The "points" in Halo multiplayer must go!

Hello everyone! I came here to comment on a detail about the multiplayer of H4 that I personally did not like: I’m talking about the “points” that you gain when you kill, distract and help a teammate. These points are one of the reasons that everyone is talking about Halo 4 is looking like a CoD, and who played the multiplayer of Halo 3 knows that these “detail” did not fit very well in Halo 4. I kill an enemy by pure and simple pleasure of killing the -Yoink- who killed me with a sniper and hid in camouflage, not crap “points”. That’s what I’d like to discuss with you in the forum, and I really wish I had not the new Halo have this pints in multiplayer. This sort of thing is best to stick with Cod.

Its in multiple games not just CoD before accusing games of coping CoD play other games to see the features they have. And i can list alot that have “CoD” elements

> Its in multiple games not just CoD before accusing games of coping CoD play other games to see the features they have. And i can list alot that have “CoD” elements

Either way though, it just shows a lack of true innovation on Halo’s end if the best it can do is imitate “modern shooters”. Not that the points really bug me, but they are pretty shallow and arbitrary ways to convey accomplishment.

> > Its in multiple games not just CoD before accusing games of coping CoD play other games to see the features they have. And i can list alot that have “CoD” elements
>
> Either way though, it just shows a lack of true innovation on Halo’s end if the best it can do is imitate “modern shooters”. Not that the points really bug me, but they are pretty shallow and arbitrary ways to convey accomplishment.

The gamer community has hit a point to refuse innovation or claim it to be copied from another game. You could say a game has copied everything from one game doesn’t mean they are lazy. Remember 343i had to build halo 4 from the ground up and did pretty well from starting from scratch its not like they took all the files from other games and copy and pasted them.

> The gamer community has hit a point to refuse innovation or claim it to be copied from another game.

What does Halo 4 do that actually innovates? Loadouts significantly hurt Halo’s great vehicle combat with the ability to spawn with the Plasma Pistol and Plasma Grenades. Ordinance ruin any sense of balance during matches when random power weapons and abilities decide matches more than individual skill. Maps are built more with Armor Abilities in mind than anything else, lots of ledges and wide open areas to run, but by expanding you lose Halo’s roots as an arena shooter even more by neglecting smaller scale environments.

If this is combat evolved, then it is an evolutionary dead end. It’s a penguin lost in the Sahara.

> You could say a game has copied everything from one game doesn’t mean they are lazy.

I didn’t say they were lazy, but that the features they pulled from modern shooters to innovate Halo failed to accomplish that task.

> Remember 343i had to build halo 4 from the ground up and did pretty well from starting from scratch its not like they took all the files from other games and copy and pasted them.

What if you don’t believe they did pretty well? It sold well enough, but it didn’t retain many players.

I see them as a way for supporting players and objective-scoring players to rank as high on the team as others. It also rewards players for going after the objective.

For example, in an Oddball game, the player who carries the Oddball the entire game is obviously going to have a worse K/D than those who’d rather just kill and avoid it. If the scoring system was based solely on kills, he’d place very low on the team and would probably be harassed for sucking, even though his holding the Oddball was what won the game. Who would want to grab the Oddball then if they have to deal with that abuse? With the points system, the player who held the Oddball will be compensated for his sacrifice with a score.

For this reason, I do not wish to see the points system go. However, I wouldn’t mind if they eliminated points for some of the Combat Opportunity medals like Close Call, Comeback Kill, Headcase, and Reload This.

I’d still like the notification I got the kill, I don’t care about the points or medal, I just want to know if I got the kill of not by looking at the side, on CE (PC) it’s not the easiest thing to see and I’ve died by looking off to the side to see if I got the kill or not

