the pilot in the E3.

So another topic about this so far unknown pilot. This time it’s about creating speculations about whether he has a role in the game and if so will it be supporting, some quick acquintance or perhaps something else?
And if he is some form of noticeable character then what kind of role could he have?

So, what we know so far is that he knows about various technology, I could understand pilots having technical knowledge about the machines they fly around but the pilot also talks about the condition of the armor as well. Even though it’s mimiccing the words of gunny from Halo 2 (along infinite trailers having throwbacks to older music from the franchise, in this case near the end of the trailer a form of old music with a bit of mixing) it’s still part of the trailer which could turn to a point in the game (perhaps even scientist/worker turned soldier in yet again final efforts of the humanity?).

Next is that the pilot gets quite some screentime in the trailer with part of it being seemingly an attempt to form emotions in the viewer into perhaps siding with the character even. This could imply the return of this particular character in the finalized product.

So, thoughts? Could this be the next foehammer type of character? Or perhaps a character with blatantly obvious developlent like raising in ranks? Perhaps some other type of subtle character?

And if it wasn’t put clearly enough, this is obviously a speculation thread so go wild.

We already have a greater emotional connection to him than Blue Team or Osiris (aside from Buck and Chief), so it’d be cool to see him in the campaign. However, I’ll understand if he’s purely symbolic of humanity having given up, only for Chief to come back and save them.

> 2535419441797248;2:
> We already have a greater emotional connection to him than Blue Team or Osiris (aside from Buck and Chief), so it’d be cool to see him in the campaign. However, I’ll understand if he’s purely symbolic of humanity having given up, only for Chief to come back and save them.

This is sadly quite true. And we don’t even know his name or rank.

I miss Halo having memorable characters in the campaign.

But I mostly miss Sergeant Johnson.

I hope this guy at least gives us a few memorable one-liners. Even a single chuckle-worthy line will make this guy more memorable than most of Halo 5’s cast. Then again, that game somehow made The Arbiter unremarkable when we finally encountered him, so pretty much ANYTHING would be an improvement at this point. I also dig how the pilot has what appear to be Combat Evolved/Reach era fatigues. That’s a nice touch, and it helps us think of better times when the franchise was still the envy of everyone else.

I’m interested to see where he goes with Halo Infinite. I’m all for new characters, and as mentioned, we’ve already gained an emotional connection with him. I’ll be excited to see what happens.

> 2533274863330793;3:
> > 2535419441797248;2:
> > We already have a greater emotional connection to him than Blue Team or Osiris (aside from Buck and Chief), so it’d be cool to see him in the campaign. However, I’ll understand if he’s purely symbolic of humanity having given up, only for Chief to come back and save them.
>
> I miss Halo having memorable characters in the campaign.

I honestly think Lasky has great potential. He was good in Halo 4, and had Chief’s back. I also really enjoyed him in Spartan Ops (which is actually called Halo: Infinity on the title screen of each episode), and his compassion towards Halsey. He didn’t just willingly accept the order to have her assassinated, and actually sent fireteam Majestic to prevent Palmer from doing so, because he had the common sense to know she isn’t the enemy, and that the UNSC aren’t ONI’s hitmen. I also believe he partly did that for Chief, because he would assume the care she showed for him would have been reciprocated, to an extent. After the death of Cortana, he wouldn’t want to kill another person from Chief’s life. He was badass too, by actually defending his ship and crew with a weapon in hand, just as Captain Keyes did while escaping the Truth and Reconciliation in CE.

But as with every other character, he was squandered in Halo 5.

> 2535419441797248;2:
> We already have a greater emotional connection to him than Blue Team or Osiris (aside from Buck and Chief), so it’d be cool to see him in the campaign. However, I’ll understand if he’s purely symbolic of humanity having given up, only for Chief to come back and save them.

It’s pretty much fine either way, but do you have a speculation in addition to resolving in understanding the situation of possibility of simple symbolism for the trailer & potential of early character development?

