address the issues. And people there rage over balance issues constantly… I’m talking changes that make far less of a difference compared to the .2 seconds between the DMR and the BR.

I’m not saying all the complaints are justified, but some are. And 343 is accountable to the player base. Just because the forum is somewhat hostile doesn’t mean they shouldn’t contribute…

did bungie ever do that kind of stuff like communicate with the fans or answer or fix our problems right away? Nope… It took time.

> The League forums are just as bad and they still address the issues. And people there rage over balance issues constantly… I’m talking changes that make far less of a difference compared to the .2 seconds between the DMR and the BR.
>
> I’m not saying all the complaints are justified, but some are. And 343 is accountable to the player base. Just because the forum is somewhat hostile doesn’t mean they shouldn’t contribute…

When you say League I will make the assumption that you mean League of Legends?

If so, you probably mean arguments over .2 increments in regards to AD/AP ratios - in which that fraction would matter and likely not have anything to do with time.

Each game has very different rules about that kind of thing. I’d go more into it, as you do have a fair point, but for the sake of brevity I’ll leave it at ‘In League you are seeing very, very, very different types of balance then Halo will ever need.’

Leauge of Legends fans are pretty demanding, that is true, but they also almost worship Riot employees. You wont see many people talk back at them. You wont see many people lash out about them. They show up like it is some celebrity cameo and either impart some fact or thought and then they typically leave. Much like Bungie.

343i has to work into getting Halo right. They have an equally demanding fanbase as Bungie and LACK the ability to say they invented the series. They will always be looked down up unreasonably by some portion of this community PURELY because people will feel Bungie games where better, even if at some point in the future 343i manages to pass them up.

For them, right now, it would be hard to communicate with the forums considering all you see is angry and criticism and they already have mountains of work cut out as they try to make Halo 4 into something better then it is now.

We know for a fact they aren’t doing nothing. There are weekly playlist changes and we know for a fact DLC is coming and not far away. There is action.

We also know they are listening. We still have SWAT don’t we? They know we want it to stay. They kept it. They didn’t keep it on because that was always the plan. It was going to be gone by the time Team Snipers rolled around - They kept it because they heard the community wanted it to stay.

It’ll likely keep staying right on through until its population floors too. Here for as long as we want it.

> did bungie ever do that kind of stuff like communicate with the fans or answer or fix our problems right away? Nope… It took time.

Bungie wasn’t EXTREMELY vocal, but they did typically communicate a little more with the community then 343i has chosen to recently.

> did bungie ever do that kind of stuff like communicate with the fans or answer or fix our problems right away? Nope… It took time.

They did communicate sometimes with the community to ether hand a joke off, call a bad troll out and other times if you were lucky I guess they would be discussing a problem and how to solve it.If anything bungie more vocal TBH. (Don’t quote me on all of that plz)

@Phynixblack

I didn’t want to quote your entire last post, but wow man, that was really insightful. I think you view the situation pretty clearly and the way you outlined it I don’t have any choice but to completely agree with you. Well said friend.

> @Phynixblack
>
> I didn’t want to quote your entire last post, but wow man, that was really insightful. I think you view the situation pretty clearly and the way you outlined it I don’t have any choice but to completely agree with you. Well said friend.

I’ve been playing Videogames so long. Not just one kind. I play just about everything. My hobby is no small one.

I’ve seen other series go through what Halo is getting through and honestly Halo 4 is looking pretty fantastic considering it could have been an ugly, messy flop.

343i is doing okay and despite really kinda dropping the ball on bits of the execution I’d say we have a handsome Halo game on our hands. For the most part all this new stuff is pretty positive.

The game is a mess but it kinda makes sense. It probably came out of the oven a tad early.

I think a lot of the worst of what ails the community actually turn out of be tiny issues in the long run. Even the flavor of the month topic ‘Is the DMR OP’ has a ridiculously simple explanation and an equally simple solution.

@Phynixblack

I agree that 343 has made a great game with some flaws.
The point was that 343 needs to interact more with the community or at least acknowledge it.

SWAT is still here was the argument, but that’s not really the case.
The game type is still here because people play it, not because 343 is listening.
It’s stat tracking, not listening.

OK so they will not go on the forums, because it’s an angry mess.
If they took the time to show up sooner this would not be a problem.
People like to be know that their voice is heard, not ignored.
If 343 can’t handle that, well close the forum then.
Doing nothing is never the answer, 343 should just tell us what is going on.

Maybe then the community, the people, the consumers, the 60 bucks would calm done and see that people are working on a game they like.