> > The gamer community has hit a point to refuse innovation or claim it to be copied from another game.
>
> What does Halo 4 do that actually innovates? Loadouts significantly hurt Halo’s great vehicle combat with the ability to spawn with the Plasma Pistol and Plasma Grenades. Ordinance ruin any sense of balance during matches when random power weapons and abilities decide matches more than individual skill. Maps are built more with Armor Abilities in mind than anything else, lots of ledges and wide open areas to run, but by expanding you lose Halo’s roots as an arena shooter even more by neglecting smaller scale environments.
>
> If this is combat evolved, then it is an evolutionary dead end. It’s a penguin lost in the Sahara.
>
>
>
> > You could say a game has copied everything from one game doesn’t mean they are lazy.
>
> I didn’t say they were lazy, but that the features they pulled from modern shooters to innovate Halo failed to accomplish that task.
>
>
>
> > Remember 343i had to build halo 4 from the ground up and did pretty well from starting from scratch its not like they took all the files from other games and copy and pasted them.
>
> What if you don’t believe they did pretty well? It sold well enough, but it didn’t retain many players.

You claimed they had a lack of innovation due to copying CoD loadouts wasn’t a bad idea just wasn’t implemented well yet again new feature in a game that’s never really had it. This is their first major title of course it will have issues. And when i said the community refuses innovation i didn’t mean halo 4 the community has always -Yoinked!- about halos innovations like dual wield, equipment, and sprint

> I see them as a way for supporting players and objective-scoring players to rank as high on the team as others. It also rewards players for going after the objective.
>
> For example, in an Oddball game, the player who carries the Oddball the entire game is obviously going to have a worse K/D than those who’d rather just kill and avoid it. If the scoring system was based solely on kills, he’d place very low on the team and would probably be harassed for sucking, even though his holding the Oddball was what won the game. Who would want to grab the Oddball then if they have to deal with that abuse? With the points system, the player who held the Oddball will be compensated for his sacrifice with a score.
>
> For this reason, I do not wish to see the points system go. However, I wouldn’t mind if they eliminated points for some of the Combat Opportunity medals like Close Call, Comeback Kill, Headcase, and Reload This.

Instead of scoring individual “points”, why they simply give much more XP for the winning team in game modes with objectives? That would solve the problem in these terms.

> > Its in multiple games not just CoD before accusing games of coping CoD play other games to see the features they have. And i can list alot that have “CoD” elements
>
> Either way though, it just shows a lack of true innovation on Halo’s end if the best it can do is imitate “modern shooters”. Not that the points really bug me, but they are pretty shallow and arbitrary ways to convey accomplishment.

Congratulations, you’ve just got 5 points for letting a teammate shoot your opponent for you! Here, take a free shotgun!

REQUEST COMFIRMED

And somehow people still manage to support such a flawed concept… I will cry if PODs return in Halo 5, it was just another failed attempt at copying CoD.

> > > Its in multiple games not just CoD before accusing games of coping CoD play other games to see the features they have. And i can list alot that have “CoD” elements
> >
> > Either way though, it just shows a lack of true innovation on Halo’s end if the best it can do is imitate “modern shooters”. Not that the points really bug me, but they are pretty shallow and arbitrary ways to convey accomplishment.
>
> Congratulations, you’ve just got 5 points for letting a teammate shoot your opponent for you! Here, take a free shotgun!
>
> REQUEST COMFIRMED
>
> And somehow people still manage to support such a flawed concept… I will cry if PODs return in Halo 5, it was just another failed attempt at copying CoD.

I can deal with Personal Ordnance as long as it’s only ammo

Please, the points are just confusing and annoying. You win when your team reaches 50 kills, making it 25000 pts just to make it seem like you accomplished something big when you really didn’t is pointless.

HALO is far from over people…

I’d say it’s less the points that are the problem, and more the over-abundance of medals.

There is literally a “Kill” Medal. that’s plain ridiculous. When you get a medal, it should be for performing a FEAT. Several kills in a row. Several kills without a death. Several kills with a specific weapon without dying. These are good medals.

