The overall problem: Too Easy.

You can go about reading people complaining about this and that on the forums. But all you really need to know about why the numbers for this game are so low is not because the graphics are breath taking, the campaign was good fun, or the free spartan ops content. No, that is not what gets people to like your game for the long haul.

People want to be challenged, otherwise what is that point? 343i messed up in thinking that if they made the game easier and more Joe-Shmoe friendly then everyone would have more fun? Right?
No. Wrong.

Easier does not equal broader audience. This is proven with H4. Halo is supposed to reward you for putting time into sharpening your skills and it would pair you up with people who have the same passion. GREAT! That’s what people who practice want, a challenge. Otherwise what is the point of practice? Halo 4 does not offer that exchange of practice and challenge.

-(Please don’t try and offer up CSR and a proposal to this I would play games against former pros one game, and then four people playing on the same screen the next.)-

And it would put the people who just kinda play halo for the “fun” of it. -(In quotations because us who like to hone our skills have fun as well, but in a different manner)- and they would have fun splashing around in explosive halo goodness.

Think back to some classic boarding action back in the day on LAN with your buddies. Now imagine if descoping wasn’t a thing. Not as fun having your friend sit up on sniper uncontested in his scope whether he is good or not melting you with his is excessive aim assist. Right?

Please 343i… I want to love you so hard. Let me love you.

and yet, everybody says the reason why CoD is popular is because it’s too easy.

Hmmm, maybe there’s more then a simple “reason” why the numbers a so low. Maybe it’s not so simple minded as people like to think…

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

To me, Halo 4’s multiplayer was a middle finger in the face of the highly skilled intelligent Halo player.

> and yet, everybody says the reason why CoD is popular is because it’s too easy.

I would think there is another reason people play COD, but hey. I can’t be foolish enough to understand the mindset of everyone and why they do what they do.

> and yet, everybody says the reason why CoD is popular is because it’s too easy.
>
> Hmmm, maybe there’s more then a simple “reason” why the numbers a so low. Maybe it’s not so simple minded as people like to think…

What’s even more fun is that while CoD is considered easy, League of Legens has more players than CoD. LoL is way more difficult than CoD, another game that’s rising in numbers is DotA 2, having surpassed LoL numbers in the West, or atleast that’s what I’ve heard. DotA 2 is considered to be more difficult than LoL as well.

Meh. They got some things right. But to be honest, I haven’t really enjoyed playing Halo non-stop since Halo 2. I don’t know whether it’s either me just simply getting bored of Halo, or if the developers keep failing to produce the same feel that made me want to play the game every time I came back from school and all weekend.

> > and yet, everybody says the reason why CoD is popular is because it’s too easy.
> >
> > Hmmm, maybe there’s more then a simple “reason” why the numbers a so low. Maybe it’s not so simple minded as people like to think…
>
> What’s even more fun is that while CoD is considered easy, League of Legens has more players than CoD. LoL is way more difficult than CoD, another game that’s rising in numbers is DotA 2, having surpassed LoL numbers in the West, or atleast that’s what I’ve heard. DotA 2 is considered to be more difficult than LoL as well.

Yeah, but those games are free (Can someone comfirm Dota 2 on this?) and rely on microtransactions.

Not only that, but the game fully encourages variety in heroes, abilities and items. Whereas many people are trying to surpress Halo down to just one OP weapon, and stepping back and forth. Kinda easy to see how a game with 6 different heroes, all with 4 different abilities, equipping unlimited combinations of items beats out the “one-gun only” gameplay of Halo.

> Yeah, but those games are free (Can someone comfirm Dota 2 on this?) and rely on microtransactions.
>
> Not only that, but the game fully encourages variety in heroes, abilities and items. Whereas many people are trying to surpress Halo down to just one OP weapon, and stepping back and forth. Kinda easy to see how a game with 6 different heroes, all with 4 different abilities, equipping unlimited combinations of items beats out the “one-gun only” gameplay of Halo.

DotA 2 cost some 25 euros if you want a beta key immediatley, or then you can get beta invites from Valve but that’s all down to time when you get it, or then you can get invites from friends on steam who has gotten invites to send out. I think I have some 20 invites to give people.

There are tons of free games out there that rely on microtransactions, that doesn’t mean that they pull a big population.

There are other ways to make a game complex than through “gun-play”, also if you didn’t notice, i343 made an attempt to get away from it with custom loadouts, too bad the DMR is an equipable weapon.

LoL and DotA 2 are highly competitive games, as was Halo CE, Halo 2 and Halo 3, all getting praise from the competitive community. Yes I know there was hate for those as well. Halo 4 doesn’t live up to that competitiveness that the other games had, while it’s only one of the problems Halo 4 has, I’d say it contributes as most playlists are more “social” than they are competitive, as opposed to previous games where the competitive playlists outnumbered the social ones. Even most social playlists could be played competitivley.

halo has been around a long time, the low numbers could just be that people have moved on from halo and no matter what tweaks 343 does would not bring back the previous players or generate significant new ones. Every game seems to have a life cycle and halo might be near the end of it’s. I still play it and enjoy it but maybe I am in the minority.

>
> Hmmm, maybe there’s more then a simple “reason” why the numbers a so low. Maybe it’s not so simple minded as people like to think…

Maybe people like Halo because it’s Halo? In the eyes of casuals Halo is now nothing more than a BLATANT rip off of Call of Duty.

If they wanted CoD wouldn’t they, I don’t know, play CoD?