The "Perks" quote, and Frankie's Explanation.

So here’s the quote everyone’s getting riled up about:

> And there will be perks, a new way to customize your Spartan IVs armor changing not just the look, but their balance.
>
> While these armor upgrades were seen in Halo 3 and Reach, they’re no longer solely cosmetic. Perhaps in deference to the booming trajectory of the Call of Duty titles, for the first time, a Halo game will feature a persistent upgrade system that directly affects gameplay. While the developers refused to divulge much in the way of details – for example, whether there would be weapon based abilities, or whether weapons would be unlockable – this is a significant shift for the series, and should make for a much different online experience in Halo 4.

And here’s Frankie’s rationalization for it:

> “What we do take very seriously is changing player habits,” he said. "So rather than chasing Call of Duty or Battlefield and trying to do their thing and doing it poorly and doing injustice to it, we’re trying to do our own thing, and do something fairly original but still something that’s completely compatible with the Halo universe.
>
> “Halo’s not Call of Duty. Halo’s a sandbox game about really emergent things. A lot of things that worked great about Call of Duty – and don’t get me wrong, I was addicted to Black Ops all of last year – they do player rewards really well. We’re not trying to do the same thing, it’s as simple as that. We’re trying to do something else, and to push our game forwards and not theirs.”

I’m not quite sure what to make of it. It SOUNDS like they’re trying to move in a separate direction and not do the exact same thing Call of Duty is doing with their perks and upgrades. However, the fact that they have this kind of system at all truly worries me and makes me think that no matter how hard they try to get away from that system…It’ll be just as much like CoD as we all fear.

Also, the philosophy of “Everyone starts equal” has been thrown out the window here, so that’s another big controversy.

Do you believe Frankie? Do you trust 343 that much to not do a carbon copy of CoD’s system?

just when i was getting excited…

Frankie is god. I am a firm Beli343r.

“Also, the philosophy of “Everyone starts equal” has been thrown out the window here, so that’s another big controversy.”

You don’t know that; not yet.

> “Also, the philosophy of “Everyone starts equal” has been thrown out the window here, so that’s another big controversy.”
>
> You don’t know that; not yet.

PERKS.
LOADOUTS.
AAS.

That is not equal footing.

> > “Also, the philosophy of “Everyone starts equal” has been thrown out the window here, so that’s another big controversy.”
> >
> > You don’t know that; not yet.
>
> PERKS.
> LOADOUTS.
> AAS.
>
> That is not equal footing.

You’ll have access to all that stuff too. Equal footing.

I would want to try it before I buy it, but I am worried that it won’t play well especially as they aren’t doing a beta.

> > “Also, the philosophy of “Everyone starts equal” has been thrown out the window here, so that’s another big controversy.”
> >
>
> PERKS.
> LOADOUTS.
> AAS.
>

AA’s haven’t been confirmed, and no one has yet said that any of these things will be in default slayer. Frankie’s already stated that some of the new features will be gametype specific, so please stop assuming every addition is completely game wide.

I still believe, but my hope is dwindling.

Also:

> So rather than chasing Call of Duty or Battlefield and trying to do their thing and doing it poorly and doing injustice to it, we’re trying to do our own thing, and do something fairly original but still something that’s completely compatible with the Halo universe.

Haha Shots Fired Bungie!

> “What we do take very seriously is changing player habits,”

> we’re trying to do our own thing, and do something fairly original but still something that’s completely compatible with the Halo universe.

In other words, taking elements from CoD in the hopeless attempt that the game might appeal to their fanbase.

It won’t, because their love for that game is partly because of the ease to play, and partly superficial (hardcore special operatives, are super cool right?)

And in doing so, -Yoink!- off and alienating your own fanbase.

> I would want to try it before I buy it, but I am worried that it won’t play well especially as they aren’t doing a beta.

When was no beta confirmed?
Anyways, I just hope that this “upgrade” system is going to be something new, as long as it functions differently from AAs and COD perks, I will be content. From the sounds of things highly competitive play will still be the core of the game.

> [
> In other words, taking elements from CoD in the hopeless attempt that the game might appeal to their fanbase.
>
> It won’t, because their love for that game is partly because of the ease to play, and partly superficial (hardcore special operatives, are super cool right?)
>
> And in doing so, -Yoink!- off and alienating your own fanbase.

Are you saying the mere rumour of an upgrade system is a confirmation of COD like elements. This may be implemented in an absolutely new way. Maybe 343 is using the DnD rule set for all we know.

I wanna try it.

Seriously, Halo can’t stay the same forever, people will get bored.

What I specifically like is how they called out CoD and BF and told us that the Halo system would be different. That works for me.