> 2533274863330793;3:
> > 2535419441797248;2:
> > We already have a greater emotional connection to him than Blue Team or Osiris (aside from Buck and Chief), so it’d be cool to see him in the campaign. However, I’ll understand if he’s purely symbolic of humanity having given up, only for Chief to come back and save them.
>
> This is sadly quite true. And we don’t even know his name or rank.
>
> I miss Halo having memorable characters in the campaign.
>
> But I mostly miss Sergeant Johnson.
>
> I hope this guy at least gives us a few memorable one-liners. Even a single chuckle-worthy line will make this guy more memorable than most of Halo 5’s cast. Then again, that game somehow made The Arbiter unremarkable when we finally encountered him, so pretty much ANYTHING would be an improvement at this point. I also dig how the pilot has what appear to be Combat Evolved/Reach era fatigues. That’s a nice touch, and it helps us think of better times when the franchise was still the envy of everyone else.

Name & rank doesn’t mean much inside the game itself, obviously depending on the type of character but some cases, like during the time of Halo Combat Evolved the marines were enjoyable battlefield companions even though most of their names werent mentioned in the game with certain someone being referred as “sarge” alongside of some named minor characters. There can be good & subtle characters we know little off of. Though this pilot seems to be more like the type that is visibly developed throughout the game, sometimes blatantly obviously, even too much so with unnatural amount of drama.

And sarge is one of the, if not the, most missed characters in the franchise. Though it might have been better that his story ended where it did before his character would have been ruined or watered down. And the good thing is that his stories can be revisited. The man, the legend, the character of absurd bad***ery reaching comical limits.

And when you hit rock bottom, the only way is up (so to speak even though “up” itself dependant of context in a universe with no beginning nor end while simultaneously implying there is no way through the rock) so if this pilot is in the game I sincerely hope he would make better character than any in H5g for it would even show improvement in development skills which obviously would be positive outcome and visage for brighter future in terms of Halo franchise.

And concerning the uniform, I get the coveralls which are pretty standard if weirdly colored but the light combat harness seems off for a pilot class operator in the Halo franchise. Though I have another topic for that so let’s not go there on this one.

So hopes I read but might you have speculations of the role of this pilot? Might you hope for supporting minor character, perhaps a developing addition to familiar faces or perhaps something entirely different?

This was also pulled from 343i, so the pilot defiantly has some bigger role in this story line.

“We’re ecstatic to share the “Discover Hope” video which introduces a new character and heralds the return of our iconic hero amidst dire and mysterious circumstances.”

> 2533274820541653;4:
> I’m interested to see where he goes with Halo Infinite. I’m all for new characters, and as mentioned, we’ve already gained an emotional connection with him. I’ll be excited to see what happens.

I’m sincerely motivated to go kick some AI -Yoink- to get this father back to his baby, and that’s from a 6 minute trailer. I couldn’t even tell you Blue Team’s names besides Buck (he’s the black guy leader, right?)

> 2533274890014309;6:
> > 2535419441797248;2:
>
> It’s pretty much fine either way, but do you have a speculation in addition to resolving in understanding the situation of possibility of simple symbolism for the trailer & potential of early character development?

Not really, no. But since he was given quite a bit of attention, it would seem a waste not to include him. Especially since everyone I’ve seen, regardless of their thoughts on the rest of the trailer and Halo coverage, liked the pilot.

> 2535419441797248;9:
> > 2533274890014309;6:
> > > 2535419441797248;2:
> > > We already have a greater emotional connection to him than Blue Team or Osiris (aside from Buck and Chief), so it’d be cool to see him in the campaign. However, I’ll understand if he’s purely symbolic of humanity having given up, only for Chief to come back and save them.
> >
> > It’s pretty much fine either way, but do you have a speculation in addition to resolving in understanding the situation of possibility of simple symbolism for the trailer & potential of early character development?
>
> Not really, no. But since he was given quite a bit of attention, it would seem a waste not to include him. Especially since everyone I’ve seen, regardless of their thoughts on the rest of the trailer and Halo coverage, liked the pilot.

343 has also mentioned in their post about the matter that we would be learning more. Even if this scene per se is not part of the game itself, I think the Pilot will be a character in the story. It’s a great tool to act as exposition: as he explains what happened in the 3 years since Halo 5 to Chief, he explains where we are and what happened to us.

