The option to disable Dynamic Lighting:

As a forger, I would like the ability to disable dynamic lighting.
“Why would you want to do that, it’s such an amazing feature!” may you ask?

Well, here’s why.
I love, love, LOVE to forge! I absolutely love to! I love making flood maps, slayer, ctf, mini games, all that stuff that fuels custom games, i even host my own weekly custom games.

1: In halo reach, I made a BTB slayer map that used up most of the forge world, i called it “Site Halo”. In my description, it was basically a huge forerunner structure filled area. I had structures like installation 04 on it, mine ones, and such things like that laying around the entire forge world. There were locations on the forge world I made where they had vehicles, sniper rifles, and hideout areas. It was one of my very best maps, everyone that played it absolutely loved it.
I now can’t do this, because the size of the current forge maps, and here’s the big part. You guessed it, dynamic lighting. I want to make large maps again, and i will use what i have, because I absolutely love Halo 4. I would just like the option to disable dynamic lighting when I want to create large maps, because when i do try, it just breaks the lighting in the game, and i’m forced to make smaller versions of my maps.
2: I also made many maps all indoors. Now in Halo 4… all of my indoor maps are all dark and sort of depressing…
3: I would really like the option to turn it off while i’m forging. I know it’s only a few seconds to wait for, but the repetitiveness of the “generating shadows” thing gets sort of annoying. It would be better if there was an option to “refresh shadows” or “produce shadows” or something along that line.

This is very upsetting to me, I feel like i’m more limited with my map sizes, way I have to forge, and interruptions in forge sessions…
Here’s what i would like to see done exactly:

1. The option to turn off dynamic lighting WHEN you forge.
  2. The ability to turn it off for specific maps so dynamic lighting won’t show completely (Ex. All indoor maps and large maps)

Don’t get me wrong 343, I absolutely love Dynamic lighting, it makes all of my maps so much better! I would just like the option to turn it off for my indoor maps, while i’m forging, and for very large maps.
That’s what I think. I would LOVE 343 to do that, because I feel that it wouldn’t limit forgers so much.
What do you’s think? Discuss, vote, and please be nice to your fellow halo lovers!

The dynamic lighting is actually awesome, I made a post about it sometime last year. But somtimes it does get annoying. Especially on impact, and erosion.

I’m pretty sure if you set the pieces to spawn around 10 seconds later, after the map generates the lighting, dynamic lighting doesn’t effect those forge pieces.

I have found that nova, i think that’s the one, lol. It works well when maps are to dark without throwing off the colors too much. Do you think it’s possible to turn it off?

I completely agree. I Forge semi-often, and the generating lighting, while it only takes a few seconds, adds tons of wasted time to your build and makes you not want to switch back to Spartan mode as frequently, meaning it’s more difficult to test jumps, lines of sight, and man cannons/grav lifts.

I also agree on your opinion about large maps and broken lighting. The feature crashes completely on maps with too many objects on it, which is a bummer, and makes all indoor areas completely shady.

Honestly, I had to change my pants when I first saw the dynamic lighting, but now that I’ve seen how broken, clunky, and annoying it is, I wish I could just turn it off. It really is a shame, it was probably a great idea on paper, just executed slightly wrong. But I guess that could be said about Halo 4 as a whole.

> I have found that nova, i think that’s the one, lol. It works well when maps are to dark without throwing off the colors too much. Do you think it’s possible to turn it off?

I’m not sure i understand what you’re typing…

> I’m pretty sure if you set the pieces to spawn around 10 seconds later, after the map generates the lighting, dynamic lighting doesn’t effect those forge pieces.

That’s very time consuming and difficult. Absolutely no one wants to do that.

> > I’m pretty sure if you set the pieces to spawn around 10 seconds later, after the map generates the lighting, dynamic lighting doesn’t effect those forge pieces.
>
> That’s very time consuming and difficult. Absolutely no one wants to do that.

Not as long as it would take to remake some of your favorite Post Halo 3 forge maps on Sandbox/Foundry.

> > I have found that nova, i think that’s the one, lol. It works well when maps are to dark without throwing off the colors too much. Do you think it’s possible to turn it off?
>
> I’m not sure i understand what you’re typing…

Sorry, I should have made myself more clear. The Nova special effect, found in gadgets. Turns dark areas bright. Or you can always throw a light in a dark area.