Sorry for the rant, nothing personal.

They dropped the ball on so many things that our population has dropped 3.9 million people.

> @Phynixblack
>
> I agree that 343 has made a great game with some flaws.
> The point was that 343 needs to interact more with the community or at least acknowledge it.
>
> SWAT is still here was the argument, but that’s not really the case.
> The game type is still here because people play it, not because 343 is listening.
> It’s stat tracking, not listening.
>
> OK so they will not go on the forums, because it’s an angry mess.
> If they took the time to show up sooner this would not be a problem.
> People like to be know that their voice is heard, not ignored.
> If 343 can’t handle that, well close the forum then.
> Doing nothing is never the answer, 343 should just tell us what is going on.
>
> Maybe then the community, the people, the consumers, the 60 bucks would calm done and see that people are working on a game they like.
>
> Sorry for the rant, nothing personal.

No. I get it. I wish it where easier for me to give you a real reason why. Even for me it is just relaying what I’ve seen elsewhere.

Developers talking to the fans isn’t particularly easy to talk about. It is always a big discussion on ‘Shoulda/Woulda/Coulda’ type issues.

As for SWAT, that isn’t some automated thing. They noticed it is popular and they noticed we were asking for it to stay. Thus is was kept on board. They had to make the choice to keep it on the rotation.

> > did bungie ever do that kind of stuff like communicate with the fans or answer or fix our problems right away? Nope… It took time.
>
> Bungie wasn’t EXTREMELY vocal, but they did typically communicate a little more with the community then 343i has chosen to recently.

343 does communicate. Through bulletins, Twitter, and NeoGAF.

They don’t have time to post anymore because their counting our money

> > > did bungie ever do that kind of stuff like communicate with the fans or answer or fix our problems right away? Nope… It took time.
> >
> > Bungie wasn’t EXTREMELY vocal, but they did typically communicate a little more with the community then 343i has chosen to recently.
>
> 343 does communicate. Through bulletins, Twitter, and NeoGAF.

Really? Communication implies a two-way dialog. So far, all I’ve seen is one-way marketing propaganda. I don’t use Twitter, so I could have certainly missed something there. Why have Waypoint, though, if you’re not going to use it to communicate?

Look…the way I see it, 343’s lack of communication with the community is nothing more than large, corporate PR strategy. It looks very similar to how the large corporations I’ve worked for behave. They ignore the clamor and wait for things to quiet down, all while absorbing the feedback. They look for trends, discarding the one-offs and the minor issues. They start by hitting the “low hanging fruit” (leaving SWAT in the playlists), all while quietly developing a strategy for the big issues that people are screaming about. By modifying the small, quick-fix stuff, they can say that they’ve responded, and by the time the big fixes are ready to roll out, they can tell their senior management that they’ve been working with the community. Large, corporate PR strategy…simple as that.

We have to realize that our precious Halo was purchased by one of the largest corporations on earth. It is no longer “our” Halo. It now belongs exclusively to Microsoft. We’d better get used to that.

Neogaf is a refuge for them. But that doesn’t mean they aren’t reading our posts.

> Lets be really honest.
>
> Look at the first page. Do you see a lot of support or good will? There is an endless stream of hostility and general discontent as people find every little issue to be angry about and blow it up.
>
> This entire forum can’t stop arguing over a fraction of a seconds difference in killtimes for the DMR and BR. Seriously, this entire community is at a standstill over .2 seconds.
>
> It is like people have forced themselves to be SO unhappy that the whole thing imploded and now people think a fraction of a second matters.
>
> An angry implosion. Consider that.
>
>
> What in the hell do you think they could POSSIBLY say that this forum wouldn’t spit back in their face and be generally angry about?
>
> All they can do is try to act on everything as soon as it can be made possible.
>
>
> <mark>It is like people forget that is costs $40k to put a patch out on an XBOX360 title.</mark> 343i isn’t exempt from that. It is a lot of money to put into a patch. Each patch has to smash as many things as possible.

Let us act like they didn’t make millions upon millions of dollars. 40k is NOTHING compared to what they made off of this game already. A forty thousand dollar patch is well with in their budget. They could put out 5 patches and not even notice any money missing

> They dropped the ball on so many things that our population has dropped 3.9 million people.

Sorry do you work for Xbox Live or 343i?

Where do you get these figures from. If your going by the playlist numbers thats only how many people are playing the game at a certain time.

That does not state how many unique players.

To say 3.9 million have dropped the game is stupid, you have no idea how many people play the game. You only know how many people are playing the game at the time you look at the playlist numbers.