The medals I’d like to see disappear completely include:

Kill (Just Killing Sprees/Multi-Kills please)
Headshot Kill (Wouldn’t mind seeing a “Hat Trick” medal for a Triple Kill with Headshots)
Grenade Kill (Keep Hail Mary though)
Sniper Rifle Kill (Replace with Sniper Headshot, and Sniper Spree)
Supercombine (It’s literally “Needler kill”, should just have a Needler Spree)
Sword Kill (Replace with Sword Spree)
Rocket Kill (Replace with Rocket Spree)
Railgun Kill (Replace with Railgun Spree)
Plasma Kill (Stick only, PLEASE)
Beam Rifle Kill (Replace with Beam Rifle Spree)
Binary Rifle Kill (Replace with Binary Rifle Spree)
Splaser Kill (Just Laser Spree)
Fuel Rod Kill (Just Fuel Rod Spree)
Hammer Kill (Just Hammer Spree)
Beat Down (Keep Assassination
Airsassination (Just keep Assassination)

Revenge
Ordinance Earned
Reload This
Avenger
Protector
Close Call
Headcase
Skyjack (Just use Hijack)
Retribution
Vengeance
Also fix last strike and keep it. (It’s supposed to award the player who scored the game winning kill)

Assist (keep Assist Sprees)
Distraction
Vehicle Destroy Assist
Guardian Angel
EMP Assist
Flyin’ High
Road Trip (Just use Splatter)
Bodyguard

Modify Comeback Kill to award after 5 deaths

King Kill
Modify Base Defense to killing the player who is actively taking your base in Dominion
Hill +5
Flag Defense
King Assist
Flood Kill
Base Offense
Modify Flag Kill to killing a player with the Flag Melee only
Resupply Assist
Hill Offense
Base Capture Initiated
Beacon Armed
Flood Conversion
Hill Defense (Just use Hail to the King)
Carrier Kill Asssist
Flag Assist
Turret Built
Capture Initiation Assist
Hill Assist
Site Offense
Beacon Converted
Flood Kill Assist
Turret Destroyed
Capture Assist
Ball Holder
Flag Runner (Just keep to Flag Captured)
Flag Driver
Hill +10
Fortification Assist
Kingtacular (Just keep King Sprees)
Ball Keeper
Flood Hunter (Just killing spree is fine)
Final Conversion (Just keep Last Strike)
Arm Assist
Flag Champion
Modify King Slayer to 5 times in a row
Reign of Terror
Ball Master
Infector
Extraction Assist
Vehicle Hill +5
Alpha Conversion
Saviour
Convert Assist
Smooth Moves (just keep Triple Kill)
Flood Survivor
Magic Hands
Ball Hog
Hill +15
Expert Extraction
Carrier
Kill Shot! (Just keep Last Strike)
Vehicle Hill +10
Regime Change
Vehicle Dominance (Just use Hill Dominance)
Long Bomb (Just use Catch)
Base Conqueror
Shield Door Destroyed
Vehicle Hill +15
Flood Exterminator
Juggernaut
Ballsassination (Just use Assassination)
Gotcha!
Nice catch!
Flagsassination
Sapper
Chief Engineer
Demolition Expert
Site Saviour
Breach
Security Chief
Site Defense

It works very well in Flood. I love the point system in there.

It works in other things too (like Regicide), but that doesn’t mean it needs to be in every gametype. Slayer, for example, has no need for the point system since it doesn’t even count assists and other things.

Individual points, I’m completely fine with. Score points though, are sometimes pointless, but other times are necessary/nice.

Yeah, I don’t really like the point system, it feels forced and unnecessary.

I don’t hate it, but I would much rather have what we had in Halo 1-3.

I don’t dislike the point system at all. Rather, I dislike the things that they tack onto it, like unnecessary medals and ordinance. The points themselves help accumulate and identify who contributed to the team more than simple kills, but the announcement of those contributions (no matter how small and insignificant e.g. Distractions, etc.) during gameplay is the real problem in my opinion. It detracts from the actual combat, with white text appearing above by reticle after every kill, assist, and even just getting shot while my teammate kills an enemy. Its ridiculous and isn’t the part of the point system that actually can make someone know they’ve done a good job.

Short version: the smaller medals needn’t be visible, just help account for points.

I also have a low opinion for the additions of loadouts and ordinance, which I think is justified by the fact that it doesn’t work as smoothly or fairly as placing weapons on the map. Reward players for managing to hold the area where a weapon spawns, rather than giving them to players from out of the sky.