At the very least make it every time you save the game instead of every time you turn into a human. God, it’s annoying to have to stare at it buffering all the time. But of course the results are awesome. I love the dynamic lighting!

It’s terrible for Forging with friends… absolutely awful.

Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4gU0tzLzEE

Now you can have some things be affected by Dynamic Lighting, and others not.

Your welcome.

EDIT: Missed that reply that basically said that this concept is time-consuming and no one wants to do it. There’s a solution: each time you place a block, change the settings. There you go. Change the settings as you forge. :3

> > > I’m pretty sure if you set the pieces to spawn around 10 seconds later, after the map generates the lighting, dynamic lighting doesn’t effect those forge pieces.
> >
> > That’s very time consuming and difficult. Absolutely no one wants to do that.
>
> Not as long as it would take to remake some of your favorite Post Halo 3 forge maps on Sandbox/Foundry.

You can do this all you want, but the real question…
Should you HAVE to do this to get rid of shadows?

> Here you go:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4gU0tzLzEE
>
> Now you can have some things be affected by Dynamic Lighting, and others not.
>
> Your welcome.
>
> EDIT: Missed that reply that basically said that this concept is time-consuming and no one wants to do it. There’s a solution: each time you place a block, change the settings. There you go. Change the settings as you forge. :3

That’s doing the same act thing but in a different way. The point is we SHOULDN’T have to do that. I’m proposing that 343 just add a simple feature (which I’m sure isn’t smole for them at all) where you can just have the option t disable dynamic lighting.

Ill be honest, not once have I done this technique yous keep presenting, just because im lazy, and I don’t like having to do that. I feel that there should be an option to have dynamic lighting taken off in some of your maps.
I feel that technique very, very irritating and time consuming.
As a forger, I’ve spent countless hours, days even making forge maps.
I don’t think I could sit there and switch settings around on every SINGLE BLOCK, JUST to turn off dynamic lighting.

I’d atleast like it not to generate shadows every time I turn into a Spartan.

This should definitely be an option!

I never understood the logic behind the implementation of dynamic lighting.

Reach’s Forge was incredible, sure some extra options would have made it better but nothing about it was bad, except for the frame rate issues on highly detailed maps due to lack of processing resources.

Why introduce something like dynamic lighting when it increases the resources required? How can some one take Reach’s forge and then decided to add something which works against its only flaw and amplifies the problem!

I would have been more than satisfied with a direct clone of Reach’s Forge which had all the frame issues resolved.

Instead we got what we got and now forging is just something that I used to do

> It’s terrible for Forging with friends… absolutely awful.

It’s extremely lame when you use it for playing with guests. The game will literally stop everyone.

It kind of ruins my little cousins experiences when they are over and want to forge something with me.

> > > I’m pretty sure if you set the pieces to spawn around 10 seconds later, after the map generates the lighting, dynamic lighting doesn’t effect those forge pieces.
> >
> > That’s very time consuming and difficult. Absolutely no one wants to do that.
>
> Not as long as it would take to remake some of your favorite Post Halo 3 forge maps on Sandbox/Foundry.

I never had experience with forging on sandbox or foundry because I had no internet connection when Halo 3 was out. Don’t get me wrong though, i still forged on sandtrap and such. I moved out at 18, which was when Halo reach released so I only have experience with that forging.

Aside from my life story, the thing is though, nobody wants to do that. I mean not literally but still that’s a pain in the -Yoink- to do to every single piece. I don’t think we should use some glitch just to get dynamic lighting turned off. Using a GLITCH is just to get rid of your shadows on your map is sort of ridiculous when the option should already, or be made for us. Not trying to sound all demandy, but this is what i’m proposing.

I remember 343 made a big deal out of the whole lighting thing and now it seems that it does more harm than good.

It’s probably a good idea on paper, it just doesn’t work well when you actually want to see inside of buildings.

> I remember 343 made a big deal out of the whole lighting thing and now it seems that it does more harm than good.
>
> It’s probably a good idea on paper, it just doesn’t work well when you actually want to see inside of buildings.

I don’t think so, I LOVE dynamic lighting. It’s does a lot of good, I remade maps from halo reach I made, and holy crap they look AMAZING. We just need the option to disable it sometimes for certain maps or when forging, that’s all.