> http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/3/5/2846548/halo-4s-perks-story-and-graphics-strive-to-redefine-a-masterpiece
>
> So here’s the quote everyone’s getting riled up about:
>
>
>
> > And there will be perks, a new way to customize your Spartan IVs armor changing not just the look, but their balance.
> >
> > While these armor upgrades were seen in Halo 3 and Reach, they’re no longer solely cosmetic. Perhaps in deference to the booming trajectory of the Call of Duty titles, for the first time, a Halo game will feature a persistent upgrade system that directly affects gameplay. While the developers refused to divulge much in the way of details – for example, whether there would be weapon based abilities, or whether weapons would be unlockable – this is a significant shift for the series, and should make for a much different online experience in Halo 4.
>
> And here’s Frankie’s rationalization for it:
>
>
>
> > “What we do take very seriously is changing player habits,” he said. "So rather than chasing Call of Duty or Battlefield and trying to do their thing and doing it poorly and doing injustice to it, we’re trying to do our own thing, and do something fairly original but still something that’s completely compatible with the Halo universe.
> >
> >
> > “Halo’s not Call of Duty. Halo’s a sandbox game about really emergent things. A lot of things that worked great about Call of Duty – and don’t get me wrong, I was addicted to Black Ops all of last year – they do player rewards really well. We’re not trying to do the same thing, it’s as simple as that. We’re trying to do something else, and to push our game forwards and not theirs.”
>
>
>
> > I’m not quite sure what to make of it. It SOUNDS like they’re trying to move in a separate direction and not do the exact same thing Call of Duty is doing with their perks and upgrades. However, the fact that they have this kind of system at all truly worries me and makes me think that no matter how hard they try to get away from that system…It’ll be just as much like CoD as we all fear.
> >
> > Also, the philosophy of “Everyone starts equal” has been thrown out the window here, so that’s another big controversy.
> >
> > Do you believe Frankie? Do you trust 343 that much to not do a carbon copy of CoD’s system?
>
> WHAT THE FUDGE ARE THEY THINKING!!!

Regardless of how he rationalizes it, they are still doing something extremely similar. Equal footing seems to have gone out the window. Custom loadouts and unlockable perks sound just like COD. I’m HOPING your armor choices don’t result in AAs but more of something like one piece of armor (say a helmet) gives you a little bit more shields or enough armor in the helmet itself to stop one or two bullets (since the damn BR is back) instead. Something like that. So much for picking your armor for appearances

> > > “Also, the philosophy of “Everyone starts equal” has been thrown out the window here, so that’s another big controversy.”
> > >
> > > You don’t know that; not yet.
> >
> > PERKS.
> > LOADOUTS.
> > AAS.
> >
> > That is not equal footing.
>
> You’ll have access to all that stuff too. Equal footing.

If you and an opponent meet each other somewhere on the map and one has an advantage because of one of these things in a certain situation then it isn’t an equal footing.

Now I can already hear you saying that it just means a more varied style of play is needed, however the amount of poo slinging and untactful BS that the armour abilities in reach brought for the most part lowered the standard of play greatly.

A community I have an interest in (MLG) which are supposed to contain some of the most competitive halo players also really struggled to implement AAs into their competitions. So if they couldn’t get them to work then it is unlikely I will find them promoting competitive play.

inb4 mlg hate

> > > “Also, the philosophy of “Everyone starts equal” has been thrown out the window here, so that’s another big controversy.”
> > >
> > > You don’t know that; not yet.
> >
> > PERKS.
> > LOADOUTS.
> > AAS.
> >
> > That is not equal footing.
>
> You’ll have access to all that stuff too. Equal footing.

They said perks are unlocked via in game progression so that means some people will have perks that you don’t have yet, which isn’t equal footing at all.

> > I would want to try it before I buy it, but I am worried that it won’t play well especially as they aren’t doing a beta.
>
> When was no beta confirmed?
> Anyways, I just hope that this “upgrade” system is going to be something new, as long as it functions differently from AAs and COD perks, I will be content. From the sounds of things highly competitive play will still be the core of the game.
>
>
>
> > [
> > In other words, taking elements from CoD in the hopeless attempt that the game might appeal to their fanbase.
> >
> > It won’t, because their love for that game is partly because of the ease to play, and partly superficial (hardcore special operatives, are super cool right?)
> >
> > And in doing so, -Yoink!- off and alienating your own fanbase.
>
> Are you saying the mere rumour of an upgrade system is a confirmation of COD like elements. This may be implemented in an absolutely new way. Maybe 343 is using the DnD rule set for all we know.

Does it matter how they’re implemented? Perks is a bad move.

I think observing Reach and implementing the classic playlist and title update settings while preserving the original game, they learned that it’s a good idea to give the players multiple options for playstyle. I hope to see in the next game an even greater effort to accomodate fans of both more faithful gameplay and more innovative.

> >
>
> PERKS.
> LOADOUTS.
> AAS.
>

Well that philosophy really doesn’t make sense to me because you start off the same, but everyone rushes to their favourite weapon or pickup and that’s not equal footing, specially when everyone waits for the sniper or shotgun to respawn instead of focusing on killing the other team.

The real philosphy is that not everyone has access to the same weapons and abilities throughout the game, and one player picking up something makes it unavailable for everyone else. If they can work around that somehow, then it could definately work.

After the giant disappointment that was reach I was finally starting to get excited for a new Halo, but of course they had to do this…