> 2533274795938680;10:
> > 2535419441797248;9:
> > > 2533274890014309;6:
> > > > 2535419441797248;2:
> > > > We already have a greater emotional connection to him than Blue Team or Osiris (aside from Buck and Chief), so it’d be cool to see him in the campaign. However, I’ll understand if he’s purely symbolic of humanity having given up, only for Chief to come back and save them.
> > >
> > > It’s pretty much fine either way, but do you have a speculation in addition to resolving in understanding the situation of possibility of simple symbolism for the trailer & potential of early character development?
> >
> > Not really, no. But since he was given quite a bit of attention, it would seem a waste not to include him. Especially since everyone I’ve seen, regardless of their thoughts on the rest of the trailer and Halo coverage, liked the pilot.
>
> 343 has also mentioned in their post about the matter that we would be learning more. Even if this scene per se is not part of the game itself, I think the Pilot will be a character in the story. It’s a great tool to act as exposition: as he explains what happened in the 3 years since Halo 5 to Chief, he explains where we are and what happened to us.

Mm, I’ve just seen that in their post. It’s good to hear. Maybe he will be the new Foehammer, but with more personality.

> 2533274820541653;7:
> This was also pulled from 343i, so the pilot defiantly has some bigger role in this story line.
>
> “We’re ecstatic to share the “Discover Hope” video which introduces a new character and heralds the return of our iconic hero amidst dire and mysterious circumstances.”

Well that definitely was put there rather out in the open so link to what includes, if not that exact quote, then at least same thing but worded a bit differently.

So as of there will be several new characters, including the pilot, we can move on to the second part of the speculation which is included in the original topic. So what sort of role do you think he has in the game, any thoughts?

Let’s just leave speculation of those “other characters” for now. At least with the pilot we still have something to grasp on given the visual appearance.

> 2533274795938680;10:
> > 2535419441797248;9:
> > > 2533274890014309;6:
> > > > 2535419441797248;2:
> > > > We already have a greater emotional connection to him than Blue Team or Osiris (aside from Buck and Chief), so it’d be cool to see him in the campaign. However, I’ll understand if he’s purely symbolic of humanity having given up, only for Chief to come back and save them.
> > >
> > > It’s pretty much fine either way, but do you have a speculation in addition to resolving in understanding the situation of possibility of simple symbolism for the trailer & potential of early character development?
> >
> > Not really, no. But since he was given quite a bit of attention, it would seem a waste not to include him. Especially since everyone I’ve seen, regardless of their thoughts on the rest of the trailer and Halo coverage, liked the pilot.
>
> 343 has also mentioned in their post about the matter that we would be learning more. Even if this scene per se is not part of the game itself, I think the Pilot will be a character in the story. It’s a great tool to act as exposition: as he explains what happened in the 3 years since Halo 5 to Chief, he explains where we are and what happened to us.

So mister exposition man could be the fate of this character, not a bad guess I would say.

> 2533274890014309;12:
> > 2533274820541653;7:
> > This was also pulled from 343i, so the pilot defiantly has some bigger role in this story line.
> >
> > “We’re ecstatic to share the “Discover Hope” video which introduces a new character and heralds the return of our iconic hero amidst dire and mysterious circumstances.”
>
> Well that definitely was put there rather out in the open so link to what includes, if not that exact quote, then at least same thing but worded a bit differently.
>
> So as of there will be several new characters, including the pilot, we can move on to the second part of the speculation which is included in the original topic. So what sort of role do you think he has in the game, any thoughts?
>
> Let’s just leave speculation of those “other characters” for now. At least with the pilot we still have something to grasp on given the visual appearance.

[Quote]
(https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/06/09/halo-at-e3-2019/)The quote I referred to is located on this page, not the one you linked.

> 2533274820541653;14:
> > 2533274890014309;12:
> > > 2533274820541653;7:
> > > This was also pulled from 343i, so the pilot defiantly has some bigger role in this story line.
> > >
> > > “We’re ecstatic to share the “Discover Hope” video which introduces a new character and heralds the return of our iconic hero amidst dire and mysterious circumstances.”
> >
> > Well that definitely was put there rather out in the open so link to what includes, if not that exact quote, then at least same thing but worded a bit differently.
> >
> > So as of there will be several new characters, including the pilot, we can move on to the second part of the speculation which is included in the original topic. So what sort of role do you think he has in the game, any thoughts?
> >
> > Let’s just leave speculation of those “other characters” for now. At least with the pilot we still have something to grasp on given the visual appearance.
>
>

[Quote]
(https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/06/09/halo-at-e3-2019/)The quote I referred to is located on this page, not the one you linked.

Well, good to have it on the archives on this topic for the future readers. The point though, still is the same. The pilot is, if not obviously confirmed, then at least heavily implied to be in the game. Unless some development cycle forces him to be dropped out.

My safe bet is he’s the next Foehammer. Seems to me to have a nice personality for the role. Not one to eagerly go guns blazing but is handy and seems caring. A nice contrast to Chief’s stiff demeanor.

For instance, I can see a situation playing out where he’s dropping Chief off at a checkpoint and making his own remarks out loud about the area and his concerns and before he opens the hatch gives final warning to Chief. Later when Chief is reaching the LZ the ‘pilot’ is struggling under the pressure of aerial harassment and says, “I can’t shake em! You’ll have to find another way!” to which Chief responds, “No, fly under past the bridge, I’ll handle the rest.” “Are you loco?! You’ll never make it!” “Trust me.” screams and grunts ensue as the pilot flies for his life and does as Chief asked and against all odds the jump from the bridge is successful as he lands on top of the pelican and proceeds to shoot the opposing banshees out of the sky, much to the pilot’s relief.

Hopefully whatever his role we see much more of him.

> 2533274810100046;16:
> My safe bet is he’s the next Foehammer. Seems to me to have a nice personality for the role. Not one to eagerly go guns blazing but is handy and seems caring. A nice contrast to Chief’s stiff demeanor.
>
> For instance, I can see a situation playing out where he’s dropping Chief off at a checkpoint and making his own remarks out loud about the area and his concerns and before he opens the hatch gives final warning to Chief. Later when Chief is reaching the LZ the ‘pilot’ is struggling under the pressure of aerial harassment and says, “I can’t shake em! You’ll have to find another way!” to which Chief responds, “No, fly under past the bridge, I’ll handle the rest.” “Are you loco?! You’ll never make it!” “Trust me.” screams and grunts ensue as the pilot flies for his life and does as Chief asked and against all odds the jump from the bridge is successful as he lands on top of the pelican and proceeds to shoot the opposing banshees out of the sky, much to the pilot’s relief.
>
> Hopefully whatever his role we see much more of him.

The foehammer type gameplay role would definitely bring surprising amount of screentime, or rather dialogue but still, a presence.

And nicely detailed section, good speculation.

Like others have said, he is already shaping up to be a more developed character than most of the cast in Halo 5, and I am very interested to see what 343 does with him.

> 2533274888352703;18:
> Like others have said, he is already shaping up to be a more developed character than most of the cast in Halo 5, and I am very interested to see what 343 does with him.

So akin to what I ask from others (if there already isn’t speculations or related to speculation content), do you have any hopes of what type of character he could become? Like some of the example types of character or something different?

And any speculations on how 343i could best utilize his character based on early character development?

> 2533274890014309;19:
> > 2533274888352703;18:
> > Like others have said, he is already shaping up to be a more developed character than most of the cast in Halo 5, and I am very interested to see what 343 does with him.
>
> So akin to what I ask from others (if there already isn’t speculations or related to speculation content), do you have any hopes of what type of character he could become? Like some of the example types of character or something different?
>
> And any speculations on how 343i could best utilize his character based on early character development?

Based on what we have seen so far, I could see him being a mix of Foehammer from Combat Evolved and Sergeant Johnson in terms of characterisation.

As for his role in the campaign, he will almost certainly help the Chief travel across the Halo Ring, and fill him in on what has transpired since he became lost in space. With regards to the story, I can see him being used to give the narrative a more human quality, as well as intensify the emotional beats in the story. We saw a bit of that the trailer where the Pilot goes from feeling hopeless and frightened as the pelican is losing power, to elated after powering up the Chief’s suit. It gives the player a stronger emotional connection to what is happening.